PDA

View Full Version : If the cubs win this year

Scottzilla
06-23-2008, 01:24 AM
I know its theres alot of games left but they looked pretty good this series. So i'm wondering, if they were to win it all this year, would you be at all cynical? I myself am thinking its too much to have the 3 longest streaks broken in 6 years.
I mentioned this to a cubs fan and even she thought it was kinda fishy.

I_Liked_Manuel
06-23-2008, 01:30 AM
the best part about a conspiracy theory is that there are no facts to prove or disprove it............so ya, it's kinda fishy.

CubKilla
06-23-2008, 01:30 AM
They won't. They're the Cubs. So don't sweat it.

Although..... I will admit..... the way the Cubs are playing at home this season, it is IMPERATIVE that the AL win the All-Star game this season.

Get to voting for the best of the best Sox fans :bandance:

MrRoboto83
06-23-2008, 01:32 AM

Although..... I will admit..... the way the Cubs are playing at home this season, it is IMPERATIVE that the AL win the All-Star game this season.

No way the NL wins in Yankee Stadium.

QCIASOXFAN
06-23-2008, 01:33 AM
I think if I said no I would be lieing. It all depends on how there fans react...if I know Cub fans it will be like complete ****ing ****heads. I know a lot of cool Cubs fans I would be very happy for, but that number is trumped greatly by the dumb *******s around here who follow that team.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2008, 02:18 AM
No. If there was some kind of "fix" in, they would have ended the Cubs' string some time ago. A Cubs/Red Sox Series would have been a natural if they were fixing things.

Noneck
06-23-2008, 02:21 AM
One never knows, The Company Men may appear.

DSpivack
06-23-2008, 02:27 AM
No. If there was some kind of "fix" in, they would have ended the Cubs' string some time ago. A Cubs/Red Sox Series would have been a natural if they were fixing things. Maybe there was in 2003, and that's why the Red Sox won in 2004, but the Cubs screwed even a fix up, so as punishment they gave the 2005 title to the Sox and 2006 to the Cardinals.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 03:16 AM
I don't think it would have anything to do with a "fix" at all. The Sox and Red Sox were just the best of the best...that is all.

I'd have to root for the AL team regardless here.

CubKilla
06-23-2008, 03:24 AM
I don't think it would have anything to do with a "fix" at all. The Sox and Red Sox were just the best of the best...that is all.

Yup. I don't give a flying fig who represents the AL in a World Series against the Cubs. Twins? Indians? Go Twins and Injuns!!!!!

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 03:28 AM
Yup. I don't give a flying fig who represents the AL in a World Series against the Cubs. Twins? Indians? Go Twins and Injuns!!!!!
A friend of mine called me after yesterday's horrible outing, and we both agreed we'd root for anyone...the Twins, Indians, Tigers, Red Sox, or Yankees if that were to ever happen. I mean, at least we wouldn't have to deal with sharing the same city with them. I want '05 to be the last World Series experienced by Chicago...until our Sox do it again!

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Its the "Law of Averages".

SoxGirl4Life
06-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Its the "Law of Averages".

The Cubs have violated that law for 99 years. So had the Sox until 2005. btw. Every year, every team's statistical chances are the same on opening day.

moochpuppy
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't think winning is in the Cubs best interest. They would lose their one most successful link to bringing in the "fans" at Wrigley and that is as the Lovable Losers. :rolleyes:

rookie
06-23-2008, 12:52 PM
If they did win, the following 3-5 years would be awful (unless we won again), but then the hype would die down and they would be like any other team. Think about Boston. Their popularity was their ballpark and their drought. (Though Boston in all fairness was always in it and had to compete with the biggest spender in the league in their division). Boston still gets a lot of press (mainly because of being in ESPNland), but they at least earn a fair share of it by their play on the field.

Cub fans get that ridiculous loyal brand because they've "stood by" their team for so many years. Without that all they got is their ballpark. And who knows what lies in the future with their organization with the whole thing up for sale.

Last thing, it is June. Half the season yet to go. I know Cub fans like to celebrate every single thing, but there is something to be said againist being crowned NL champs too early. I imagine the rest of the NL might have something to say about that. (The NY Giants sure did.)

soxpride724
06-23-2008, 02:04 PM

The two teams I despise the most in the A.L are the Red Sox and the Tigers.With that being said, if either of those temas faced the Cubs in the fall classic, I would become the biggest Red Sox or Tigers fan.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Last thing, it is June. Half the season yet to go. I know Cub fans like to celebrate every single thing, but there is something to be said againist being crowned NL champs too early. I imagine the rest of the NL might have something to say about that. (The NY Giants sure did.)

