PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox heartlessly send Buckos to Davey Jones Locker Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Sweep! Bring on them Cubbies!:bandance:

VeeckAsInWreck
06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Moral of this game: Don't give up on your team in the 2nd inning.

whitesox4eva
06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
in the first inning in a half i was ****ting myself after that i was dancing like this banana:bandance:

hi im skot
06-19-2008, 04:05 PM
It's Jermaine Dye's world...and we're just living in it.

Great work, boys. On to the dump on the other side of town...

MushMouth
06-19-2008, 04:05 PM
needed that series... lets go get those the northside chumps now! :gulp:

kidmccarthy
06-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Hot sticks coming to a Northside thats hopefully been swept and tired from a late night airplane ride. I like it. Gavin Gets a cookie for keeping it together after the second. Wow!

Cat Thief
What a game..........

downstairs
Wow. PIT sucks. Just plain sucks. We played them like we should of- destroyed them. But, man... I feel sorry for their fans.

whitesoxfan
:winner

Frankfan4life
I'm not liking the title of this thread. Nevertheless, I'm impressed with the way the Sox fought back today. Being down six runs would have normally been a death sentence but the Sox fought back and took this one handily.

I love it when the Sox win early. Now, I'll go about the rest of my day with a smile on my face and then get ready for the next series, which will be a tough one.

Just noticed the title of the thread has changed. That's better!

PicktoCLick72
06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
An eight game win streak would be great right about now.

JGarlandrules20
It was awesome to see the sox come right back after being down 0-6!! Jermaine is Dye-namite! :D:

Bring on the Cubs! Should be an exciting series, like always.

Madvora
Hey when Paulie's not in there to clear off the bases with a double play, we can actually score those guys!

LITTLE NELL
Had a feeling that they would come back to win this game after spotting the Bucs a 6spot.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 04:09 PM
All heart today. Way to pick Gavin up.

Bring out the :sweep: :sweep: :sweep:

Because...

:supernana:

:)

jabrch
06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I see no reason to believe the Sox won't be in it all season.

hi im skot
06-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey when Paulie's not in there to clear off the bases with a double play, we can actually score those guys!

Yeah...Swisher took care of that part today.

SoxGirl4Life
06-19-2008, 04:13 PM

And Pablo. That error was devastating.

Bucky F. Dent
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
All right, now that that is over with, let's go pound the crap out of the cubs!!!!!!

It's Dankerific
06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
More important than the sox winning? that sonic is opening 4 more restaurants. straight from

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/

Soxman219
06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Nice comeback win for the Sox after being down 6-0 in the 2nd. Now we are going in hot against the Cubs.

It's on now, it is time the get hardcore payback on the Cubs after what they did to us last year.

SoxGirl4Life
06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
More important than the sox winning? that sonic is opening 4 more restaurants. straight from

That's nice and all, but not more important than a White Sox Winner!

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Awesome game. Way to manufacture runs.

Now go manufacture them and kick the living **** out of those Cubs.

spiffie
06-19-2008, 04:20 PM

I think Dank was critiquing the priorities of the Tribune on this matter.

voodoochile
And Pablo. That error was devastating.

No, that error sucked. What came next was nearly devastating.

How the heck do you give up 6 UE runs in a single inning anyway. I mean by definition, once 4 runs have scored every possible run you might have surrendered due to that error has crossed home plate.

Pablo screwed up. Gavin choked.

Risk
Awesome game. Way to manufacture runs.

Now go manufacture them and kick the living **** out of those Cubs.

Seconded.:gulp:

Risk

SoxGirl4Life
06-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Ooooh.. :redface:

spiffie
06-19-2008, 04:22 PM
No, that error sucked. What came next was nearly devastating.

How the heck do you give up 6 UE runs in a single inning anyway. I mean by definition, once 4 runs have scored every possible run you might have surrendered due to that error has crossed home plate.

Pablo screwed up. Gavin choked.
The inning should have been over. Gavin did all he needed to do to reasonably notch the three outs in the inning. Thus Pablo is blamed for 6 runs, global warming, overpriced beer, high gas prices, and corn shortages.

It's Dankerific
06-19-2008, 04:23 PM

Exactly Spiffie.. exactly.

I guess my powers are growing. Sonic crap now pulled.

That cubicle girl amanda is the WORST. I like Rahul(sp?). he is probably the one guy at the tribune with some ****ing sense.

October26
06-19-2008, 04:24 PM

Bring out the :sweep: :sweep: :sweep:

Because...

:supernana:

:)

I love it when we get to pull out the brooms. Sox win! Sox win! YES!

DickAllen72
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
It's amazing what removing dead weight from the middle of the lineup can do.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
The inning should have been over. Gavin did all he needed to do to reasonably notch the three outs in the inning. Thus Pablo is blamed for 6 runs, global warming, overpriced beer, high gas prices, and corn shortages.

I remember that time in the 2005 Divisional Playoff series when Tony Graffanino playing second base at the time allowed a 3-run homer to bounce under his glove and through his legs...

