PDA

View Full Version : Complete Game

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2008, 05:16 AM
Is a complete game awarded to a losing pitcher of the road team when he pitched 8 innings but did not pitch the 9th because the home team was ahead. How about if he let up the winning run with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. I dont know what made me think of this but my mind was wandering during last nights debacle, of a disaster of a weekend and of so far, one strange season.

sox1970
06-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Yes to both.

pierzynski07
06-23-2008, 09:16 AM
That happened on a Sunday Night a few weeks ago. The TCQ game as I like to call it. The Angels' starter pitched into the ninth, and gave up a walkoff to Quentin.

TDog
06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
A complete game also is awarded to a pitcher who pitches all five innings his team is on defense in a rain-shortened game, win or lose. For that matter, if the opposing pitcher pitches four innings on the road and is the only pitcher to pitch in the official game for his team, he gets a complete game. If for your team you are the only pitcher to throw a pitch, you get a complete game.

For example, Gavin Floyd's first major league complete game was a rain-shortened shutout, in which Aaron Rowand broke his nose making a much talked-about catch. Floyd only pitched five innings. He got credit for a complete-game shutout, although not a quality start. In Floyd's second career complete game, with the White Sox earlier this year, he pitched eight innings in a road loss. I believe he has just the two. So if he is pitching in the ninth inning, he really is trying to do something he has never done before.

eriqjaffe
06-23-2008, 02:11 PM
For example, Gavin Floyd's first major league complete game was a rain-shortened shutoutYet another example of a previously-unseen minor-league pitcher shutting down the White Sox.

:wink:

DumpJerry
06-23-2008, 04:42 PM
I believe he has just the two.
According to this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/floydga01.shtml), you are correct.

That will change Wednesday.

TDog
06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Yet another example of a previously-unseen minor-league pitcher shutting down the White Sox.

:wink:

The game had nothing to do with the Whtie Sox.

Aaron Rowand was playing with the Phillies when he made his nose-breaking catch with two outs and the bases loaded in the first to preserve Gavin Floyd's only to-date major league shutout -- against the Mets in 2006.