PDA

View Full Version : Still in First Place

MrRoboto83
06-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Well the Sox are still in first place today, but will they be by this weekend?

I'm usually not negative, but I just don't have a good feeling.

ChicagoG19
06-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Talk to me after the dodgers series cause i am curious to see how this team rebounds after this murphy's law weekend.

CubKilla
06-23-2008, 01:36 AM
If the Sox can't win 2 of 3 against an LA team that can't score runs, generally, ANYWHERE, then start worrying.

No Billingsley and Penny on the DL..... Sox should win 2 of 3 easily.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Cub:

Remember it's hard to hit home runs in Dodger Stadium and the Sox are facing at least one pitcher they've never seen before.

Just sayin'

Lip

GregO23
06-23-2008, 02:58 AM
We will be fine guys. No HUGE worries here

Frankfan4life
06-23-2008, 03:10 AM
All I can say is "expect the unexpected." I wish I could predict what the Sox were going to do. However, I never have any idea. This is the most baffling team I have ever seen.

munchman33
06-23-2008, 03:29 AM
We will be fine guys. No HUGE worries here

Expect to see this a lot.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1938239#post1938239

GregO23
06-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Expect to see this a lot.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1938239#post1938239
You do realize that we have had one of the toughest schedules in all of baseball, have only faced the Royals 3 times, and will play more home games from here on out then every team in the American League other than Baltimore. I know this has been such an up and down season, but we weren't supposed to be in first place, and we are.

delben91
06-23-2008, 07:15 AM
The Sox won't ever win another game.

Ever.

Get over yourselves.

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2008, 07:16 AM
This has been one strange season, not only are the Sox streaky but so are a lot of other teams. The Phillies are on a 5 game losing streak, the Tigers are hot again, the Cubs are fantastic at home but cant win on the road, same with the Sox, Twins on a 6 game winning streak. Hard to predict whats going to happen.

Railsplitter
06-23-2008, 07:45 AM
This has been one strange season, not only are the Sox streaky but so are a lot of other teams. The Phillies are on a 5 game losing streak, the Tigers are hot again, the Cubs are fantastic at home but cant win on the road, same with the Sox, Twins on a 6 game winning streak. Hard to predict whats going to happen.
What irks me is the Sox had that great West Coast swing back in May, but have been miserable on the road ever soncie.

Jollyroger2
06-23-2008, 08:05 AM

As ugly as things are, (4-8 since the sweep of the Twins including the embarrassingly bad display this weekend) things could be much, much worse. I'm in the DC area and the Nationals fell to 17 games under .500 this weekend. They have zero pitching and zero hitting and are the most inept fielding team I've ever seen. With no prospects of getting better anytime soon, despite the constant babble from ownership.

So hey, things look ugly right now, but it could be a lot worse.

jenn2080
06-23-2008, 08:43 AM

Maybe still by this weekend, but not long after. They will be in 3rd place pretty soon. We are not that good, the other teams are just sucking that much more.

jenn2080
06-23-2008, 08:44 AM
You do realize that we have had one of the toughest schedules in all of baseball, have only faced the Royals 3 times, and will play more home games from here on out then every team in the American League other than Baltimore. I know this has been such an up and down season, but we weren't supposed to be in first place, and we are.

And Detroit and the rest of the AL Central weren' suppose to blow.

Viva Medias B's
06-23-2008, 08:51 AM

I would not take the Royals lightly. Just ask the Cardinals.

balke
06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
I've just decided the Sox aren't built for interleague at all. Here comes Minnesota, like so many years in the past. I'm starting to think the Sox will need to end up trading for that speedy player.

bigsoxfan420
06-23-2008, 09:30 AM
They better get their acts together. Even if they some how stay in first and make the playoffs, with this offense they don't even deserve the chance. How many guys left on base this weekend, it must be like 30, with more than half in scoring position. One more series like this and I am going to start following the Bears and Bull off season moves (of course this is not true since I am a glutton for punishment)

Procol Harum
06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Things are not looking good--Twins, Tigers, and Indians are all snapping out of their lethargies, and we hafta journey to LA and back and face a good Flubs team again in the Cell--a place where, even when we're good, we haven't exactly owned them. I'd say a split of the next 6 would be a positive outcome within our current context and the team's collective no clutch-hittin', double-play-hittin', bad baserunning, shaky bullpen ways.

downstairs
06-23-2008, 11:57 AM

How do you figure we've had a tough schedule thus far? Are you counting Cleveland and Detroit as tough merely because they were last year? They suck this year, thus making our schedule easier.

The home game thing is big, though... hopefully that gives us a slight edge.

oeo
06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
We're invincible when we sweep a bad team in the Pirates, but we're garbage when we get swept by a good team at their park, where they haven't lost in over a month.

Yeah, this weekend was bad, and yeah, it sucks because it was against the Cubs. Yet it was only 3 games in a 162 game season. That's right, those three games were not fifteen...stop acting like they were.

I know everyone's pissed about losing to the Cubs, but just tip your cap...they're a good team, and get ready for a more competitive series this weekend.

I don't know what to expect the rest of the year. I have believed all year that what we have is a mediocre team. That said, stop overestimating the Twins and Tigers because they have serious issues as well. We're just as good, if not better, than the rest of this division, so the season isn't over after a bad series.