All I know is this - every time there was a base hit, or a fly ball (the ended up being caught), a roar went up like oil was found under the field. The focus should always be on the day to day, but this self back patting is what drives me nuts about Cub fans.

In some weird way, I look forward to whenever they do win the WS....it will be interesting to see how the teams gets marketed WS+1 or 2 if they fail to repeat or fail to make the postseason again. I said this to a Cub fan friend of mine today, and he didn't argue - I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see this team dismantled by the end of the 2009 season, whether they win or not. The overhead will be too great if they DON'T deliver, and if they do, they'll see what $ they can dump riding the PR coattails.

If the Sox were a "fluke" by not making the postseason in 2006, are the Cubs the same flukes then or are they back to being lovable? I think the lovable term goes away WS + 1 day after they win it. Then, they become another baseball team.

palehozenychicty
06-23-2008, 02:55 PM
If they did win, the following 3-5 years would be awful (unless we won again), but then the hype would die down and they would be like any other team. Think about Boston. Their popularity was their ballpark and their drought. (Though Boston in all fairness was always in it and had to compete with the biggest spender in the league in their division). Boston still gets a lot of press (mainly because of being in ESPNland), but they at least earn a fair share of it by their play on the field.

Cub fans get that ridiculous loyal brand because they've "stood by" their team for so many years. Without that all they got is their ballpark. And who knows what lies in the future with their organization with the whole thing up for sale.

Indeed. Somebody has come out of nowhere in the NL over the last few seasons to make noise at the end. I wish that I knew who, though...:?:

russ99
06-23-2008, 03:00 PM
a roar went up like oil was found under the field.

:D:

I take the most comfort today knowing that despite how good the Cubs look today, they'll find some way to blow it.

It's inevitable. With their higher visiblity and the mindset that the players and fans have about the "anniversary", all these expectations will become like a pressure-cooker by fall. Besides, it's in their nature to fail. Miserably so.

TDog
06-23-2008, 03:31 PM
This isn't pro wrestling or the NFL. The Cubs aren't going to win the World Series. They didn't win in 1969 when the world was behind the loveable Ernie Banks Cubs. They ended up losing the division to an expansion team. They didn't win in 1984 when they developed their national following They ended up losing the NLCS to an expansion team from a much smaller market. They didn't win in 2003. They ended up losing the NLCS to an expansion team with a small following. And the Cubs have lost plenty to times in between, to established teams and expansion teams.

Pitching means so much in October, and pitchers who look good into July often are not the pitchers who look good in October. Innings and increased scouting catches up to many guys.

aryzner
06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
A lot of you guys don't give them enough (or any) credit.

They're a great team this year. I think they've got a great shot at getting to the World Series. Winning it is definitely debatable, though.

I know it's not October and for all I know they could be even more on fire by then, but looking at baseball right now, one would have to say if the Cubs were the NL team in the WS, they'd play either the Angels, the Rays, or the Red Sox.

Angels would be interesting because they CAN win on the road and boy are they ever doing just that. Could they be the team that could come into Wrigley and beat up on the Cubs? Judging by their road record, they look the most likely team to be able to.

The Rays I think are also interesting after just sweeping the Cubs in Tampa. They showed them that they can play.

The Red Sox are the Red Sox and are always a real good team these days. Great hitters vs great hitters there.

I'm not trying to bash the Cubs and say they have no chance, I'm just saying that they'd have some major competition if they DID make it to the WS here in 2008.

TDog
06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
A lot of you guys don't give them enough (or any) credit.

They're a great team this year. I think they've got a great shot at getting to the World Series. Winning it is definitely debatable, though. ...

Any team with a great shot at getting to the World Series has a great shot at winning the World Series.

Anyone who beleive the American League is head and shoulders above the National League, putting the National League at a handicap in the World Series, isn't paying attention. The way the Cubs played the Sox, the Rockies played the Sox the Indians and the Reds played the Indians should awake people from such dreams.

scarsofthumper
06-23-2008, 04:26 PM
If the Cubs win the WS, there WILL be a riot in Wrigleyville.

Chicken Dinner
06-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't think they're a shoe in for the World Series, but it appears that they will win they're division. Cards and Brewers just don't have enough, and you can bet the Cubs will make a move for a starter before the deadline.