Frankfan4life
06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Nice comeback win for the Sox after being down 6-0 in the 2nd. Now we are going in hot against the Cubs.

It's on now, it is time the get hardcore payback on the Cubs after what they did to us last year. The cubs would be coming in cold if the Rays can get the sweep today. The Rays are a tough team to beat in their ballpark. I was at the Trop when they beat us three straight and took three out of four in the series. This is strange to say but, GO RAYS!!!

SoxGirl4Life
06-19-2008, 04:34 PM
The cubs would be coming in cold if the Rays can get the sweep today. The Rays are a tough team to beat in their ballpark. I was at the Trop when they beat us three straight and took three out of four in the series. This is strange to say but, GO RAYS!!!

I hope the Rays stay in it all year. Nice change of pace from the Boston/NY cycle from the east

Lip Man 1
06-19-2008, 04:37 PM
It's nice that for a change the hitters "bailed out" the starting pitchers after all the times the starters have been great, only to see the offense go into a coma.

Granted today wasn't all Floyd's fault.....just another reason why Ozuna should NEVER play in the field unless it's absolutely necessary. He's a pinch hitter/pinch runner...period.

The pitching was "off" a bit in two games but the offense came through and I'm sure the pitchers appreciate that very much.

And again an outstanding job by the bullpen to keep this one from getting away.

Lip

DumpJerry
06-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Granted today wasn't all Floyd's fault.....just another reason why Ozuna should NEVER play in the field unless it's absolutely necessary. He's a pinch hitter/pinch runner...period.

Lip
Crede is now rested for the weekend.

FielderJones
06-19-2008, 04:41 PM

Who plays third when Crede needs a rest? :scratch:

White City
06-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Sox are 6-1 when Gavin Floyd pitches at home. So that means Cleveland should go ahead and mark down their June 30 game in the Cell as a loss.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Guys:

I understand Joe's back and the need for a break at times. But these were games on grass, not turf. Rest him on Astroturf...that I can certainly agree with.

Lip

spiffie
06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Guys:

I understand Joe's back and the need for a break at times. But these were games on grass, not turf. Rest him on Astroturf...that I can certainly agree with.

Lip
We haven't played on Astroturf in weeks. We don't play on turf again until the last week of July. Seems like a tough measure to use if you want to keep a guy with a balky back in good health.

It's Dankerific
06-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Who plays third when Crede needs a rest? :scratch:

BA?

MsSoxVixen22
06-19-2008, 04:52 PM
What a win! Good to see the bats pick the pitcher up! I went nuts when JD hit the grannie! :bandance: Go get the Cubs tonight Rays and let's light up the Cubs this weekend!

hi im skot
06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
It's amazing what removing dead weight from the middle of the lineup can do.

Paul Konerko is dead weight, now?

:?:

hawkjt
06-19-2008, 05:02 PM
So far in the games that PK missed this week, his ''replacements'' in the lineup have been Wise on Tues(2 hits),BA on Weds.(HR) and BA today(zip),
so I do think PK's absence has been blunted.

I luvvvv JD when he is on fire.
Floyd had a one inning brain cramp but I was impressed with how his stuff picked up later. Pablo got 3 hits which helps ease the pain of that error.
OC is also on fire and his dinger was the biggest hit of the game.
I think the sox are in good shape(outside of PK) coming into this tough stretch the next 10 days.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Fielder:

Juan Uribe should play 3rd when Joe needs a break.

Lip

gogosox16
06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
just got back from the game. What a game and broke my personal 4 game losing streak:bandance:

JB98
06-19-2008, 05:10 PM
It's about time we dropped the hammer on a garbage left-handed pitcher. Dumatrait sucks. The Sox should be rocking dopes like this, and today they did. Nice job by the offense overall today.

LITTLE NELL
06-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Fielder:

Lip
I agree on Uribe at 3rd when resting Joe.

BeefyD
06-19-2008, 05:16 PM
The first time I looked, it was 6-0 starting the bottom of the 2nd. I was like "Oh ****......" Looked again in 20 minutes, its 6-6 and got better from there. Great job by the team to not just hang their heads. Goin' into Wrigley with a win streak. I likes it!

ArkanSox
06-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Things have turned around since the three game series with Detroit and our feelings of fear and sadness just last Thursday. Let's keep the MO going and pound the Cubbies this weekend.

I'm very sorry to see that some Sox fans are so eager to throw Paulie (or anyone else struggling) to the wolves or under the bus.

PK and the others they keep blasting will be helping us win a lot of ballgames before this season is done.

ArkanSox

markopat
06-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Damn...that rocked! I know that the Pablo error was tough, but in my mind, it says A LOT about this team and their ability to come back with their bats. Reminds me of a couple seasons ago when great things happened. Some of those hits had eyes.

GO SOX GO!

Whip up on those Northsiders!!! YES!

Martinigirl
06-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Giangreco just showed the highlights of teh game and said he predicts the Sox will sweep the Cubs this weekend. It is nice when someone in the media is kind to our team.

