PDA

View Full Version : Talk me off the ledge

G-Ville Sox
06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
After last weekends sweep at Wrigley, and staying up to watch that last night, please tell me something to calm me down.

And do go with the whole "We are in first place" because that 6.5 game lead that had us all up in arms 17 days ago, is down to .5, and it seems as if Minnesota is not going to lose again.

Maybe it is just me, and I know that I am over-thinking everything. But I feel this is our first "must win" of the season. With the Cubs coming in, another bad loss today, followed by a bad weekend, could be the end of our once promising season.

I dont know...It's still June...

CHISOXFAN13
06-26-2008, 10:50 AM
What part of that Twins series here did you not see?

Just curious. We took them to the woodshed four times.

This is starting to get ridiculous.

It's a LONG season.

fusillirob1983
After last weekends sweep at Wrigley, and staying up to watch that last night, please tell me something to calm me down.

And do go with the whole "We are in first place" because that 6.5 game lead that had us all up in arms 17 days ago, is down to .5, and it seems as if Minnesota is not going to lose again.

Maybe it is just me, and I know that I am over-thinking everything. But I feel this is our first "must win" of the season. With the Cubs coming in, another bad loss today, followed by a bad weekend, could be the end of our once promising season.

Look at the last 3 words of your post. I can't do anything else to help you.

hi im skot
8e-vgQSqNtA

jabrch
I refuse to waste time trying to talk you off the ledge.

Get off it yourself. Jump for ****sake. Who cares? If you are that much a freaking bandwagon jumping coward that you need a bunch of strangers to tell you that everything is OK - then my badwagon doesn't need your rooty poo candy ass. Go...whereever you want to go...just don't come back if/when we heat up again.

btrain929
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
The Twins, recently, have played WAS, a struggling ARI team, and SD. Coming up for them will be: MIL, DET, CLE, BOS, DET, with the last 2 being on the road. That's a pretty tough schedule.

We have: Cubs @ home, CLE @ home, OAK @ home, KC, and TEX. Hopefully we can stretch our lead back out to 5-8 games in that timeframe before the All Star Break.

sox1970
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
May 15:
Cle 22-19 -
Sox 20-20 1.5
Min 20-20 1.5
KC 19-21 2.5
Det 16-25 6.0

Since May 15:
Sox 22-15
Det 21-15
Min 22-16
KC 17-22
Cle 13-24

It's a baseball season. Peaks and valleys. The Sox are in it, and that's all you can ask for from a good, but not great team.

Jurr
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
You just have to ride it out. Period. That's the fun of an MLB season. This team frustrates the absolute hell out of you, but at least they're still in contention. The offense is the personification of streaky, especially against pitchers they haven't seen. Well, thank God the Sox play a TON of games against pitchers they are familiar with in the division. Hopefully the pitching holds up.

This team is going to be up and down all year probably. You'll be on top of the world for a week, only to want the team blown apart the next. You have to take it for what it's worth. This team could get hot and win the whole thing, or they could fall off the face of the earth. Who knows? At least they're in contention, and that's all you can ask as a sports fan - you need a chance. It's a lot better than the alternative (the '07 season).

Remember, even during that season where the Sox won it all, there were times that each and every Sox fan was ready to swallow a grenade. The beauty of sport is that moments of absolute dejection can be followed by moments of pure bliss.

Just stay tuned. We're here with you.

Jurr
06-26-2008, 10:59 AM
By the way, go youtube "Chopper Reed". He's got a great quote for you. Very apt.

voodoochile
06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
One Month ago today...

The Sox were 5 games over .500 entering action on 5/26. They are currently 7 games over .500.

The Sox lead on their divisional rivals was/is:
Minnesota 3 games - currently .5 games
Detroit - 6.5 games - currently 5 games
KC - 7 games - currently 7 games
Cleveland - 4.5 games - currently 7.5 games

The myth is that the Sox built their big lead over the course of an entire season. In reality it happened in 4 days when they swept Minnesota. Starting next week they return to playing AL teams and of the 81 games left at that point in time, 40 of the Sox games will be against ALC opponents. They are currently 21-11 against those teams.

In addition, of those 40 games 15 will be against the KC Royals, who have put on a nice run recently but really aren't that good.

June was a weird month, long win and losing streaks left fans grabbing for the railings, but if they can stay healthy, there is simply no reason to think they won't be smack dab in the middle of the pennant race come September.

SoxfaninLA
06-26-2008, 11:28 AM
The whole year is probably going to be up and down like this. The team is going to look real good one week and real bad the next week, that's the position our offense has put us in. Lucky for us this is still a very weak division that we have a very good chance of winning. Cleveland has been awful and may start selling in a couple weeks if they don't turn it around quick. Detroit has looked better of late and I think they will play better ball the rest of the year than they played the first couple months, but I don't see their pitching problems going away. Their starting pitching is very weak and their bullpen has been bad, although they are getting some injured players back it remains to be seen how effective those guys can be.