High Mileage
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
If the Cubs win it all then I will be convinced that baseball is rigged...

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I think the one thing that can change the Red Sox hate on this board would be defeating the Cubs in the World Series. I'll bet they'd never look better around here! :D:

Red Barchetta
06-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Amazing home record since the White Sox Head Groundskeeper fixed their field....

...something to hold over their heads! :D:

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Just wait til one of their outfielders gets injured for the rest of the season tripping over the mound in either bullpen!

SoxGirl4Life
06-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Amazing home record since the White Sox Head Groundskeeper fixed their field....

Oh hell yeah. The Sodfather brought them some good Karma!

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Hey I never thought of that...you're right! :D:

(By the way, love that Rush song--one of my very favorites by them. Hell, it might actually be my favorite, come to think of it! :smile:)

FielderJones
06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
the best part about a conspiracy theory is that there are no facts to prove or disprove it............so ya, it's kinda fishy.

Here's a fact: the Cubs are playing .800 ball at home and are a mediocre team on the road. That's kinda fishy.

If you have the games TiVoed, take a look at the Cubs strike zone against the same pitches Sox pitchers were throwing. The Cubs had a 19"-wide plate.

OldRomanPizza
06-23-2008, 10:55 PM
I have always said that if the Cubs win the World Series, it will instantly become about everything other than the everyday fan.

It will become about Jim Belushi, Bill Murray, Harry Caray's wife, John Cusack, etc. A can of Old Style at a Wrigleyville bar will cost $7, and that is after the $20 dollar cover everyone must pay just to get in. Trixies and Chads will get on all the cameras, and you won't able to distinguish the scenes from any other party.

Meanwhile, Cubs fans like my 67 year old mother will be at home, left behind.

soxwon
06-23-2008, 11:07 PM
If they somehow win it, Congratulate them and move on.
Cub fans wont have anything to cry about then.
Cubs winning it will only make US stronger.
And KW and JR will do WHATEVER it takes to win it next year.

Scottzilla
06-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Ok what I'm talking about is the conspiracy theory angle, no about how Id have to poke my ears with skewers so I couldn't hear all the obnoxious cub fanness.
I mean the law of averages has been a hideous bitch goddess to the Sox, cubs and bad sox for a year, but then played nice the last 6 years. I just think it seems odd. I mean if the owners are willing to let steroids screw the game to make some bucks, why wouldn't they do this? By the way red sox - cubs woulda been too obvious!

Yes I once thought pro wrestling was real. Fool me once.....

Soxfanspcu11
06-24-2008, 01:58 AM
No. If there was some kind of "fix" in, they would have ended the Cubs' string some time ago. A Cubs/Red Sox Series would have been a natural if they were fixing things.

BINGO!

I remember when both the ALCS and NLCS were going on in 2003 and during one of the games, I think it was Game 5 of the NYY/Boston Series, they did an Internet Poll thing and they asked the viewers who they would most want to see play in the World Series. The choices were as follows;

-NYY/Florida Marlins
-Boston/Florida Marlins
-NYY/scrubs
-Boston/scrubs

The results were unreal.

Boston/scrubs won by getting something like 87% of the vote. It was INSANE to see it be that overwhelming. The next closest was NYY/Scrubs and that got only like 6% of the vote. 3rd Place went for Boston/Florida. I'm assuming because at that point, Boston was still plagued by their "curse". But even though at that point Boston had not won since 1918, it still only got like 4.2% of the vote. And in dead last place was NYY/Florida Marlins. That scenario got something like 1.8% of the total vote. And of course, that's what we got.

So yeah, if there was ever going to be a "fix", it would have occurred that year and it would have been Boston/scrubs. Think of what a DREAM that would have been for Major League Baseball!

For better or worse, 2 of the most popular teams in ALL of sports (not just baseball) who both played/play in "historic" stadiums and who both had not Won anything in many many years. That would be close to as perfect of a World Series that MLB could have hoped for. The ratings would have been astronomical!!!

And this was just one year after MLB had nearly commited suicide by having yet another player's strike. A Boston/scrubs series would/could have been the biggest World Series ever. But after seeing what transpired, and both the Yankees and Marlins making it to the World Series, it is pretty obvious that they don't fix things. I mean, there was NEVER a better time to fix a situation in pretty much all of sports history then there was for them to fix a Boston/scrubs series that year. The fact that neither team made it to the World Series is proof enough for Me that MLB would never do that.

