johnnyg83
06-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Good series win after the weekend.

SoxNation05
06-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Let's even it up with the Cubbies.

The Immigrant
06-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Taking 2 out of 3 on the road is never easy. With the way our offense has been struggling, this was a big win.

Not a good week at the plate for Crede.

btrain929
We did not deserve this win with the errors and all the LOB, but we grinded it out, which is great to see, ESPECIALLY on the road.

Now let's do work against the Scrubs @ home.

sox1970
Let's even it up with the Cubbies.

Big picture--let's come home and win 8 of 10 on this homestand.

kidmccarthy
06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
2 of 3 great pitching performances is nice. I just hope our righties can hold the cubs down a bit. suck it up and win the next series!

BadBobbyJenks
06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Danks worked his behind off today to get this win.

All I will say about the offense is they scored more than the Dodgers did.

Lets go take this series with the Cubs and return to American League games.

We don't control what the Twins do so who cares, just keep taking series.

Carolina Kenny
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
We did not deserve this win with the errors and all the LOB, but we grinded it out, which is great to see, ESPECIALLY on the road.

Now let's do work against the Scrubs @ home.

We didn't deserve this win?

Our pitching was stellar. All you need to do is score one more than the opposition. Yes we made errors but we also made at least three outstanding defense plays.

JB98
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Pitching was great today, and a couple great DPs as well.

Offense stunk, but the other team isn't going to win if you don't let them score any runs.

D. TODD
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Typical game of missed oppurtunities to put this one out of reach. I'm glad to see our pen lock it down though to make the 2 runs hold up.

It's going to be a long jovial trip for Coop.:redface:

btrain929
06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
We didn't deserve this win?

Our pitching was stellar. All you need to do is score one more than the opposition. Yes we made errors but we also made at least three outstanding defense plays.

I'm not taking anything away from us, but Danks was getting himself into a lot of trouble with guys in scoring position with only 0/1 out. Now, of course, he did an outstanding job getting out of those situations, but this is a game we typically lose.

I'm glad we didn't this time around.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
It's a step in the right direction...maybe a small step by a good one never the less. I hope they play better against the Cubs this weekend.

Lip

Madscout
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
White Sox pitching and defense everyone. Pitching and defense.

I wouldn't mind if all of them were like this. The errors were not big errors, excepting maybe Toby's. The hitting was timely and clutch. We were on base a lot. We put pressure on them and responded well to pressure on us. All in all, a good win.

veeter
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
John Danks is the man. Something might be wrong with Joe. The Cooper stuff is hilarious. Now, let's kick the **** out of the cubs.

JB98
06-26-2008, 05:22 PM
John Danks is the man. Something might be wrong with Joe. The Cooper stuff is hilarious. Now, let's kick the **** out of the cubs.

I don't think there's anything serious wrong with Crede. We all know how streaky he can be. Right now, he's on a bad streak.

voodoochile
06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Taking 2 out of 3 on the road is never easy. With the way our offense has been struggling, this was a big win.

Not a good week at the plate for Crede.

As many key offensive pieces as aren't playing or are playing hurt this was a real gut check the last 3 days. This team has such a great approach to the game. They don't seem to let the little things get them down and they seem to approach each game as it comes. Not saying they've been the model of consistency, but there have been numerous chances for the Sox to say **** it and go into a serious funk and they keep fighting back.

:winner

:supernana:

:)

btrain929
06-26-2008, 05:25 PM
As many key offensive pieces as aren't playing or are playing hurt this was a real gut check the last 3 days. This team has such a great approach to the game. They don't seem to let the little things get them down and they seem to approach each game as it comes. Not saying they've been the model of consistency, but there have been numerous chances for the Sox to say **** it and go into a serious funk and they keep fighting back.

Well put, absolutely.

johnnyg83
06-26-2008, 05:26 PM
5 ERs in a three game series is good.

russ99
06-26-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't think there's anything serious wrong with Crede. We all know how streaky he can be. Right now, he's on a bad streak.

Very true, but we don't really know the extent of his back problem and how much pain he has to play with. It may not be the main factor in his cold streak, but it has to affect him somewhat, especially when swinging a bat.

Good series winning 2 of 3 without our big bats. Let's kick some butt this homestand, especially Monday as 9 of my co-workers are joining me at the game! Oh, and win the Cubs series too...