RadioheadRocks
06-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Glad to see Gavin get the W when all was said and done. :D:

russ99
06-19-2008, 05:42 PM
It's nice that for a change the hitters "bailed out" the starting pitchers after all the times the starters have been great, only to see the offense go into a coma.

The pitching was "off" a bit in two games but the offense came through and I'm sure the pitchers appreciate that very much.

And again an outstanding job by the bullpen to keep this one from getting away.

Lip

I think Pablo plays passable defense at 2B, where we have The Missile and Uribe ahead of him, but 3B is really asking too much of him.

Awesome comeback win. The 2007 Sox would have buried their heads in the sand and walked away with a 7-1 loss. Glad this year's team is a bit different... Let's get those sCrUBS!

JB98
06-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and be a contrarian toward all the people complaining about Ozuna's defense.

He's been a guy who has sparked us off the bench offensively in the past. If you want him to continue to do that, you have to give him a few starts here and there to keep his bat sharp.

Yes, he hurts you with his defense. So you give him a spot start when you're going up against a bad team, like, say, the Pirates.

DickAllen72
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Paul Konerko is dead weight, now?

:?:
He has been for most of the season with the exception of a couple of short flashes. Let's just hope this forced rest allows his thumb to heal along with his oblique and he comes back as the quality hitter he used to be.

But a blind man could see that having the .200 hitting Thome and Konerko in the middle of the lineup for the first couple of months really slowed this offense down.

Vernam
06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Moral of this game: Don't give up on your team in the 2nd inning.Unlike seemingly many fellow Sox fans, I actually have to work during the day (!), so I just glanced and saw the 6-0 score. Looked back no more than 20 minutes later, and it was tied! Can't wait to see the replay, but this is one where I wish I'd avoided hearing the score!

Now let's kick north side tail. I'll settle for two wins over there, so long as one is on Sunday ('cause I'll be there).

Vernam

DickAllen72
06-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Fielder:

Lip
Yes, Uribe played well at 3B in 2004.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and be a contrarian toward all the people complaining about Ozuna's defense.

He's been a guy who has sparked us off the bench offensively in the past. If you want him to continue to do that, you have to give him a few starts here and there to keep his bat sharp.

Yes, he hurts you with his defense. So you give him a spot start when you're going up against a bad team, like, say, the Pirates.

I have no problem with Ozuna as the DH. He usually does some good things with the bat when he gets into a game, so DH him. Why does the DH have to be a home run guy? We got enough of them around. The Sox need guys who can get on base and move people over, which Ozuna does well.

MarySwiss
06-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I remember that time in the 2005 Divisional Playoff series when Tony Graffanino playing second base at the time allowed a 3-run homer to bounce under his glove and through his legs...

Ohhh, nooooo!

I love it when you do flashbacks, VC! :cool:

kevingrt
06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
What a bizarre game. A win is a win though and Floyd did compose himself after the second inning. And damn our bats are getting hot at the PERFECT time.

JB98
06-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I have no problem with Ozuna as the DH. He usually does some good things with the bat when he gets into a game, so DH him. Why does the DH have to be a home run guy? We got enough of them around. The Sox need guys who can get on base and move people over, which Ozuna does well.

But guys like Crede need a day off once in awhile. That's why you have someone like Ozuna around. It doesn't make sense to bench Thome every time you want to get Ozuna some ABs. All of our veterans need a break every now and then, especially Crede with his injury history.

Railsplitter
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Sox Navy sweeps Pirates.
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Just tuning in today. Sorry I couldn't be here to give you a witty thread title. :redneck

Good to see the Sox compleat the sweap. Sorry for the British accent. I've been around scholars all day.

Now they have some momentum and confidence going into the Urinal.

Let's kick some Cubbie butt and shut up their fans.

southside rocks
06-19-2008, 07:28 PM
I was at the game, and I got hung up in traffic and made it to my seat just in time to see the Bucs get 6 in the second. :o: But how delightful to see the Sox get those 6 right back, and then add 7 more!

Great game, beautiful day, good crowd -- in Hawk's words: "I'm so happy!"

btrain929
06-19-2008, 07:51 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game. I saw Russell gave up a run. Overall, how did he look? It seemed like that double was the only blemish of the inning. Did his stuff look pretty good though? I know it did on Tuesday.

FielderJones
06-19-2008, 08:07 PM

I agree on Uribe at 3rd when resting Joe.

Ozuna (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/21664): 70 career games at 3B over the course of 3+ seasons, 0.938 FA.
Uribe (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/212040): 27 career games at 3B 4 years ago, 0.965 FA.

:dunno: (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/21664)

Oldfellah
06-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Nice Sweep by our Sox today!!! Now let's drown the guppies!!! err Cubbies!!!

Whoever is talking about Paulie being dead weight will be eating some crow by the end of the season!

MarySwiss
06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice Sweep by our Sox today!!! Now let's drown the guppies!!! err Cubbies!!!

Whoever is talking about Paulie being dead weight will be eating some crow by the end of the season!

Damn straight!

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Damn straight!

