PDA

View Full Version : Here Come the Brewers.

It's Time
06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Can they keep it up? IMO, they are more equipped to hang with the Cubs then the Cards.

The Immigrant
06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
They need to pick up a decent starting pitcher at the trade deadline. Not an ace necessarily, but even someone like Paul Byrd could really help them out in the stretch run.

KenBerryGrab
06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah, losing Gallardo was a big blow for them. If they could get a guy like Paul Byrd, they could hang in there until the end.

PatK
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
The Cubs fans I know are so obsessed with the Cards they are forgetting about the Brewers.

palehozenychicty
06-25-2008, 11:42 AM
I think they need a pitcher for both the rotation and bullpen. That pen is a nightly antacid reflux.

Do they have anyone to promote from within?

voodoochile
06-25-2008, 11:44 AM
The Cubs fans I know are so obsessed with the Cards they are forgetting about the Brewers.

Not mine. In the exchanges this weekend, one of them specifically mentioned the hard charging Brew Crew. That's who I picked to win the division anyway.

bigsoxfan420
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
On Mully and Hanley this morning they were discussing CC Sebathia and a potential trade. They mentioned the Brewers, saying that they have a better farm system and would be able to make a better trade with the Indians. That would be interesting for the N.L. Central race, and plus we wouldn't have to see Sebathia almost never again. :bandance:

oeo
06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
On Mully and Hanley this morning they were discussing CC Sebathia and a potential trade. They mentioned the Brewers, saying that they have a better farm system and would be able to make a better trade with the Indians. That would be interesting for the N.L. Central race, and plus we wouldn't have to see Sebathia almost never again. :bandance:

I'd much rather the Indians hold onto him this year. Their chances of re-signing him are slim, so we'd likely not see him in the division again next year anyway.

WisSoxFan
06-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Living in Wisconsin most of the Brewer fans I know are currently looking for toward the wild card. Not thay they have conceded the division title to the Cubs, but they simply want to reach the post-season. It's been 25 years, or is it 26, since the Brew Crew have reached the playoffs.

They do have some good prospects that should make them players at the trade deadline. Most of their fans that I talked to are assuming they will lose Sheets to free agency so, it seems to me, they would prefer to trade for a pitcher who wouldn't be a two-month rental, but if that is what gets them into October that would be fine.

DumpJerry
06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty certain that the talk about CC going to the Cubs in a trade is all that: talk. The Cubs have no more quality prospects to deal to The Tribe. The Tribe's GM is very, very, very good. After all, he won MLB Executive of the Year in 2005 for........darn, I don't remember what he did for the 2005 team that no other MLB GM did for their team in 2005 to improve the team. Not one....:rolleyes:

ComiskeyBrewer
06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
The brewers have quite a few bats in the upper minors(laporta, Gamel. Escobar, and Salome come to mind), but no real pitching outside of Luis Pena, who many feel could be the next brewers closer. All of the pitching prospects seem to be in the low minors, with the exception of Tim Dillard. I would love to get a top line SP at the deadline, but not at the expense of Gamel or Laporta(those two have been projected as 30-40 HR guys). Anybody else i don't care. Manny Parra has pitched very well lately(30IP/10 ER in his past 5 starts) and is a big reason why if the brewers win today, they will have gone 24-10 in their last 34 games.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
I think the Brewers are a good hitting team and like almost every team they could use some bullpen help and some help in the rotation (I wonder if Greg Maddux might be on the market and wouldn't want to work with his brother who is their pitching coach). However I think it's weird because at this time last year the Brewers looked to be running away with the division and the Cubs caught them. Now all the talk is about the Cubs, the best team in baseball, etc. etc. could perhaps the Brewers sneak up on them and steal the title like the Cubs did last year? I hope so!

palehozenychicty
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I think the Brewers are a good hitting team and like almost every team they could use some bullpen help and some help in the rotation (I wonder if Greg Maddux might be on the market and wouldn't want to work with his brother who is their pitching coach). However I think it's weird because at this time last year the Brewers looked to be running away with the division and the Cubs caught them. Now all the talk is about the Cubs, the best team in baseball, etc. etc. could perhaps the Brewers sneak up on them and steal the title like the Cubs did last year? I hope so!

