PDA

View Full Version : Greenstein Rates the Chicago Announcers

mrfourni
06-19-2008, 05:54 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080618-grading-chicago-baseball-broadcasters,1,1996837.column?page=1

I met farmer in San Fran earlier this year and he had some harsh words for Greenstein then. I'd love to get his opinion after the number he wrote today.

I'm not the biggest Farmer fan, though I'll admit I think he does a better job with someone as good as Stone sitting next to him. But for Teddy to completely dismiss the fact that Santo has no business whatsoever providing analysis in the Cub's radio booth because of Pat Hughes' ability is simply idiotic.

jdm2662
06-19-2008, 06:02 PM
The grade for Hawk was a bit high...

And sorry Ed, the radio broadcast last season was less tolerable than the TV broadcast is this season. God Bless Steve Stone! I know can listen to a broadcast that I'm not embarassed of.

peeonwrigley
06-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Fair enough.

I think the best play-by-play guy in the city is Pat Hughes, and the best color guy is Stoney.

Len Kasper is too Marvin the Martian-y.

Jerome
06-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Cubs TV guys are good

I like Hughes but Santo is the worst

I don't like Hawk and DJ. Hawk would be a good color man or 3rd guy in the both at best simply because of his old stories and catch phrases.

I LOVE listening to the Sox on the radio now because of Steve Stone, last year was unbearable.

areilly
06-20-2008, 01:15 PM
CUBS:

TV: C
Because you cannot find a more bland, average, non-offensive broadcast tandem out there. If someone were to describe the average TV pair, they would be describing Brenley and Kasper.

RADIO: F
Pat Hughes, without a doubt, has the single worst job in the world. The guy should go into the broadcasters' hall of fame for perserverance and refusal to let Oh No Santo drive him to retirement. Or suicide.

SOX:

TV: D+
Hawk played with Carl Yazstrzemski? Really? That's awesome.

RADIO: B+
Farmer's still adjusting, but this is the next best thing I think we're ever going to get to the glory that was Rooney and Farmer.

JB98
06-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Greenstein goes on and on about how irritating Santo is, and then he gives the Cubs radio team a B+. :?:

ondafarm
06-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd consistently rate Greenstein an F, and that's hard considering the depth and quality (or lack thereof) demonstrated by sportwriters in this town.

the1tab
06-20-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll throw out the big BUT on this argument...

Santo is annoying.... BUT if Greenstein is grading based on not only quality, but reception from their audience... Santo's annoying UNLESS you're a die-hard Cubs fan who doesn't care that he's the biggest homer on earth (see those that like Hawk's TV job w/ the Sox). If this was part of his grading scale, then I'll say the Cubs radio gets a B- (largely because Santo wanders mentally every fourth batter and gets lost in the booth from time to time).

I'll give the Cubs TV a B+. Brenly, to me, is close to Stone. He REALLY knows his stuff, was a World Series winning manager, and probably could still be a good game caller behind the plate. The Marvin the Martian comment is hilarious and true... but Kasper's pretty good as well. If you can get past his voice (Chip Caray), he's ok. Brenly is worthy of an A, though.

I'd give Hawk & DJ a D. Tell us what's happening in front of you, not what you or a teammate did years ago. They're both a Hall of Fame jacket from being Joe Morgan.

Sox Radio - I'll give them an A-. I LOVE Steve Stone... he carried Harry all those years and should have his name in the fine print on Caray's plaque in Cooperstown. Farmer does an adequate job, and they both get a bonus from me for not doing what many thought they would do... with both being pitchers, some thought their commentary would have limited scope. Stone finishes for Farmer where last year his thoughts were thrown at deaf ears.

Dream Team: Rooney & Stone. I wouldn't need a TV until Bears season.

SOXPHILE
06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I love this line:

And he never lets Santo chafe him, despite the fact that Santo does his preparation and research while he's calling the game.

Hughes treats him like the Hall of Famer he deserves to be

:rolling:

Had to get that in there, didn't ya', lil' Teddy ? Does the campaigning and whining every stop with TribCo ?

PatK
06-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I'd seriously downgrade the Cubs TV team this year.

Len and Brenley have been ridiculous homers this season, bordering on silly.

Yes, the Cubs may have the best record, but during last night's game against the Rays, they were making the Cubs out like they were the 1996-2000 Yankees getting swept.

Juice16
06-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I'll throw out the big BUT on this argument...

. Santo's annoying UNLESS you're a die-hard Cubs fan who doesn't care that he's the biggest homer on earth (see those that like Hawk's TV job w/ the Sox).

Hawk's homerism is nowhere near the level of Santo's incoherent babble and I wish people would stop making the comparison. you can be a homer like Hawk and still make critical judgment of your team, or you can be like Santo and grunt and moan when something bad happens. During the Dodger game when the Cubs made several errors to give it away, Santo told the audience the Cub's didn't mean to make the errors.

TommyGavinFloyd
06-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Len Kasper should get a D simply for trying to incorporate his being a music snob into his broadcasts. What a tool. Hawk on the other hand gets an A, I love to hear his tales.