PDA

View Full Version : Crede needs to step up.

It's Time
06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Everyone knows I'm a Crede fan and have defended him quite a bit. However, after watching him over the last 2 months I have been rather unimpressed. After watching Ramirez dismantle the White Sox and then watching Crede pop up, hit into a DP, K, etc, I'm not going to be too upset if he leaves with the type of money he will be asking.

Maybe comparing him to Ramirez isn't fair, but it sure swayed me this weekend.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't think it's a question of "if" he leaves. Last I looked he hasn't changed agents.

Lip

Law11
06-23-2008, 10:17 AM
What was funny was Morgan talking about how great crede's glove is then they throw on the stat that he has the lowest fielding % in the AL at 3b.

Joe is like so many on this team. Streaky and inconsistent.

palehozenychicty
06-23-2008, 10:20 AM
What was funny was Morgan talking about how great crede's glove is then they throw on the stat that he has the lowest fielding % in the AL at 3b.

He's always been like that offensively, but this year his D hasn't been at his customary level.

Paulwny
06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Crede is trying to put up power numbers, contract year. I expect him to continue swining for the fences for the rest of the year.

kevingrt
06-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Crede is trying to put up power numbers, contract year. I expect him to continue swining for the fences for the rest of the year.

I completely agree with you. So many times this year it appears he goes to the plate with the wrong attitude. Every time he is up there it's a home run cut. Base hits do help. I feel some players including Crede on this team just do not like base hits.

KenBerryGrab
06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Who produced the only run last night?

If Joe Crede is the Sox' biggest problem, they'll be fine.

FedEx227
06-23-2008, 10:47 AM

Don't let fielding percentage or errors fool you, he's still a top tier defensive 3B in the league. Currently he's 6th in Zone Rating and 4th in Range Factor among all MLB 3B.

I really wish someone in the higher ups of MLB, ESPN, Fox, etc. would really stop using fielding percentage as a way to determine defense.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
While not staying as hot as the beginning of the year, Crede has managed to keep his BA in the 270-280 range, with 15 HR and 45 RBI. As far as the errors, I still feel it's due to the year off. And he still makes those jaw-dropping instinct plays that have saved games.

I wish he was our biggest problem. We'd be in great shape

Huisj
06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I completely agree with you. So many times this year it appears he goes to the plate with the wrong attitude. Every time he is up there it's a home run cut. Base hits do help. I feel some players including Crede on this team just do not like base hits.

When Quentin was carrying the team a month ago when he was the only one hitting at all, he was hitting a lot of homers, but the real impressive thing about him was how many basehits up the middle he had with men on base. It seemed like his approach was perfect--if there was a man on, just look to hit a liner back up the middle. But not a lot of people on the team seem to have that approach down (and heck, the Sox as a whole haven't had that approach much in years; maybe Carl Everett was the best at doing that).

It's Time
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
As I said, maybe I'm letting the series Ramirez had play into my thoughts right now. Having said that, I think Joe had one hit the entire series.

Paulwny
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM

But, in the 3 game series he
DP-2
K's-3
LOB-8

TomBradley72
06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Everyone knows I'm a Crede fan and have defended him quite a bit. However, after watching him over the last 2 months I have been rather unimpressed. After watching Ramirez dismantle the White Sox and then watching Crede pop up, hit into a DP, K, etc, I'm not going to be too upset if he leaves with the type of money he will be asking.

Maybe comparing him to Ramirez isn't fair, but it sure swayed me this weekend.

So after about 6-7 years with the team...this weekend is your deciding factor on Crede?

I'm still in the re-sign Crede if it's possible camp. Between Fields' defense and his struggles at AAA this year, I'm not sure we're exactly a lock for a good replacement. Joe's the 2nd best 3rd baseman the White Sox have ever had.

hi im skot
06-23-2008, 10:59 AM
No one was very good this weekend. Maybe we should have 25 different threads entitled "__________ needs to step up."

The pitching Saturday and Sunday was ****ing lousy. There's your story.

aryzner
06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
No one was very good this weekend. Maybe we should have 25 different threads entitled "__________ needs to step up."

I agree with this.

1 run on 10 hits yesterday says to me that everyone needs to step up when it's needed, and not so randomly during the course of the game.

I'm hoping that we take AT LEAST 2 of 3 from LA this week and then hopefully the league-wide trend (save a few teams) of losing records on the road continues, and the Sox return the favor at the Cell.

hi im skot
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
1 run on 10 hits yesterday says to me that everyone needs to step up when it's needed, and not so randomly during the course of the game.

No question. Dempster pitched a great game. But Vazquez looked like crap for most of the game and really set the tone for our offense (or lack thereof).

There's plenty of blame to go around, but the pitching was the biggest offender this weekend.

Harry Chappas
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
So after about 6-7 years with the team...this weekend is your deciding factor on Crede?