October26
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
We're invincible when we sweep a bad team in the Pirates, but we're garbage when we get swept by a good team at their park, where they haven't lost in over a month.

Yeah, this weekend was bad, and yeah, it sucks because it was against the Cubs. Yet it was only 3 games in a 162 game season. That's right, those three games were not fifteen...stop acting like they were.

I know everyone's pissed about losing to the Cubs, but just tip your cap...they're a good team, and get ready for a more competitive series this weekend.

Nice post. You captured in words how I am feeling this morning. Nothing we can do about the past - gotta keep going forward. Go Sox!

bluestar
06-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Great advice. I just hope the players can do this. I know fans are going to piss and moan, but I am concerned about how the team reacts. In both 2006 and 2007 the series with the Cubs seemed to have a long-lasting, negative impact on the Sox.

oeo
06-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Great advice. I just hope the players can do this. I know fans are going to piss and moan, but I am concerned about how the team reacts. In both 2006 and 2007 the series with the Cubs seemed to have a long-lasting, negative impact on the Sox.

In 2006, we went 4-2 against the Cubs. Last year was just a terrible team...it had nothing to do with the Cubs.

I'd hope the players can shake something off like this past series. If you don't move forward, you're not going anywhere.

Buehrle will right the ship tomorrow night.

SoxGirl4Life
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Nice post. You captured in words how I am feeling this morning. Nothing we can do about the past - gotta keep going forward. Go Sox!

Like I told all my Cub fan co-workers who wanted to say something-"Stop living in the past. The weekend is over". My rebuttal to them trying to diminish 2005 :D:

kevingrt
06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Like I told all my Cub fan co-workers who wanted to say something-"Stop living in the past. The weekend is over". My rebuttal to them trying to diminish 2005 :D:

Quality. I'll need to use that.

Big Lar
06-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Here's some advice for Ozzie-

How about focusing on the game instead of the circus you create by ripping other team's ball parks, their fans, etc? I watched you SCREW UP just about every major decision this weekend. Who knows what would have happened had we won Game 1. But you take a pitcher out who is dealing for a pitcher whose value is questionable. Sound familiar? Last year/ Game 1 at Wrigley, 3-1 lead in the 7th. We blew that one, too.

Thome should never be pinch hitting with 0 outs and man on second. Let's find someone who can bunt on this team, let them move the man along, THEN let Thome his and hope for the RBI.

We got beat down this weekend and it does not feel good. With pitching matchups that should have favored us. Without Soriano or Zambrano. And we got schooled by their big studs who played like big studs and their prized rookies (Patterson) who played like prized rookies.

Javier, Joe, Jim, Octavio, Nick, Jose,....play like the veterans you are supposed to be. Or let's back up the truck and get some young players who will.

bluestar
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
In 2006, we went 4-2 against the Cubs. Last year was just a terrible team...it had nothing to do with the Cubs.

I'd hope the players can shake something off like this past series. If you don't move forward, you're not going anywhere.

Yes, we went 4-2 against the Cubs in 2006, but the final game of the series when the Cubs scored 7 runs on Buerhle in the first inning seemed (to me, anyway) to deal some kind of blow to the Sox from which they never quite recovered. They were 53-27 going into that game, and they went 37-45 from that point forward.

rookie
06-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Actually, I'm not worried about the players shaking it off. I think it's a lot easier for them to shake off what must be to them the circus of a Sox/Cubs series than getting swept by a divisional rival. With as streaky as this team is, they know it can all turn around just as quick.

(Didn't we win 90 games in 2006?)

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, we went 4-2 against the Cubs in 2006, but the final game of the series when the Cubs scored 7 runs on Buerhle in the first inning seemed (to me, anyway) to deal some kind of blow to the Sox from which they never quite recovered. They were 53-27 going into that game, and they went 37-45 from that point forward.
I remember that game and agree with you 100%. It seemed like MB was throwing batting practice that game. The ship started to sink that day.

ElmhurstMarcus
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
We'll sweep the Dodgers, everything will be fine and dandy, then the Cubs will sweep us again, it will be all doom and gloom, and the ridiculous streakiness will continue all season as we pound the teams we're supposed to beat and lose to the real contenders. UGH.

oeo
06-23-2008, 01:59 PM
We'll sweep the Dodgers, everything will be fine and dandy, then the Cubs will sweep us again, it will be all doom and gloom, and the ridiculous streakiness will continue all season as we pound the teams we're supposed to beat and lose to the real contenders. UGH.

I highly doubt they sweep us at home. They're unbeatable at home, but very beatable on the road. Plus, we play better at home.

I also don't think we will sweep the Dodgers. We'll take both series.

russ99
06-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I highly doubt they sweep us at home. They're unbeatable at home, but very beatable on the road. Plus, we play better at home.

I also don't think we will sweep the Dodgers. We'll take both series.

I think getting out of that little pesky bandbox will do wonders for their psyche. Also, the hitting was there, we just couldn't get any break - that one hit that gets everything going.

Also, the guys and Ozzie seem on an even keel. Obviously that series hurt, but they're not treating it like the end of the season, unlike some fans and the local media.