And btw, no one needs to worry about the scrubs in the World Series. They won't come close. Despite what they did to our Sox, they really are not that good. As Hawk always says, every year during the 6 Crosstown games, you can throw both teams records out the window.

Personally, I would like to see them make the World Series. Really just so all the scrubs fans would get all excited and when they got swept, it would be that much more funny. The National League rep has pretty much NO CHANCE against the American League rep this year. If the American League team does not sweep, I will be very surprised.

Craig Grebeck
06-24-2008, 02:13 AM
If people really think it would be "fishy" if one of the best teams in baseball won the world series, well hats off to you for the craziest **** I have ever read.

Will some of you guys ever stop finding reasons to discredit their success?

aryzner
06-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't think there's anything "fishy" about it. They're one of the best teams in baseball this year.

soxfan13
06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Just wait til one of their outfielders gets injured for the rest of the season tripping over the mound in either bullpen!

If Im not missing something, one of their best outfielders is out right now with an injury. The team is deep enough to keep chugging along.

Here's a fact: the Cubs are playing .800 ball at home and are a mediocre team on the road. That's kinda fishy.

If you have the games TiVoed, take a look at the Cubs strike zone against the same pitches Sox pitchers were throwing. The Cubs had a 19"-wide plate.

This could be the funniest most ridiculous excuse I have read so far to discredit the Cubs. I saw all three games and what I saw was our pitchers(excluding Danks.) and hitters not perform.

If people really think it would be "fishy" if one of the best teams in baseball won the world series, well hats off to you for the craziest **** I have ever read.

Will some of you guys ever stop finding reasons to discredit their success?

That will never happen here.

Etownsox13
06-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I know its theres alot of games left but they looked pretty good this series. So i'm wondering, if they were to win it all this year, would you be at all cynical? I myself am thinking its too much to have the 3 longest streaks broken in 6 years.

No, Major League Baseball is not the NBA

FielderJones
06-24-2008, 12:29 PM
No, Major League Baseball is not the NBA

NBA (motto: not quite as scripted as WWE) :tongue:

Scottzilla
06-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Well I'm saying not just a cubs win would be fixed but the sox andred sox ones as well. I'm not just discrediting the cubs, I just think the timing of all three droughts ending in the same decade is extraordinary.
The nba reference is great, I mean we can all see how the rules are interpreted differently for manufactured superstars. And you can always argue at any given baseball game that one side is not getting the same strike zone.

southside rocks
06-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Well I'm saying not just a cubs win would be fixed but the sox andred sox ones as well. I'm not just discrediting the cubs, I just think the timing of all three droughts ending in the same decade is extraordinary.
The nba reference is great, I mean we can all see how the rules are interpreted differently for manufactured superstars. And you can always argue at any given baseball game that one side is not getting the same strike zone.

Parity. It's a fact in major league baseball in recent years. Lots of reasons for it, but KW was right a couple of years ago when he said that the teams are getting very comparable in their talents and resources, and therefore very similar in their records.

It's also why there are so many .500 and around-.500 clubs.

And as for "all three droughts ending in the same decade" -- the Cubs drought hasn't ended yet. It's mid-June, still plenty of baseball left to play.

FielderJones
06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
This could be the funniest most ridiculous excuse I have read so far to discredit the Cubs. I saw all three games and what I saw was our pitchers(excluding Danks.) and hitters not perform.

I didn't say our pitchers (excluding Danks) and hitters performed well. I said there was a different strike zone for the Cubs pitchers than there was for the Sox pitchers. Dispute that. Run through the recorded games pitch by pitch and tell me that the Sox pitchers got the same borderline pitches that the Cubs did.

soxfan13
06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I didn't say our pitchers (excluding Danks) and hitters performed well. I said there was a different strike zone for the Cubs pitchers than there was for the Sox pitchers. Dispute that. Run through the recorded games pitch by pitch and tell me that the Sox pitchers got the same borderline pitches that the Cubs did.

You are reaching big time.

geraldfritz
06-24-2008, 01:17 PM
If the Cubs win, I will probably stop watching baseball. The odds of them breaking their streak at exactly 100 years is way to small. But I will still have fun hoping the will screw it up again, and when they do, I will laugh and laugh, wearing my 05 World Series Champions hat.

Jerko
06-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I know they are playing like a juggernaut right now, but I really don't think they're gonna be there at the end. If they win it all, well, they'll deserve it. I won't like it, but that's the one way to back up their obnoxious claims and premature celebrations.

palehozenychicty
06-24-2008, 03:05 PM
I know they are playing like a juggernaut right now, but I really don't think they're gonna be there at the end. If they win it all, well, they'll deserve it. I won't like it, but that's the one way to back up their obnoxious claims and premature celebrations.

