PDA

View Full Version : Chacon and Astros GM fight

Sockinchisox
06-25-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't mean verbally, I mean physically.

Chacon was upset after being demoted to the bullpen and asked to be traded or released, and the problems stem from there. He has been suspended.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3461058

thomas35forever
06-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Steve Phillips said on Baseball Tonight that no GM is gonna wanna take a chance on Chacon if they're worried about his disagreeing on certain issues. He may have just thrown his last pitch in the Major Leagues.

High Mileage
06-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Somebody will pick him up, doesn't sound like it go too physical...

Tragg
06-26-2008, 12:11 AM
From what they said after the Astros game, I got the feeling that a)they wanted to demote him to AAA; and b)Chacon did the jumping and it was on Wade.
Baseball needs to suspend him for a year if he attacked Wade, just like the NBA did with Sprewell.
That would probably be better for Chacon if they did - I don't think anyone will sign him now. But if he serves an official setence, then someone would.

SoxNation05
06-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Can he play CF?

FedEx227
06-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Welcome Chacon... join Sidney Ponson, Steve Trachsel and Bruce Chen in my "Why the **** do teams keep signing these guys instead of giving a young player the same chance?" team.

pierzynski07
06-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Welcome Chacon... join Sidney Ponson, Steve Trachsel and Bruce Chen in my "Why the **** do teams keep signing these guys instead of giving a young player the same chance?" team.
:scratch: He's only 30, and was actually good last year.

oeo
06-26-2008, 08:21 AM
The Astros are a mess.

At least we haven't fallen as far as them since 2005.

Tragg
06-26-2008, 08:53 AM
The Astros are a mess.

At least we haven't fallen as far as them since 2005.
The Biggio/Bagwell era had a ton of playoff apperances.
We both have an aging core - theirs has aged faster; we both have thin ML clubs and thin farm systems. Until this year, we both had several lineup holes -they fixed theirs, we didn't fix ours. But they fixed it at a cost of pitching; we fixed our pitching and that's the difference today. And we both have managers mesmeried by Darin Erstad's skills.

That Jason Jennings trade they made was just horrible. Any GM should have been fired for that. You don't trade 3 young players to rent a decent pitcher for a year.

Frontman
06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
They just reported on ESPN that the Astros released him outright. Not a suprise.

russ99
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Put the steroids down, Shawn...

I'm glad they ditched him, he wasn't getting it done as a starter and his attitude (pre-attack) wasn't right for a reliever.

Also, despite the record this year, the Astros aren't in as big a mess as you'd think. They have a pretty solid core lineup. They also weren't too far behind the Cards until that big losing streak last week...

That said, Ed Wade completely hobbled the team this year by not adding a good starter (or 2 or 3) to the mix in free agency. He had to settle for guys like Chacon, and with Oswalt surprisingly falling off this year, there's zero starting pitching and marginal at best relief pitching.

Plus, the lack of top prospects in the system would prevent any kind of deal for decent pitching help this season as well. Looks like they'll have to ride it out and see what happens next year.

BTW: Darin's been pretty good this season...

scarsofthumper
06-27-2008, 01:06 AM
He could always join Mike Caruso in Joliet...

Soxfanspcu11
06-27-2008, 02:14 AM
I just heard an update to this story about 2 hours ago (Midnight, Friday Morning) on AM1000.

From what they said, it appears that there are 2 VERY different stories out there. The GM says that he was outright attacked and Chacon says that he was baited into physically attacking the GM. I heard an interview with Chacon and surprisngly, he didn't try to deny that he physically attacked the GM. However, like I said, he tried to make it seem like he was "forced" into attacking the GM. That the GM made it so tense, that he had no choice but to attack him.

I dunno. The whole thing is really weird. What I don't get however is that there were suposedly a bunch of witnesses. I mean, it was Chacon's teamates who ended up pulling him off the GM. So, if there were so many witnesses, how is it that we don't have the real/actual version of events? If the whole team was around, it seems to Me that we should have the REAL version of what happened by now. Shouldn't we? Perhaps Chacon's teamates don't want to rat him out? Maybe they had/have problems with the GM as well? What I do know though is that I would like to hear more about this story. Hopefully the team will start giving their accounts about this soon.

Frontman
06-27-2008, 08:01 AM
No matter what is said to you by your boss, you are never "forced" to attack him. That is pure utter "I'm a warriror, a gladiator, I need to protect my rep" BS.

The players have a union; and if the GM was being abusive enough to get you to be that PO'ed? Take the issue to the union and grieve it, period.

This type of issue needs to be addressed more with pro athletes. If I did that at the office?

1: Immediately suspended without pay

2: Arrested and charged with battery.

But an athlete? They get to do interviews and *try* to play off that they were victimized; that the GM "baited" him into attacking.

What is he, a badger?

gobears1987
06-27-2008, 08:17 AM
He could always join Mike Caruso in Joliet...
Something tells me that if Chacon is in Joliet, that he is far more likely to be at "the charmschool in Joliet."

russ99
06-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Great, now the union is claiming that the Astros broke the CBA by releasing him.

jdm2662
06-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Great, now the union is claiming that the Astros broke the CBA by releasing him.

Surprise!

Does anyone really think anyone on the team is going to rat out Chacon? No way they side with management. But hey, it's ok to beat up GMs... How dare they upset you!

russ99
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Surprise!

Does anyone really think anyone on the team is going to rat out Chacon? No way they side with management. But hey, it's ok to beat up GMs... How dare they upset you!

It's gonna be a tough sell, since manager Cecil Cooper was right there for the whole thing. I don't see how Chacon's going to get out of it with his "new" story.

I_Liked_Manuel
06-27-2008, 11:21 AM
it's a good thing for chacon that kenny williams wasn't his gm

Jerko
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2007/11/05/KIxWW3fE.jpg

Come on, I'm sure this guy "forced" a pro athlete to start kicking his ass. :rolleyes: