PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle vs. Tom Glavine at Age 28

gobears1987
06-26-2008, 02:25 AM
I was looking at Baseball Reference and saw that they rated Buehrle and Glavine to be very similar through age 28. I decided to check the stats of each respective pitcher and this is what each had done through age 28.

As a point of reference, Buehrle's stats are form 2000-2007 while Glavine's are from 1987-1994. Both pitchers had 8 years of service time through age 28.

Win-Loss Record
Buehrle: 107-75
Glavine: 108-75

The similarity there is beyond striking. Those are near exact numbers through 8 seasons in MLB.

ERA
Buehrle: 3.80
Glavine: 3.58

Glavine has a better ERA, but only slightly better. Buehrle's higher number is likely indicative of the power hitters that dominate AL line-ups. I think we can call this a wash.

Games Pitched/Started
Buehrle: 259/234
Glavine 233/233

Games started is nearly identical, but that's no surprise when each pitcher has spent about the same amount of itme in a starting rotaiton and neither misses starts. This is a wash.

Complete Games/Shutouts
Buehrle: 22/7
Glavine 30/12

I was sort of shocked that Buehrle only had 7 shutouts, but one of those is a no-hitter. Still, the edge goes to Glavine here as he has more CGs and SOs.

Innings Pitched
Buehrle: 1,629.0
Glavine: 1522.3

Buehrle is ahead here, but the difference isn't that great. While each pitcher has started about the same number of games during the selected years, Buehrle had 25 relief appearances. Lets assume that Buehrle has gone about 75 more innings in games started then. That comes out to about an extra 1/3 inning per start for Buehrle. Not too much of a difference, but still a nice edge to the 200 IP per year workhorse.

Hits
Buehrle: 1,681
Glavine: 1,467

Glavine gave up fewer hits, but Buehrle also pitched more innings. Still, Glavine comes out ahead in hits per inning.

HRs
Buehrle: 187
Glavine: 104

This isn't surprising. Buehrle pitches in the #1 hitters park in baseball. Any Sox pitcher is going to give up a lot of home runs. Granted Glavine did pitch in County, but I believe more HRs are hit per season at the cell than were at Fulton County. Someone can check that one out.

Walks
Buehrle: 373
Glavine: 513

This is a clear edge to Buehrle and his amazing control.

Strikeouts
Buehrle: 943
Glavine: 904

Buehrle has the slight edge here. This surprised me as he isn't seen as a strikeout pitcher. Either way, his K/BB ratio is the clear winner here.

Sockinchisox
06-26-2008, 02:33 AM
I remember looking this stuff up last year after Glavine got his 300th W, and a host at MLB Radio asked if there would ever be another 300 game winner and if there was who would have the best shot at it. I put out Buehrle's name and he laughed it off and said you can't even compare someone like Buehrle to Glavine.

But ya, the stats are pretty similar.

Optipessimism
06-26-2008, 08:25 AM
I remember looking this stuff up last year after Glavine got his 300th W, and a host at MLB Radio asked if there would ever be another 300 game winner and if there was who would have the best shot at it. I put out Buehrle's name and he laughed it off and said you can't even compare someone like Buehrle to Glavine.

Those people don't pay attention to Mark Buerhle. He'll fly under the radar until he gets past 200 wins, then these people will admit that he was very good, but they'll then say he doesn't have much left. Typical. If he played for the Red Sox or Yankees all we'd hear about is, ironically, how unheralded he is.

oeo
06-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Although it is possible, Buehrle mentioned last year that he would not pitch long enough (by choice) to get to 300.

Tragg
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
And MB has had to pitch to a regulation-sized home plate. He might be able to make a strong run to 300 had he gotten an extra 6 inches on the outside corner for the first 15 years of his career.

WhiteSox5187
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM

I think that Buerhle and Glavine are very similar pitchers, but Glavine also benefited from playing on one of the power houses in the NL for years and years. The Sox have been good but not great while Buerhle has been with them. I think that is ultimately a big reason why he won't get to 300, but hey, maybe the Sox go on a string of fourteen straight divisional titles with Buerhle winning at least fifteen games every year. That would be ok in my book!

SouthSoxFan
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
In the 12 seasons 1991-2002, Glavine (age 25-36) racked up 209 wins with the Braves. He had 5 20+ win seasons during this time. The Braves won the division title 11 of those 12 years, and in 5 of those seasons won 100+ games. In other words, Glavine didn't achieve 300 alone.

Mark is unlikely to get that kind of advantage playing here. In fact, there's very few teams today that can put together that kind of consistency year after year.

haganaga
06-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Part of the reason Mark has more innings, I'd guess, is he isn't getting pulled in favor of a pinch hitter when his plate appearance would typically come up in the late innings.

PatK
06-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Part of the reason Mark has more innings, I'd guess, is he isn't getting pulled in favor of a pinch hitter when his plate appearance would typically come up in the late innings.

It could be, that would be something like 30 innings a year, right?

Thigpen "57"
06-26-2008, 11:17 AM
How cool! I had no idea that their stats were so comparable. Thanks for sharing this with us. Buehrle has been my favorite player for some time now, so its good to see that I can pull out some great info when I speak with some naysayers!

LITTLE NELL
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Glavine's numbers on ERA and hits are probably better beacause he did'nt have to face a DH 4 times a game.

SpartanSoxFan
06-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Nice work, gobears!!!! :gulp:

I think if Mark stays healthy and off those rain tarps, he should stay on pace to become a 300 game winner and become a Hall of Fame pitcher! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Madscout
06-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Nice work, gobears!!!! :gulp:

I think if Mark stays healthy and off those rain tarps, he should stay on pace to become a 300 game winner and become a Hall of Fame pitcher! :bandance::bandance::bandance:
The only question is if Glavine is a Hall of Famer with less than 300 wins? Say 230-250, same stats otherwise?

Britt Burns
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
And MB has had to pitch to a regulation-sized home plate. He might be able to make a strong run to 300 had he gotten an extra 6 inches on the outside corner for the first 15 years of his career.

Ha! That was my first thought as well. Maybe Eric Gregg can come out of retirement to call all of MB's starts.

veeter
06-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Ha! That was my first thought as well. Maybe Eric Gregg can come out of retirement to call all of MB's starts.Unfortunately Mr. Gregg is no longer with us.:(:

Pear-Zin-Ski
06-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Very cool man...thanks for sharing that....

ArkanSox
06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Man, the comparison between the two at the same stage of their careers is eerily similar and much closer than I would have ever suspected. The strikeout edge to Mark is a pleasant surprise also. Good info!

Tragg
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Ha! That was my first thought as well. Maybe Eric Gregg can come out of retirement to call all of MB's starts.
Or Frank Pulli.

asindc
06-27-2008, 03:35 PM

Ain't that the truth!