October26
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Just got back in town (was on vacation with the family this week). Very happy to hear that the Sox hung on to win this game and take the series from the Dodgers. How about John Danks getting the win and his first major league hit in this game. Kudos to Johnny Danks! :bandance:

JB98
06-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Very true, but we don't really know the extent of his back problem and how much pain he has to play with. It may not be the main factor in his cold streak, but it has to affect him somewhat, especially when swinging a bat.

I have to think the Sox would have sat him out another game if it were a serious concern. Certainly, this one game with the Dodgers was not important enough to jeopardize Crede's long-term health.

The Sox medical team is excellent. If they felt OK with Joe being out there, then I'm certain he's well enough to play.

russ99
06-26-2008, 05:31 PM
I have to think the Sox would have sat him out another game if it were a serious concern. Certainly, this one game with the Dodgers was not important enough to jeopardize Crede's long-term health.

The Sox medical team is excellent. If they felt OK with Joe being out there, then I'm certain he's well enough to play.

Good points, but I can't imagine he's out there playing pain-free. But I am glad he got in the game today. If he were out longer I was worried it may be a relapse of last year's problems.

btrain929
06-26-2008, 05:32 PM

I agree. On the whitesox.com article, they said it was tight on Tuesday, and he was ready to go yesterday, but they gave him that day off too just as a precautionary. So he was definitely ready to go today.

Like someone else said, he's far from a consistent hitter. His highs are great, his lows suck. We know where he's at now. But the best time to bust out is at home, which he has this weekend.

thomas35forever
06-26-2008, 05:32 PM
The offense could can pounced on more opportunities, but the pitching picked up the slack and as a result, we won 2 of 3 in Chavez Ravine.

This team could have easily folded after getting swept at Wrigley, but they refused to back down, and that is why people are happy with this team. We've gone 6-4 in our last ten games. Forget any winning streak the Twins may have. We're going to win the division, people.

russ99
06-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I agree. On the whitesox.com article, they said it was tight on Tuesday, and he was ready to go yesterday, but they gave him that day off too just as a precautionary. So he was definitely ready to go today.

Like someone else said, he's far from a consistent hitter. His highs are great, his lows suck. We know where he's at now. But the best time to bust out is at home, which he has this weekend.

Plus, the Cubs have the audacity to move Dumpster up so he can get in another start "before the All Star Game". I sure hope we break out tomorrow, and make up for Sunday night.

btrain929
06-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Plus, the Cubs have the audacity to move Dumpster up so he can get in another start "before the All Star Game". I sure hope we break out tomorrow, and make up for Sunday night.

Indeed. I have no idea how he's doing so well this year. He looks like a 2 pitch pitcher to me. His fastball that sinks, and his not-overwhelming slider. We need to crowd the plate to take away the outside corner. He won't be able to blow it by them on the inside. But I'm sure Walker will cover all this tomorrow morning.....

Rdy2PlayBall
06-26-2008, 05:39 PM
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7544/whitesoxwinau9.jpg
Wow.... this game had a great result... but why can't the Twins lose!!!??? :angry: I didn't feel to safe with a 6.5 game lead, I'm dieing over here! :whiner:

Foulke You
06-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Indeed. I have no idea how he's doing so well this year. He looks like a 2 pitch pitcher to me. His fastball that sinks, and his not-overwhelming slider. We need to crowd the plate to take away the outside corner. He won't be able to blow it by them on the inside. But I'm sure Walker will cover all this tomorrow morning.....
The good news is that I believe Dempster is winless on the road this year if I remember correctly. I agree, I don't know how Dempster is doing it this year. I thought he'd be a disaster in that rotation. Perhaps that new glove motion he does is deceiving hitters more than we think?

JB98
06-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Good points, but I can't imagine he's out there playing pain-free. But I am glad he got in the game today. If he were out longer I was worried it may be a relapse of last year's problems.

I'm sure that Joe isn't entirely pain-free. He probably won't be for the rest of his career with the day-to-day demands of the sport. And every time he struggles, people will wonder whether the back is acting up.

Like I said earlier, though, Joe is a streaky player. I think he's just in a down cycle now. He'll get hot again. Hopefully, this homestand.

Foulke You
06-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm sure that Joe isn't entirely pain-free. He probably won't be for the rest of his career with the day-to-day demands of the sport. And every time he struggles, people will wonder whether the back is acting up.

