PDA

View Full Version : I know it's still 2008 but....

SoxNation05
06-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes I am aware it is June of 2008 and all posters who have comments asking me about our first place team so please do not make meaningless comments like it's June 21st or we are currently in first place.

The 2009 Free Agency All Star Team.
Catchers:
Jason Varitek: The Red Sox captain is 110 percent staying in Boston.
Red Sox: 2 years 19 million
Pudge Rodriguez: The 13 time gold glove winner can still give you a great game behind the plate but is less attractive and his career could be coming to an end sooner or later because of his declining hitting stats.
Tigers: 1 year 9million
First Baseman:
Mark Teixera: Probably the most attractive free agent this year. There is no doubt he can hit. I think he will strike it big in Boston.
Red Sox: 6 years 105 million
Jason Giambi: I can't see anyone who would want to deal with his contract demands besides his current team, the Yankees.
Yankees: 3 years 47 million
2nd Baseman:
Orlando Hudson: The sure hitting, great fielding second baseman should break bank this year with the D-Backs.
Diamondbacks 3 years 21 million
Mark Ellis: The White Sox will probably let Orlando Cabrera go to free agency and have Alexei Rameriz slip over to his natural position at shortstop. Mark Ellis would be a good fit because of his great fielding and they could have Danny Richar, a second baseman who the organization values to be a great player in the future still get time in.
3 years 16 million
3rd Baseman:
Hank Blalock: After having a huge 2003 Hank followed up with an even bigger 2004 with 32 home runs and 110 ribbies. Since then Hank has cooled off severely and his last two years have been plagued with injuries. I think Blalock would be a great complement after Carlos Lee and Lance Berkman.
Astros: 4 years 38 million
Joe Crede: I see the White Sox having trouble losing Joe Crede. Josh Fields cannot stay healthy and until he does I see the White Sox signing Crede to a two year deal and possibly trading after his first season. If not the Sox the Cardinals are another possible canidate.
White Sox: 3 years 25 million
Shortstop:
Rafael Furcal: He has been such a force while in the lineup this season but hasn't always been in the lineup. He'll stick in Dodgertown.
Dodgers: 3 years 45 million
Orlando Cabrera: The White Sox weren't exactly impresssed when he called up the scorers box to complain about an error they charged him with. So then he does it again? He is sort of in a dog house in Chicago and they are more than ready to make Alexei Rameriz their future shortstop.
3 years 24 million
Left Field:
Adam Dunn: He is not exactly a GM's dream Left Fielder but he can hit the longball. The home run package also comes with a lot of strike outs. I see it being a long time til he signs with a team but in the end he goes with the
Yankees: 3 years 48 million
Pat Burrell: The Phillies are more than happy to get his huge contract off their hands. But so far in the 2008 season he has been great and has been producing great in the 5 hole in Philli. The Padres are in need of power to produce in their pitcher heavy ballpark.
Padres: 3 years 47 million
Center field:
Rocco Baldelli: Baldelli is a player who cannot stay on the field but if he had the chance to play a whole season he could be great. I don't think anyone would want to give him a long commitment so he will probably be signed to a one year contract. I see the Braves picking him up and possibly moving him to right because they have Josh Anderson waiting in the shadows.
Braves:1 year 7 million
Right field:
Bobby Abreau: Bobby is going to get big money this winter without moving far. Omar Minaya has said "I need a player who can do a little bit of everything." Abreau is a good fit for the Mets.
Mets: 3 years 54 million
Milton Bradley: Milton is hitting the hell out of the ball and I think the Rangers are the only team that could handle this pyscho.
Rangers: 2 year 24 million
Starting Pitchers:
C.C. Sabathia: The top starting pitcher this offseason and the Indians cannot afford him. The Yankees have the money and need the pitching.
Yankees: 5 years 102 million
Ben Sheets: An ace when healthy. A pain in the neck when not. The Phillies would love to complement Cole Hamels with him.
Phillies: 4 years 64 million
A.J. Burnett: He wants to be a Cub the Cubs want him to be a Cub. He wants money the Cubs got money.
Cubs:4 years 58 million
Oliver Perez: Probably going to get overpaid and the Mets are all ready talking extension and aren't looking to loose him when they are probably going to lose Pedro.
Mets: 4 years 56 million
Pedro Martinez: Often injured but is another one who can make a great impact. I see him making another stop with the Red Sox.
Red Sox 1 year 11 million
Jon Garland: Has had a bumpy start but is a reliable horse. I think he is a good fit with the Yanks because they have learned the hard way that pitching wins championships. CC, Garland, Wang, Joba and Mussina would look very strong.
Yankees 4 years 46 million
Middle Reliever
Juan Rincon: Yanks need a replacement for Joba and his about the best available. Rincon and Kyle Farnsworth will be decent for a bridge to Rivera.
Yankees 4 years 15 million
Closer
Fransisco Rodriguez: I don't see him going anywhere but he was mad when he recieved 10 millions dollars in arbitration.
Angels 4 years 60 million

UofCSoxFan
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I think the OC calling the press box was blown way out of proportion. They may not resign him but that won't be the reason.

