PDA

View Full Version : Switch pitcher, against switch hitter?

High Mileage
06-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Pretty interesting and funny video here...
http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=073860f8-cdc3-4778-92cb-ad2d20ac545d

Here's more on the pitcher...
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Pat%20Venditte&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519381

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Venditte

ondafarm
06-20-2008, 05:33 PM
I hit in high school against a guy like this. Finally I figured out that he was really a lefty who could also throw righty so I decided to bat right handed and force him to his bad side and bat from my natural side anyways. Think I singled twice against him in four trips.

SoxNation05
06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Amazing, does anyone know how hard he throws lefty.

doublem23
06-20-2008, 11:11 PM
For the record, I always thought the rule was if you were an ambidextrous pitcher, you had to "call your arm" before your outing started and had to stick to that one for the outing; you couldn't change in the middle of an inning or on a hitter-by-hitter basis.

Maybe that's just NCAA rules... I only mention it because a few years back Creighton U. had an ambidextrous pitcher and I remember that being an argument around the Valley for a little bit.

thomas35forever
06-21-2008, 12:22 AM
I saw this on the news. I would be SO pissed if I was a switch hitter and had to face this pitcher.

goofymsfan
06-21-2008, 02:16 AM
For the record, I always thought the rule was if you were an ambidextrous pitcher, you had to "call your arm" before your outing started and had to stick to that one for the outing; you couldn't change in the middle of an inning or on a hitter-by-hitter basis.

Maybe that's just NCAA rules... I only mention it because a few years back Creighton U. had an ambidextrous pitcher and I remember that being an argument around the Valley for a little bit.

The way the Rainiers announcer (M's AAA affiliate) said it was decided was that the batter first had to pick which side of the plate he wanted to hit from and then the pitcher chose which way he wanted to pitch. Apparently, that is the way the rule is written. Not sure though.

ebit
06-21-2008, 03:03 AM
According to this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U2xkHOTvvw) NCAA rules state the pitcher has to declare first. I don't know what MLB's stance on it is though.

High Mileage
06-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Creighton U. had an ambidextrous pitcher and I remember that being an argument around the Valley for a little bit.

This guy played for Creighton... :redneck

TommyJohn
06-21-2008, 09:08 AM

I think it is MLB's rule that the pitcher has to "call his arm." The only pitcher
I recall from baseball history that ever "switch pitched" was a 19th century
hurler named Tony Mullane.

JohnnyInnsbrook
06-21-2008, 09:34 AM
My Great Grandfather was like this.... The pirates tried to sign him, my family still has the contract.... Rumor had it that he would pitch 2 games of a double header, one with the right hand, and one with the left hand.

LongLiveFisk
06-21-2008, 09:40 AM
That is so cool...I would LOVE to be ambidextrous.

nug0hs
06-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Yeah, this is the same guy from C.U. He was drafted as a junior by the Yankees and decided to go back for his senior year, then was re-drafted by the Yanks again, so here he is on Staten Island

Parrothead
06-21-2008, 01:24 PM
I was wondering what ever happened to that kid. How cool would it be to be able to pitch well with both arms. I will keep tract of this guy.

kwkonsl
06-21-2008, 11:47 PM

This is the same pitcher that pitched at Creighton. In the NCAA he can switch between at bats. When I played against him my teammate who was a switch hitter had to pick a side to hit from first and then Vindette would step on the rubber and choose the arm he wanted to throw with. This way he always threw right handed to rightys and left handed to leftys. He throws much harder from the right side than the left. Tops out high 80's low 90's with a big hook that you could see in the video. Lefty he throws much slower and has more of a swooping slider that he threw alot. he threw that alot because his fastball tops at around 84 which is very hittable in the Valley. But his slider got a lot of people to chase it

Nellie_Fox
06-22-2008, 02:18 AM
I think it's pretty clear. The rule says either one can only change sides once.

The batter is approaching the plate and sees which hand the pitcher doesn't have in his glove, so he goes to the appropriate batter's box. The pitcher changes hands (his one allowed switch) so the batter changes batter's boxes (his one allowed switch.)

So, since they've now each made their one allowed switch, it's over. Batter wins.

the gooch
06-27-2008, 02:04 AM
With two outs in the ninth of a 5-run game, he is not bunting the runner over. If the glove is what determines his throwing hand, why bother with a glove at all?

Why would it matter where his glove is? Abbott pitched with the glove resting on his stub and then switched his glove over.

Could he stand on the rubber facing 2nd base and then decide which way to turn to pitch the ball? This is so much cooler than a knuckleballer.

I do this with bowling, and though that is not nearly as impressive, I do get my money's worth on those all-you-can-bowl nights.

Soxfanspcu11
06-27-2008, 04:07 AM
I've seen this story ALL OVER the news! It is EVERYWHERE!! It's really amazing to Me how news networks get a particular story and just go CRAZY with it!! It spreads like the plague.

