PDA

View Full Version : HCR's 45-cent beer promotion

thomas35forever
06-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Some of you may or may not know that Harry Carey's Restaurant in Lombard is selling beer for 45 cents until the Cubs' next home loss. From what I've heard, the restaurant is losing money because of it. The Cubs will probably sweep the O's and then they're on the road until July 8 when they play the Reds. I've heard they may stop doing it on weekends if this keeps up. Who would call this promotion a financial blunder?

ilsox7
06-22-2008, 11:17 PM
It's unlikely they are losing much money (if any at all), assuming they are only selling the crap beer for $0.45.

CHISOXFAN13
06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Speaking of cheap beer deals, McNally's will have nickel beers tomorrow.

Might help the South Siders drown some of their sorrows from the weekend.

QCIASOXFAN
06-23-2008, 12:09 AM
It's unlikely they are losing much money (if any at all), assuming they are only selling the crap beer for $0.45.
I assume they are selling 12oz cups or something of crap keg beer. They aren't losing any money. If anything they are making more money from people coming in the door for this eating food, buying shots etc.

ilsox7
06-23-2008, 01:03 AM
I assume they are selling 12oz cups or something of crap keg beer. They aren't losing any money. If anything they are making more money from people coming in the door for this eating food, buying shots etc.

Yep. Businesses generally do not promote specials that lose them money.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 02:23 AM
Yep. Businesses generally do not promote specials that lose them money.
And, if they truly ARE finding themselves to be losing money, they'll find a way to put some sort of a limit to the special.

Case in point...At Papa John's at ISU, they'd take a dollar off a pizza per touchdown the Redbirds would score the following day after a Redbird football game. Well, my first ever game as a college student, I went to the game, and we beat West Virginia Tech 75-10 (what a fun game that was!). Tons of dorms, fraternities, and campus apartments were having pizza parties for 99 cents per large pizza because of the deal! After that game, there was a limit put on the special to 6 touchdowns. Papa John's lost a ton of money that day!

eriqjaffe
06-23-2008, 08:11 AM
There's always this one...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/10/29/red_sox_title_means_free_furniture_for_some/

hi im skot
06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Bad karma.

ilsox7
06-23-2008, 11:49 AM
There's always this one...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/10/29/red_sox_title_means_free_furniture_for_some/

Yea, but they also did not lose much (or anything at all). I read some place in Chicago did a similar thing recently contingent on either the Cubs or Sox winning the World Series.

thomas35forever
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Yea, but they also did not lose much (or anything at all). I read some place in Chicago did a similar thing recently contingent on either the Cubs or Sox winning the World Series.
I think the promotion is a free TV if your team wins it all.

Demafrost
06-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Companies that do these promotions have insurance policies taken out that make back most if not all of the losses if the event comes true.

ilsox7
06-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Companies that do these promotions have insurance policies taken out that make back most if not all of the losses if the event comes true.

Hence, they do not lose much of anything. And one could argue they make money based on the free advertising.