PDA

View Full Version : "What If?" Thread for People Who Like Speculation Only Please

nodiggity59
06-23-2008, 01:43 AM
I like thinking about the Sox's future. Winning in 05 hasn't quenched my thirst for another World Series title, but it has given a more optimistic view of the Sox's future in general.

What if the Sox were sellers this year? Let's see what that might be able to pull off.

Contreras to Phillies for Victorino.
Thome and Cabrera to Red Sox for prospects, maybe even Pedrioa (sp)?
Dye to Mets for a prospect.
Crede to the Angels for a prospect, or maybe someone like Saunders?
Dotel to the Brewers for a prospect.

I would keep Konerko just cause his value is at an all time low. Can you imagine if the Sox actually used their current vets to add to their current young core of TCQ, Alexei, Swisher, BA, Danks, Floyd, and Bobby? They could really be in a good position. And on top of that they would have the money to make a big signing as well.

I'm loving the Sox's run so far this year, but have an active imagination and can't help but wondering. :tongue:

Noneck
06-23-2008, 02:14 AM
I would keep Konerko just cause his value is at an all time low.

Thomes value is not only at an all time low but he is at negative worth.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2008, 02:16 AM
So you look at this team and say "it's time to absolutely scrap it, suck for at least the next three years, and HOPE that the prospects work out? You're describing a total rebuild.

Noneck
06-23-2008, 02:18 AM
So you look at this team and say "it's time to absolutely scrap it, suck for at least the next three years, and HOPE that the prospects work out? You're describing a total rebuild.

Yup, Looks like the white flag at +1 1/2.

nodiggity59
06-23-2008, 02:20 AM

There's nothing stopping them from spending money in free agency to bring in veteran talent to supplement their young talent. I believe this policy would make the Sox better 09 team, and I'd have a good feeling about them. Obviously, I'm not saying that is what they should do given their good play this year.

Also, just cause you have veterans who make larger salaries doesn't mean squat unless they earn those salaries on the field.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2008, 02:23 AM
There's nothing stopping them from spending money in free agency to bring in veteran talent to supplement their young talent. I believe this policy would make the Sox better 09 team, and I'd have a good feeling about them. Obviously, I'm not saying that is what they should do given their good play this year.

Also, just cause you have veterans who make larger salaries doesn't mean squat unless they earn those salaries on the field.But you are surrendering for '08, no matter how you look at it. No thanks.

nodiggity59
06-23-2008, 02:25 AM
I mean, think about this roster.

C-AJ
1B-Swish
2B-Pedroia (theoretically)
SS-Ramirez
3B-Fields/FA
LF-Quentin
CF-Victorino/BA
RF-Victorino/FA
DH-Paulie

Rotation: MB, Javy, Danks, Floyd....
Pen: Jenks, Linebrink, Thorton, Logan.....

I mean, with an influx of prospects to make deals with and more cash being freed up, who's to say we couldn't go out and get 2 big pieces to add to this group in the rotation and in RF?

Just sayin........:wink:

nodiggity59
06-23-2008, 02:26 AM
But you are surrendering for '08, no matter how you look at it. No thanks.

I am speculating. Why did you come to this thread if you didn't want to speculate about the possibility? I even gave a warning in the thread title.

:scratch:

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2008, 02:28 AM
I am speculating. Why did you come to this thread if you didn't want to speculate about the possibility? I even gave a warning in the thread title.

:scratch:So you only want people who agree with you to post in this thread? You're "speculating" about running up the flag of surrender. Besides, I'm a moderator. I read the threads because it's my job.:teach:

Noneck
06-23-2008, 02:32 AM
I mean, think about this roster.

C-AJ
1B-Swish
2B-Pedroia (theoretically)
SS-Ramirez
3B-Fields/FA
LF-Quentin
CF-Victorino/BA
RF-Victorino/FA
DH-Paulie

Rotation: MB, Javy, Danks, Floyd....
Pen: Jenks, Linebrink, Thorton, Logan.....

I mean, with an influx of prospects to make deals with and more cash being freed up, who's to say we couldn't go out and get 2 big pieces to add to this group in the rotation and in RF?

Just sayin........:wink:

I am missing something. Cabera, Crede and Thome are worth nothing at the end of this year. In order for this to happen (and I truly doubt these players could be gotten) you are giving up already with the Sox up by 1 1/2. No thank you.

