PDA

View Full Version : How to handle the casual "hardcore" fan?

ebit
06-21-2008, 04:46 AM
A bit of a vent post but I'd be curious to hear some input on how others have tackled the issue.

I've got a friend with a combative personality that casually follows the Sox, yet is adamant in his assertions on the team. One example is the usage of the bullpen. Today, for example, he didn't know who Dotel was, let alone Linebrink, and after the game was yelling about how Jenks should have been put in the game. I tried explaining that Linebrink has been good for us and while Dotel has some nerve issues he's been an overall solid addition, but he wouldn't hear any of it.

He's practically the guy on the ESPN "don't question my fanhood" commercial the way every conversation point becomes the last stand at the Alamo. Surely I can't be the only one with this experience?

eastchicagosoxfan
06-21-2008, 05:56 AM
When you are around this friend, drink tequila. You too will then become combative and adamant over things you otherwise know nothing about. If nothing else, the tequila experience will allow you to see things through your friend's eyes.

If tequila isn't the answer, just ignore him.

KingXerxes
06-21-2008, 07:28 AM
A bit of a vent post but I'd be curious to hear some input on how others have tackled the issue.

I've got a friend with a combative personality that casually follows the Sox, yet is adamant in his assertions on the team. One example is the usage of the bullpen. Today, for example, he didn't know who Dotel was, let alone Linebrink, and after the game was yelling about how Jenks should have been put in the game. I tried explaining that Linebrink has been good for us and while Dotel has some nerve issues he's been an overall solid addition, but he wouldn't hear any of it.

He's practically the guy on the ESPN "don't question my fanhood" commercial the way every conversation point becomes the last stand at the Alamo. Surely I can't be the only one with this experience?

Start having som fun with it.

Agree with him on every point he's trying to make, and then start adding incredibly error filled addendums to what he's saying. Example - If he's moaning about Linnebrink, just nod your head and say, "Up until last year, this guy was making his living on the Professional Bowlers Tour. Ozzie Guillen happened to be bowling at the Peterson when he saw Linnebrink throwing the ball so hard down the lane that he asked him to play for the White Sox." Then start talking about how there is very little difference in throwing a hook in bowling and a curve ball in baseball.

You've got a blank canvas, make the most of it.

PatK
06-21-2008, 07:37 AM

Agree with him on every point he's trying to make, and then start adding incredibly error filled addendums to what he's saying. Example - If he's moaning about Linnebrink, just nod your head and say, "Up until last year, this guy was making his living on the Professional Bowlers Tour. Ozzie Guillen happened to be bowling at the Peterson when he saw Linnebrink throwing the ball so hard down the lane that he asked him to play for the White Sox." Then start talking about how there is very little difference in throwing a hook in bowling and a curve ball in baseball.

:bandance:

Awesome

tick53
06-21-2008, 07:43 AM

I like that idea! :cool: Make the guy look like a darn fool. You'll receive the cheapest entertainment possible. Funny example too King.

hose
06-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Tell him Ozzie was saving Bobby Thigpen in case it the game went to extra innings.:smile:

KenBerryGrab
06-21-2008, 08:45 AM
You could pull the 10-year-old's favorite trick: Ditch him!

DumpJerry
06-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Tell him you've been dating his sister.

Cuck the Fubs
06-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Duct tape is your friend :wink:

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Wow! a reference to the Peterson. I'm impressed!

ArkanSox
06-21-2008, 10:49 AM
After a tough Sox loss, direct him to the post-game thread. :smile:

ondafarm
06-21-2008, 11:15 AM
How to handle him?

Tasers work well. Pepper spray is okay.

gregoriop
06-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't see anything wrong with questioning his "fanhood" if he has his head up his rear end. How else is he going to know that he's full of it?

scarsofthumper
06-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Shouldn't he be wearing the red and blue?

Sox
06-21-2008, 03:33 PM

Sounds like it to me.........

ebit
06-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Some solid suggestions here. Unfortunately it might be a bit late for the bowling angle, it's probably still worth a shot though. :D:

Optipessimism
06-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Tell him to shut up.

Scottzilla
06-22-2008, 11:43 PM

I dunno that might land you a job as a suntimes columnist!

gamblinkenny
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
i had a friend like that once, so one day i decided to dress up like a clown and ask him to help me with some construction work in my basement...

Tekijawa
06-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Imagine how Rongey must feel, you only have one of these friends... he has a couple hours of these discussions a day!

Urban Legend
06-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Hmmm....I'm thinking that the age of many of these Sox 'fans' is, say, nineteen? Nothing wrong with being nineteen (I was once), but the youngsters don't seem to appreciate the rhythm, the length of the season, that there will be ups and downs (remember '05 when the lead went from 15 1/2 to 1 1/2 games?). I know when I was younger I thought the whole answer was that they just had to try harder.

Even having watched for years, there's so much about the game that the average, or even the above average fan doesn't know. You can watch, read the articles, listen to Ozzie, Kenny, and Don Cooper, and still not know reasons for what goes on. It's fun to conjecture about Ozzie's moves, or what Walk is trying to get the hitters to do. And we all have our pet peeves, like why does it have to be automatic to bunt or not bunt guys over... but it's very difficult to 'know the game,' the inside game of baseball....but since we all played blooper ball once in the back yard, we're all experts.

You're right about Chris Rongey...seems the guys that know the least call him most often to vent....

Some quotes come to mind that I googled:Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. -- Bible, 'Proverbs' 17:28.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt . -- George Eliot

Better to be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain)

Its better to be thought a fool rather than to speak up and remove all doubt. - Lincoln

IlliniOne82
06-23-2008, 02:34 PM

After attending all 3 games at Wrigley this weekend I am convinced that there is a very large contingent there that really have no idea what is going on. Is it stereotyping if it's based on fact?