PDA

View Full Version : JP Riccaiardi on Adam Dunn

jabrch
06-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Caller on a postgame show suggesed to JP that he go get Dunn as a FA...

(paraphrasing)JP: What do you know about him? Do you know he really doesn't like to play the game? He's a .230 hitter who strikes out too much. I'm sure if I got him - you'd be the first caller complaining about his difficiencies

Now this is very OGesque...JP clearly is talking when he shouldn't. But it is really surprising on several levels. First - to hear a GM trash another team's player, by name, for really no reason, is odd. This isn't AJP who is a lightning rod for this. It isn't Zamboso after a blowup. This isn't right after a big fight were Dunn hurt one of JPs guys. This is a guy who has no relationship with Toronto at all. To talk about his desire or lack there-of is...well...probably not a good idea.

Second - Dunn should be a JP type guy. JP citing a low batting average? Isn't that odd? Dunn has a .396 OBP this year. Now I'm stereotyping - and I may be totally wrong - but isn't Adam Dunn a stat guy's dream? High OBP, high SLG, high OPS and OPS+. And from a stat guy's point of view, who cares about the Ks? They are the same as other outs...

Now I agree with JP's statement. Dunn isn't as good as his OBP/SLG/OPS says. I wouldn't wan't to pay the price I think he will get for a KNOWN .230 hitter. (bad enough some of our .280 hitters are hitting .230) But I can't imagine why JP would go off on this line at Dunn.

As they said on sportscenter - Dunn will not be converting his dollars to looneys and toonies this offseason as a FA.

JP later admitted to not knowing Dunn and he called Dunn and Jocketty to apologize. But I find it really odd.

I have a feeling very shortly we will see Ricciardi gone in Toronto. Maybe he and Depodesta can go back to running spreadsheets for BB?

kraut83
06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Ricciardi has plenty of problems of his own in Toronto.

The Jays are classic underachievers nearly every year, and he and Gibbons should both be shown the door at the same time.

oeo
06-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Ricciardi has plenty of problems of his own in Toronto.

The Jays are classic underachievers nearly every year, and he and Gibbons should both be shown the door at the same time.

Gibbons is a complete asshat. I can't believe he still has a job; it can't be that much longer, can it?

palehozenychicty
06-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Gibbons is a complete asshat. I can't believe he still has a job; it can't be that much longer, can it?

Seriously. With that starting pitching, they should be a lot better team.

The Immigrant
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Seriously. With that starting pitching, they should be a lot better team.

Well...the genius GM cut Frank Thomas to give Matt Stairs regular playing time, he traded Troy Glaus for a gimpy Scott Rolen, and his big contract extensions to Wells and Rios are not exactly paying dividends. There's only so much lemonade Gibbons can make with the dead weight on that roster.

Besides, anyone who punches Ted Lilly in the face is okay in my book.

palehozenychicty
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Well...the genius GM cut Frank Thomas to give Matt Stairs regular playing time, he traded Troy Glaus for a gimpy Scott Rolen, and his big contract extensions to Wells and Rios are not exactly paying dividends. There's only so much lemonade Gibbons can make with the dead weight on that roster.

Besides, anyone who punches Ted Lilly in the face is okay in my book.

Glaus for Rolen is truly a salary wash, and nothing more.
I think he overestimated on Wells and Rios. Those guys have just disappeared after getting those contracts. I think they both have got to go, Ricciardi and Gibbons.

jabrch
06-20-2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.firejoemorgan.com/

The guys at FJM did a good riff on this story also. I don't agree with a lot of what they say - but those guys are funny as hell. I'll give em credit - they were equally tough on Ricciardi for violating their ethos as they would on any sportswriter they would take apart.

And I'll agree with them - Dunn would be the best hitter on their team. That said - I wouldn't pay either the Reds price for him, nor his FA price. He's a guy who's statistics are very misleading.

kraut83
06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Just heard on xm that Gibbons was canned this afternoon...