DSpivack
06-23-2008, 02:34 AM
I am missing something. Cabera, Crede and Thome are worth nothing at the end of this year. In order for this to happen (and I truly doubt these players could be gotten) you are giving up already with the Sox up by 1 1/2. No thank you.

What makes you think Crede worth nothing? He looks like the best-hitting 3B in the AL thus far. I expect him to be priced out of the Sox range.

Noneck
06-23-2008, 02:35 AM
What makes you think Crede worth nothing? He looks like the best-hitting 3B in the AL thus far. I expect him to be priced out of the Sox range.
Please read all the thread. I said at the end of the year, he will be a FA.

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2008, 07:40 AM
With Cabrera heating up, I'd ask if the Angels would like him back to solidify their SS situation. I'll take Figgins (another pending FA) in return to play 2B and lead off, and Alexei at SS. So here's my lineup for the rest of 2008:

Figgins
Ramirez
AJ
Dye
Quentin
Thome
Paulie
Swisher
Crede

Zisk77
06-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Why not win this year and maybe add to the team at trade deadline...Raul Ibanez for example. Then in the off season:

Trade Contreras coming of a year where he increased value for prospects or a position of need + cut salary.

Release Thome.

If Crede doesn't give you a home town discount (not as long as Bora$$ is agent) then recoup draft picks.

Offer O.C. arb. and recoup draft picks.

Insert Josh Fields at 3b, 1b,or DH

Broadway should be ready for rotaion to replace Jose.

Sign Figgins as FA to bat leadoff and play wherever.

Lineup

Figgins 3B
Richar 2B
Quentin Lf
Dye Rf
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
Fields DH
Swisher CF
Ramirez SS

Pitchers same as 08 except Broadway or someone else instead of Jose.

You can play small ball, run, and hit the ball out of the park with that line-up.

Swisher or A. J could also bat in the 2-hole if Richar is not ready for that.

So you don't give up this year and can be excited about the future as well.

aryzner
06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
I've never understood the appeal of one of Fields' options being DH. It seems like a waste of youth to me. I'd want him on the field somewhere while we have an older, experienced, and more disciplined hitter at DH.

russ99
06-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Why not win this year and maybe add to the team at trade deadline...Raul Ibanez for example. Then in the off season:

Trade Contreras coming of a year where he increased value for prospects or a position of need + cut salary.

Release Thome.

If Crede doesn't give you a home town discount (not as long as Bora$$ is agent) then recoup draft picks.

Offer O.C. arb. and recoup draft picks.

Insert Josh Fields at 3b, 1b,or DH

Broadway should be ready for rotaion to replace Jose.

Sign Figgins as FA to bat leadoff and play wherever.

Lineup

Figgins 3B
Richar 2B
Quentin Lf
Dye Rf
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
Fields DH
Swisher CF
Ramirez SS

Pitchers same as 08 except Broadway or someone else instead of Jose.

You can play small ball, run, and hit the ball out of the park with that line-up.

Swisher or A. J could also bat in the 2-hole if Richar is not ready for that.

So you don't give up this year and can be excited about the future as well.

My thoughts exactly. Let's run with the guys we have now, maybe augment with a player or two, and re-work after the season. Figgins would be a great addition in FA, if he can stay healthy.

Not sure we'd get Ibanez, but either a solid hitter like him, a leadoff guy and/or a backup starter would make a big difference down the stretch.

The only oil in the ointment is Thome's option clause. If he hits the AB target it will be pretty hard to keep him off the team next year.

I'd suspect there's at least a possibility Kenny would non-tender him in December, especially since (I think) the cash the Phils sent us in the deal runs out after this season. He's such a great guy, it would be a bit hard to take, but it's probably best for the team...

palehozenychicty
06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
My thoughts exactly. Let's run with the guys we have now, maybe augment with a player or two, and re-work after the season. Figgins would be a great addition in FA, if he can stay healthy.

Not sure we'd get Ibanez, but either a solid hitter like him, a leadoff guy and/or a backup starter would make a big difference down the stretch.

The only oil in the ointment is Thome's option clause. If he hits the AB target it will be pretty hard to keep him off the team next year.

I'd suspect there's at least a possibility Kenny would non-tender him in December, especially since (I think) the cash the Phils sent us in the deal runs out after this season. He's such a great guy, it would be a bit hard to take, but it's probably best for the team...

