PDA

View Full Version : Rule question

34rancher
06-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Not that it would have made any difference, but what is the official rule on the home plate umpire asking for an appeal on his own (a la the ninth on AJ)? I mean if you want to call a strike, call it.

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Not that it would have made any difference, but what is the official rule on the home plate umpire asking for an appeal on his own (a la the ninth on AJ)? I mean if you want to call a strike, call it.

The catcher asked for the appeal in the ninth. Umpires cannot do so.

34rancher
06-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Catcher never did. Check the replays. Again, it would not have made a difference. I just have never seen an umpire unprovoked ask for an appeal.

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Catcher never did. Check the replays. Again, it would not have made a difference. I just have never seen an umpire unprovoked ask for an appeal.

I thought for sure I saw the catcher ask for the appeal there. Have you already watched the replay? Also, just because the catcher doesn't gesture doesn't mean he didn't verbally ask which the replay wouldn't show.

34rancher
06-20-2008, 05:54 PM
I thought for sure I saw the catcher ask for the appeal there. Have you already watched the replay? Also, just because the catcher doesn't gesture doesn't mean he didn't verbally ask which the replay wouldn't show.

I agree about the verbal, only the three of them would ever know that, but the catcher never signaled. He was holding the ball there looking for a strike 3 call on the corner (per replay). Again, it is not the reason the sox lost, but I was pretty shocked to see the umpire appeal himself. I was more surprised as I had never seen that before.

UofCSoxFan
06-20-2008, 08:05 PM

Actually the opposite is true. If the catcher askes for an appeal to the third base ump, he won't make a call until the home ump asks for an appeal. If the home ump thinks he saw it fine, no appeal will be made.

For what it's worth I was at the game and to me it looked like AJ went.

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Actually the opposite is true. If the catcher askes for an appeal to the third base ump, he won't make a call until the home ump asks for an appeal. If the home ump thinks he saw it fine, no appeal will be made.

Right... Ump cannot initiate a request for an appeal. That has to come from the catcher. Then the ump decides whether to grant the request. Most of the time they do.

KingXerxes
06-20-2008, 11:00 PM

On the replay it looked like the bat crossed home plate.

oeo
06-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Right... Ump cannot initiate a request for an appeal. That has to come from the catcher. Then the ump decides whether to grant the request. Most of the time they do.

If the umpire initiates it, then it's not an appeal at all...he's just asking for help. Which is perfectly fine, and more umpires should do it.

And it doesn't matter whether he went around or not, it should have been a called strike three. AJ needs to fight that off.