I also have a hard time seeing anyone give Rocco Baldelli a 7 mil deal. The best he could hope for is a deal close to the league minimum with some good incentives.

Frater Perdurabo
06-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I want Abreu and Crede on the Sox, with Thome gone. Abreu would be the regular LF but also get time at DH and a game off every week. He'd be a heck of a #2 hitter behind Alexei.

ma-gaga
06-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Middle Reliever
Juan Rincon: Yanks need a replacement for Joba and his about the best available. He will be a decent bridge with Kyle Farnsworth for a bridge to Rivera.
Yankees 4 years 15 million

The rest of your analysis looks solid. But the Twins just DFA'd Rincon. He'll be available once he clears waivers to any team. Even the Yankees won't sign him to that kind of deal.

btrain929
06-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I want Abreu and Crede on the Sox, with Thome gone. Abreu would be the regular LF but also get time at DH and a game off every week. He'd be a heck of a #2 hitter behind Alexei.

I don't see Alexei having the OBP to be in the leadoff hole, now or down the road. Plus, this year he has came through a heck of a lot when there are runners in scoring position. I think he can be a #6 hitter or so, breaking up the slow middle of the order hitters and getting a lot of RBI. Plus, he still seems timid on the basepaths (not stealing). I don't know if that's Ozzie giving him the red light or what, but that's just what I think.

SoxNation05
06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
I think he would be the 3 hitter with Quentin and Dye following. Rameriez could bat 2 and may we pick up a leadoff hitter in a trade.

gr8mexico
06-25-2008, 12:09 AM
The Sox best bet would to sign Orlando Hudson and have him s the leadoff hitter. The Sox wont be able to find a leadoff hitter and he fits the bill even if the Sox drafted Beckham.

fusillirob1983
06-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Joe Crede: I see the White Sox having trouble losing Joe Crede. Josh Fields cannot stay healthy and until he does I see the White Sox signing Crede to a two year deal and possibly trading after his first season. If not the Sox the Cardinals are another possible canidate.
White Sox: 3 years 25 million

I think Crede will cost more than 3 years 25 million.

russ99
06-25-2008, 08:28 AM

And I doubt the Sox will be in the mix. Sure, they'll do their usual face saving motions like with Magglio and Frank, but I expect Boras to price them out of the picture pretty quick.

The only scenario I see that Joe might stay is that if he were injured and missed substantial time. Then Boras might do a 1 year deal like Andruw to get him on the field and stat-up for the following FA market. But that would be bad for both the Sox and Joe.

cws05champ
06-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Absolutely, I was thinking along the lines of $12M/year, 4 years for Crede. Also, I can't see Abreu getting $18M/year at his age. He looks like more of a $12-14M guy for 2-3 years. And OC will get more than 8 mil/year just because he still plays SS at a high level. If 8 is all it takes to get OC, I think he stays with the Sox.

CHIsoxNation
06-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Sounds like Sheets is pretty dead set on testing the market this year, even if the Brewers come to him with an offer sometime soon.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=765740

SoxNation05
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Absolutely, I was thinking along the lines of $12M/year, 4 years for Crede. Also, I can't see Abreu getting $18M/year at his age. He looks like more of a $12-14M guy for 2-3 years. And OC will get more than 8 mil/year just because he still plays SS at a high level. If 8 is all it takes to get OC, I think he stays with the Sox.
He is the best position player than is not named Mark Teixera. We are dealing with a crazy market.

Frontman
06-25-2008, 10:28 PM
OC's days are numbered not because of his behavior; the fact that they have Alexei Rameriez already in the majors with the cheaper option of keeping Uribe one more year.

Or they could fast-track Gordon Beckham to the majors by late next season.

palehozenychicty
06-26-2008, 01:44 PM
OC's days are numbered not because of his behavior; the fact that they have Alexei Rameriez already in the majors with the cheaper option of keeping Uribe one more year.

Or they could fast-track Gordon Beckham to the majors by late next season.

I hope that does not happen. I'd rather see Getz or Richar get a shot before Uribe again. He doesn't deserve to be a starter on this team anymore.

gobears1987
06-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Furthermore, I don't think that KW will even talk to Bora$$.