It's Time
06-23-2008, 02:41 PM
I think getting out of that little pesky bandbox will do wonders for their psyche. Also, the hitting was there, we just couldn't get any break - that one hit that gets everything going.

Also, the guys and Ozzie seem on an even keel. Obviously that series hurt, but they're not treating it like the end of the season, unlike some fans and the local media.

They have won 9 of the last 10 in the series. That makes it back to back sweeps (Cell last year and Wrigley this year). That more then "hurts".

PhillipsBubba
06-23-2008, 02:49 PM
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2006/image06/060206chicagoFire.jpg

...at least from a South Side Perspective

jdm2662
06-23-2008, 03:35 PM

They took 3 out of 4 against BALT the very next series. They seemed fine then. It really started in the BOS series before the break where they took only 1 of 3, and then being swept in NY right after the break.

bluestar
06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
They took 3 out of 4 against BALT the very next series. They seemed fine then. It really started in the BOS series before the break where they took only 1 of 3, and then being swept in NY right after the break.

That is very true, but the Orioles really stunk. I just remember thinking at various times later in that season that the final game of the series with the Cubs seemed to be a very bad omen of things to come. That could very well have been placing an undue amount of importance on the Sox-Cubs series though.

jdm2662
06-23-2008, 04:17 PM
That is very true, but the Orioles really stunk. I just remember thinking at various times later in that season that the final game of the series with the Cubs seemed to be a very bad omen of things to come. That could very well have been placing an undue amount of importance on the Sox-Cubs series though .

Bingo! The media blows this series out of proportion (one of many reasons why I despise the series) just so they can get more stories out of it. The Sox went 3-3 against the Cubs in 2000 and 2005. The Cubs went 2-4 against the Sox in 2003. The Cubs also swept the Sox at Wrigley in 2004 only to fade the last week of the seaosn and miss the playoffs. There is no significance of this series unless you count the increase of annoyance and headaches. Sure, the Sox went 1-5 in 2007, but they were a terrible team before and after they played the Cubs. It made no difference. As JB as said countless times, the media around here is more interested in a good story line than anything else.

Now, before the series started, the Sox had a road losing streak, been inconsistent hitting and/or lacked a timely hit all season, and both Vazquez and Jose have been not very good lately. The Cubs were also unbeatable at home. What's different now from before Friday's game? Nothing happened this series that hasn't happened either recently or all season.

whitesox901
06-23-2008, 04:26 PM

I don't know what to expect the rest of the year. I have believed all year that what we have is a mediocre team. That said, stop overestimating the Twins and Tigers because they have serious issues as well. We're just as good, if not better, than the rest of this division, so the season isn't over after a bad series.

Halleluja! :smile:

TomBradley72
06-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm not that upset about this series because it was the Cubs. I'm concerned because we've been swept by the Rays, the Tigers and the Cubs on the road and lost 2/3 at home to the Rockies. The only time we've won in the last few weeks is against horrible pitching, at home, when the wind is blowing out.

Feels like another season when we're always waiting for "the run" or for things "to click". No panic...but we're on pace to win 88-89 games and I'm not really sure if that will be good enough to make the post season.

DickAllen72
06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm starting to think the Sox will need to end up trading for that speedy player.
Who's going to drive that speedy player in?

High Mileage
06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I feel bad for hoping for a Cubs' sweep. I didn't really expect it to happen though. I'll be watching the Sox closely as well, and I really doubt the Cubs can do the same in your guys' place...

Pear-Zin-Ski
06-23-2008, 06:18 PM
I've just decided the Sox aren't built for interleague at all. Here comes Minnesota, like so many years in the past. I'm starting to think the Sox will need to end up trading for that speedy player.

...or Minnesota should move to the NL!

white sox bill
06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Theres lights flashing in your rear view mirror...

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 06:27 PM
:thud:

:tealtutor:
:tealpolice:

bluestar
06-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Bingo! The media blows this series out of proportion (one of many reasons why I despise the series) just so they can get more stories out of it. The Sox went 3-3 against the Cubs in 2000 and 2005. The Cubs went 2-4 against the Sox in 2003. The Cubs also swept the Sox at Wrigley in 2004 only to fade the last week of the seaosn and miss the playoffs. There is no significance of this series unless you count the increase of annoyance and headaches. Sure, the Sox went 1-5 in 2007, but they were a terrible team before and after they played the Cubs. It made no difference. As JB as said countless times, the media around here is more interested in a good story line than anything else.

Now, before the series started, the Sox had a road losing streak, been inconsistent hitting and/or lacked a timely hit all season, and both Vazquez and Jose have been not very good lately. The Cubs were also unbeatable at home. What's different now from before Friday's game? Nothing happened this series that hasn't happened either recently or all season.

Excellent point.

TomBradley72
06-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Who's going to drive that speedy player in?

I looked at our batting average w/RISP this season...kind of interesting...we're hitting .285 (2nd in the AL) w/RISP...but we are 12th in team ABs w/RISP (ie. 3rd fewest ABs w/RISP).

High Mileage
06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
You guys can have Joey Gathright. Call up Kenny, let's get a deal done...

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 09:09 PM
You guys can have Joey Gathright. Call up Kenny, let's get a deal done...
Hey, I picked up Bannister and Jose Guillen for my fantasy league team just last night, and I already got a HR and most likely a win out of it!

