PDA

View Full Version : Most nervous you have been before a sox game

RockRiversoxfan
06-22-2008, 10:43 PM
What is the most nervous you have ever been before a white sox game?

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2008, 10:44 PM
I think it was probably game one against Boston. Before that game started I was nervous and wanted to make sure we avoided a repeat of 2000. After that first inning though I felt like this was a team of destiny and no one was going to stop us.

JB98
06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
The second game of the Cleveland series at the Cell in late Sept. 2005. The Tribe had taken the opener to cut our lead to 1.5 games. I really thought we were going to blow it, and then Jenks blew a save in that game.

That was the night Crede homered off Riske in extra innings. Probably the biggest hit of the regular season in '05.

RockRiversoxfan
06-22-2008, 10:55 PM
The second game of the Cleveland series at the Cell in late Sept. 2005. The Tribe had taken the opener to cut our lead to 1.5 games. I really thought we were going to blow it, and then Jenks blew a save in that game.

That was the night Crede homered off Riske in extra innings. Probably the biggest hit of the regular season in '05.
I agree. that entire series was the most nerve racking 3 games of baseball in my whole life! i do not know how they lost 2 out of 3 and still stayed in first the rest of the way.

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2008, 10:56 PM

October 26, 2005. As I was watching on Fox the Latino legends of MLB being honored on the field, I was a nervous wreck realizing what would happen should the White Sox win that night.

russ99
06-22-2008, 10:57 PM
I think it was probably game one against Boston. Before that game started I was nervous and wanted to make sure we avoided a repeat of 2000. After that first inning though I felt like this was a team of destiny and no one was going to stop us.

I agree. But even more so, Game 2 vs. the Angels. Had we lost that one, it would have been a much tougher series.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I agree. But even more so, Game 2 vs. the Angels. Had we lost that one, it would have been a much tougher series.
Yea, actually game two was pretty big too.

Martinigirl
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Game two of the ALCS. If we would have lost we would have been down 0-2 and totally screwed. And the game was so close that I thought I was going to throw up the entire game. It really wasn't even enjoyable to be there, that is until Joe hit the double that scored AJ.

But I have to say I was a nervous wreck all of September and October 05.

sox1970
06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Tonight.

scarsofthumper
06-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Sitting in Sec 114 at Minute Maid Park knowing the Sox were 27 outs away from a World Championship.

kevingrt
06-22-2008, 11:26 PM

That was definitely my most nervous being in the stadium. If we lost the first two games at home we would have been toast I think.

October26
06-22-2008, 11:28 PM
October 26, 2005 - it was my wedding anniversary and the Sox were 1 win away from making my dream come true. I was truly a wreck.

Soxman219
06-22-2008, 11:41 PM
For me it was actually Game 3 in Boston. I was nervous because the Red Sox made the greatest comeback in MLB history back in 2004 and they could very well do it again. When El Duque struck out Damon after the bases were loaded, I knew that team was destined to win it all.:smile:

DumpJerry
06-22-2008, 11:53 PM
August 23, 1982. It was the first game I played in at the MLB level. We lost 5-4 to the Tribe, but at least I got to play. Once I was on the field, I was fine.

rookie
06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Game two of the ALCS. If we would have lost we would have been down 0-2 and totally screwed. And the game was so close that I thought I was going to throw up the entire game. It really wasn't even enjoyable to be there, that is until Joe hit the double that scored AJ.

But I have to say I was a nervous wreck all of September and October 05.

I agree. And wasn't it nice for Paulee to make it so easy for us the next 2 games. Thank goodness because with the supposed September "choke" and the Red Sox series I don't think I could've taken anymore. September was basically a whole month of nervousness. At least October was nervous, happy, nervous, happy.

For me it was actually Game 3 in Boston. I was nervous because the Red Sox made the greatest comeback in MLB history back in 2004 and they could very well do it again. When El Duque struck out Damon after the bases were loaded, I knew that team was destined to win it all.:smile:

My favorite moment of the postseason. The reason I like the back of the WS memorial better than the front. Hocus Pocus!

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I was a basket case during that late August-early Sept period in 05, so just about every game I was as nervous as I have ever been and that includes a year in Viet Nam and a few minor knee and hernia operations. If we didnt win that Crede game......?

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Last game of the 1993 ALCS against Toronto. I couldn't sit still at the game....we all know how well that turned out.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Right before Game 1 of the 2005 World Series. I tried to eat something that day, but couldn't eat very much.

