PDA

View Full Version : Lets go go sox question

RockRiversoxfan
06-23-2008, 01:48 AM
from what i have heard. lets go go white sox was rarely herad before 2005. Does anybody remember hearing the song before that wonderful season?

Noneck
06-23-2008, 01:52 AM
from what i have heard. lets go go white sox was rarely herad before 2005. Does anybody remember hearing the song before that wonderful season?

I heard it in early-mid sixties but I never could find it out there till 05.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2008, 01:55 AM
It started in 1959.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2008, 05:54 AM
I remember it from the 1959 season.

jabrch
06-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Where is Captain Stubby these days? And what would a bunch of 75 year old Buccaneers be doing today?

Answering my own question...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Stubby_and_the_Buccaneers

The Captain died in 2004 at age 86. His first mate died in 1999 at age 79.

In addition to Go Go White Sox, the Captain was involved with the legendary Roto Rooter spots and was the voice of Little Sprout in the Jolly Green Giant commercials.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Capt_Stubby_In_Studio.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Capt_Stubby_In_Studio.jpg)

At age 85 - still recording...

I want Mags back
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
the song made its comeback just under midway through the '05 season during the Turn Back the Clock to '59 game versus the Dodgers. I remember reading about how someone who works in the in-game effects or whatever you call those people found an old record of it and decided to play it. AJ hit a walk-off, and the rest is history.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/06/18/XUOtnSWe.jpg

hanger
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I first heard it on the George Wendt narrated video "Eighty Years of Celebration 1910-1990 Old Comiskey Park - The Video"

Does anybody know if that was released on DVD? My VHS copy is from 1991. It was a decent video if I remember correctly. I remember that Wendt looks across the street, and with kind of a look of disgust, he remarks that the new stadium looks pink.

jackbrohamer
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I first heard it during an opening skit on the old Svengoolie show on Channel 32 in about 1971 or 1972. I never heard it again until about 1999 when I searched for the song on the internet and one of the links was for this site, which is how I discovered this site.

TDog
06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I first heard it during an opening skit on the old Svengoolie show on Channel 32 in about 1971 or 1972. I never heard it again until about 1999 when I searched for the song on the internet and one of the links was for this site, which is how I discovered this site.

You are probably thinking of the April 21, 1972, show when Pat Kelly and Jay Johnstone were the guest coffin openers.

DickAllen72
06-23-2008, 05:35 PM
I seem to remember them playing it on the radio during 1971 spring training games.

They also had another original White Sox song that year that went something like this:

"Chicago's White Sox are here,
And heading for a brand new year,
And Chuck Tanner's just the guy to lead them on.
And so the Red White And Blue,
Are gonna come through for you,
And when September is here they'll still be strong."

TDog
06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
I seem to remember them playing it on the radio during 1971 spring training games.

They also had another original White Sox song that year that went something like this:

"Chicago's White Sox are here,
And heading for a brand new year,
And Chuck Tanner's just the guy to lead them on.
And so the Red White And Blue,
Are gonna come through for you,
And when September is here they'll still be strong."

It might have been "lead the way" instead of "lead them on," but it was followed by, "Hello, this is Harry Caray" and his bit. I don't remember Go Go-Go White Sox being played on those FM stations at all, although I heard the song a few times during those years. Sox Talk, with a host whose name I have forgotten, followed the games on radio and played David Frishberg's Van Lingle Mungo -- the early version and my favorite.

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Does anyone remember the Sox fight song from the early 60s? Went something like this;

The White Sox are playing a game today
So lets get out in the air
You'll forget your troubles
seeing singles and doubles
as the Sox hit the ball everywhere
And its a beautful way
to spend the day
as the umpire yells play ball
The action is great, the crowd is tense
there goes a long one over the fence
So Go go go go go, go you White Sox
lets have another win today
their all game in that ball game
So come on watch the White Sox play
That song is 46 years old and for some reason I never forgot it.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 06:52 PM
WSI has some very great links to a bunch of different Sox fight songs right here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm).

jackbrohamer
06-23-2008, 06:59 PM
You are probably thinking of the April 21, 1972, show when Pat Kelly and Jay Johnstone were the guest coffin openers.

Very impressive! You were correct, IIRC the camera showed them signing a coffin to reveal who they were. Was it live (& thus after a Sox home game)?

Lip Man 1
06-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Nell:

The "White Sox" song you quoted was part of an advertising package made for the White Sox in the mid 1960's by an ad agency.

It was tied in to on air radio and TV spots and organist Shay Torrent would play it at the stadium.

It was actually quite good. I have a copy of Torrent performing it in my library.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Jack:

Svengoolie always taped his material on Thursday or Friday mornings. My guess is Pat & Jay came in to record their bit on an off day.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry computer glitch.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Nell:

The "White Sox" song you quoted was part of an advertising package made for the White Sox in the mid 1960's by an ad agency.

It was tied in to on air radio and TV spots and organist Shay Torrent would play it at the stadium.

It was actually quite good. I have a copy of Torrent performing it in my library.

Lip
Thanks Lip,I thought I was the only one who ever heard it. I remember Shay playing it quite a bit in those days.

TornLabrum
06-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Nell:

Lip

Nancy still occasionally plays this song.

TDog
06-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Very impressive! You were correct, IIRC the camera showed them signing a coffin to reveal who they were. Was it live (& thus after a Sox home game)?

As Lip noted, the bits were taped before airing at 10:30 Friday night. Actually, the Sox were rained out the night it aired, but doing it live would have taken awhile, considering they came in during a few of the commercial breaks. The appearance was probably was done fairly quickly.

My favorite bit was when Svengoolie complimented the players on their great 14-0 win over the Texas Rangers in the home opener. What did you get, Pat? he asked.

Kelly said he got two triples and a double. (You knew it was going to be a great season when the leadoff man in the home opener tripled in his first at bat.)

In reaponse to, "How about you, Jay?" Johnstone answered, "I got splingers from sitting on the bench. Recorded laughter ensued.

i really loved the days when Channel 32 was all about the Sox.

These days, however, the former Svengoolie has a restaurant in San Diego with Cubs crap on the walls.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
TDog:

Two questions:

1. Just out of curiosity how do you remember such detail about this particular episode?

2. You don't have any contact info for Jerry G., buy chance do you?

Lip

TDog
06-24-2008, 04:51 PM
TDog:

Two questions:

1. Just out of curiosity how do you remember such detail about this particular episode?

2. You don't have any contact info for Jerry G., buy chance do you?

Lip

In the days before VCRs, I used to record the audio of the SYT bits and listen to them ad nauseum. I listened to them when I went away from the summer, which I was forced to do sometimes when I was a kid. One summer I came back and the first thing I saw on Channel 32 was a promo for The Ghoul on Friday nights at 10:30. Really, when Kaiser bought the WFLD, it ceased to be about the Sox or anything of interest to me.

I have never met Jerry G., although a friend of the family worked with him in radio pre-WCFL. I was in a restaurant in San Diego some time ago that I later learned was his. I was assuming it is still open, which may have been a bad assumption. I believe Jerry G. has a Web site and may have a contact link. I last heard him interviewed on Chicago radio about five years ago, promoting his sale of recorded interviews he made when he was hanging out with the Beatles.