We don't need Gathright though!

Soxfanspcu11
06-23-2008, 09:22 PM
This is the most baffling team I have ever seen.

Really? EVER??

I agree with you that they are indeed "baffling" and this has been a very up and down season. At times, they appear ready to go deep into the Playoffs. Other times they look like they should be in dead last place. It's really hard to know what We are going to get with this team.

A lot of people believe that the season doesn't really "begin" until after the All-Star Break. I am not one of those people. After all, games in April count the same in terms of Wins/Losses as games in September. However, I can see the point that those people are trying to make.

How many times have We seen a team either AWESOME at the All-Star Break and then completly fall apart in the 2nd Half or a team that is decent or even terrible at the Break and they go on a 2nd Half EXPLOSION.

It has happened so many times it can be almost guranteed that it will happen to at least one team every single year. The Yankees seem to be that team that is so/so or even outright BAD at the Break and then go on to do work in the 2nd Half and find their way into the Playoffs. It seems to happen with them every single year.

And of course let's not forget 2 very recent teams that represented both sides of that scenario. The 2005 Cleveland Indians (was the entire team juicing during the 2nd half?!?) and of course the 2006 White Sox (what was their 1st Half Record?? Something like 56-25? And We all know how that turned out).

So, even though there have been a bunch of games played already and We are about a third or so into the Season, maybe a little more, I personally believe that it is still much too early to say one way or another.

I think that this White Sox team IS that good. When they go on their "Hot Streaks", I do believe that We are witnessing the "real" White Sox team. But it really is just so hard to say, especially at this point.

Let's not forget the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals. A team that really was not all that good (remember what We did to them when We played them during the Regular Season?). However, they got themselves into the Playoffs and just so happened to catch FIRE at the EXACT RIGHT MOMENT. Baseball is probably the strangest game in that regard.

So, while I do agree with parts of what you are saying, to call the 2008 White Sox the "most baffling team that you have ever seen" is a bit of a stretch. I have seen much more "baffling" teams, both for good and bad. Plus, I am also of the opinion that you really can not judge a team until after their season has ended. As I said, there is just too many things that could happen. Too many possibilities. We shall see though.

Frankfan4life
06-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Really? EVER??

I agree with you that they are indeed "baffling" and this has been a very up and down season. At times, they appear ready to go deep into the Playoffs. Other times they look like they should be in dead last place. It's really hard to know what We are going to get with this team.

A lot of people believe that the season doesn't really "begin" until after the All-Star Break. I am not one of those people. After all, games in April count the same in terms of Wins/Losses as games in September. However, I can see the point that those people are trying to make.

How many times have We seen a team either AWESOME at the All-Star Break and then completly fall apart in the 2nd Half or a team that is decent or even terrible at the Break and they go on a 2nd Half EXPLOSION.

It has happened so many times it can be almost guranteed that it will happen to at least one team every single year. The Yankees seem to be that team that is so/so or even outright BAD at the Break and then go on to do work in the 2nd Half and find their way into the Playoffs. It seems to happen with them every single year.

And of course let's not forget 2 very recent teams that represented both sides of that scenario. The 2005 Cleveland Indians (was the entire team juicing during the 2nd half?!?) and of course the 2006 White Sox (what was their 1st Half Record?? Something like 56-25? And We all know how that turned out).

So, even though there have been a bunch of games played already and We are about a third or so into the Season, maybe a little more, I personally believe that it is still much too early to say one way or another.

I think that this White Sox team IS that good. When they go on their "Hot Streaks", I do believe that We are witnessing the "real" White Sox team. But it really is just so hard to say, especially at this point.

Let's not forget the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals. A team that really was not all that good (remember what We did to them when We played them during the Regular Season?). However, they got themselves into the Playoffs and just so happened to catch FIRE at the EXACT RIGHT MOMENT. Baseball is probably the strangest game in that regard.

So, while I do agree with parts of what you are saying, to call the 2008 White Sox the "most baffling team that you have ever seen" is a bit of a stretch. I have seen much more "baffling" teams, both for good and bad. Plus, I am also of the opinion that you really can not judge a team until after their season has ended. As I said, there is just too many things that could happen. Too many possibilities. We shall see though. Thank you for the brief history lesson. While I get what you're saying, maybe you didn't understand that I was limiting my comments to Sox teams, not every baseball team in the league from the beginning of time. I also tried to explain what I meant when I used the term “baffling.” Nevertheless, I reserve the right to determine which Sox teams I deem to be the most baffling. If you don’t agree, then you are free to select any team you might feel best represents that sentiment to you.

On April 23, 2005, Cleveland was two games under 500 and two games over 500 on July 23. So, within four months, they improved by a total of four games. They weren’t exactly taking their fans on a rollercoaster ride. During that period, the Sox were 10 games over and then 20 games over 500 respectively. Consistently good! One month later, the Sox were 28 games over 500 and the Jndians were 14 games over 500. So, the Sox were still playing very well but Cleveland was going berserk. On September 23rd, Cleveland was 28 games over 500 and the Sox were 31 games over 500. In other words, Cleveland was streaking. How they did it didn’t matter as much as the fact that they were doing it and doing it consistently. I am puzzled why in your examples of first-half, second-half turnarounds, you forgot to mention the stunning reversal of fortune the NY Mets experienced last year when they lost the division and failed to make the playoffs after leading the Phillies by 7 games with less than a month to play.