Thank you. I have a feeling that they won't, either. That pitching just will not be enough at the end of the day.

Lastly, they're still the Cubs. :D:

soxpride724
06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Thank you. I have a feeling that they won't, either. That pitching just will not be enough at the end of the day.

Lastly, they're still the Cubs. :D:

I agree, but if all these so called "experts" in the national media are correct, they will have C.C from Cleveland by the All Star break.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
I agree, but if all these so called "experts" in the national media are correct, they will have C.C from Cleveland by the All Star break.
The Yankees will win the Sabathia sweepstakes.

palehozenychicty
06-24-2008, 03:17 PM

First of all, I'm curious as to who the Cubs have in their system that Cleveland would want. They don't need Pie nor Hill as they have good pitching depth in the minors.

Secondly, Captain Cheeseburger is a good pitcher. He has, however, yet to win many clutch games for the Tribe. Last year, he didn't get it done. In 2005, when they needed to catch the Sox, he faltered. That could all change this year, and I'll eat my words. I'm not convinced, though, he's the final piece.

soxpride724
06-24-2008, 03:19 PM

I hope you are right. I don't want to imagine what that rotation would look like with him on the north side.

High Mileage
06-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Just like they won the Santana sweepstakes, right?

soxpride724
06-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Just like they won the Santana sweepstakes, right?

The Mets had a great shot of landing him, it would have difrent if the Yanks were expected to get him and lets say the Royals got him:tongue:

Red Barchetta
06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I have always said that if the Cubs win the World Series, it will instantly become about everything other than the everyday fan.

It will become about Jim Belushi, Bill Murray, Harry Caray's wife, John Cusack, etc. A can of Old Style at a Wrigleyville bar will cost $7, and that is after the $20 dollar cover everyone must pay just to get in. Trixies and Chads will get on all the cameras, and you won't able to distinguish the scenes from any other party.

I agree. It will be the place to be seen!

I remember back in the early 80s. The SOX had just had their great 1983 run that ended with the disappointment against Baltimore and the Cubs had their 1984 run that ended with the disappointment against the Padres. My room mate at the time was a big Cubs fan and since the Tribune marketing machine was just starting to kick in, I didn't have the ill feeling against Cub Nation as I do today. Anyway, he picked up a end of season souvenier magazine and the day game playoff pictures against the Padres showed guys in suits/ties in the bleachers watching the game. At that moment, I knew things changed in Wrigleyville for good.....

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2008, 10:24 PM

You know, it was the same way with my dad. He wasn't anything like your stereotypical Cubs fan; just someone who grew up on the North Side watching the Cubs and being a true baseball fan. He died a few years ago but I know even he came to despise all the hype and circus-like atmosphere the organization morphed into. I actually think Sox fans were far less hateful towards the Cubs organization pre-1984.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2008, 01:40 AM
NBA (motto: not quite as scripted as WWE) :tongue:But not by very much.

Red Barchetta
06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
You know, it was the same way with my dad. He wasn't anything like your stereotypical Cubs fan; just someone who grew up on the North Side watching the Cubs and being a true baseball fan. He died a few years ago but I know even he came to despise all the hype and circus-like atmosphere the organization morphed into. I actually think Sox fans were far less hateful towards the Cubs organization pre-1984.

I have a few friends and family members who are true Cub fans and I respect that. However you are right in that many true SOX fans don't hate the Cubs per se, just the overblown marketing empire of everything Tribue. I remember the Cubs closing off the upper deck in the final years before being sold to the Tribune. The Tribune simply sold losing as luvable and sold on old ballpark as trendy and hip. That's what I hate. I've actually liked various Cub players over the years and certainly don't go out of my way to root against them.

If (and that's a big if) the Cubs do proceed to the WS, the circus and celebrity entourage will certainly show up and the true Cub fans will be left watching the games on TV.

comet2k
06-25-2008, 04:28 PM

For the Cubs to win it after 100 years would be a Hollywood ending that is sure to arouse the interest of a lot of skeptics who will go back to examine every game for signs that the fix was in (like the accusation here of the extra-wide strike zone). That's why the fix can't be in -- too many people are watching to get away with it.

If the Cubs get to the WS it will be because they earned it. And if they win it, good for them (unless they beat the Sox).