PDA

View Full Version : Funny Prediction

Rdy2PlayBall
06-20-2008, 01:35 AM
3rd. Chicago White Sox
http://sportshubris.com/files/whitesox.jpg
Prediction: 84-78
Key Additions: Orlando Cabrera, Nick Swisher, Carlos Quentin, Octavio Dotel, Scott Linebrink
Key Losses: Jon Garland, Darin Erstad, Scott Podsednik
Projected Lineup: SS Cabrera, CF Swisher, 1B Konerko, DH Thome, RF Dye, C Pierzynski, 3B Fields/Crede, LF Quentin, 2B Richar
Projected Rotation & Closer: Vazquez, Buerhle, Contreras, Danks, Floyd & Jenks
Analysis: The White Sox quietly built quite an offense themselves this offseason – they were clearly overshadowed by the free wheelin’ Tigers. The additions of Cabrera and Swisher to the top of the lineup will be huge for their middle of the order guys. Of course, health is always a concern when considering Jim Thome & Jermaine Dye – but they each proved when healthy, they are big time power hitters. They also did a great job getting Carlos Quentin from Arizona – he projects to be an excellent player down the road, and this team isn’t getting any younger. The problem the White Sox made this offseason was they didn’t improve their pitching very much (let’s not forget they won the World Series behind good pitching, as all teams tend to do). The signings of both Dotel and Linebrink showed a commitment to improve their terrible bullpen (except for closer Bobby Jenks) but they overpaid for both. Also, Linebrink may have been a product of Petco when he was with the Padres and Dotel will probably end up on the DL at some point, because that’s what Dotel is known for – getting hurt. And by trading away Garland they hurt their rotation – Danks & Floyd both may not be quite ready for a full-time starter duty but are being thrown into the fire. Ultimately, pitching will be their undoing.

>>>link http://sportshubris.com/content/mlb-2008-predictions-part-2-7-al-central (http://sportshubris.com/content/mlb-2008-predictions-part-2-7-al-central)

It's kind of funny how that last sentence couldn't have been more wrong! :bandance:
The season isn't over, but it's looken better for the Sox than this guy might have thought. :P What do you guys think about the predictions made by this guy?

MetroPD
06-20-2008, 04:17 AM
My God man, he was completely right.

jabrch
06-20-2008, 08:14 AM
What do you guys think about the predictions made by this guy?

Like any baseball "predictions" this is pure guesswork. And like most baseball experts, he appears to have guessed wrong about the 2008 Sox.

SoxGirl4Life
06-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Like any baseball "predictions" this is pure guesswork. And like most baseball experts, he appears to have guessed wrong about the 2008 Sox.

So far.

jabrch
06-20-2008, 08:34 AM
So far.

You believe Danks and Floyd will ultimately be our undoing?

doublem23
06-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Would that be a shock? Floyd ha already entered uncharted waters, he's pitched 90.1 innings this year, his previous career high was 70 IP last year. Danks, OTOH, still has a bit of a ways to go, but he's on pace to toss 219.2 IP this season (or, 80 more than he threw last year).

They've looked great out the gate, but we're going to need them to look great in September, too.

jabrch
06-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Would that be a shock? Floyd ha already entered uncharted waters, he's pitched 90.1 innings this year, his previous career high was 70 IP last year. Danks, OTOH, still has a bit of a ways to go, but he's on pace to toss 219.2 IP this season (or, 80 more than he threw last year).

They've looked great out the gate, but we're going to need them to look great in September, too.

I'd be shocked if their numbers are not, at the end of the year, very good for 4th and 5th starters.

doublem23
06-20-2008, 08:42 AM
I'd be shocked if their numbers are not, at the end of the year, very good for 4th and 5th starters.

That means they'd have to pitch like **** for a period of time to even out their numbers.

Great.

I know Coop, Ozzie, and Herm have a great track record working with these pitchers, but I'd be pretty surprised if one of them doesn't break down by the end of the year.

ondafarm
06-20-2008, 09:01 AM

You mean most guys who pass themselves off as experts and can get their stuff in print.

oeo
06-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Everyone in their right mind knew that the pitching staff could make or break the season. So far, it's made the season. No one should be going around laughing at these predictions, or saying they were completely off base because they were not. I had complete faith that Floyd could be a #5 starter, and that Danks would step up, but I did not expect what they've done so far...no one can say that they did. Not to mention, no one saw Contreras' comeback, except Don Cooper.

Even if Danks, Contreras, and Floyd performed as 3, 4, and 5 starters, we wouldn't be where we're at. All three have pitched like top of the rotation guys to this point. That's why this offense needs to show some consistency, because we can't expect THIS good of pitching all year. Can it be good? Yes. This good? I don't think so.

Yearly baseball predictions are tough to make. Hell, things can change so much in the matter of a week that weekly predictions are tough to make.

SoxGirl4Life
06-20-2008, 09:37 AM

I hope not. But I'm not gonna get cocky about them either.

jabrch
06-20-2008, 09:53 AM
That means they'd have to pitch like **** for a period of time to even out their numbers.

Great.

I know Coop, Ozzie, and Herm have a great track record working with these pitchers, but I'd be pretty surprised if one of them doesn't break down by the end of the year.

Of course not - but that wouldn't make them the "undoing of this team" even if...

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Actually, if anything Floyd has been pitching even better. Though I am not happy with his mental meltdown in the second yesterday, he's clearly finding a groove. His K's are up significantly from early in the season when some statisticians were talking about how he allows too many balls to be hit into play and how that will eventually catch up to him. Well, he's allowing less now, so that argument seems moot...

Huisj
06-20-2008, 11:22 AM

I think you were looking at the wrong line on ESPN's stat page for Danks. His career total now is 219.2 IP; he's on pace for 173. He really doesn't tend to throw a lot of innings because he gets his pitch count high pretty quickly quite often, and then only lasts into the 6th inning or so. He's been very effective, but the one thing he's still got a lot of room for improvement on it being more efficient.

Hokiesox
06-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, he messed up about Danks and Floyd, but his record prediction is 84-78. Until the Sox win an 85th game, he's not completely wrong.

I'm confident about the team, but this is the same attitude I had in 2005, so I'm not changing.

jabrch
06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah, he messed up about Danks and Floyd, but his record prediction is 84-78. Until the Sox win an 85th game, he's not completely wrong.

I'm confident about the team, but this is the same attitude I had in 2005, so I'm not changing.

I wasn't poking so much at the record, but at his projection in detail. He assumed out pitching would be much worse - specifically Danks and Floyd. The assumption that then makes an 84 win season possible is that we'd have this high powered offense to make up for it. And while we have been decent, we certainly haven't scored enough to support an 84 win season if Danks and Floyd were the undoing of this team, instead of the core drivers of its success.

asindc
06-20-2008, 11:47 AM

Actually. Let's get to 85 wins and then gloat. Check that, let's get to the playoffs with at least 85 wins and then gloat. Until then, there is a job to finish.