Anyway, I found/find this particular scenario to be incredibly interesting, quite unique, and cool as hell!

Watching the video clip was beyond hilarious. Seeing both players go back and forth and back and forth was quite entertaining. I'm happy for everyone involved that both players were finally able to agree on which side they were going to play at.

What surprises Me the most about this is the fact that there really actually exists a human being who can throw well with BOTH arms!!!!!:scratch::o::?:

I'm certainly not some dumbass, but this one is completely OVER MY HEAD!!!

I'm sure that most people on this board have tried to throw with their "off" arm. At least at one point or another. And if you have, then you know just how hard it is!!! Not only is it close to impossible to do, but you look like a TOTAL JACKASS when you try to do it!!

I'm right handed and I can gun it pretty darn well with My right arm. However, when I switch to lefty, it is either one of the most upsetting things that you have ever seen or one of the funniest things that you have ever seen. Depending on how you look at it.

I MOST CERTAINLY do not mean ANY disrespect to handicapped people at all but the most effective way to explain it is to say that I throw like I am handicapped when I throw left handed.

And the thing is, I have tried My absolute hardest to throw "correctly" with My left arm. And I have tried everything as well to try and make it work. I have tried to relax My body and throw with a completely relaxed set. And I have tried to throw while going through the same sort of motions that an MLB pitcher does. NOTHING works! I just CAN NOT get it, no matter what I do!

So, My hat totally goes off to this pitcher. The fact that he is able to do this is quite freaky to Me. I have a strong suspicion that he must be some sort of alien. And if he is from this planet, then he is either some sort of genetic mutation or had some sort of surgery to do this. Those are the only things that make any sense to Me. Don't tell Me that this all natural for this guy. If you believe that, I have some land that I would like to sell you.

But in all seriousness, someone needs to find out the Official/Exact Rule concerning this. There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this in this thread. I tried to find an Official answer but could not come up with anything. Everything that I searched for just kept giving Me all the info on Switch Hitters. It looks like they don't even have any info on "Switch Pitchers". Hopefully someone comes up with something solid soon before this thread threatens to bring down the entire WSI Community.

Madscout
06-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I've seen this story ALL OVER the news! It is EVERYWHERE!! It's really amazing to Me how news networks get a particular story and just go CRAZY with it!! It spreads like the plague.

Anyway, I found/find this particular scenario to be incredibly interesting, quite unique, and cool as hell!

Watching the video clip was beyond hilarious. Seeing both players go back and forth and back and forth was quite entertaining. I'm happy for everyone involved that both players were finally able to agree on which side they were going to play at.

What surprises Me the most about this is the fact that there really actually exists a human being who can throw well with BOTH arms!!!!!:scratch::o::?:

I'm certainly not some dumbass, but this one is completely OVER MY HEAD!!!

I'm sure that most people on this board have tried to throw with their "off" arm. At least at one point or another. And if you have, then you know just how hard it is!!! Not only is it close to impossible to do, but you look like a TOTAL JACKASS when you try to do it!!

I'm right handed and I can gun it pretty darn well with My right arm. However, when I switch to lefty, it is either one of the most upsetting things that you have ever seen or one of the funniest things that you have ever seen. Depending on how you look at it.

I MOST CERTAINLY do not mean ANY disrespect to handicapped people at all but the most effective way to explain it is to say that I throw like I am handicapped when I throw left handed.

And the thing is, I have tried My absolute hardest to throw "correctly" with My left arm. And I have tried everything as well to try and make it work. I have tried to relax My body and throw with a completely relaxed set. And I have tried to throw while going through the same sort of motions that an MLB pitcher does. NOTHING works! I just CAN NOT get it, no matter what I do!

So, My hat totally goes off to this pitcher. The fact that he is able to do this is quite freaky to Me. I have a strong suspicion that he must be some sort of alien. And if he is from this planet, then he is either some sort of genetic mutation or had some sort of surgery to do this. Those are the only things that make any sense to Me. Don't tell Me that this all natural for this guy. If you believe that, I have some land that I would like to sell you.

But in all seriousness, someone needs to find out the Official/Exact Rule concerning this. There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this in this thread. I tried to find an Official answer but could not come up with anything. Everything that I searched for just kept giving Me all the info on Switch Hitters. It looks like they don't even have any info on "Switch Pitchers". Hopefully someone comes up with something solid soon before this thread threatens to bring down the entire WSI Community.
Word. I don't care what the rule is, pitcher has to win this one over the switch hitters. It takes a lot of work to be able to do it, and how many pitchers can? Unless 20 years down the road we have a ton of these, pitcher has it.

nug0hs
07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Here is an article on the rule change made today because of this guy:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080702&content_id=3051858&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Here is an article on the rule change made today because of this guy:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080702&content_id=3051858&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Not really a rule change, but instruction to umpires of how to interpret the existing rule.