If he can even crack the lineup when he returns! :redneck

I don't think this is realistic, but hypothetically if Swisher and BA (or Wise) are absolutely raking, and the Sox are winning, do you mess with success just to get Paulie in the lineup?

It's like the old QB dilemma: Drew Bledsoe gets hurt. The Pats win a bunch of games with Tom Brady playing well. Do you stick with Brady when Bledsoe returns? How does your 1B/captain compare to the quarterback in football?

JB98
06-19-2008, 09:23 PM

I don't think this is realistic, but hypothetically if Swisher and BA (or Wise) are absolutely raking, and the Sox are winning, do you mess with success just to get Paulie in the lineup?

It's like the old QB dilemma: Drew Bledsoe gets hurt. The Pats win a bunch of games with Tom Brady playing well. Do you stick with Brady when Bledsoe returns? How does your 1B/captain compare to the quarterback in football?

When Konerko comes back, he'll play. Whatever winning we do the next couple weeks, I doubt it will be because Anderson and Wise are raking.

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
When Konerko comes back, he'll play. Whatever winning we do the next couple weeks, I doubt it will be because Anderson and Wise are raking.

I'm speaking hypothetically. If you'd like, pick someone different.

Pretend AJ gets hurt for three weeks and in his stead, Hall hits .350 with a bunch of homers and the pitchers all throw good games and like pitching to Hall. Do you send Hall back to the bench to only play occassionally (like he does now)? Or do you stick with the hot player?

chisoxfanatic
06-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Maybe not; but, I truly think Swisher's getting it going, and Anderson contributes greatly to this team. BA deserves to start EVERY day! How about PK/Thome platooning at DH for a bit after PK comes back?

Well, well, well! How nice of the Pirates to basically throw us batting practice all series! What a total domination of Pittsburgh, much like the series against Minnesota a couple of weekends ago.

LongLiveFisk
06-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Let's kick some Cubbie butt and shut up their fans.

Their fans never shut up, no matter what. Even if they get swept, you can count on some bull**** spin, usually beginning with the words, "Well, at least we......" :kukoo:

At any rate I was at today's game and had a great time! Thanks to the rowdies in front of me who were funny and entertaining even when the Sox were giving up all those runs in the 2nd. To the Pirates fan who wore the Jason Bay jersey and waved the Pirates banner after they were leading 6-0, I hope you at least enjoyed visiting our ballpark. :D:

whitesox901
06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

jabrch
06-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Guys:

Lip

When do we next play on turf? End of July when we go to Minny. Crede needs to rest a bit more frequently than we play on turf.

We were fortunate that Pablo's miscue didn't cost us a game.

JB98
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe not; but, I truly think Swisher's getting it going, and Anderson contributes greatly to this team. BA deserves to start EVERY day! How about PK/Thome platooning at DH for a bit after PK comes back?

No. On what grounds does BA deserve to start every day? He's a fourth outfielder. He's being used properly this year: Two starts a week and as a late-inning defensive replacement.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM

Are you ****ing ****ting me? First, what would be raking for BA, .750 OPS?

Second, why would you not give PK every opportunity to succeed?

Come on Frater, I know you're a BA fan and not a fan of PK, but seriously... Of coure PK gets his job back when he is healthy.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 10:09 PM
No. On what grounds does BA deserve to start every day? He's a fourth outfielder. He's being used properly this year: Two starts a week and as a late-inning defensive replacement.

Honestly, has there ever been a Sox player who does less offensively who has so many hard core fans than BA? At least Rowand turned into a solid offensive player, but BA?

chisoxfanatic
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM

BA does exactly what he's supposed to do. He's hitting much better than in previous seasons. Although his stolen bases total doesn't support this, he adds speed on the base path by being able to stretch a single into a double, be "first-and-thirded" instead of stopping on second, seemingly aware of what "extra" things he can do offensively, and then he executes. He's also the best fielding outfielder we have.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 10:13 PM
BA does exactly what he's supposed to do. He's hitting much better than in previous seasons. Although his stolen bases total doesn't support this, he adds speed on the base path by being able to stretch a single into a double, be "first-and-thirded" instead of stopping on second, seemingly aware of what "extra" things he can do offensively, and then he executes. He's also the best fielding outfielder we have.

No, he's not. I mean he's really not. His avg, OBP, SLG and OPS are all right in line with his career numbers which are now approaching a full season worth of PA and are just plain bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6196

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Are you ****ing ****ting me? First, what would be raking for BA, .750 OPS?

Second, why would you not give PK every opportunity to succeed?

Come on Frater, I know you're a BA fan and not a fan of PK, but seriously... Of coure PK gets his job back when he is healthy.

Voodoo, I'm posing a hypothetical.

What if Vazquez missed 3 weeks, and Broadway came up and went 5-0 with a 1.50 ERA? Do you give the job back to the veteran, or do you ride the hot hand? Hypothetically, "Brady or Bledsoe?" That's all I'm asking.