That would be a beautiful thing. :D:

hi im skot
06-25-2008, 03:06 PM
That would be a beautiful thing. :D:

Just as long as they don't get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

gobears1987
06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
I'd rather see the Indians lose Sabathia to FA than trade him for prospects who can potentially hurt the Sox for several years.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Just as long as they don't get swept in the first round of the playoffs.
How about a Sox/Brewers World Series!

twsoxfan5
06-25-2008, 03:42 PM
I dont think there is anyone in the NL Central that is good enough to catch the Cubs. I think they will win that division with ease. Although I hope I'm wrong.

bluestar
06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
They need to pick up a decent starting pitcher at the trade deadline. Not an ace necessarily, but even someone like Paul Byrd could really help them out in the stretch run.

But they already have Jeff Weaver in AAA! :redneck

South Side Irish
06-25-2008, 04:30 PM
I dont think there is anyone in the NL Central that is good enough to catch the Cubs. I think they will win that division with ease. Although I hope I'm wrong.

The Cubs have had a smoking start and are on pace to win 100 games. Even with that, they are only 3 and 5 games up on the Cards and Brewers. They're also 1-2 and 2-4 against those 2 teams. The Cardinals have 10 players on the DL - TEN! - including their projected 1-2-3 starters and the best player in baseball. The Brewers have overcome a rough start and the loss of their 1 A/B starter, showing some maturity along the way. The Brewers have got some trading pieces, too, though I don't know what salary they can take on.

The Cubs are the best team in the NL, talent wise. They SHOULD win the Division. However, don't discount the competition, especially the Cards. Lest we forget the 2006 squad? http://weberpc.net/images/cardinals.jpg

These rivalries have a way of creating some crazy outcomes, and don't overlook the panic that would sweep the North Side should September come and the Cubs lead is 1-3 games, or has shruken to the - gasp - Cardinals!:popcorn:

Zisk77
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I'd rather see the Indians lose Sabathia to FA than trade him for prospects who can potentially hurt the Sox for several years.

If the tribe loses CC to free agency then the tribe will recoup 2 sandwich picks in the draft I believe, from the team that signs him anyway.

I just hope The Brew Crew and beat the Twinkies this weekend.

johnr1note
06-25-2008, 04:42 PM
The Cubs have had a smoking start and are on pace to win 100 games. Even with that, they are only 3 and 5 games up on the Cards and Brewers. They're also 1-2 and 2-4 against those 2 teams. The Cardinals have 10 players on the DL - TEN! - including their projected 1-2-3 starters and the best player in baseball. The Brewers have overcome a rough start and the loss of their 1 A/B starter, showing some maturity along the way. The Brewers have got some trading pieces, too, though I don't know what salary they can take on.

The Cubs are the best team in the NL, talent wise. They SHOULD win the Division. However, don't discount the competition, especially the Cards. Lest we forget the 2006 squad? http://weberpc.net/images/cardinals.jpg

These rivalries have a way of creating some crazy outcomes, and don't overlook the panic that would sweep the North Side should September come and the Cubs lead is 1-3 games, or has shruken to the - gasp - Cardinals!:popcorn:

The thing about the 06 Cardinals is they were a team that suffered a LOT of injuries. The team that entered the playoffs in 06 with only 83 wins had weathered a lot, and was basically the full, healthy roster of the same team that had won 100 games in the previous two seasons. The 06 Cards were a good team -- a potential 100 win team hampered by injury -- unlike the 07 Cubs, who were basically what you got -- an 85 win team in a poor division.

The Cubs are on pace to win 100 games? At this same time in 2005, the White Sox were on pace to win 113 games. That's because the Sox hadn't experienced a slump yet. That came in August and part of September. This year;s Cubs haven't slumped yet, either. They have lost 3 games in a row -- once -- so far. Injury, off days/weeks, bad outings will catch up to them. I can't see this team winning 100 games. 90? Maybe. But if the Cards, Brewers, and Astros can be as competitive as they have made noise with at times this season, head to head competitions within the NL Central could prove to be the Cubs undoing.

