PDA

View Full Version : Rockies sweep Indians

illini81887
06-19-2008, 11:59 PM
And detriot has now moved above them for 3rd place. Cleveland is now 8 back

manders_01
06-20-2008, 12:14 AM
:bandance: Rockies first sweep since the second week of the season and they've now won 11 out of their last 15. Don't count these boys out yet! :D:

whitesox901
06-20-2008, 12:17 AM
now if only the tiggers, twinkies and Cubs get swept this weekend.........

High Mileage
06-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Good news, KC will be in 4th soon...

WhiteSox5187
06-20-2008, 12:51 AM
We were all very upset after the Tigers swept us and then after Colorado took two out of three, but maybe we just ran into them at the wrong time?

It was foolish to consider the Tigers out of it by the way, and I admit, I counted them out of it.

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2008, 12:52 AM
This is completely awesome! I hate the Tribe with a passion. I love seeing them lose whenever they can! They can take their classless Thome-booing selves and shove it.

JB98
06-20-2008, 02:45 AM
We were all very upset after the Tigers swept us and then after Colorado took two out of three, but maybe we just ran into them at the wrong time?

It was foolish to consider the Tigers out of it by the way, and I admit, I counted them out of it.

I'm glad Colorado took it to Cleveland, but I still feel the Sox should have won two out of three at home against the Rockies.

TDog
06-20-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm glad Colorado took it to Cleveland, but I still feel the Sox should have won two out of three at home against the Rockies.

What the Sox did at home against Pittsburgh after struggling for two days against the Rockies, I think, speaks more to the quality of the pitching performances turned in by the Rockies than it does to the inconsistent offense of the Sox. Pitchers can rise to the occasion. Real-life baseball isn't a computer game where performance is based on averages of what a player did the previous season.

Mark Buehrle, for weeks, has been better than his ERA. Yet there are a bunch of Sox fans that have considered him the worst starter because of his ERA. A pitcher's ERA, of course, doesn't show how a pitcher can pitch, provides a hint as to how he has pitched. If you're looking to predict how tough a pitcher will be, ERA doesn't tell you much.

For that matter, the Sox faced Verlander and Rogers while they were pitching up to their abilities on days when the Sox pitchers weren't.

The Tigers and Rockies played better baseball than the Sox. The Sox played better baseball than the Pirates. And I hope this weekend the Sox play better baseball than the Cubs. The fact that the Cubs went 0-3 in St. Petersburg this year after the Sox went 3-4 against the Rays on the road doesn't predict the outcome of the games between the Sox and the Cubs.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
What the Sox did at home against Pittsburgh after struggling for two days against the Rockies, I think, speaks more to the quality of the pitching performances turned in by the Rockies than it does to the inconsistent offense of the Sox. Pitchers can rise to the occasion. Real-life baseball isn't a computer game where performance is based on averages of what a player did the previous season.

Mark Buehrle, for weeks, has been better than his ERA. Yet there are a bunch of Sox fans that have considered him the worst starter because of his ERA. A pitcher's ERA, of course, doesn't show how a pitcher can pitch, provides a hint as to how he has pitched. If you're looking to predict how tough a pitcher will be, ERA doesn't tell you much.

For that matter, the Sox faced Verlander and Rogers while they were pitching up to their abilities on days when the Sox pitchers weren't.

The Tigers and Rockies played better baseball than the Sox. The Sox played better baseball than the Pirates. And I hope this weekend the Sox play better baseball than the Cubs. The fact that the Cubs went 0-3 in St. Petersburg this year after the Sox went 3-4 against the Rays on the road doesn't predict the outcome of the games between the Sox and the Cubs.

Great post. I think that too frequently we fans get caught up in over-analyzing the game. The fact is, you can't predict with any accuracy what will happen in a single event in baseball, whether it is an at bat, an inning, or a game. Statistics are interesting, and because there are sometimes trends that occur in baseball they can help predict the future, but in all reality they only tell what has happened in the past.

That said, I think this shows that the Rockies aren't nearly as bad of a team as some people thought, and the Sox losing two of three, while painful, was not the end of the world. De la Rosa struck out 10 last night in six innings, and the Rockies broadcasters were saying that he has always had good stuff but poor command, which he has recently improved. Also, Aaron Cook and Jeff Francis are both very good pitchers. The Sox just happened to face the Rockies when they were playing well.

ondafarm
06-20-2008, 10:58 AM

So do I.

Thigpen "57"
06-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Great post. I think that too frequently we fans get caught up in over-analyzing the game. The fact is, you can't predict with any accuracy what will happen in a single event in baseball, whether it is an at bat, an inning, or a game. Statistics are interesting, and because there are sometimes trends that occur in baseball they can help predict the future, but in all reality they only tell what has happened in the past.

That said, I think this shows that the Rockies aren't nearly as bad of a team as some people thought, and the Sox losing two of three, while painful, was not the end of the world. De la Rosa struck out 10 last night in six innings, and the Rockies broadcasters were saying that he has always had good stuff but poor command, which he has recently improved. Also, Aaron Cook and Jeff Francis are both very good pitchers. The Sox just happened to face the Rockies when they were playing well.

For sure, and we have to realize the Rockies have been dealing with a multitude of injuries since the beginning of the season. I mean come on, at one point they had lost both of their corner outfielders as well as both of thier shortstops! Not to mention ther starting pitch started off the year rough. Rocks are a good team, unfortunately we played them when they are starting to get healthy and click again.

Also, De la Rosa looked wicked good against us on Saturday with that nasty slider. Thank fully he only pitched 5 innings.

kraut83
06-20-2008, 11:50 AM
The Rox are 8 games back, but nobody else in that division seems to be too motivated right now. I wouldn't bet against them making a serious run at it.

sox1970
06-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Should have, but that's baseball.

Going into this week, I just said, "Win four games a week until the All Star break".

They have a chance for the 4th today. :D:

manders_01
06-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Tulo's back in the game tonight and Barmes is due to come back up the beginning of next week. Hurdle has got a tough decisions in front of him - Baker and Quintanilla are playing exceptionally well. Bake just hit his fourth homer in four games (one was an inside the park-er)!