PeteWard
06-19-2008, 10:25 PM
For all the bad news over the past 10 games or so about Detroit climbing back in, it is good to see Cleveland slipping. Down 5-3 to the Rox in the 7th and Col. has the bags full. If this lead holds they will be 8 1/2 out.
These last three days for Cle. have been the opposite of what Detroit's sweep did for the Tigers. I want to see them down and dumpy for the end of month series vs the Sox.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Voodoo, I'm posing a hypothetical.

What if Vazquez missed 3 weeks, and Broadway came up and went 5-0 with a 1.50 ERA? Do you give the job back to the veteran, or do you ride the hot hand? Hypothetically, "Brady or Bledsoe?" That's all I'm asking.

That'd have to be one **** of a 2 week run by BA. PK has shown for several years he is capable of putting up a .850 OPS for long periods of time and driving in runs by the bushel full.

How do you bench that kind of career production for a guy who K's over 25% of the time for his career and is still doing it 23% of the time this year to date. A guy who walks one time for every 4 K's. A guy who's OBP is well under .300 as he approaches a full season of PA. He might warrant more PT, but you wouldn't bench PK/JT half the games because a guy who looks pretty freaking bad offensively had a hot couple of weeks.

Did I miss something or was he the only starter to take the collar today in a game the Sox simply manhandled Pirate pitching. I know BA has a couple of HR the past week or so, but please. He's not a good offensive player, it's that simple and even if he gets hot for a few weeks, benching your captain and cleanup hitter is a bad switch. PK would at the least deserve the chance to prove he is not going to hit this year after he comes back, but even with his craptastic last week, he was putting up an OPS of .800 in June (like he did in April) and deserves to have his job given back to him when he is healthy.

Please people, wake up. BA is a solid 4th OF. He is a good defensive substitute and has a chance to produce a bit when called on a few times a week, giving him a full time job though is simply bad baseball.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Fielder:

I suggest using Uribe at 3rd base because he has experience in the infield including as a starter at shortstop for a long time. Ozuna may have played more games specifically at 3rd base then Uribe but the point is he rarely plays to begin with. He's a back-up.

If you have to rest Joe for a game or make a late inning substitution you go with someone who knows what he's doing in the infield.

Now I don't agree with the story that Ozzie is considering using him or Ozuna at first base late in a game in an N.L. park because their experience at that position is extremely limited.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
benching your captain and cleanup hitter is a bad switch...and (he) deserves to have his job given back to him when he is healthy.

Thank you for taking time out from your anti-BA and anti-FOBA diatribe to answer the question, Drew Bledsoe. :tongue:

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Thank you for taking time out from your anti-BA and anti-FOBA diatribe to answer the question, Drew Bledsoe. :tongue:

I don't hate BA. I don't get the love that some people have for him. Maybe some day the switch clicks on, I don't know, but it's starting to look less and less likely.

Edit: Did you just compare BA to Tom Brady? And you want to know why some of us think you FOBA are off your rockers?

Blueprint1
06-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Sorry but BA is a much better player than Wise. Wise is the 4th outfielder on this team right now. When Paulie comes back you move Swisher into the outfield and BA sits. Right now you play BA over Wise. When Paulie comes back he plays and BA sits.

MeteorsSox4367
06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Picked a good day to make my first game of the season. Even down 6-0, thought the Sox still had a chance to come back. There was an older gentleman seated behind me who was from Pittsburgh and I overheard him talking about how much he liked Chicago and how much he enjoyed the Cell.

I also now proudly hold the distinction of witnessing pitching great Phil Dumatrait get his butt kicked by two different teams (Sox, Nats) in two different stadiums (Cell, RFK) while pitching for two different teams (Reds, Pirates) in the last two seasons.

I know it ain't much, but at least I got that goin' for me.

DickAllen72
06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
It is what it is. It can't be denied that for most of this season, the middle of the lineup had not been pulling their weight. Thome may be over the hill or may be just off to a very bad start--time will tell. He has been looking a little better lately but still not like he used to be yet.

Konerko has been hampered by a sore thumb and except for a couple of very brief periods when he showed flashes of coming around, has not produced hence the term "dead weight." Hopefully this stint on the DL will give his thumb a chance to heal along with his oblique and also a mental break and he comes back strong. If he does, I won't be eating crow. I'll be cheering him on just as I have been all season and every year he's been with the Sox. My observation that he has been dead weight bogging down the middle of the lineup early this season is an unfortunate fact and nothing else.

sullythered
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
It is what it is. It can't be denied that for most of this season, the middle of the lineup had not been pulling their weight.
I might be splitting hairs, but haven't TCQ and JD been a part of "the middle of the lineup" for most of the year?

manders_01
06-19-2008, 11:08 PM
:indianslose

I'd like to see the Rockies continue manhandle the AL Central. They already got us out of the way so it can only help now! :redneck

DickAllen72
06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
I might be splitting hairs, but haven't TCQ and JD been a part of "the middle of the lineup" for most of the year?
Yes, you are splitting hairs. And for a good part of the early season, Quentin was down at the bottom of the lineup. Dye wasn't really hot at first either, especially in clutch situations.