Like I said earlier, though, Joe is a streaky player. I think he's just in a down cycle now. He'll get hot again. Hopefully, this homestand.
I hope you're right. Crede is definitely a streaky player so this could just be one of his "down" times but watching Joe hit in his last 5 or 6 games, I can't help but flashback to how he looked in April of '07 for us before he went down for the whole year. I'm hoping the latter is not the case.

hawkjt
06-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Danks just gutted this one out...and made a couple of spectacular defensive plays in the process. Even got his first hit. What a day for the young guy.

Goshdarn twins would go 160-2 if they played in the NL...they do get the brewers this weekend I believe....maybe they could get one game vs the twins? Is it too much to ask?

Good series, just hope the sox recover from a west coast trip by 3 oclock tomorrow. Still cannot believe they send a team to the coast for 3 lousy games.

JB98
06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I hope you're right. Crede is definitely a streaky player so this could just be one of his "down" times but watching Joe hit in his last 5 or 6 games, I can't help but flashback to how he looked in April of '07 for us before he went down for the whole year. I'm hoping the latter is not the case.

This isn't the first slump that Crede has gone through this year, so I'm just not overly concerned. The struggles today could have been the result of rust too. With the off day Monday, Joe hadn't faced live pitching since Sunday.

Thome_Fan
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Wow.... this game had a great result... but why can't the Twins lose!!!??? :angry: I didn't feel to safe with a 6.5 game lead, I'm dieing over here! :whiner:

My head hurts...

I was at work through most of the game today. What did Coop do?

markopat
06-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Good for Danks...good win!

Now let's whip up ont he Flubs!

GoGo SOX!

Lip Man 1
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
It is amazing what's going on suddenly in the division. Twins have won 9 of 10, Tigers have won 7 of 10, Royals have won 9 of 10.

This division or at least some of the teams are starting to play the way many thought about the division in general heading into this season.

The Sox need to step it up a notch.

Lip

JB98
06-26-2008, 05:57 PM
It is amazing what's going on suddenly in the division. Twins have won 9 of 10, Tigers have won 7 of 10, Royals have won 9 of 10.

This division or at least some of the teams are starting to play the way many thought about the division in general heading into this season.

Lip

Remember, those clubs are all beating up on the hapless NL West. We'll see if they can keep it going once normal American League play resumes.

The Sox have gone 9-3 against NL teams not named the Cubs. Our competitors do not have to face the team with the best record in the NL six times.

btrain929
06-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Lip

The start was taking 2 of 3 on the road, and it will continue as we slay the team with the best record of either 2 of 3, or a 3 game sweep. With them being below average on the road, us getting Thome back, along with no Soriano, Zambrano, and a hurting Fukudome, it's definitely possible.

SoxGirl4Life
06-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Remember, those clubs are all beating up on the hapless NL West. We'll see if they can keep it going once normal American League play resumes.

The Sox have gone 9-3 against NL teams not named the Cubs. Our competitors do not have to face the team with the best record in the NL six times.

100% agree with this post.

delben91
06-26-2008, 06:08 PM

Lip

Many thought the Twins and Royals would play .900 ball this year? And the Tigers .700 ball?

Seems to me they might be using hot streaks to get back towards playing well as a whole, but I don't think you'll find anyone that thought the Twins would play .900 ball this year...

jabrch
06-26-2008, 06:09 PM

And they still have to face us more. For the record, against the AL Central we are 21-11. Only Minny is above .500 (19-15). None of them have had significant success against us YTD.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2008, 06:10 PM

You've got that right!

In fact, the AL is just clobbering the NL right now, 122-83. That's right, the AL is a combined 39 games better than the NL in interleague play. Only Toronto, Cleveland and Seattle have losing records against the NL. Only the Mets, Atlanta and Colorado have winning records against the AL.

SoxfaninLA
06-26-2008, 06:16 PM

Yea, Minnsota and Detroit are both fattening up big time on the crappy NL. Minnesota has lost only 1 game against the NL, and neither of them had to deal with the Cubs 6 times. However, we also lost 2 of 3 to the Rockies, so we had our chance to fatten up a little more against weak competition and couldn't get the job done. That series against them still makes me angry.

Another not so great day for the offense, but enough to get the job done. Crede is VERY cold right now, and has been for a week. Hopefully he turns it around soon because he is an automatic out right now when he gets up there. The offense should look a little better tomorrow when we get back home and can use Thome again.