I think that is the best thing for the team. We need some more versatile, athletic players, and Thome is not that guy, although he's been a gentleman for years.

Zisk77
06-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I've never understood the appeal of one of Fields' options being DH. It seems like a waste of youth to me. I'd want him on the field somewhere while we have an older, experienced, and more disciplined hitter at DH.

Thats just one day's scenario. Fields could see time at 3B, 1b, or DH. It would give Paulie some time off his feet. Since Figgins can play virtually everyehere on the diamond it lends to lots of flexibility.

DumpJerry
06-23-2008, 08:20 PM
I would keep Konerko just cause his value is at an all time low.
Easy call to make. He's a 5/10 player.

whitesox901
06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
if im going young im gonna go

2009 opening day ages:
1B: Mark Teixeira - 29 - sign as FA?
2B: Richar (if he's back on track) - 25/26
SS: Alexai - 27
3B: Fields - 26
LF: Swisher - 28
CF: Anderson - 27
RF: TCQ - 26
C: AJ (Not young, but you need some vets) - 32
DH: Konerko (agian, not young) - 33

the1tab
06-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I like thinking about the Sox's future. Winning in 05 hasn't quenched my thirst for another World Series title, but it has given a more optimistic view of the Sox's future in general.

What if the Sox were sellers this year? Let's see what that might be able to pull off.

Contreras to Phillies for Victorino.
Thome and Cabrera to Red Sox for prospects, maybe even Pedrioa (sp)?
Dye to Mets for a prospect.
Crede to the Angels for a prospect, or maybe someone like Saunders?
Dotel to the Brewers for a prospect.

I would keep Konerko just cause his value is at an all time low. Can you imagine if the Sox actually used their current vets to add to their current young core of TCQ, Alexei, Swisher, BA, Danks, Floyd, and Bobby? They could really be in a good position. And on top of that they would have the money to make a big signing as well.

I'm loving the Sox's run so far this year, but have an active imagination and can't help but wondering. :tongue:

Saunders has become the ace of the Angels staff while Lackey was down earlier this year. He's tied for the AL lead in Wins. If you think Joe Crede's going to get you that in a walk year, pass the pipe.

Furthermore, if you think a shortstop they already got rid of is welcome back in Boston, even if it's with "the almighty" Jim Thome is going to get you one of the up & coming stud middle infielders in the AL, again, pass the pipe.

I can see Dotel to the Brewers, if we hadn't just signed him this past offseason. Thornton or Logan maybe, but I'm pretty sure Linebrink & Dotel are here till at least October.

Victorino for Jose? Again, pass the pipe.

If you wanna speculate, think about something realistic... like Crede to the Giants for Matt Cain, or Jose back to the Yankees for prospects...

Tragg
06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Assuming that we wanted too sell-off, what evidence is there that we could do it?
Williams tried last year (he tried to move MB, Dye, et al), and he got nowhere.

RCWHITESOX
06-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Am I missing something? The last time I looked we were in first place so hold your role. I would hope the Sox add a few pieces on or before the trade deadline and make there run at another World Series. Forget all this in the future crap as that's all the Sox ever did until Williams and Guillen got them in the World Series for the first time since 1959. Go White Sox.

the1tab
06-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Am I missing something? The last time I looked we were in first place so hold your role. I would hope the Sox add a few pieces on or before the trade deadline and make there run at another World Series. Forget all this in the future crap as that's all the Sox ever did until Williams and Guillen got them in the World Series for the first time since 1959. Go White Sox.

I agree, we should all be happy that we're in first place, and a sweep to the Cubs is not going to send our season off to sea. I am on board that our pitching, this past weekend excluded, is good enough to win games for us. But how many times has one of our starters thrown 7 innings of 5 hit, 2-run baseball and taken a loss this year?

But there are areas that we must improve to be a legit contender in October against the Angels, Red Sox, Rays, Twins, or whomever makes it to the postseason. I have no problem at all with strokin' the crystal ball of the fantasy world and seeing who's out there that we A) can't/won't afford in free agency or B) don't have the prospects to acquire via trade.

This is the same shortsightedness that killed the Cubs last year. Just because you're winning the worst division in baseball, which the AL Central has somehow become, does not mean you're able to compete with other top tier teams.