But of course the point was that the two highest paid sluggers, the DH and the Cleanup hitter, were both hitting near the Mendoza line for most of the season. I think it's fair to say that it was the middle of the lineup that was not doing it's job until recently. I don't understand why that is so hard for some fans to admit. Just because someone acknowledges what is plainly true doesn't mean they no longer like those players or are no longer fans pulling for them to come out of their slumps.

If Carlos Quentin were to go 0 for his next 50 ABs and someone commented that he's been in a bad slump lately, would that person have to eat crow if the next day he went on a tear and wound up winning the triple crown?

I hope Thome and Konerko both end up hitting 40 home runs by the end of the year and Konerko is named MVP of the 2008 World Series. It still won't change the fact that for the first couple of months they have been a drag on the offense.

hawkjt
06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
I bet that PK still ends up with 30+ homers and 90 Rbis.
BA is doing his job well and I am pleased with his contribution.
BA will start vs Lilly tomorrow and if he comes thru he might get another start vs. Marquis. Then put wise out there for dempster. Pick and choose their spots depending on matchups.

I hope seeing so many lefties in a week (5 of 6) help us with Lilly tomorrow.
I wish PK was healthy for the cubs tho...he kills the cubs.

It's Dankerific
06-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Caught up late to the BA Hate. Hilarious as always. He went 0-4 today, so he sucks. who cares about anything else. 2nd inning, with 2 men on and 0 outs, he drove the ball, like he's supposed to, to get the man on 2nd to 3rd with one out. You know, when we were behind, ie: when it counts. But hell, he did strike out after the game was back into control instead of getting the runners moved over that one time today, and went 0 fer in a game that we CRUSHED the other team, so **** him. Im more impressed when hes the guy getting 2 hits when the rest of the team is getting none than disappointed when hes got no hits when the rest of the team is scoring enough runs for 2 games.

offense isnt everything. period.

funny how he isn't offensively raking with the inconsistent playing time he gets.

also interesting to note, that OZZIE says he loves how BA is performing and contributing to the team and how hard a job he has and how he produces when he (ozzie) asks him to. so, as many people on this board preach, I'll take ozzie's word for it.

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Edit: Did you just compare BA to Tom Brady?

No! I posed a hypothetical. I used the well-known Bledsoe/Brady debate for illustration purposes only.

It's Dankerific
06-20-2008, 06:08 AM
No! I posed a hypothetical. I used the well-known Bledsoe/Brady debate for illustration purposes only.

BA is more of a Peyton Manning....

jabrch
06-20-2008, 07:10 AM

No really - CQ started the season in the bottom of the order. Ozzie later moved him up.

Cuck the Fubs
06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
BA is more of a Peyton Manning....

:?: huh? :?:

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Caught up late to the BA Hate. Hilarious as always. He went 0-4 today, so he sucks. who cares about anything else. 2nd inning, with 2 men on and 0 outs, he drove the ball, like he's supposed to, to get the man on 2nd to 3rd with one out. You know, when we were behind, ie: when it counts. But hell, he did strike out after the game was back into control instead of getting the runners moved over that one time today, and went 0 fer in a game that we CRUSHED the other team, so **** him. Im more impressed when hes the guy getting 2 hits when the rest of the team is getting none than disappointed when hes got no hits when the rest of the team is scoring enough runs for 2 games.

offense isnt everything. period.

funny how he isn't offensively raking with the inconsistent playing time he gets.

also interesting to note, that OZZIE says he loves how BA is performing and contributing to the team and how hard a job he has and how he produces when he (ozzie) asks him to. so, as many people on this board preach, I'll take ozzie's word for it.

I like how BA contributes to the team too. In his current role he is just fine. I don't want to bench either of our power hitting middle lineup veteran DH/1B for him though and that's the part I take exception to. I have all season and I will continue to do so until the kid starts putting up offensive numbers worthy of playing every day.

Edit: Oh and for the record if the FOBA's would learn how to turn down the volume they might get a better response, but the over the top comparisons (BA isn't even as good as Drew Bledsoe), statements not supported by facts (his offense is better this year) and refusal to accept that their hero is fallible at best is what causes the strong reactions. In short, it's not BA it's FOBA who cause me to point out (repeatedly) that he's not that good of a player because ya'll keep trying to find ways to give Mr. Mediocrity more PT at the expense of guys who actually can hit.

palehozenychicty
06-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I like how BA contributes to the team too. In his current role he is just fine. I don't want to bench either of our power hitting middle lineup veteran DH/1B for him though and that's the part I take exception to. I have all season and I will continue to do so until the kid starts putting up offensive numbers worthy of playing every day.

Edit: Oh and for the record if the FOBA's would learn how to turn down the volume they might get a better response, but the over the top comparisons (BA isn't even as good as Drew Bledsoe), statements not supported by facts (his offense is better this year) and refusal to accept that their hero is fallible at best is what causes the strong reactions. In short, it's not BA it's FOBA who cause me to point out (repeatedly) that he's not that good of a player because ya'll keep trying to find ways to give Mr. Mediocrity more PT at the expense of guys who actually can hit.

