PDA

View Full Version : Dempster Question

Madscout
06-25-2008, 12:53 AM
I was talking to a guy at work shortly before the game on Sunday, and he pointed out that there was a cubs pitcher that was balking every time he threw. He mentioned that this pitcher tapped his glove three or four times before throwing. Sure enough, Dempster does that before every delivery. How can he do it if it so by the book a balk? I find it destracting that he does it not the same amount of times, which could be either a double clutch or an attempt to confuse the hitters. Thoughts?

JB98
06-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Not a balk. A balk is an attempt to deceive the runner.

Madscout
06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Not a balk. A balk is an attempt to deceive the runner.
Still a pitchers foul. You could argue that every pitch he does that is a ball. Balk when runners on base.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Once you come set, if you separate your hands you must go to a base or to home. If you even flinch after you come set with runners on base, it's a balk.

Eddo144
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I've always thought that umpires will allow motions that are technically balks as long as it's part of the pitcher's regular delivery. In this case, if Dempster is doing it every pitch, it shouldn't be deceiving anyone and umpires won't call it.

Jaffar
06-25-2008, 01:31 PM
My friend asked him on Monday (Ron Santo golf outing) why he does that and he said he starting doing it because he was tipping his pitches and it was the solution they came up with to get him to stop because he does it every pitch. I don't know the specific rules but I don't see an umpire calling it a balk anytime soon.

munchman33
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I've always thought that umpires will allow motions that are technically balks as long as it's part of the pitcher's regular delivery. In this case, if Dempster is doing it every pitch, it shouldn't be deceiving anyone and umpires won't call it.

But he doesn't do it the same amount of times every delivery. In essence, he IS trying to fake out the batter and thus balking.