Rockabilly
06-23-2008, 01:59 PM
game 4 in the 83 series vs balt.. that team broke my heart

eriqjaffe
06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
It really wasn't even enjoyable to be there, that is until Joe hit the double that scored AJ.:ozuna:
"Do I look Polish to you?"

For me, it had to be Game 4 of the Series. The Astros kept putting runners on, and watching the Sox wriggle out of jam after jam was just excruciating.

TDog
06-23-2008, 02:55 PM

It's always difficult to remember how nervous you were on one occasion compared with another, but for this game the anxiety was extreme. The Sox had just lost and another loss before heading to Anaheim could have (although probably wouldn't have in retrospect) doomed the Sox to the role of uncompetitive loser.

There was the second game of the 2000 ALDS, which I attended, in which, for obvious reasons, I was more nervous than the first. There was the fourth game of the 1983 ALCS.

By comparison, the games this weekend didn't mean anything.

OldRomanPizza
06-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I can't really rank particular games.

I was more nervous for Game 3 of the World Series than I was for Games 1 and 2. We were up two games but going on the road and there was enough time for the series to turn around. I only became nervous about winning it once we had taken the lead in the series. Once we had won game 3, I knew the Series was won. Game 4 was a party all 9 innings!

I must mention, however, that Sunday afternoon doubleheader against Texas in 1993. I was 11, the Sox had a magic number of three over the Rangers. We had tickets for the Sunday game, while the Saturday game was rained out. This led to the scenario of a doubleheader sweep over Texas giving us the division title. I wanted more than anything to see a division clinching win in person. The Sox won game 1 of the doubleheader, and everyone was primed for a party. Unfortunately, Texas narrowly led for most of game 2 and held on for the win. The Sox had the following Monday off, and clinched the division title Tuesday against Seattle, helped along by Bo Jackson's infamous towering home run early in the game.

I've still never seen a Sox clinching performance in person, and the Sox haven't gotten to clinch anything at home since that season.

jabrch
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Game 2 of the ALCS - after losing game 1, I was nearly crapping myself.

Orta 4-6-3
06-24-2008, 12:59 PM
I think it was probably game one against Boston. Before that game started I was nervous and wanted to make sure we avoided a repeat of 2000.

Me too. I even had my oldest friend (since 4th grade in 1969, when we became friends because we were among the few Sox fans in a sea of Cub fans) say when he met me at the park that he never saw me look more worried than on that day.

I was still pretty antsy through the Boston series and until Garland won Game 3 of the ALCS. After that, while it never completely went away, the nervousness gradually and steadily faded.

Uncle_Patrick
06-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I think it was probably before Game 1 of the ALDS and Game 2 of the ALCS. With the first game against Boston, I think it was just general post-season jitters, fearing that the Sox were gonna get knocked out in 3 like 2000. When the Sox lost Game 1 of the ALCS, I was afraid there was no more gas in the tank for the Sox, anfd frankly, it looked like that a lot throughout Game 2, but we know how that turned out. After that, I knew the Sox were going to take it all.

Oh, and I'm nervous before every Cubs/Sox game because when the Sox lose it's the worst thing in the world that could happen.:rolleyes:

asindc
06-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Same game, but I wasn't nervous about Boston's history, I was nervous about ours. After all, we had not even been in a position to close out a series since 1917.

Foulke You
06-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree. And wasn't it nice for Paulee to make it so easy for us the next 2 games. Thank goodness because with the supposed September "choke" and the Red Sox series I don't think I could've taken anymore. September was basically a whole month of nervousness. At least October was nervous, happy, nervous, happy.

My favorite moment of the postseason. The reason I like the back of the WS memorial better than the front. Hocus Pocus!
http://www.mlb.com/images/2005/10/07/KEJM6EEK.jpg
"Hocus Pocus says El Duque!!"

Definitely one of the best moments in the '05 run. The best inning of relief pitching I've ever seen in my life. I also remember I watched the game at a bar and there were several Cubs fans mouthing off at the bar and rooting for the Red Sox (wearing their full Cubs gear). They got even louder and more annoying as the Red Sox loaded the bases with the game tied but as soon as El Duque came in and did his thing. You could hear a pin drop over on their side of the bar and then they asked for their check and left before the end of the game. Even THEY knew it was over after that inning. :D:

rdwj
06-24-2008, 08:33 PM

Me too. Game 2 with the Angels was a close 2nd, but at least we were in the playoffs at that point. Blowing the division and not making the playoffs would have been an epic meltdown. Losing in the playoffs sucks a little less.