MarySwiss
06-26-2008, 06:28 PM

Lip

Seriously, Lip! I e-mailed as much to a Tribe fan friend, who is no doubt borderline suicidal. There's no way Cleveland is a last-place team. The Twins, Tigers, and Royals have been on an incredible roll, but they have to come back down to earth sometime.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, the Sox need to step it up a little bit because the rest of the division has feasted on the inferior NL. But I think they will step it up, given that they still have more home games then road games remaining.

They can start by taking advantage of their home field for the next 10 games against the Cubs, Indians and A's, and then go on the road and beat up on the inferior Royals and Rangers. Then comes the All-Star Break, and then six more home games against the Royals and Rangers. They close out July with three at Detroit and four at Minnesota.

I think August looks promising, too, with its 16 home games. Starting with three at KC, they then come home for three with Detroit, four with Boston and three more with KC. Although Detroit and especially Boston are tough, every home game is winnable. After a short trip for three games at Oakland (always tough), they come back home for three with Seattle (who should be out of it by then) and three with the Rays (who are not the same on the road). They then travel to Baltimore and Boston.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Delben:

No the experts didn't think the Twins and so forth would play .700 ball but most thought the A.L. Central was the strongest and toughest division in baseball based on what had been achieved in the post season by those clubs since 2005.

Right now three of the hottest teams in baseball all hail from the A.L. Central and methinks you probably knew that in the first place.

JB:

But unfortunately despite the unfairness of it, those games against the bad N.L. West count. The Sox remember played the Giants, Dodgers and Rockies as well. I hope that Rockies series doesn't come back to haunt them in September.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
06-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Danks pitched like he was utterly pissed off at something for virtually this entire outing (perhaps due to his recent lack of fortunes). He took out a ton of frustration on the Dodgers this afternoon. There was just no way the Dodgers were gonna win this game with Danks and his snakelike reflexes and perfectly located pitches. Well done, Johnny!

Hang a star on that defense by Alexei Ramirez! Hawk truly knows what he's talking about when he voices his opinion that he's the smartest *baseball* player on this team. He's always seemingly doing the right thing at the right time.

Let's have a nice homestand now!

MarySwiss
06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Let's have a nice homestand now!

Absolutely! We are so due! The Twins have won nine straight and are still looking up. Must suck to be them, huh?

Frankfan4life
06-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Wow.... this game had a great result... but why can't the Twins lose!!!??? :angry: I didn't feel to safe with a 6.5 game lead, I'm dieing over here! :whiner:I feel your pain. But, unless the Twinkees go into an immediate tailspin and the Sox begin a nice win streak, I think we may have to accept the fact that the Sox will be looking up from second place in the near future.

The real test will be remaining healthy and playing good baseball so that we can stay close enough to the Twins to regain and keep the top spot in the second half. It can be done.

TomBradley72
06-26-2008, 07:12 PM

I think you're on to something....I don't think it's as bad as last season...but it's definitely having an impact on his swing and his ability to drive the ball.

JB98
06-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Delben:

No the experts didn't think the Twins and so forth would play .700 ball but most thought the A.L. Central was the strongest and toughest division in baseball based on what had been achieved in the post season by those clubs since 2005.

Right now three of the hottest teams in baseball all hail from the A.L. Central and me thinks you probably knew that in the first place.

JB:

But unfortunately despite the unfairness of it, those games against the bad N.L. West count. The Sox remember played the Giants, Dodgers and Rockies as well. I hope that Rockies series doesn't come back to haunt them in September.

Lip

As I said, we're getting fat against the bad teams in the NL too. We're 9-3 against the Giants, Dodgers, Pirates and Rockies.

The difference is we have to deal with the Cubs, while our competitors do not.

It would have been nice to get one more win against the Rockies, but in the big picture, it's not as if the Sox are getting their asses kicked by inferior NL teams.

They did, however, get their asses kicked by the Cubs last weekend. That hurt them in the standings, as other AL Central clubs pounded inferior NL teams while we struggled against perhaps the strongest team in the NL.

Bucky F. Dent
06-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Great Job Danks!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go beat up on the cubs!!!!!

MCHSoxFan
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM

OUTSTANDING! This is EXACTLY why I do NOT give up on this team until our season is actually over. People are saying this was a bad win or whatever. I am at the point where I will take ANY win! Just like the that Grinder Ball Rule (I believe it is #162): Only one stat matter.W. YEESSS!!!

