PDA

View Full Version : What a Bandwagon Jumper!

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Check out this story (http://www.sj-r.com/news/x1743977651/Longtime-Cards-fan-switches-sides) from the State Journal-Register.

kraut83
06-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Slow news day in Springfield apparently.

Hearing the reasons the guy gives for switching make me think he will fit in very well up in cubbieland.

BigPapaPump
06-20-2008, 08:47 AM
This guy makes me :puking:

soxpride724
06-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Pathetic. Pick a side and stay with it.

DSpivack
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
My dad did the opposite after getting sick and tired of seeing losing Cubs teams year after year after year.

soxpride724
06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
My dad did the opposite after getting sick and tired of seeing losing Cubs teams year after year after year.

I've known people who have done that for the same reason, and that's ok. But this guys team, the Cardinals, won the WS in 2006. Now to jump to the Cubs two years removed from your team being in the WS and winning it is pathetic, oh yeah they also won the NL pennant in 2004. Not to mention all the great seasons the red birds have had throughout the years.

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I switched in 1979 when I was still in HS. No regrets here.

I do think this is an interesting story. He's not doing it as anything more than an experiment as I see it. Takes a lot to make that kind of emotional change simply on willpower, especially when many of your friends and family are so deeply committed to the other side.

If he actually writes the book, it will probably be an interesting read. The true test is coming. If the Cardinals are 3 games out in August he's going to have some serious problems...

TommyJohn
06-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I used to root for both teams, although I watched more Sox games, went
to them and was more of a Sox fan. I came down on one side in 1983 and
have seen no reason to change.

Smokey Burg
06-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Typical for a cards fan. I lived in Missouri for a few years in the early '80's. When the birds are winning, everybody is a cardinal fan. Once they become the dead-birds, nobody cares. Most fickle fans in baseball.

thomas35forever
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
That guy should never be allowed to enter Busch Stadium again. What an idiot. Did he forget that the Cards won the WS no more than two years ago?

whitesox901
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
what a bitch

PatK
06-20-2008, 01:01 PM

Same here.

Although I supported both teams before, because they were in different leagues, when it came to the two teams facing each other, I took the Cubs side.

After the 1999 season, when they had their worst season in 20 years and fans filled the park making getting tickets impossible, I realized who the average fan was- and really began to resent the frat house attitude and lack of knowledge of the fanbase.

Until that point, I attended Cubs and Sox games evenly

Jerome
06-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I liked the Packers when I was a little kid :redface::redface::redface::redface:

DSpivack
06-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Same here.

Although I supported both teams before, because they were in different leagues, when it came to the two teams facing each other, I took the Cubs side.

After the 1999 season, when they had their worst season in 20 years and fans filled the park making getting tickets impossible, I realized who the average fan was- and really began to resent the frat house attitude and lack of knowledge of the fanbase.

Until that point, I attended Cubs and Sox games evenly

Well, he became a Cards fan, not a Sox fan.

My family was made up of mostly Cubs fans, I was indoctrinated early, but around age 9 (when my dad took me to an ALCS game vs the still-Blue Jays) I switched over and have been a Sox fan since.

manders_01
06-22-2008, 01:00 AM
What makes it sad to me is not so much that he switched sides (although I could never imagine suddenly rooting for any of my teams rivals), it's that he sounds like he intends to stop being a Scrubs fan and start cheering for the Cards again as soon as this season is over. :?:

RadioheadRocks
06-22-2008, 01:05 AM
I switched in 1979 when I was still in HS. No regrets here.

I do think this is an interesting story. He's not doing it as anything more than an experiment as I see it. Takes a lot to make that kind of emotional change simply on willpower, especially when many of your friends and family are so deeply committed to the other side.

If he actually writes the book, it will probably be an interesting read. The true test is coming. If the Cardinals are 3 games out in August he's going to have some serious problems...

Ok, but do we really need yet ANOTHER sCrUB propaganda book clogging up the shelves at Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc.?

Granted it has gotten a bit better with several White Sox books released in the last few years, but give me a break already!

UofCSoxFan
06-22-2008, 01:26 AM
If I had actually heard of this guy or his paper, maybe I'd care.

On second thought...no...no I wouldn't.

Rockman218
06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
I guess switching sides is okay when your like eleven. (Like me:rolleyes: Go Sox!) But when your 33, that **** is weak.