PDA

View Full Version : Canseco Time?

pudge
05-07-2002, 12:53 AM
Put Canseco in LF and sit Carlos Lee and his pathetic f'ing "I Can't Throw To Home On a Shallow Pop Fly" arm and his overrated bat. I'm sick of his sorry butt. I kicked him off my fantasy team and the Sox need to do the same. Canseco can throw, he can even run, and he'll add a whole different dimension to the lineup. Did he not product fairly well last season? If it doesn't work, what have you lost?

Tonight was disgraceful. You don't lose that kind of game to Texas if you think you're going to the play-offs.

Shows how we could use Glover in the pen - Rocky should be starting and Gary should be the bridge to Foulke. Osune can pitch middle as Rocky did tonight.

Any thoughts?

CLR01
05-07-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Put Canseco in LF and sit Carlos Lee and his pathetic f'ing "I Can't Throw To Home On a Shallow Pop Fly" arm and his overrated bat. I'm sick of his sorry butt. I kicked him off my fantasy team and the Sox need to do the same. Canseco can throw, he can even run, and he'll add a whole different dimension to the lineup. Did he not product fairly well last season? If it doesn't work, what have you lost?

Tonight was disgraceful. You don't lose that kind of game to Texas if you think you're going to the play-offs.

Shows how we could use Glover in the pen - Rocky should be starting and Gary should be the bridge to Foulke. Osune can pitch middle as Rocky did tonight.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah lets put Jose out there in left field that will fix everything.

RedPinStripes
05-07-2002, 01:18 AM
Jose as a back up dh, but do you want to send down the only lefty power bat off the bench?

I don't want to see him in LF. That Lee throw was god aweful i just knew they would run on him and succeed.

Kilroy
05-07-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I don't want to see him in LF. That Lee throw was god aweful i just knew they would run on him and succeed.

Yeah, that was a bad one. But Lee makes good ones too. Like that throw from the wall on Sunday that clearly nailed Randy Velarde even tho he was called safe.

The game last night was lost when Osuna got threw strike 3 that was called ball 3 to Young in the 8th. A guy that was 0-fer the night gets an RBI single, and then in bottom 9, a guy who hadn't had an RBI in over 3 weeks brings home the winning run. It just wasn't the Sox night.

KruseControl04
05-07-2002, 08:19 AM
It will never be Canseco time. Sure he can hit, but he can't do anything else. I remember in one issue of Sports Illustrated last year, the week's sign of the apocolypse was that Canseco said that he was ready to play more in the field. The fact is, Canseco can't field, and now that Thomas is back we don't need another DH.

Cheryl
05-07-2002, 10:08 AM

Any thoughts?

Yeah. Release Canseco. Let him go pump gas or work in a quickie mart somewhere.

MattSharp
05-07-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
It will never be Canseco time.

Thats all that needs to be said. No way would I want him in left over CLee or Rowand. The only thing anyone needs to think about is that home run that went off his head.....

harwar
05-07-2002, 11:19 AM
I know K.W. said he was rewarding Canseco by giving him a contract,but i think that hes'hoping Jose will hit a few dingers down there and then maybe he can sucker some desperate club into giving up a decent player for him.As for C.Lee,he hasn't even started to hit yet,and his defense has been great.Hes' never had a great arm,but very few outfielders do these days.

voodoochile
05-07-2002, 11:46 AM
Don't know why JM didn't use Rowand in the ninth. When he PH Lee, the Sox were leading by a run, and the odds on seeing Carlos bat again were minimal seeing as they only had 1.5 more innings to play. Maybe it was because with Royce out after tooth surgery, Rowand was the only guy left on the bench who could play an OF position and he was worried about extra innings, but still, you play to win and worry about the rest later.

RedPinStripes
05-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Don't know why JM didn't use Rowand in the ninth. When he PH Lee, the Sox were leading by a run, and the odds on seeing Carlos bat again were minimal seeing as they only had 1.5 more innings to play. Maybe it was because with Royce out after tooth surgery, Rowand was the only guy left on the bench who could play an OF position and he was worried about extra innings, but still, you play to win and worry about the rest later.

Just a sign that Manuel is WS ready. More great decisions.

pudge
05-07-2002, 12:22 PM
Canseco gets a bad rap, especially because the ball bounced on his head. I think he'd be pretty focused out there. He's desperate to prove himself. Heck, he played center in his little semi-pro days. Judging by the comments on this board, it would be suicide if it backfired, so you've all managed to convince me otherwise. I'm not at all sold on Carlos, though. Reminds me of Lyle Mouton.

MattSharp
05-07-2002, 12:40 PM
Reminds me of Lyle Mouton.

Good comparison.

I would just as assume seeing Rowand playing 2-3 out of 5 games. Lee's bat isn't all that needed and he isn't hitting that well anyway. Konerko and Manos knock home all the runs before he gets up anyway. I think Rowand should get a shot.....

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by harwar
Hes' never had a great arm,but very few outfielders do these days.

Has anybody ever thought of how awesome Magglio's defense in left field could be. I think he is fine in right but maybe he would be our best option in left field.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
Has anybody ever thought of how awesome Magglio's defense in left field could be. I think he is fine in right but maybe he would be our best option in left field.

Maggs is okay in right. He's head and shoulders better than the designated hitter posing as a rightfielder for the other team in town.

:shammy
"My all-star game credentials remain intact!"

Once Borchard comes up, his superior arm makes him the logical choice for right field. Maggs will make an above-average left fielder.

FarmerAndy
05-08-2002, 11:55 AM
Canseco is in triple-A right now, so it can't hurt the Sox to let him play left field for the Knights. Why not see if he can do it? Play him out there for 10-15 games and see if he can do it. If he does a good job, then we know that he can be an option in left if Lee continues to struggle.

Instead of just saying that he can't play out there, we should check him out. That's what you do in the minor leagues, you see what people can do. I'd like to see if it's possible that Canseco could maybe be an option.

Besides, when it comes time to get a veteran starter to help this team, I think both Lee and Rowand are trade bait.

C'mon, it isn't gonna hurt to take a look at him in left field for the Knights. In fact, exploring our options down there is the smart thing to do.