PDA

View Full Version : AARRRRR!!! Double-A Aardsma back with a vengence!!!

SpartanSoxFan
06-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Who is this guy? Last year he couldn't buy a strike. This year, he is throwing lights out, 96-99 MPH. Tonight he struck out Eric Byrnes with the bases loaded at the top of the ninth to hold the score at 2-1.

Last year's stats:

Record: 2-1
6.40 ERA
25 G
32.1 IP
23 ER
17 BB
36 SO

This year's stats:

2.60 ERA
32.2 IP
24 H
10 ER
21 BB
36 SO

To top that off, Jason Veritek was quoted as saying Aardsma is the hardest pitcher he has ever caught :o::o::o:. That says something considering Paplebon and Beckett are also caught by him!!!

Where did Coop go wrong with this guy???

gosox41
06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Who is this guy? Last year he couldn't buy a strike. This year, he is throwing lights out, 96-99 MPH. Tonight he struck out Eric Byrnes with the bases loaded at the top of the ninth to hold the score at 2-1.

Last year's stats:

6.40 ERA
25 G
32.1 IP
23 ER
17 BB
36 SO

This year's stats:

2.60 ERA
32.2 IP
24 H
10 ER
21 BB
36 SO

To top that off, Jason Veritek was quoted as saying Aardsma is the hardest pitcher he has ever caught :o::o::o:. That says something considering Paplebon and Beckett are also caught by him!!!

Where did Coop go wrong with this guy???

I saw that on ESPN tongiht and I couldn't believe it.

It just goes to show maddeningly inconsistent most relievers are.

Bob

Lip Man 1
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
It may not have been a question of Cooper "going wrong" with him as much as it may have been Cooper not having enough time to really work with him.

Remember last season the entire bullpen was basically one big project and Cooper only has so many hours in a day, he may have been overloaded and missed something.

If that is the case and who knows for sure, you can't blame him. You have to think about who put him in that position in the first place.

Lip

SpartanSoxFan
06-23-2008, 10:08 PM
It may not have been a question of Cooper "going wrong" with him as much as it may have been Cooper not having enough time to really work with him.

Remember last season the entire bullpen was basically one big project and Cooper only has so many hours in a day, he may have been overloaded and missed something.

If that is the case and who knows for sure, you can't blame him. You have to think about who put him in that position in the first place.

Lip

Point taken. I guess I shouldn't single out Coop since Rothschild couldn't straighten him out either. But it seems like Boston has a knack for taking castoff relievers and breathing new life into them. See Foulke, Keith...

getonbckthr
06-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I remember Aardsma dominating early in the season. Then after Jenks pitched 3-4 days in a row we used Aardsma in a save situation. He got shelled. He never looked the same again and the idea of any confidence was far from reality.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Point taken. I guess I shouldn't single out Coop since Rothschild couldn't straighten him out either. But it seems like Boston has a knack for taking castoff relievers and breathing new life into them. See Foulke, Keith...
Foulke has a pretty good year in Oakland as I recall.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I remember Aardsma dominating early in the season. Then after Jenks pitched 3-4 days in a row we used Aardsma in a save situation. He got shelled. He never looked the same again and the idea of any confidence was far from reality.
He gave up a HR to Marcus Thames and never recovered.

Huisj
06-23-2008, 10:31 PM
He gave up a HR to Marcus Thames and never recovered.

Yeah, before that game, he had been blowing guys away like crazy with super hard fastballs. Then he kind of treaded water for a bit, and then he completely blew apart against the Cubs when they shelled him hard. He started throwing lots of bad sliders and lost confidence with his fastball and was just horrible.

Yes, he's blowing guys away this year with his fastball again, but it looks like his control problems still loom now and then--he has 23 BB in 36 innings. It also looks like he's not exactly one of their primary setup guys, because a ton of his appearances seem to be in losses, and he's only been around for 3 holds.

He's kind of like a right-handed Matt Thornton. He can be lights out and dominating for decent stretches of time with his overpowering fastball, but he can lose it in a hurry too when the pressure is on and take a while to find it again.

oeo
06-23-2008, 10:50 PM
He's still walking a lot of guys, and eventually that will bite you in the you know what.