I'm still in the re-sign Crede if it's possible camp. Between Fields' defense and his struggles at AAA this year, I'm not sure we're exactly a lock for a good replacement. Joe's the 2nd best 3rd baseman the White Sox have ever had.

Fields also has been battling injuries. I have very little confidence that Fields is going to be a star for us anytime soon.

kevingrt
06-23-2008, 11:38 AM

We should because everyone sucked at points. I mean JD's DP in the 4th on Saturday for all intensive purposes killed any rally we had for Saturdays game.

JB98
06-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Offensively, Joe is performing just as well as he has in the past. We're looking at 30 and 100 if he stays healthy, although he puts his numbers up in streaks.

Defensively, he's kicked too many routine plays, but he's also saved the Sox pitching staff some headaches with a lot of great plays.

Overall, I'd stop short of saying Crede needs to step it up. I think he's playing the way he has always played. He didn't have a good weekend against the Cubs, and that is being blown out of proportion.

Daver
06-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, and Nick Swisher can't bat their weight, and you want to place the blame on Joe Crede?

<shakesheadandwalksaway>

Paulwny
06-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, and Nick Swisher can't bat their weight, and you want to place the blame on Joe Crede?

<shakesheadandwalksaway>

I took the "Crede must step it up " to mean, with Konerko on the DL and Thome on the bench for NL games Crede has to come through in clutch situations.
I looked to Crede and Dye to carry this team for a few weeks.
I have no faith in Swisher.

balke
06-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Where in God's name did this thread come from?

June: .286/.366/.636 6HR 16 RBI 1.001 OPS

Yeah... step up Joe, where are you?

balke
06-23-2008, 08:01 PM

<shakesheadandwalksaway>

Amen.

whitesox901
06-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Time for Fields

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Joe struggled this series, but he's been pretty good overall. His D has been a bit shakey at times, but I think that is partially because he hasn't played consistently for over a year. Joe is the least of this teams problems offensively.

Domeshot17
06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Please, the errors he is making this year have nothing to do with his back, but just concentration. He boots easy 2 hoppers and throws balls aways. Maybe if he wasn't also making diving catches I would buy the Crede apologists back excuse, but he is making the hard plays, which leads me to believe he just needs to focus more on the easy ones.

The one thing that really upsets me is this team crumbled under our first playoff like series this year. How can you not get up for a series like this? Yes, 2 of our 3-4-5 were out of the lineup, but this was just Aweful. Crede, after having all these write ups how he is more clutch then Error-miss, how he is the same offensive force but with better D, pops out in his clutch spots, watches Ramirez carry his team offensively, and kicks easy balls around the infield.

He wasn't the only one, but it seemed like this entire series we had 2 guys who wanted to be there, John Danks and Jermaine Dye. Everyone else had a very pathetic, going through the motions, can't handle the pressure situations type of weekend. I know this team is streaky, but this attitude has to change before October, because you can't go into the playoffs with your tail between your legs.

That said, it is still the White Sox, so maybe we would be better off dropping a couple in this upcoming series so we save our hot streak for the Cubs this weekend

Tragg
06-24-2008, 12:31 PM
As far as signing Crede, who else do we have? Fields can't play the position defensively (move him to 1st perhaps?).
That's just opening the door for Uribe or the like - Uribe at 2nd was absurd, but him at 3rd would be laughable. But it could happen on this team.
Sign Rowland? That's like Richie Sexon - not much of an ethic, hurt all the time, ....pass.
I don't see a choice.

Huisj
06-24-2008, 12:32 PM
That said, it is still the White Sox, so maybe we would be better off dropping a couple in this upcoming series so we save our hot streak for the Cubs this weekend

That's like the theory a friend of mine had in middle school basketball--he said he purposely missed shots in warmups before games because that way he'd waste his misses--if he made shots before the game, he was wasting his makes and wouldn't have them left for the game. :rolleyes:

hi im skot
06-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Please, the errors he is making this year have nothing to do with his back, but just concentration. He boots easy 2 hoppers and throws balls aways. Maybe if he wasn't also making diving catches I would buy the Crede apologists back excuse, but he is making the hard plays, which leads me to believe he just needs to focus more on the easy ones.

The one thing that really upsets me is this team crumbled under our first playoff like series this year. How can you not get up for a series like this? Yes, 2 of our 3-4-5 were out of the lineup, but this was just Aweful. Crede, after having all these write ups how he is more clutch then Error-miss, how he is the same offensive force but with better D, pops out in his clutch spots, watches Ramirez carry his team offensively, and kicks easy balls around the infield.

He wasn't the only one, but it seemed like this entire series we had 2 guys who wanted to be there, John Danks and Jermaine Dye. Everyone else had a very pathetic, going through the motions, can't handle the pressure situations type of weekend. I know this team is streaky, but this attitude has to change before October, because you can't go into the playoffs with your tail between your legs.