I didn’t get your point about the 2006 Sox. They were in first place on April 23, with a record of 13-5 and they finished the season with a record of 86-69 (3rd place). The Sox managed to maintain a double-digit advantage between wins and losses pretty much throughout the season. Nothing baffling about that. Unfortunately, Minnesota and Detroit just played better.

I think that you may have confused the terms streaky with baffling (causing a feeling of confusion or helplessness). I agree that the Sox have the players to be division winners; after all they are in first place. But, I feel they have achieved it in a manner that lacks any kind of consistency and that if it weren’t for the fact that the rest of the AL Central has been playing like the 2006 NL Central, we would probably not be leading the division. You stated that St. Louis was not very good during the 2006 regular season. However, they were good enough to consistently dominate the less than average teams in their division all season. I only hope the 2008 Sox will be so good or so lucky.

Soxfanspcu11
06-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Thank you for the brief history lesson. While I get what you're saying, maybe you didn't understand that I was limiting my comments to Sox teams, not every baseball team in the league from the beginning of time. I also tried to explain what I meant when I used the term “baffling.” Nevertheless, I reserve the right to determine which Sox teams I deem to be the most baffling. If you don’t agree, then you are free to select any team you might feel best represents that sentiment to you.

On April 23, 2005, Cleveland was two games under 500 and two games over 500 on July 23. So, within four months, they improved by a total of four games. They weren’t exactly taking their fans on a rollercoaster ride. During that period, the Sox were 10 games over and then 20 games over 500 respectively. Consistently good! One month later, the Sox were 28 games over 500 and the Jndians were 14 games over 500. So, the Sox were still playing very well but Cleveland was going berserk. On September 23rd, Cleveland was 28 games over 500 and the Sox were 31 games over 500. In other words, Cleveland was streaking. How they did it didn’t matter as much as the fact that they were doing it and doing it consistently. I am puzzled why in your examples of first-half, second-half turnarounds, you forgot to mention the stunning reversal of fortune the NY Mets experienced last year when they lost the division and failed to make the playoffs after leading the Phillies by 7 games with less than a month to play.

I didn’t get your point about the 2006 Sox. They were in first place on April 23, with a record of 13-5 and they finished the season with a record of 86-69 (3rd place). The Sox managed to maintain a double-digit advantage between wins and losses pretty much throughout the season. Nothing baffling about that. Unfortunately, Minnesota and Detroit just played better.

I think that you may have confused the terms streaky with baffling (causing a feeling of confusion or helplessness). I agree that the Sox have the players to be division winners; after all they are in first place. But, I feel they have achieved it in a manner that lacks any kind of consistency and that if it weren’t for the fact that the rest of the AL Central has been playing like the 2006 NL Central, we would probably not be leading the division. You stated that St. Louis was not very good during the 2006 regular season. However, they were good enough to consistently dominate the less than average teams in their division all season. I only hope the 2008 Sox will be so good or so lucky.

:scratch:

I wasn't trying to be rude, just responding to your post.

I said that in general, I agreed with you. I just disagreed on that one part.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond in a hostile manner but your certainly free to do so. I clearly offended you and I apologize for that. That was certainly not My intent. Have a nice day.:smile:

tony1972
06-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Maybe still by this weekend, but not long after. They will be in 3rd place pretty soon. We are not that good, the other teams are just sucking that much more.

http://www.fluxw.com/debbie.gif

voodoochile
06-24-2008, 04:07 PM
:)

:moonwalk:

:thumbsup:

:supernana:

Man, it's great to be in first place...

munchman33
06-24-2008, 04:17 PM
:)

:moonwalk:

:thumbsup:

:supernana:

Man, it's great to be in first place...

And so long as all it takes to stay in first is to be a .500 caliber team, we'll continue to be there.

And to think, if we had just stayed hot when we went into Detroit, we could have gotten far enough up that it wouldn't matter that we aren't that good.

Being in first is great when you have a good team. This team being in first makes me nervous and uneasy. Because every bit of logic points to it not continuing.

I can't enjoy something that I know is a fluke. Sorry, it's just a personality flaw.

oeo
06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I can't enjoy something that I know is a fluke. Sorry, it's just a personality flaw.

What about their season has been a fluke?

Nothing special? Yeah. A fluke? :scratch:

Every team in this division is flawed. The Sox are in first place because they're the best team in the division. Is that saying much? Most certainly not, but it's still true. This division is garbage. You keep telling yourself that the Twins (that's a funny one...if anything, their record right now is better than where they should be) and the Tigers are better teams.

voodoochile
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
And so long as all it takes to stay in first is to be a .500 caliber team, we'll continue to be there.

And to think, if we had just stayed hot when we went into Detroit, we could have gotten far enough up that it wouldn't matter that we aren't that good.

Being in first is great when you have a good team. This team being in first makes me nervous and uneasy. Because every bit of logic points to it not continuing.

