PDA

View Full Version : Baines still wants to play.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 07:30 AM
This from the Daily Herald:
Harold Baines hasn't played in a game since June 14, when he suffered a left hip flexor on an awkward swing against the Reds.

The White Sox' 42-year-old designated hitter has not been able to swing a bat since that time, and his retirement watch is still in effect.

But as he headed for another rehabilitation session Thursday prior to the Sox' game against the Royals, Baines said it's too early to think about ending his 22-year career.

"I still want to play,'' said Baines, batting just .133 with no home runs and 6 RBI before going on the disabled list. "I've been doing a lot of exercising to strengthen the muscles around the hip. It's feeling better, but I don't know when I can try to play.''

The best-case scenario would be for Baines to join Class AAA Charlotte in mid-August for the final two weeks of the Knights' season. He could then join the White Sox after Sept. 1, when 25-man rosters can be expanded.

The Sox could then promote their final home game of the season - Sept. 27 against the Twins - as Baines' swan song.

"I'm sure we'll figure out something,'' Baines said.

Iguana775
08-03-2001, 08:10 AM
the only position i would want him playing is assistant hitting coach. he should not be batting in a real game. period!!!

Spiff
08-03-2001, 01:03 PM
Maybe he should announce that he'll retire at the end of the season. Look what it's done for Ripken and Gwynn

Procol Harum
08-03-2001, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Maybe he should announce that he'll retire at the end of the season. Look what it's done for Ripken and Gwynn

Too late for that. Baines has already moved into the very ungraceful position of not seeming to know when to call it quits.

Bmr31
08-03-2001, 01:13 PM
How come baines cant see that he is finished??????????

Paulwny
08-03-2001, 01:36 PM
I can't belive he needs the money, or does he?

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:40 PM
I can't belive he needs the money, or does he?

No I doubt it with Reinsdorf as his friend I'm sure he is well taken care of.

rmusacch
08-03-2001, 01:57 PM
He really wants to get to 3,000 hits and I think that is why he cannot hang them up for good yet.

Paulwny
08-03-2001, 02:00 PM
God, he has to know that 3,000 hits are impossible even if he plays hext year.