9AlH2oYedfk

Domeshot17
06-24-2008, 01:08 PM
That's like the theory a friend of mine had in middle school basketball--he said he purposely missed shots in warmups before games because that way he'd waste his misses--if he made shots before the game, he was wasting his makes and wouldn't have them left for the game. :rolleyes:

haha that is pretty funny about your friend

I wasn't being serious, just commenting how when we lose or win, its in bunches either way, we are very streaky.

areilly
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM

That's a pretty sizable and questionable "if."

rustysurf83
06-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Joe should be able to have himself a night tonight. He's batting .385 lifetime against Lowe with a bomb and 4 rbi's in 13 at bats. Looks like most of the Dodger's have never seen Mark.

chisoxmike
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Crede was scratched tonight because of a stiff back. Stay tuned...

High Mileage
06-25-2008, 01:11 AM
His defense has been horrible at times, leads all 3rd basemen in errors...

Lip Man 1
06-25-2008, 01:19 AM
And his spectacular plays have saved probably as many runs has he's allowed to go along with 15 home runs and 45 or so RBI's thank you very much.

That being said Mark Gonzales reports he is having lunch Wednesday with his agent.

Also what is Josh Fields status right now? Is he still on the DL??

Lip

High Mileage
06-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Crede is from Mizzou, if the Sox let him I go I wouldn't mind seeing the Royals make a run at him, but only if he can play 1st...

His plays haven't been anymore spectacular at 3rd than anybody elses...

Rocky Soprano
06-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Crede is from Mizzou, if the Sox let him I go I wouldn't mind seeing the Royals make a run at him, but only if he can play 1st...

His plays haven't been anymore spectacular at 3rd than anybody elses...

:scratch:

Crede at first?
How can you say Crede hasn't been anymore spectacular at 3rd when you only get to see him a handful of games?

06-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Also what is Josh Fields status right now? Is he still on the DL??

Lip

Yes, still on the DL. He had some knee tendonitis.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Any word on Crede's back? I read that he was scratched yesterday with lower back stiffness. Was that the problem he had last year? I can't find anything new on it.

High Mileage
06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
:scratch:

Crede at first?
How can you say Crede hasn't been anymore spectacular at 3rd when you only get to see him a handful of games?
I see him play all the time, ESPN, WGN, FSN...

comet2k
06-25-2008, 03:40 PM

How can you say they were just going through the motions? Just because they didn't win? Lack of success doesn't mean they weren't trying. Jeez. Even the best hitters make outs two-thirds of the time. Does that mean they dogging it?

DumpJerry
06-25-2008, 03:54 PM
This year, against lefties, Crede is batting .107 with an OBP of .206; against righties, he's .326/.391.

btrain929
06-25-2008, 03:59 PM
This year, against lefties, Crede is batting .107 with an OBP of .206; against righties, he's .326/.391.

I see what you're getting at: a righty/righty platoon at 3B. Genius!!!

But on a serious note, those stats are ****ing sad.

DumpJerry
06-25-2008, 04:41 PM
I see what you're getting at: a righty/righty platoon at 3B. Genius!!!

But on a serious note, those stats are ****ing sad.
Those stats make Borass lose sleep at night.

areilly
06-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Those stats make Borass lose sleep at night.

Or get him feeling out interest among teams in the surprisingly lefty-sparse AL West.

INSox56
06-25-2008, 06:37 PM

Fielding PCT is based on errors, unless I'm wrong...and I happen to remember almost all of his errors coming from throws. So as much as I don't want to do it, I'll defend Morgan...his glove is fine, his throws have been pathetic. There was one game I think this year where he had two throwing errors in an inning...(?)

Crede24Thome25
06-25-2008, 10:20 PM
The catchers need to step up immediately or we need to acquire a catcher that is known for throwing out base runners because the catchers we have are clearly not capable of it.

JB98
06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
The catchers need to step up immediately or we need to acquire a catcher that is known for throwing out base runners because the catchers we have are clearly not capable of it.

Johnny Bench couldn't throw out anybody given the way Gavin Floyd and Jose Contreras hold runners.

Crede24Thome25
06-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Whats they're excuse for Vazquez, Danks, and Buehrle

JB98
06-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Whats they're excuse for Vazquez, Danks, and Buehrle

Vazquez and Danks can't hold runners either. Danks, in particular, is terrible.

Nobody steals when Buehrle is on the mound.

Crede24Thome25
06-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Vazquez and Danks can't hold runners either. Danks, in particular, is terrible.

Nobody steals when Buehrle is on the mound.

Yeah your right but come on admit it, we don't have the catchers we need like a Pudge hell not even a Miguel Olivo or Greg Zaun. The Sox aren't even 30% in throwing out runners.

Daver
06-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah your right but come on admit it, we don't have the catchers we need like a Pudge hell not even a Miguel Olivo or Greg Zaun. The Sox aren't even 30% in throwing out runners.

They traded defense for good offensive production out of a defensive position.

JB98
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM

And a big reason for that is long, slow deliveries from Sox pitchers. Both AJ and Hall are below par as throwers, but AJ can play for me any day the way he hits and the way he competes.