Nor do you hope to have to, either by injury or age. The reality is that up until now, Thome and Konerko were not hitting very well. Thome is showing signs of life, but teams no longer fear him. Konerko will hopefully rebound after the DL, but we'll see.

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Nor do you hope to have to, either by injury or age. The reality is that up until now, Thome and Konerko were not hitting very well. Thome is showing signs of life, but teams no longer fear him. Konerko will hopefully rebound after the DL, but we'll see.

With any luck at all, BA will perform well enough these next few weeks to draw some trade interest even if for some low level minor leaguer. I see no reason Wise can't do what BA has been doing for the team this year but add more base stealing potential and a LH PH bat off the bench.

jabrch
06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
With any luck at all, BA will perform well enough these next few weeks to draw some trade interest even if for some low level minor leaguer. I see no reason Wise can't do what BA has been doing for the team this year but add more base stealing potential and a LH PH bat off the bench.

BA is a much better defender than Wise can ever hope to be. I wouldn't give up BA for a low level minor leaguer. He's got more value to us as a 4th OF than that. And I do believe that he still does have some potential to be a viable 3rd OF someday. He certainly has improved this year over recent years. That said - I'm fine with him in the role he is in right now.

ondafarm
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Not to change the topic much but I think the Pittsburg pitching coach should be dragged out and shot. I mean, his boys showed some semblance of talent but did some incredibly stupid things; like only pitching to the outside corner.

Hello, do you think the Sox hitters, or anyone playing anything more advanced than say T-ball, will figure that one out?

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Not to change the topic much but I think the Pittsburg pitching coach should be dragged out and shot. I mean, his boys showed some semblance of talent but did some incredibly stupid things; like only pitching to the outside corner.

Hello, do you think the Sox hitters, or anyone playing anything more advanced than say T-ball, will figure that one out?

Both Swish and Dye got rung up on called inside strikes yesterday.

Pear-Zin-Ski
06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Im too lazy to look...but has anyone mentioned that while its awesome that we just romped the Pirates....

its just the Pirates...the offense might be a little bit inflated because of that...not saying that our bats have not been on fire...but still...its the Pirates....

ondafarm
06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Im too lazy to look...but has anyone mentioned that while its awesome that we just romped the Pirates....

its just the Pirates...the offense might be a little bit inflated because of that...not saying that our bats have not been on fire...but still...its the Pirates....

So the Cubs being 9-3 against these same Pirates should be counted as what?

ondafarm
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Both Swish and Dye got rung up on called inside strikes yesterday.

The starter in the first game Ian Snell is the guy I was talking about. I didn't see yesterday's game, I was actually trying to do something at work.

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2008, 06:34 PM

Memo to Voodoo: Paul Konerko capital S-U-C-K-S this year. Once he's healthy, if he continues to suck, how long do you keep sending him out there, day after day? Do you do like 2003, when Paulie was in the toilet throughout the year, and Manuel continued to trot him out there so much that he may have cost the Sox a few wins? What about Thome? What if he continues to blow chunks? Do you keep trotting him out there, too?

getonbckthr
06-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Memo to Voodoo: Paul Konerko capital S-U-C-K-S this year. Once he's healthy, if he continues to suck, how long do you keep sending him out there, day after day? Do you do like 2003, when Paulie was in the toilet throughout the year, and Manuel continued to trot him out there so much that he may have cost the Sox a few wins? What about Thome? What if he continues to blow chunks? Do you keep trotting him out there, too?
There's 12 million reasons why PK has to be run out there each day.

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Well, in June PK put up a .800 OPS just like in April, so he was showing signs of waking up before he went down with the injury.

Thome has put up an OPS of .960 in June and is obviously coming around regardless of his popup today.

Again, if there was a viable offensive alternative to these two and the potential bats they bring to the lineup, I'd be all for it, but Brian .670 career OPS Anderson isn't it.

Given their history of producing both PK and JT get a LOT of slack even a full season's worth in the hope they wake up, because like it or not, there isn't a viable alternative and no matter how much you continue to scream for Brian "woohoo I doubled in the 7th" Anderson he's simply not the answer.

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2008, 06:40 PM
There's 12 million reasons why PK has to be run out there each day.

You've got that right. :rolleyes:

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 06:42 PM
You've got that right. :rolleyes:

Here's some more reasons to keep giving PK at bats...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3747

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, in June PK put up a .800 OPS just like in April, so he was showing signs of waking up before he went down with the injury.

Thome has put up an OPS of .960 in June and is obviously coming around regardless of his popup today.

Again, if there was a viable offensive alternative to these two and the potential bats they bring to the lineup, I'd be all for it, but Brian .670 career OPS Anderson isn't it.

Given their history of producing both PK and JT get a LOT of slack even a full season's worth in the hope they wake up, because like it or not, there isn't a viable alternative and no matter how much you continue to scream for Brian "woohoo I doubled in the 7th" Anderson he's simply not the answer.