No it's not logic, it's hopeless negativity. Don't worry, there's a cure, First you put on a song you really like. Then you start shaking your ass to the beat. Start moving your arms and feet and next thing you know, you're dancing. Come on, you can do it, sing along with the words. Okay, now when that part you really like comes on, shout the words as loud as you can.

When the Song is over, eat some chocolate and take a nap. When you wake up, try the song thing again. Pop on some Sox clothing and go enjoy something outside. Just take a walk. Don't do anything but find things to be happy about - flowers, birds, a neighbor with a cute butt, go look at the skyline if necessary. It's really quite beautiful. Games late tonight, so go down and check out the lights on Buckingham Fountain and watch the sun set. Then go back home and turn on the game. Now comes the tricky part. If the first few players fail to reach base, don't freak out. It happens. Whatever you do, stay a long way away from the game thread here at WSI, those people need prozac, therapy and a special drawer for sharp objects that locks from the inside.

If all else fails, pet your dog or cat and try to think a happy thought.

Here's one for you to enjoy... The Sox are in first place! :)

asindc
06-24-2008, 05:03 PM
No it's not logic, it's hopeless negativity. Don't worry, there's a cure, First you put on a song you really like. Then you start shaking your ass to the beat. Start moving your arms and feet and next thing you know, you're dancing. Come on, you can do it, sing along with the words. Okay, now when that part you really like comes on, shout the words as loud as you can.

When the Song is over, eat some chocolate and take a nap. When you wake up, try the song thing again. Pop on some Sox clothing and go enjoy something outside. Just take a walk. Don't do anything but find things to be happy about - flowers, birds, a neighbor with a cute butt, go look at the skyline if necessary. It's really quite beautiful. Games late tonight, so go down and check out the lights on Buckingham Fountain and watch the sun set. Then go back home and turn on the game. Now comes the tricky part. If the first few players fail to reach base, don't freak out. It happens. Whatever you do, stay a long way away from the game thread here at WSI, those people need prozac, therapy and a special drawer for sharp objects that locks from the inside.

Early nominee for post of the week.

whitesox901
06-24-2008, 05:06 PM

What more could you ask for? :bandance:

PatK
06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
oeo comes correct!

Bob G
06-24-2008, 06:45 PM
We have now played 75 games which means we're only 6 games away from the halfway point. If you would have told me we would be 7 games over 500 and in first place at this point in the season back in early April I would not have believed it.

I know we have not been playing very good baseball lately and the offense has been inconsistent but trying to keep everything in perspective this team is still exceeding my expectations. The AL central is not nearly as strong as most people thought it would be (which is probably the biggest surprise so far) but despite our flaws I think we'll still be in the hunt come September as long as our pitching doesn't take a dive.

KingXerxes
06-24-2008, 07:00 PM
To all the nervous ones out there, ask yourself this question:

Would you rather be the White Sox right now, or Minesota, Detroit or Cleveland?

If you answered "White Sox" because they are in first a game and a half up (with about 90 more to go) - then you are right!

Take it easy, if we lose the next 15 games in a row we'll fall down to fourth in the division. But wouldn't you have to agree that if we went on such a losing streak that we BELONG down there?

They're in first, and until some other team overtakes them, they will be in first and I still don't think anybody is going to overtake them in this division.

munchman33
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM

For me, it's a cigar and an IPA. Made me feel quite good.

munchman33
06-24-2008, 07:29 PM
To all the nervous ones out there, ask yourself this question:

Would you rather be the White Sox right now, or Minesota, Detroit or Cleveland?

If you answered "White Sox" because they are in first a game and a half up (with about 90 more to go) - then you are right!

Take it easy, if we lose the next 15 games in a row we'll fall down to fourth in the division. But wouldn't you have to agree that if we went on such a losing streak that we BELONG down there?

They're in first, and until some other team overtakes them, they will be in first and I still don't think anybody is going to overtake them in this division.

Xerxes I think the problem is a big losing streak for this team wouldn't be that much of a stretch. They're flawed and streaky. We're equally capable of putting up ten wins in a row as we are ten losses in a row. I wouldn't be surprised to see us do both this year. I feel like, with what I've seen of this team, we're going to end up with around 82 wins, give or take. You really think someone else isn't going to surpass that?

gosox41
06-24-2008, 11:23 PM
If the Sox can't win 2 of 3 against an LA team that can't score runs, generally, ANYWHERE, then start worrying.

No Billingsley and Penny on the DL..... Sox should win 2 of 3 easily.

Nothing is easy with this team.

Bob

Frankfan4life
06-24-2008, 11:49 PM
:scratch:

I wasn't trying to be rude, just responding to your post.

I said that in general, I agreed with you. I just disagreed on that one part.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond in a hostile manner but your certainly free to do so. I clearly offended you and I apologize for that. That was certainly not My intent. Have a nice day.:smile:It was also not my intent to be hostile. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I was merely defending my opinion. When you responded to my post with a 503 word, 10 paragraph discourse, I felt compelled to defend my opinion accordingly. Maybe you didn't notice but I also agreed with you that the Sox have a good team. Even so, there is nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion. It's the variety of opinions and lively conversations that makes this message board so interesting.

I think most of us are still pretty emotional after the weekend series disappointment. Hopefully, some Sox wins coupled with some Minnesota losses will calm things down.