DumpJerry
06-24-2008, 02:02 AM
He led all relievers in strikeouts in April last year. Then the wheels fell off. Big time.

balke
06-24-2008, 08:32 AM
I said when Boston got him it was a good move. The stuff is there, he just was a headcase who walked too many. He'll probably collapse again, but in the end Boston gave up nothing for a guy with potential.

salty99
06-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I saw him in spring training and he looked really good. I think a big problem was that he had no movement on his fastball.

FedEx227
06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I saw him in spring training and he looked really good. I think a big problem was that he had no movement on his fastball.

Yeah, it's straight as an arrow. That coupled with the walks will eventually bite him in the ass, I believe.

downstairs
06-24-2008, 09:53 AM
It just goes to show maddeningly inconsistent most relievers are.

This is the answer. A lot of relievers have world-beating seasons, putting up Cy Young type numbers (cough, Shingo, cough). Very, very few do it for more than one year- its either a fluke or the condition of small sample size.

Yet every time it happens, people go crazy like they found a diamond in the rough, and that their pitching coach worked some magic that another could not.

JorgeFabregas
06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
This is the answer. A lot of relievers have world-beating seasons, putting up Cy Young type numbers (cough, Shingo, cough). Very, very few do it for more than one year- its either a fluke or the condition of small sample size.

Yet every time it happens, people go crazy like they found a diamond in the rough, and that their pitching coach worked some magic that another could not.
Politte and Cotts, for instance, had what must've been two of the best seasons for relievers in White Sox history in 2005. Didn't do much before or since--Cotts especially. Politte had a decent career before that and got injured, so maybe that's not fair to him.

Tragg
06-24-2008, 12:37 PM
He went bad, was sent down and that was that.
Still, the attention the Sox gave to clowns like Myers and Bukvich over other pitchers is strange....not dissimilar to the attention given to Cintron and Erstad in September over players with talent.

SoxfaninLA
06-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, it's straight as an arrow. That coupled with the walks will eventually bite him in the ass, I believe.

Yeah, I would be shocked if he actually kept those numbers up if he doesn't get those walks down. He looked good for periods with the Cubs and with us but people seem to eventually realize they just need to sit dead red and into the seats it goes. Maybe he is one of those guys that finally figured things out, but I doubt it. Just goes to show the volitale nature of relievers.....

chaerulez
06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
His walk rate is still the same, which is not good. The difference is the amount of hits he has given up. And the fact he gave up 4 HRs last year to 1 this year. The hit difference is either due to a better defense behind him or just luck.

Because his walk and strikeout rates are still similar I'm not ready to say he's turned a corner just yet, lets see if he can keep this up.

FarWestChicago
06-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Where did Coop go wrong with this guy???What kind of dementia is it that makes so many Sox fans always have to find somebody to blame for anything that happens? It's such strange, malajusted behavior.

JB98
06-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Aardsma is still a one-pitch pitcher. His breaking ball is garbage. Any success he's having is fools' gold, IMO.

DSpivack
06-24-2008, 08:29 PM
What kind of dementia is it that makes so many Sox fans always have to find somebody to blame for anything that happens? It's such strange, malajusted behavior.

Sounds like pretty normal human behavior to me.

But since when are Sox fans human?

FarWestChicago
06-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Sounds like pretty normal human behavior to me.No, it's not normal human behavior.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-25-2008, 02:50 AM
45 base runners in 32.2 ip? no thanks.

SpartanSoxFan
06-25-2008, 08:09 AM
What kind of dementia is it that makes so many Sox fans always have to find somebody to blame for anything that happens? It's such strange, malajusted behavior.

If you are suggesting that Aardsma just randomly dropped his ERA four points this year without any coaching influence, that is fine. I don't think I'm suffering from any form of dementia, however.

balke
06-25-2008, 09:03 AM
If you are suggesting that Aardsma just randomly dropped his ERA four points this year without any coaching influence, that is fine. I don't think I'm suffering from any form of dementia, however.

Pitching coach had nothing to do with Aardsma last year. He's just a headcase. He'll have up and downs with that arm though until he gets confidence. Wasn't Neal Cotts good with the Cubs last year for a while too? Relievers having random success isn't usually a permanent thing.

Huisj
06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Relievers having random success isn't usually a permanent thing.

To extend that thought, think of it like this. There are lots of bad starting pitchers who at some point get hot/lucky and have a stretch of 2 or 3 really good starts. Over that span, they might throw 20 or 25 innings. For a reliever who throws 1 inning at a time, that same number of innings could cover 2 months worth of pitching where they are hot and/or lucky, but that doesn't make them a star.