PDA

View Full Version : beyond the ivy...am I missing something?

my5thbench
05-07-2002, 04:36 PM
I had heard the ads on the radio & always wondered about
the appeal of the roof tops seats at Wrigley, so I visited
beyondtheivy.com, they show pics of views of the field &
you can't see most of the outfield, no surprise there. They also
show pics of the inside of the restaurants which appear to be
fine. the menu is of hot dogs & brats & hamburgers & potato
salad also beer wine & soft drinks......rather ordinary, all of
this for 100 bucks a person($150 for Sox games)......hmmmm
can't a person get into the park for far less than that?

Help me out here gang, have any of you ever sat on those
rooftops, & if so what was the appeal?

oh & go go SOXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cheryl
05-07-2002, 04:39 PM
I don't know what the appeal is now. I do know it used to be if you lived in one of those buildings, you could take a friend or two and some beers and lawn chairs and a radio and sit on the roof of your own building and see a little baseball. No, you couldn't see the whole field, but hey, it was free.

my5thbench
05-07-2002, 04:44 PM
that's what I thought it was supposed to be Cheryl......holy
macaral, it ain't free now

Kilroy
05-07-2002, 08:00 PM
If I'm the Cubs, I screw 'em and screw 'em hard.

nut_stock
05-07-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
If I'm the Cubs, I screw 'em and screw 'em hard.

and in the process, it would be nice if the cubs shoot themselves in the foot, alienating themselves with many of the casual fans.

Tragg
05-07-2002, 10:50 PM
From what I understand (and you guys are in Chi and know better than I) some people with rooftops make a business out of that and sell signficant numbers of tickets for signficant sums.

At the same time, the cameras pan the rooftops during games,and they use those rooftops to speak of the great culture and attraction of wrigley

Kilroy
05-07-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
From what I understand (and you guys are in Chi and know better than I) some people with rooftops make a business out of that and sell signficant numbers of tickets for signficant sums.

At the same time, the cameras pan the rooftops during games,and they use those rooftops to speak of the great culture and attraction of wrigley

Just go to that website, beyondtheivy.com, and you'll see what kinda business they have. 25-30 people on the roof at $100 bux a head, 81 times a year. That works out to almost a quarter mil. And the sox games are $50 bux more a head because they have a quality opponent at that dump.

voodoochile
05-08-2002, 12:27 AM
The novelty of it is what attracts people. It is one of those "Chicago things". Personally I think they would be better served to go to the game inside Wrigley (if they feel they absolutely must see the flubbies) and then spend the left over money on some deepdish pizza and a blues club, but I'm just an ignorant southsider...

Amazing what you can convince rich people to spend their money on...

Unregistered
05-08-2002, 12:35 AM

Yeah, i have some friends who live in those buildings, (as in, pay rent) and they have to pay just like anyone else to go on the roof during cubs games. At all other times, the gate to the roof is just locked, and anyone trying to get onto the roof is immediately evicted and their security deposit is kept.

These building owners have been doing this for a while...they've got it down to a science...

Procol Harum
05-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Personally I think they would be better served to go to the game inside Wrigley (if they feel they absolutely must see the flubbies) and then spend the left over money on some deepdish pizza and a blues club

Maybe WSI oughta hold a seminar for Cubbie fans called "You Too Can Have the Sense God Gave a Horse"
:woo-woo
"Can I (WOO!) get a (WOO!) scholarship? (WOO!)"

CubKilla
05-08-2002, 02:00 PM

That's what it used to be. Now, whole buildings are bought and converted to skybox-type rooms facing the field with the cheaper seats (outdoors) on the rooftops. What used to be a cultural attraction is now big business. It's more, "Look at me, on a rooftop, cellphone up to my ear, beer in the other hand, playing hooky from work, catching a Soso..... I mean Cub game. Ain't I hip? Ain't I cool?" Like Old Comiskey Park, the attraction is gone.