I have no hard feelings. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/peace.gif

Lip Man 1
06-25-2008, 01:49 AM
The Twins especially this decade are like Dracula.

Until you drive a stake through the heart, cut the head off and burn the body they remain a presence.

So far this season, no Santana, no Hunter...doesn't seem to be an issue.

Those three games the last week in Minnesota could loom extremely large.

Lip

High Mileage
06-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Don't look now, but my Royals have won 10 of their last 12. We're only 1/2 game behind Cleveland, 2 games behind Detroit...

voodoochile
06-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Don't look now, but my Royals have won 10 of their last 12. We're only 1/2 game behind Cleveland, 2 games behind Detroit...

So all those wins playing in this crappy division and you're still in last? Sucks to be you...:tongue:

High Mileage
06-25-2008, 02:13 AM
So all those wins playing in this crappy division and you're still in last? Sucks to be you...:tongue:

12 game losing streaks tend to put a dent in things...:redneck

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2008, 02:21 AM
12 game losing streaks tend to put a dent in things...:redneck
Wait til next month! :cool:

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Xerxes I think the problem is a big losing streak for this team wouldn't be that much of a stretch. They're flawed and streaky. We're equally capable of putting up ten wins in a row as we are ten losses in a row.So is every team in the division. Deal with it.

High Mileage
06-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Wait til next month! :cool:

I'm looking forward to it actually. We've only played the Sox 3 times, and we're swept, was still a good series though. Since then we've been 12-6, and 3 of those loses were by 1 run. We also haven't played the Rays at all this season, and we have 8 games against them in July...

Jollyroger2
06-25-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm looking forward to it actually. We've only played the Sox 3 times, and we're swept, was still a good series though. Since then we've been 12-6, and 3 of those loses were by 1 run. We also haven't played the Rays at all this season, and we have 8 games against them in July...

Would hate to see what you think is a bad series, if getting swept and outscored 21-11 is your idea of a good series.

munchman33
06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
So is every team in the division. Deal with it.

I'm not thinking about that. Nor am I able to take solace in a team thats only triumph this season is a 20% chance of being the tallest midget.

High Mileage
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Would hate to see what you think is a bad series, if getting swept and outscored 21-11 is your idea of a good series.
Could've been worse. Hillman left Greinke in one innning too long in the first game, we got 2 runs on Jenks in the 9th in game 2, which was then followed by the bonehead move of leaving Gobble in to face Konerko in the 15th, and Contreras just pitched really well in game 3. Like I said, that series has been a turning point for my Royals. You guys played like a 1st place team, and my guys played like a last place team...

Frontman
06-25-2008, 11:56 AM

Until you drive a stake through the heart, cut the head off and burn the body they remain a presence.

Lip

More like Rasputin. At least Dracula took a few years between movies. Rasputin was stabbed, poison, thrown into a river, etc and walked back in the front door saying,

"I'm getting annoyed with all of you."

That's how I picture the Twins organization. It doesn't seem possible, but that team refuses to lay down, no matter what the Sox or any other team does to them.

Lip Man 1
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
They consistently have the ability to win games by various and sundry means (bunt, hit and run, the occasional home run) and usually have a killer bullpen.

Those will win you a lot of games... just ask the 2005 White Sox.

Lip

palehozenychicty
06-25-2008, 12:44 PM
More like Rasputin. At least Dracula took a few years between movies. Rasputin was stabbed, poison, thrown into a river, etc and walked back in the front door saying,

"I'm getting annoyed with all of you."

That's how I picture the Twins organization. It doesn't seem possible, but that team refuses to lay down, no matter what the Sox or any other team does to them.

They definitely play hard and sound. But their overall lack of depth and talent frequently gets exposed in the postseason. They turned into a pumpkin against Oakland two years ago when Frank hit that shot off Santana.

Desert Rat
06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Sorry if this doesn't exactly fit the current thread. But just wanted to say what a pleasure it was watching the Dodger TV broadcast last night. I guess I have never really seen/heard an entire Vin Scully game before (that I remember) and it's easy to see why the man is a true HOF broadcaster. No color man, just him and his 50+ years of baseball knowledge. He literally spent 90% of the telecast talking about the Sox, tidbits about our guys that I never knew. Interesting to hear his perspective on the 2 teams, never boring, funny...total class. Even their post game wrapup featured interviews with JD and Ozzie. Makes the Einsteins on Sunday ESPN look worse than they are and I hate to say it, also makes me see just how boring Hawk and DJ can be. On to game 2, go Sox!

oeo
06-25-2008, 05:20 PM

Lip

I'd say no Santana is an issue. Their rotation is at the bottom of the league...Liriano continues to struggle in AAA.

In the past, the Twins always had the pitching to stick around...they don't have that this year. Mark my words: they won't be around in September.

SoxGirl4Life
06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
I'd say no Santana is an issue. Their rotation is at the bottom of the league...Liriano continues to struggle in AAA.

In the past, the Twins always had the pitching to stick around...they don't have that this year. Mark my words: they won't be around in September.

:praying:

Lip Man 1
06-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Oeo:

I hope your right. I don't relish a replay of mid September 2003 again.

