PDA

View Full Version : Glover to starting rotation, Kip to bullpen?

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 07:20 AM
This from the Chicago Sun Times:
''It is tough because you want to put your best five or six pitchers out there to try to get you in a position to make a stretch run,'' manager Jerry Manuel said. ''To keep plugging holes out there makes that more difficult.''

The good news for the Sox is they always seem to have another young pitcher waiting. Manuel said he is considering right-handed reliever Gary Glover as a starter.

Glover was used as a spot starter last Thursday when James Baldwin was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Glover, 24, allowed one run and two hits in 2-1/3 innings of the Sox' 5-4 victory over the Cleveland Indians.

Since being recalled from Class AAA Charlotte on June 16, Glover is 1-0 with a 2.10 ERA in 21 outings.

''He might have the best arm here,'' Manuel said of Glover. ''He is a guy, who at some point if it doesn't hurt us in the bullpen, we will have to give him a shot. He has shown some explosiveness with his fastball.''

That could mean Wells, 24, might return to the bullpen to work out his problems.

''I don't know where I stand,'' Wells said.

Neither does Manuel.

''I'll have to check the matchups,'' Manuel said. ''If I do put him in the pen, it won't be a negative thing because we are putting a good arm in the pen.''

Iguana775
08-03-2001, 08:19 AM
i hope so. kipper seems to have some problems lately.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 08:21 AM
i hope so. kipper seems to have some problems lately.

Some of the other papers here have been saying that it seems as if Kip is falling back in to the habit of working slow and not going right at the hitters.

Iguana775
08-03-2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Some of the other papers here have been saying that it seems as if Kip is falling back in to the habit of working slow and not going right at the hitters.

that has been what i've been saying. if you read a post of mine from yesterday, i stated that he was working too damn slow.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 11:33 AM
that has been what i've been saying. if you read a post of mine from yesterday, i stated that he was working too damn slow.

Well that may be true, but you can work slow and still attack the hitters. He doesn't seem to be doing that right now.