PDA

View Full Version : "Go Cubs Go" song

pudge
06-22-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm not in town, so watching this cross-town debacle was my first exposure to the entire crowd singing that seriously lame song after a win - how long has that been going on for?

SoxGirl4Life
06-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm not in town, so watching this cross-town debacle was my first exposure to the entire crowd singing that seriously lame song after a win - how long has that been going on for?

Too long. And once was too long.

whitesoxwin
06-22-2008, 11:40 PM

Even the Sox network lets us hear that damn song....give me a break!!

Cuck the Fubs
06-22-2008, 11:46 PM
1984.........the wait goes on :redneck

FourStarsTwoBars
06-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I think this song is used to discourage winning, unfortunately it's not as effective as previously thought.

Jerko
06-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I hate the Cubs too but the stupid song doesn't bother me. I've heard Go Go White Sox enough times while the Sox were getting spanked to not care what songs other teams sing.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
1984.........the wait goes on :redneck
Actually for a long time they used to play that "Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight!" after Cubs wins for a long time, from at least '98 (when my brother dragged me to a couple of Cubs games) to '04 when I worked there as an usher. The "Go Cubs Go" thing was really rehashed last year and seemed to me to be a copy of us rehasing the "Go Go White Sox" song in '05.

CubKilla
06-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Even the Sox network lets us hear that damn song....give me a break!!

They should let Sox fans hear it. If Sox fans don't get on the Sox quick, the Sox might just lose a comfy all-time winning streak against the Cubs since IL started.

I know, I know..... lets win games in our division first. By the way, I own a bridge in NY I wanna sell.....

whitesoxwin
06-23-2008, 12:09 AM
I hate the Cubs too but the stupid song doesn't bother me. I've heard Go Go White Sox enough times while the Sox were getting spanked to not care what songs other teams sing.

Now, this I have to a agree with...
The other night, the "other team" was pulling out their starter and I know Nancy's not there on night games, but they have the music on tape...Na-Na-Na-Na..but they played "Rock me" from Queen.
That is wrong...
And why the hell Sox Security doesn't start yanking out the idiots who throw back opposing home run balls...have some balls!!
Instead of just posting what will happen to you if you run on the field..post you will get kicked out for throwing back balls...enforce the rule, if not tradition!
Enough rambling for tonight!

thomas35forever
06-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Now, this I have to a agree with...
The other night, the "other team" was pulling out their starter and I know Nancy's not there on night games, but they have the music on tape...Na-Na-Na-Na..but they played "Rock me" from Queen.
That is wrong...
And why the hell Sox Security doesn't start yanking out the idiots who throw back opposing home run balls...have some balls!!
Instead of just posting what will happen to you if you run on the field..post you will get kicked out for throwing back balls...enforce the rule, if not tradition!
Enough rambling for tonight!
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102041&highlight=ejected

scarsofthumper
06-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I hate that song more than Old Style.

WhiteSoxRich
06-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I was at the game Saturday, and having to listen to that ridiculous song was as bad as watching the Sox get pounded

chisoxmike
06-23-2008, 03:40 PM
The song drives me insane. But I'm sure Cubs fans hate the "Go Go White Sox" song. So whatever. We both have our lame fight songs.

jdm2662
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
If you don't like the song, change the channel.

And to note, I have a friend who's a huge Cubs fan. He hates the song more than you guys.

Foulke You
06-23-2008, 03:58 PM
The song drives me insane. But I'm sure Cubs fans hate the "Go Go White Sox" song. So whatever. We both have our lame fight songs.
"Go Go White Sox" is a sports team fight song from the 50s. Lots of teams have songs like that including the Bears, college teams, high schools, etc. The Cubs have a lame Steve Goodman pop song from the 70s. I think they are vastly different.

scarsofthumper
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
"Go Go White Sox" is a sports team fight song from the 50s. Lots of teams have songs like that including the Bears, college teams, high schools, etc. The Cubs have a lame Steve Goodman pop song from the 70s. I think they are vastly different.Exactly. Our song has some fight to it, theirs sounds like you should be listening to it at the stage at Taste of Roselle or something like that.

bigsoxfan420
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Steve Goodman (he wrote that little ditty) is one of the most under-rated and influential folk singer of the 1970's. Unfortunately he was a Cubs fan.

whitesox901
06-23-2008, 09:10 PM
i like our lame fight songer better than their ultra-lame one

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I give it two thumbs down.

I also happen to know a couple of Cubs fans that don't like it. I'd use the exact word they used to describe it but I don't want to get banned. :tongue:

OldRomanPizza
06-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Its a fitting song for them. A rootless, pop song for a team with a large rootless following.

Since I was stupid enough to go to Wrigleyville Friday, I had to be in a bar full of Cub fans who didn't watch the game break out into that song after the walkoff homer. Actually, they didnt sing the song either...it was just piped in.

It did serve its purpose though. If I can take a loss in those surroundings, I can pretty much take a loss anywhere.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Modifying those lyrics isn't very hard to do, ya know.

Huisj
06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Steve Goodman (he wrote that little ditty) is one of the most under-rated and influential folk singer of the 1970's. Unfortunately he was a Cubs fan.

A true statement. Very talented guy, and his life story of his longtime illness battle is quite interesting too. I guess it goes to show that there are very good people who happen to be Cub fans--unfortunately, when he mixed the Cub fan part of himself with the songwriter part, it didn't turn out so well.

However, A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request is actually a fairly entertaining piece that even Sox fans can appreciate some I think.

PatK
06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
You'd think after all these years, the fans would know the lyrics to the song instead of the chorus.

Then again, you'd expect them to know who the players are as well.

soxpride724
06-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Does any other MLB team bust out in a similar or worse song when they win? When I hear that nails on a chalk board excuse for a song, I can't help but think of busting that guys guitar like they did in Animal House.

jabrch
06-24-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't mind that song...I just don't like it when we are playing against them. It is kinda soft and cuddly. Fits their style.

Everything Cubs is not necesarily bad.