Lip

munchman33
06-25-2008, 06:04 PM

You mean despite losing Santana and having Liriano not pitch like himself yet they're right there with us? Oh sure, they'll go away for sure.

Stop ****in' jinxing us. :mad:

JB98
06-25-2008, 06:50 PM

The 2008 Sox have not played well in domes, so I hope the Twins aren't around in September. I'm not comfortable with "must-win" late September games in that ****hole dome up there.

delben91
06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Twins rule

Sox drool

Jurr
06-25-2008, 11:47 PM
The Twins dump veterans for young talent at exactly the right time. They get maximum returns. The Sox do the exact opposite.

High Mileage
06-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Royals sweep the Rockies, into 4th place!

chisoxmike
06-26-2008, 12:34 AM

How many times has this been said the past eight years? I won't believe it until September 29.

Jurr
06-26-2008, 01:03 AM
How many times has this been said the past eight years? I won't believe it until September 29.
They'll be around, ready to toss our smoldering carcasses onto the heap as they do every year. They'll only outscore their opponents by a total of 15 runs all year, but it'll be enough because they always do just enough to win, and that includes playing defense and putting together a consistent offensive attack.

That said, the LAST thing this team needs is for Gavin Floyd to start letting a little doubt creep back into his head. It'll be curtains for the Sox, guaranteed.

ChiSoxGirl
06-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Our first place lead is on life support, folks... only 1/2 game up now. :mad:

High Mileage
06-26-2008, 01:10 AM
I didn't realize the Twins were so hot until tonight...

AZChiSoxFan
06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry if this doesn't exactly fit the current thread. But just wanted to say what a pleasure it was watching the Dodger TV broadcast last night. I guess I have never really seen/heard an entire Vin Scully game before (that I remember) and it's easy to see why the man is a true HOF broadcaster. No color man, just him and his 50+ years of baseball knowledge. He literally spent 90% of the telecast talking about the Sox, tidbits about our guys that I never knew. Interesting to hear his perspective on the 2 teams, never boring, funny...total class. Even their post game wrapup featured interviews with JD and Ozzie. Makes the Einsteins on Sunday ESPN look worse than they are and I hate to say it, also makes me see just how boring Hawk and DJ can be. On to game 2, go Sox!

Funny you mention this point. I too don't live in the Chicago area and watch the Sox via Extra Innings. Normally, I'm anxious to find out which broadcasting crew we get, as I really like Hawk and DJ. However, this is the one series in which I don't mind not getting Hawk and DJ, as I love listening to Vin Scully.

BTW, on a side note, the Pirates' crew has to be the worst in the history of MLB. Those clowns were a complete joke. Those guys were so bad that I'm thinking of applying for a job in their booth.

kitekrazy
06-26-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks for sharing that info. I might have to do the same.

If it weren't for ESPN, I would have no appreciation for Hawk and DJ.

kitekrazy
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM
BTW, on a side note, the Pirates' crew has to be the worst in the history of MLB. Those clowns were a complete joke. Those guys were so bad that I'm thinking of applying for a job in their booth.

What would you expect when they have to work for an organization that has become a farm system for other teams.

kitekrazy
06-26-2008, 10:26 AM
They consistently have the ability to win games by various and sundry means (bunt, hit and run, the occasional home run) and usually have a killer bullpen.

Those will win you a lot of games... just ask the 2005 White Sox.

Lip

This is an organization that in so many words Kenny wants to model. Yet he comes up short. He has to go outside of the organization to get those type of players.

They just can't get out of station to station baseball hell. It's not so bad if your 3rd, 4th hitters are hitting over .300.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2008, 12:41 AM
...this is the one series in which I don't mind not getting Hawk and DJ, as I love listening to Vin Scully.I know it's considered sacrilege, but I find Scully incredibly boring. He's near monotone and pretty much nothing gets him excited.

My wife, who likes to listen to the ballgames while she's doing other things, had the XM on Wednesday night. She came downstairs, asked "what's the deal with this guy?" then closed her eyes and made snoring sounds.

TommyJohn
06-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I know it's considered sacrilege, but I find Scully incredibly boring. He's near monotone and pretty much nothing gets him excited.

My wife, who likes to listen to the ballgames while she's doing other things, had the XM on Wednesday night. She came downstairs, asked "what's the deal with this guy?" then closed her eyes and made snoring sounds.

I agree. I lived in the LA area for a few years and used to catch the
occasional Dodger game on TV. Vin Scully put me to sleep. I used to
think "how the hell is this guy such a legend? He's boring as hell!!"

BRDSR
06-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I agree. I lived in the LA area for a few years and used to catch the
occasional Dodger game on TV. Vin Scully put me to sleep. I used to
think "how the hell is this guy such a legend? He's boring as hell!!"

Heresy! Witches! Let's tie cinder blocks to their ankles and see if they float!

I've actually never heard Vin Scully call a regular old game, just heard a few of his historic calls. But I'm interested. The only thing WSI is this divided over is Brian Anderson.

High Mileage
06-28-2008, 12:50 AM
I would not take the Royals lightly. Just ask the Cardinals.

Thank you! And again tonight, 7-2. We take the I-70 Series this year (big deal around here). My team is now .500 at home, and have the same road record as the White Sox!