PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Ejected

RKMeibalane
06-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3459528)

DumpJerry
06-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Did they wake him up to let him know he had to leave?

Huisj
06-24-2008, 11:53 PM
John Kruk says the umpire baited Beltran into arguing with him, and then when Manuel came out upset about that, the umpire bumped him and then threw him out, and that made Beltran mad, and the ump threw him out. :scratch:

On the replay, it actually did look pretty dumb on the umpire's part--he knew Beltran was upset, and instead of just proceeding with the game, he slowly stepped out in front of the plate to brush it off, only he didn't really brush it off; he looked at Beltran and started talking back to him. I don't think that's the ump's job. Then when Manuel came out, the ump went ballistic at him. Pretty stupid.

Elephant
06-24-2008, 11:58 PM
I went to grade school with Jerry Manuel's daughter's grandfather's nephew. Look it up.

CHIsoxNation
06-25-2008, 12:18 AM
I went to grade school with Jerry Manuel's daughter's grandfather's nephew. Look it up.

I played baseball with Jerry Manuel's son in high school.

:hijacked: I got to know Jerry on a somewhat personal level since I was friends with his son in high school, and as much as he failed coaching the Sox, he was also a great guy. My younger brother was in the hospital recovering from an accident (not his fault) that put him in a coma and Jerry was kind enough to have some of the guys on the team sign some things for my brother to brighten his spirits during his recovery. We tried working out some of the guys visiting him in the hospital but at the time the team was in Arizona so the schedule didn't work out.

Having said that, I find it pretty amusing that he got thrown out of a game.

Blueprint1
06-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Umpire was in the wrong on this one. The Umpire bumped into the manager and should be suspended. If the manager makes contact he is suspended why should it not work both ways?

WS in 05
06-25-2008, 01:31 AM

went to high school with his daughter, even had some classes with her(real nice girl). Even remember hawk talking about jerry being home for her graduation/my graduation while the sox where on the road.

So jerry manuel was at my HS graduation. Jealous much?:redneck

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Umpire was in the wrong on this one. The Umpire bumped into the manager and should be suspended. If the manager makes contact he is suspended why should it not work both ways?I agree. I've seen the replay several times now, and there is no question that the umpire initiated the contact and then immediately tossed Manuel. He seriously needs to be suspended if MLB wants to have any sense of fairness.

gobears1987
06-25-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm no fan of Manuel, but the ump is completely to blame here. WTH is it with MLB umps this year? They seem to be getting worse and worse with each passing season.

People say that Hawk is bitching more and more, but I think the umps are just screwing up more and more. 90% of the time when Hawk complains about an ump, he's right. Now the umps aren't trying to screw us (well other than Cuzzi they aren't) as they blow calls both ways. I honestly think it's time for Questek to get serious consideration in place of real umpires.

HebrewHammer
06-25-2008, 02:53 AM

Did he stay awake for the whole thing?

Railsplitter
06-25-2008, 08:13 AM
:thud:

spawn
06-25-2008, 09:05 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Kruk. That umpire injected himself into the game by basically escalating the confrontation with Beltran by supposedly cleaning off the plate. Then he bumps Manuel before ejecting him? That was utter bull****. If a player can be disciplined for his actions on the field, then this guy deserves some kind of punishment as well.

Hokiesox
06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Umpire was in the wrong on this one. The Umpire bumped into the manager and should be suspended. If the manager makes contact he is suspended why should it not work both ways?

Because his temporary replacement from the minor leagues is going to be worse. It's about labor, and I think there's a shortage of capable professional umpires in the industry.

scarsofthumper
06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Kruk. That umpire injected himself into the game by basically escalating the confrontation with Beltran by supposedly cleaning off the plate. Then he bumps Manuel before ejecting him? That was utter bull****. If a player can be disciplined for his actions on the field, then this guy deserves some kind of punishment as well.Agreed

CHIsoxNation
06-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Manuel threatens with "drastic" (http://www.nypost.com/seven/06252008/sports/mets/enough__jerry_talks_shakeup_117136.htm) changes if the Mets don't start producing.

Sounds awfully familiar.

scarsofthumper
06-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Manuel threatens with "drastic" (http://www.nypost.com/seven/06252008/sports/mets/enough__jerry_talks_shakeup_117136.htm) changes if the Mets don't start producing.

Sounds awfully familiar.As long as he doesn't rap in a commercial with Joe Girardi i'll be fine with it.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2008, 03:48 PM
If a player can be disciplined for his actions on the field, then this guy deserves some kind of punishment as well.
AND, I think that all disciplinary actions taken against the umpires should be made PUBLIC, much like every action taken against a player. We as fans should be able to know what happens to the umps.

comerica
06-25-2008, 06:59 PM
I was at the Tigers/Cardinals game last night and the ump went ballistic on LaRussa for what seemed like no real reason. LaRussa had come out to argue a controversial home run call(on replay LaRussa was right about the call anyway), but he seemed pretty calm about it. I little bit later the ump threw off his mask and started screaming at the Cardinal dugout. I can only assume something was yelled from there, but I was sitting right behind it and didn't hear anything. Umps are crazy this year, no wonder Pinella is going with this "kindler, gentler" act.

Hitmenof77
06-26-2008, 03:59 AM
Because his temporary replacement from the minor leagues is going to be worse. It's about labor, and I think there's a shortage of capable professional umpires in the industry.

That's not true. There are enough regular umpires to replace somebody who maybe hurt, suspended or on vacation. It's not like they only have 64 regular umpires.

AZChiSoxFan
06-26-2008, 09:59 AM

Did he snore during the ceremony?

DumpJerry
06-26-2008, 05:41 PM
The Umpire involved has been suspended for a game (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8285900/MLB-suspends-ump-over-Mets-run-in) by MLB.

Good for Bud. He finally does something right.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2008, 01:00 AM
The Umpire involved has been suspended for a game (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8285900/MLB-suspends-ump-over-Mets-run-in) by MLB.And he publicly apologized to Manuel.

Hitmenof77
06-27-2008, 02:43 AM
The Umpire involved has been suspended for a game (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8285900/MLB-suspends-ump-over-Mets-run-in) by MLB.

Good for Bud. He finally does something right.

Did you forget to use teal for the last line? One game??? Players and managers usually get 3-5 game suspensions. No question the ump should have gotten suspended. But the suspension should have been at least 5 games.