PDA

View Full Version : Fresno State Wins it All

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Congrats to the Fresno State Bulldogs for coming out of nowhere to win the 2008 College World Series. They weren't even supposed to get out of the regionals!

SoxNation05
06-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Steve Detwiler was ridiculous. That three run shot was killed and shut down Georgia.

chaerulez
06-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Truly a great accomplishment by this team, this is like a #14 seed winning the NCAA basketball tournament.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Despite our top prospect being unable to get a championship under his belt, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this entire series. Last night's game was one of the wildest sporting events I've watched in a long time!

Congrats, Fresno State.

MeteorsSox4367
06-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Congrats to Fresno State. Seeing an underdog win the national championship was pretty cool. Just another reason why college baseball should receive more attention in the national spotlight.

As for Gordon Beckham, I'm anxious to see what he can do for the Sox. Hershiser mentioned on the broadcast that he believes Beckham could play third, short or second.

Sockinchisox
06-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Good for them, now get Beckham signed.

UofCSoxFan
06-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Truly a great accomplishment by this team, this is like a #14 seed winning the NCAA basketball tournament.

This is what I've been telling people and they all seem pretty suprised. But they were a 4 seed out of a four team regional, had to then face the winner of another regional, and then beat out 8 other teams at Ohmaha...so they were one of the bottom 8 seeds in a 64 team field, the equivalent of a 13 to 16 seed in the tournament.

For some more perspecitve, UIC, Eastern Illinois, and Columbia University (the alma mater of Lou Gherig) where all 4 seeds as well.

DSpivack
06-25-2008, 11:24 PM
My cousin lives in Fresno and is a Bulldog graduate active in the foundation..congrats to them.

AZChiSoxFan
06-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Congrats to the Fresno State Bulldogs for coming out of nowhere to win the 2008 College World Series. They weren't even supposed to get out of the regionals!

Actually, they weren't even supposed to get INTO the regionals. They had to win the WAC tourney just to make the field of 64.

It won't get much attention because it's college baseball, but IMO, this is one of the truly amazing stories in the history of American sports.

Congrats to Fresno State.

voodoochile
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Just one more example of how you can't take anything for granted in this game.

MeteorsSox4367
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Actually, they weren't even supposed to get INTO the regionals. They had to win the WAC tourney just to make the field of 64.

It won't get much attention because it's college baseball, but IMO, this is one of the truly amazing stories in the history of American sports.

Congrats to Fresno State.

AZ: I agree that college baseball doesn't get the attention it deserves. While college football and hoops rule the world, college baseball and hockey, as well, should be more in the spotlight, but unfortunately aren't.

soxfanatlanta
06-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I loves stories like this; team gets no chance of winning and ends the season on an historic run.

Where have I heard that before?

I also have an additional satisfaction of seeing the UGA fans mope around: they are almost as bad a Boston fans.

PatK
06-26-2008, 11:05 AM

Yet is seems the Sox season is over according to half of this board.

daveeym
06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Dude, their VORP is horrible and they STILL only have a 3% chance of making the CWS.

AZChiSoxFan
06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Dude, their VORP is horrible and they STILL only have a 3% chance of making the CWS.

CLASSIC!!

AZChiSoxFan
06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I also have an additional satisfaction of seeing the UGA fans mope around: they are almost as bad a Boston fans.

Are their fans really that bad? I'm worried because I have season tix to Ariz State football and UGA comes here to play on Sep 20th. I'm anxiously awaiting the Dawg invasion.

hose
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
A good example of a team getting hot at the right time.

Shades of the Colorado Rockies last year but only winning it all.

OkStateSox
06-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Are their fans really that bad? I'm worried because I have season tix to Ariz State football and UGA comes here to play on Sep 20th. I'm anxiously awaiting the Dawg invasion.
OSU played at UGA last year. If you are used to SEC fans then Georgia fans are fine. Just watch out for 20ozbulldog.

AZChiSoxFan
06-27-2008, 10:13 AM
OSU played at UGA last year. If you are used to SEC fans then Georgia fans are fine. Just watch out for 20ozbulldog.

Thanks for the tip. LSU played ASU in Tempe back in 2005 and I had no issues with their fans. However, experience has taught me that fans of teams who have actually won something (LSU) are much more civilized and easier to deal with, as opposed to fans of good teams who haven't won it all (I know UGA won the title, but that was almost 30 years ago now).

Viva Medias B's
06-27-2008, 10:29 PM

So, let's say that if Loyola were to win the Horizon League tournament and get into the Big Dance as a 14-seed and go all the way to win its second national championship....