Minnesota is breathing right down our necks again but I don't fear this years Twins like previous years. They have gone 10-1 in interleague play to close the gap, but that doesn't surprise me because they are a little better suited for NL play than most AL teams are. They no longer have Santana, and their offense looks really really weak. I'm not saying they can't win the division but I don't have an impending sense of doom that I had in years before that the Twins were going to chase us down and embarass us in the second half.

Law11
06-26-2008, 11:29 AM
You didnt really think we were running the table in first the rest of the way did you? That lead was never going to hold up with our streaks..

That being said Minnesota is riding their first real spurt all year and it will end.
This division will go down to the final week. We finish the season in the nightmare dome for 3. Lets just hope those three games mean nothing just like in 05 vs Cleveland.

oeo
06-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Just jump...it's over.

SoxGirl4Life
06-26-2008, 11:33 AM

:gah:

:bitchslap:

TomBradley72
06-26-2008, 11:43 AM
We're an OK team....not a great team. I pegged us for 88 wins before the season....which about where we're headed at our current pace.

Mar/April: 14-11
May: 16-13
June: 12-10

We're lining up to be right next to Minnesota and Detroit at the All Star break. The team that goes on a hot streak for the 2nd half(or part of it) will win the division. If Konerko, Thome and Swisher come around and the pitching holds up...it could be us. If the Tigers' bullpen comes back, it could be them. Minnesota? You can never count them out. Hang on....we won't feel "comfortable" until the very end of September...if then.

russ99
06-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Also, I find it ironic that we had all this talk about the Sox trading or otherwise getting rid of Crede, Konerko and Thome either this season or in the near future.

The last few games we've seen the Sox without Konerko and Thome, and you can make a bit of a case for Joe's ineffectiveness in the Cub series due to his back.

I don't like what I see from the Sox without these guys. If these guys are back and even below career norms, we have a vastly better offense, and infield defense as well.

The only good thing I took from last night is that Alexei went 2-3 vs. a junkball speed-changing pitcher. He's adjusted to major league pitching much faster than anyone expected, and should play a huge part down the stretch.

KingXerxes
06-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Also, I find it ironic that we had all this talk about the Sox trading or otherwise getting rid of Crede, Konerko and Thome either this season or in the near future.

The last few games we've seen the Sox without Konerko and Thome, and you can make a bit of a case for Joe's ineffectiveness in the Cub series due to his back.

Does this speak more to the importance of Creded, Konerko and Thome or does it speak more to the absolute lack of depth in the organization?

hose
06-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Two months ago the media pundits were saying Danks and Floyd were suspects and Alexie couldn't hit MLB pitching. A month ago the media pundits were all saying Burles was crap and Floyd was great. Now Burles is great and Floyd sucks but Danks is solid.

hose
06-26-2008, 12:20 PM
add in the Twins putting together their best winning streak for the '08 season and the pundits have them over taking the Sox for good......or until next week when the Twins go 2-5.:rolleyes:

TomBradley72
06-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Does this speak more to the importance of Creded, Konerko and Thome or does it speak more to the absolute lack of depth in the organization?

We don't have good organization depth, but our depth behind these particular players is not that bad. Behind Crede we have Fields (health status?), behind Thome or Konerko we have Swisher to back fill. Bad timing to lose Paulie right as road interleague games were starting. Swisher back filling them meant playing time for Anderson and Wise.

Not alot of teams can lose their starting 3rd baseman, 1st baseman and DH w/out feeling the pain.

TommyJohn
06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Some numbers for you:

36-34
43-25
38-33
44-32
49-26

Those numbers reflect the White Sox records on June 26 in, respectively-1983 (won division) 1990 (2nd place) 1993 (won division) 1996 (mismanaged by utter jackass moron) and 2006 (3rd place). Now I am not a fan of comparing one season to another, because they were all vastly different teams playing under different circumstances. I am showing them merely to make a point-it is a long season. You will notice that in the years where their record was not-so-stellar, they went on to finish first. In the years that it was great, they didn't win a thing. This does not automatically mean they will win it this year. It just means that it is too early to be on the ledge.

I think many of us were spoiled by 2005. We want to see the White Sox pull away from the pack again and just run away from everybody. It seems clear that it won't happen this year. Doesn't mean that they are not capable of winning the division this year.

I realize that you could pull any old year out of your nose. I chose those for the reason stated above.

JB98
06-26-2008, 01:39 PM

It speaks to both. Even when struggling, Thome, Konerko and Crede bring a presence to the lineup. Pitchers know those guys are in scoring position each time they step in the box. Every pitch to Jim Thome is a high-stress pitch for the opposing pitcher. Pablo Ozuna, not so much.

One of the problems the Sox have is when they do have a guy in a slump, they have nowhere to turn. They have to keep trotting the slumping player out there, because this organization has no depth. Our major-league bench is subpar, and our triple-A club stinks.

As far as talking the original poster off the ledge, the division is a crapshoot this year. It's going to come down to which club stays healthy and which pitching staff holds up over the course of 162 games. On the latter, I'm pretty confident. I think our pitching is better than Minnesota's or Detroit's. On the former, I'm not so confident. Can we get the veteran core healthy and keep them healthy? Not sure. That's a huge question mark. We're seeing right now what happens when you take guys like Konerko and Crede out of the lineup. Ozuna and Anderson just ain't gonna get it done.

Chilli Palmer
06-26-2008, 01:40 PM
I refuse to waste time trying to talk you off the ledge.

Get off it yourself. Jump for ****sake. Who cares? If you are that much a freaking bandwagon jumping coward that you need a bunch of strangers to tell you that everything is OK - then my badwagon doesn't need your rooty poo candy ass. Go...whereever you want to go...just don't come back if/when we heat up again.

You stay classy now.

Madscout
06-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Some numbers for you:

36-34
43-25
38-33
44-32
49-26

Those numbers reflect the White Sox records on June 26 in, respectively-1983 (won division) 1990 (2nd place) 1993 (won division) 1996 (mismanaged by utter jackass moron) and 2006 (3rd place). Now I am not a fan of comparing one season to another, because they were all vastly different teams playing under different circumstances. I am showing them merely to make a point-it is a long season. You will notice that in the years where their record was not-so-stellar, they went on to finish first. In the years that it was great, they didn't win a thing. This does not automatically mean they will win it this year. It just means that it is too early to be on the ledge.

I think many of us were spoiled by 2005. We want to see the White Sox pull away from the pack again and just run away from everybody. It seems clear that it won't happen this year. Doesn't mean that they are not capable of winning the division this year.

I realize that you could pull any old year out of your nose. I chose those for the reason stated above.

Great post. Just great. Really puts everything in perspective.

Can we return to sanity around here? It is fun to trash our players and our ballculb when they don't do what we know they can, but what bothers me is when we expect them to fail. Let's take everything in stride, can we.:smile:

DumpJerry
06-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Jump.

Really. If you can't take this team, it's a good thing you weren't around in the 1970's.

TommyJohn
06-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Jump.

Really. If you can't take this team, it's a good thing you weren't around in the 1970's.

The 70s? Hell, I have many wonderful memories of the late 80s. By late May of the Jim Fregosi era, I was already just looking at Harold Baines' and Carlton Fisk's stats, because there was nothing else left to root for.

delben91
06-26-2008, 02:18 PM

You're right, the Twins aren't ever going to lose again. Ever.

It's all over, pretend the rest of the season doesn't exist.

LITTLE NELL
06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
I survived 68-69-70, you can do it, hang in there.

TommyJohn
06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I survived 68-69-70, you can do it, hang in there.

I was a baby in 1970. Seriously, any Sox fan that survived that season deserves a medal.

hose
06-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Jump.

SCTV use to open up with tv's being chucked out a high rise window.

WSI should show band wagoneers jumping off the upper deck at the Cell:D:

hose
06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I was a baby in 1970. Seriously, any Sox fan that survived that season deserves a medal.

been there done that:o:

jdm2662
06-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Jump.

My first season as a White Sox fan was 1985. Little did I know, that was by far the best season I would experience for the next five years. :o: That was bad enough. Give me this up and down season over those seasons any day of the week.

voodoochile
06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
If you truly want to get of the ledge, first you must understand. There is no ledge and thus jump or climb to safety all resides within yourself. Do get off the ledge or do not get off the ledge. There is no try. Once you succumb to trying to get off the ledge it is already too late, you have already jumped. In reality, the ability to get off the ledge resides within you for first you must realize, there is no ledge.

southside rocks
06-26-2008, 03:21 PM

I was a freshman in high school and in my 3rd year of rabid Sox fandom. I think 1970 was my first exposure to utter futility (although we got a glimpse of it in 1968). Thank heavens for Bill Melton and Tommy John.

I used to go to games in the all-but-empty Comiskey and bring a book with me to distract me from what was taking place on the field. A baseball book, of course.

I never liked Don Gutteridge. Never.

Daver
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Go ahead and jump.

ilsox7
06-26-2008, 04:56 PM
This is starting to get ridiculous.

Starting to get ridiculous? It's been this way for years now. Sad, really.

TommyJohn
06-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Go ahead and jump.

Great. Now Van Halen is stuck in my head.