I really don't give a rat's butt what BA or PK or Thome did before this year. It has no bearing - NONE - on what any of those three players can do in 2008.

getonbckthr
06-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Here's some more reasons to keep giving PK at bats...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3747
Would love to know how PK got 4 triples in 99':D:

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 06:47 PM
I really don't give a rat's butt what BA or PK or Thome did before this year. It has no bearing - NONE - on what any of those three players can do in 2008.

Okay, then what about BA's stats from this year, scream "play me over the other guys" Is it his .238 average? His .273 OBP? His 25 K's in 105 AB? His 5 BB? His .214 BA with runners on? His .205 BA with runners in scoring position?

Come on, enlighten me.

Oh and I agree, all things being equal, stats from previous years shouldn't count, but (and like mine it's a big one) all things are not equal. PK and JT are proven run producers throughout their career. Brian Anderson is not.

oeo
06-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Now that I've had some time to unwind...I'm over it. This team has stones, I have a good feeling about tomorrow.

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Okay, then what about BA's stats from this year, scream "play me over the other guys" Is it his .238 average? His .273 OBP? His 25 K's in 105 AB? His 5 BB? His .214 BA with runners on? His .205 BA with runners in scoring position?

Come on, enlighten me.

Oh and I agree, all things being equal, stats from previous years shouldn't count, but (and like mine it's a big one) all things are not equal. PK and JT are proven run producers throughout their career. Brian Anderson is not.

I never said that BA's stats "scream play me over the other guys." You are attacking straw men.

Again, I posed a hypothetical. What if BA AND Swish really hit well during this stretch? Notice that little phrase in red, bold, italicized and underlined type? You dismissed the hypothetical completely out of hand. When I posted it, BA was hitting .300 for June. What if he kept hitting .300 for June with some nice XBHs, and running the bases well (going from first to third or scoring from second on a single, etc.) and kept playing great (run-saving) defense? And what if Swisher was also was hitting .300 for June, with a nice Swisher-esque OBP, and plenty of XBHs? Do you sit one of two guys who are playing well, just to get your captain - who has been flirting with the Mendoza line all year - back in the lineup? Do you bench a hot player to bring back your "starter?" You answered the question eventually (because of past performance), but while simultaneously completely dismissing my hypothetical (as if I had claimed to be a fried egg) and dismissed me as a FOBA.
:tongue:

voodoochile
06-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I never said that BA's stats "scream play me over the other guys." You are attacking straw men.

Again, I posed a hypothetical. What if BA AND Swish really hit well during this stretch? Notice that little phrase in red, bold, italicized and underlined type? You dismissed the hypothetical completely out of hand. When I posted it, BA was hitting .300 for June. What if he kept hitting .300 for June with some nice XBHs, and running the bases well (going from first to third or scoring from second on a single, etc.) and kept playing great (run-saving) defense? And what if Swisher was also was hitting .300 for June, with a nice Swisher-esque OBP, and plenty of XBHs? Do you sit one of two guys who are playing well, just to get your captain - who has been flirting with the Mendoza line all year - back in the lineup? Do you bench a hot player to bring back your "starter?" You answered the question eventually (because of past performance), but while simultaneously completely dismissing my hypothetical (as if I had claimed to be a fried egg) and dismissed me as a FOBA.
:tongue:

If the FOBA fits...:D:

I'll take my chances with PK, JT and Swish over the other options currently available. BA can continue to play a couple times a week and as a late inning substitute.

JB98
06-20-2008, 07:14 PM
If the FOBA fits...:D:

I'll take my chances with PK, JT and Swish over the other options currently available. BA can continue to play a couple times a week and as a late inning substitute.

Sometimes I wonder whether the "play BA everyday crowd" realizes the guy is still only hitting .238.

Quentin and Ramirez have jumped up and taken everyday jobs that weren't theirs when the season started. Anderson just has not done that yet. Right now, he's getting a chance with Konerko sidelined, and he's not really doing much to distinguish himself.

Swish is starting to come around the last three or four weeks. While Thome screwed the pooch today, I've seen improvement lately. I don't think BA is going to take jobs away from either of them, or PK.

MarySwiss
06-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Frater, what is your story? Did Paulie kill your dog or something? Sheesh!

Well, I guess injury doesn't matter to some folks. Sorry, Frater, but VC is spot on here.

Frater Perdurabo
06-21-2008, 06:07 AM

No. I'm naturally a contrarian. I'm also a journalist and historian who practices the "afflict the comfortable; comfort the afflicted" mantra. I think Paulie gets way too much undeserved love. I think BA gets way to much undeserved hate. I'm trying to bring things into balance.
:D:

It's Dankerific
06-21-2008, 01:38 PM

Well, I guess injury doesn't matter to some folks. Sorry, Frater, but VC is spot on here.

If he's hurt, he shouldn't play.

balke
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
oops wrong thread. BA isn't as good as PK.

kitekrazy
06-21-2008, 06:59 PM

They are stuck with them for now. If you think about it they are the typical Sox player. They might do one thing well (hit homers) and have major flaws elsewhere. Then there is Owen who can run fast but can't get on base.
Why is it that some players who play for other teams come here and stop hitting when the others do?