KenBerryGrab
06-25-2008, 04:43 PM

They released him.

South Side Irish
06-25-2008, 04:47 PM
The thing about the 06 Cardinals is they were a team that suffered a LOT of injuries. The team that entered the playoffs in 06 with only 83 wins had weathered a lot, and was basically the full, healthy roster of the same team that had won 100 games in the previous two seasons. The 06 Cards were a good team -- a potential 100 win team hampered by injury -- unlike the 07 Cubs, who were basically what you got -- an 85 win team in a poor division.

And that's exactly why I refuse to discount the Cardinals specifically. If Wainwright-Carpenter-Mulder come back strong (doubtful, but possible), they've got a pitching chip or two to deal for another bat. This team has some similarities to the '06 version with the injury connection.

The Cubs are on pace to win 100 games? At this same time in 2005, the White Sox were on pace to win 113 games. That's because the Sox hadn't experienced a slump yet. That came in August and part of September. This year;s Cubs haven't slumped yet, either. They have lost 3 games in a row -- once -- so far. Injury, off days/weeks, bad outings will catch up to them. I can't see this team winning 100 games. 90? Maybe. But if the Cards, Brewers, and Astros can be as competitive as they have made noise with at times this season, head to head competitions within the NL Central could prove to be the Cubs undoing.

I'm just saying mathematically the Cubs are on pace to win 100. You're right - something will slow them down at one point. The Cards and Brewers - who have already experienced these slumps/injuries - will be waiting to pounce on that chance.

getonbckthr
06-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Find somebody to pitch the 9th and then talk to me.

PatK
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Chris Carpenter is done for the year and a good portion of next with Tommy John surgery.

One stat I found interesting over the weekend was that the Cards starters had something like the best win percentage in the league, or most amount of wins by their starting pitchers. Something like that.

Someone help me, my mind is a bit foggy due to my surgery two weeks ago and the Vicodin in my system.

South Side Irish
06-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Chris Carpenter is done for the year and a good portion of next with Tommy John surgery.

I'm assuming it's the Vicodin, but Carp was hurt last year in his first start, missing the rest of '07 and part of THIS year. He's expected back by August, as Dr. James Andrews has checked his elbow and given him the green light to proceed with rehab. Unless there's some breaking news I'm missing. Your post freaked me out so I went right to the message boards to double check. Phew!

South Side Irish
06-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Find somebody to pitch the 9th and then talk to me.

The Brewers are in trouble. Is Gagne closing again? My worry about the Cards is that they let Izzy close again, which could be bad. Otherwise Ryan Franklin is doing a fine job as closer right now. And if not, arms like Chris Perez are ready to step up.

BadBobbyJenks
06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
The Brewers are in trouble. Is Gagne closing again? My worry about the Cards is that they let Izzy close again, which could be bad. Otherwise Ryan Franklin is doing a fine job as closer right now. And if not, arms like Chris Perez are ready to step up.

Salomon Torres is closing who is more than capable of pitching the 9tj. He was doing a pretty good job last year with the Pirates until getting hurt.

South Side Irish
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Salomon Torres is closing who is more than capable of pitching the 9tj. He was doing a pretty good job last year with the Pirates until getting hurt.

I forgot all about him - didn't he get hurt or do poorly to start the year? I thought something happened to put Gagne back in the closers role.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Actually, he was released.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-25-2008, 10:39 PM
The Brewers have got some trading pieces, too, though I don't know what salary they can take on.

Mark A has been quoted as saying that "we aren't a small market team(spending wise)", and that he will add whatever salary is needed to make a run.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I forgot all about him - didn't he get hurt or do poorly to start the year? I thought something happened to put Gagne back in the closers role.

Nope. Torres is 12 for 12 i think, and Ned has already said that Gagne will move back into a supporting role.

Tragg
06-26-2008, 12:13 AM
The Brewers are foolsgold.