MCHSoxFan
06-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Absolutely! We are so due! The Twins have won nine straight and are still looking up. Must suck to be them, huh?

Yes we are! I am soo feeling a GREAT home-stand. Especially versus the A.L. teams.

Railsplitter
06-26-2008, 09:02 PM
This win was uglier than an elephant's butt, but the banana dances. :bandance:

How long has been since the Sox sandwhichwd a loss between two wins? Ay Least a month.

Frankfan4life
06-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm watching the encore presentation of today's Sox/Dodgers game and in the 6th inning Danks hit a liner right back up the middle for his first ML basehit. If Dodger pitcher Cory Wade hadn't ducked, the ball would have beaned him.

Apparently, Wade wasn't too happy about Danks' hit. After the Sox called for the ball, Wade started to throw it into the Sox dugout and then thought otherwise and turned and threw it into the Dodger dugout. The batboy grabbed the the ball and threw it to a coach who then tossed the ball across the infield to the Sox dugout.

In my opinion Wade's actions seemed to be bush league. I'm sure he wanted the ball when he got his first ML hit. I know pitcher's don't like giving up a hit to the opposing pitcher but this was an AL pitcher who doesn't get many opportunities to hit. I can see this happening if it was a blowout or something so I can't figure out why Wade didn't want to give Danks the ball. Did anyone else think Wade was being a jerk?

BoysMom3
06-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Great job by Danks. Wow, loved that dp where Alexei scooped the ball from his glove right to 2nd base without putting a hand on it. That was so cool!

Anyone know what it's like in the left field bleachers at the Cell? Hubby and I will be there Sat.!

SoxSpeed22
06-26-2008, 11:41 PM
The Sox stunk again with situational hitting, but lucky for us the Dodgers suck and the defense was great.

TDog
06-27-2008, 12:41 AM
The Sox stunk again with situational hitting, but lucky for us the Dodgers suck and the defense was great.

Wait, did Danks pitch great or did the Dodgers suck? Did the Sox play great defense or did the Dodgers suck?

The Sox took the lead on a two-out, man on second hit after a sacrifice. (Swisher looked like he was bunting for a hit, and in fact would have had a hit if not for a great defensive play.) The next inning they got another hit with a runner in scoring position, both against a lefty pitcher they had never seen before.

The Sox won without hitting a home run. They had two successful sacrifices, but people can obsess over the failed sacrifice by a player who won't hit again unless the Sox get in the World Series.

I thought it was a great win.

ArkanSox
06-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Missed this one, but caught the highlights. Nice D by Danks on the line-drive double play. Good catch by JD. I had no idea that Danks would be this good, especially not this soon. He's pitching like the ace of the staff.

The offense remains mainly offensive, but the Sox do have guys who've been there and have done it before, so who knows?

As frustrating as this season has been and most probably will continue to be, it looks like we're gonna be in for quite a roller coaster ride. :o:

It's Dankerific
06-27-2008, 02:07 AM
I had no idea that Danks would be this good, especially not this soon. He's pitching like the ace of the staff.

I've been trying to tell you guys =)

Another Dankerific performance today!

SBSoxFan
06-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Wait, did Danks pitch great or did the Dodgers suck? Did the Sox play great defense or did the Dodgers suck?

The Sox took the lead on a two-out, man on second hit after a sacrifice. (Swisher looked like he was bunting for a hit, and in fact would have had a hit if not for a great defensive play.) The next inning they got another hit with a runner in scoring position, both against a lefty pitcher they had never seen before.

The Sox won without hitting a home run. They had two successful sacrifices, but people can obsess over the failed sacrifice by a player who won't hit again unless the Sox get in the World Series.

I thought it was a great win.

You're right, but Ozzie should have pinch hit for Danks in that situation.

Danks is now second in the AL in ERA.

SoxGirl4Life
06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
I've been trying to tell you guys =)

Another Dankerific performance today!

I hope you had a chance to go to the game!

palehozenychicty
06-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Not a crisp win, but I'm glad they held on. We need today's game too. The flubs will be ready after getting blown out by the Birds yesterday.

soxpride724
06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Not a crisp win, but I'm glad they held on. We need today's game too. The flubs will be ready after getting blown out by the Birds yesterday.

Just what we need too, someone to ignite that ofense.