PDA

View Full Version : If we don't catch Minnesota


Viva Magglio
05-06-2002, 10:31 PM
:firejerry

doublem23
05-06-2002, 10:32 PM
OK... It's May SIXTH... They've yet to play anyone above .500... Step back from the ledge, Viva.

voodoochile
05-06-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
:firejerry

See, here it is... the melting down of Sox fans... It was one loss...

Get a grip...

Viva Magglio
05-06-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


See, here it is... the melting down of Sox fans... It was one loss...

Get a grip...

I don't care. Manuel pissed the game away by leaving Osuna in there. I want wins and I want them NOW!!!!

Of course, Mágglio's brain cramp didn't help things either.

Procol Harum
05-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


See, here it is... the melting down of Sox fans... It was one loss...

Get a grip...

But it would be nice to see the stinkin' Twins start to lose against some of these doo-doo teams. We don't get a crack against these guys until the last week of June--I'd much rather whip their bootie and sink them into the furthest reaches of the division when we play them, rather than to go play catch-up at the Twinkie Dome. Here's hopin'.....

voodoochile
05-06-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!


I don't care. Manuel pissed the game away by leaving Osuna in there. I want wins and I want them NOW!!!!

Of course, Mágglio's brain cramp didn't help things either.

Yeah, I don't know what Maggs was thinking... The ball was sharply hit and Kapler had it by the time Maggs was just rounding first. I would much rather see him try to steal against Irabu then try to stretch a single against a guy with a good arm, good position and lots of time...

MattSharp
05-06-2002, 10:47 PM
I said what if the Sox blow it a few weeks ago and I got tore a new one and called a troll.....I still think it is early too, but its all good......

doublem23
05-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Bla bla bla...

Nothing but sound and fury.

DrCrawdad
05-06-2002, 11:54 PM
Twins Opponents, so far...

Twins wins-losses:
TBay 3-2
Det 6-4
KC 4-1
Tor 3-1
Cle 3-3

So they've not really faced tough opponents, yet. Plus they've racked up a ton of wins at home so far. Here are the next two months opponents for the Twins:

May
TBay 2
Det 4
KC 6
NYY 6
Tex 5
Ana 5
I'd say only 6 games vs. tough opponents (Yankees).

June
Ana 2
Cle 3
Fla 3
Atl 3
Mil 6
Phi 3
Sox 4
I'd say only 7 tough games in June (Sox & Atlanta).

By comparison the Sox have 11 games in May vs. tough opponents (Seattle, Oakland, Boston & Yankees).

June? The Sox have 16 tough games (Mets, Cubs, Atlanta & Min).

bjmarte
05-07-2002, 12:25 AM
This whole "their schedule is easier than ours" thing is already starting to sound like an excuse. Not that it isn't true, I am just objecting to the way it is starting to be used. Not that I am against making an excuse once it is needed, but that is a long way off. I think the Sox are the better team by enough of a margin that they won't have a problem catching and passing the twins in spite of the schedule.

FarWestChicago
05-07-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte
This whole "their schedule is easier than ours" thing is already starting to sound like an excuse. Not that it isn't true, I am just objecting to the way it is starting to be used. Not that I am against making an excuse once it is needed, but that is a long way off. I think the Sox are the better team by enough of a margin that they won't have a problem catching and passing the twins in spite of the schedule. The whole point is the schedule will even out eventually. I think people are just tyring to keep those inclined to panic away from the razor blades. :smile:

GASHWOUND
05-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Twins Opponents, so far...

Twins wins-losses:
TBay 3-2
Det 6-4
KC 4-1
Tor 3-1
Cle 3-3

So they've not really faced tough opponents, yet. Plus they've racked up a ton of wins at home so far. Here are the next two months opponents for the Twins:

May
TBay 2
Det 4
KC 6
NYY 6
Tex 5
Ana 5
I'd say only 6 games vs. tough opponents (Yankees).

June
Ana 2
Cle 3
Fla 3
Atl 3
Mil 6
Phi 3
Sox 4
I'd say only 7 tough games in June (Sox & Atlanta).

By comparison the Sox have 11 games in May vs. tough opponents (Seattle, Oakland, Boston & Yankees).

June? The Sox have 16 tough games (Mets, Cubs, Atlanta & Min).

Yeah, the Twinkies haven't even faced a team over .500! which is amazin, the Twinkies have had it alot easier and have t alot easier in the upcoming months as I see it.
:notwinks

Tragg
05-07-2002, 12:36 AM
Well, we are only a game out of first.

But it's becoming apparent that Manuel is not up to this challenge. Someone put it well on the ESPN board- manuel is a pretty good developmental manager.
But strategy (and there isn't much rocket science here) it's becoming apparent that he is beyond his depth.
I am not on the "fire jerry" bandwagon yet, but I am inching closer. Our inability to win close games, coupled with dubious managerial moves in those close games, is wearing on me.

DrCrawdad
05-07-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte
This whole "their schedule is easier than ours" thing is already starting to sound like an excuse. Not that it isn't true, I am just objecting to the way it is starting to be used. Not that I am against making an excuse once it is needed, but that is a long way off. I think the Sox are the better team by enough of a margin that they won't have a problem catching and passing the twins in spite of the schedule.

Well I don't believe that plainly stating a fact is an excuse. The fact is that the Twins schedule is potentially easier than the Sox is April - June.

This doesn't mean that they'll win them all or even the majority. The Sox lost a supposedly easy series to the Royals in April. The Twins have been swept by Detroit and by a hot Indian team.

The Sox need to win series, not just games - if you know what I mean. They need to bounce back from this tough loss and win the next three as they did in Cleveland. As long as the Sox win series then they should win the division.

I'll really be interested to see what the Sox do when they face the Twins. If the Sox get spanked like last year, then I don't have much faith that they'll win the division. Humiliating losses like last season vs. the Twins would really be a downer.

- DrCrawdad.

RedPinStripes
05-07-2002, 01:06 AM
You might want want to change this thread to:

If The Twinkies played any real teams , the Sox would have a 5 game lead.

Stop panicing, and wait for the twinkies to play seattle, oakland, yankmees, boston, and the Sox. They will never stay where they are. The Sox have played much better through this stretch then critics gave credit for.

Manuel needs to be a AAA manager though. He's a Class A moron

DrCrawdad
05-07-2002, 01:45 AM
The way I see it July - Sept...

Minn 40 tough games
Sox 27 tough games

RedPinStripes
05-07-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
The way I see it July - Sept...

Minn 40 tough games
Sox 27 tough games

Yup. good deal. :gulp:

ma-gaga
05-07-2002, 09:21 AM
That's right. Even with the unbalanced schedule, this season it will even itself out. What I think will be amazing (at least what i hope will be amazing) will be the last 3 series of the year; September 20-29 will decide the season.

6 games vs the Twins. I hope it comes down to those last 6 games. Assuming they are still playing...

Silly thread. :)

Iwritecode
05-07-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Well I don't believe that plainly stating a fact is an excuse. The fact is that the Twins schedule is potentially easier than the Sox is April - June.

This doesn't mean that they'll win them all or even the majority. The Sox lost a supposedly easy series to the Royals in April. The Twins have been swept by Detroit and by a hot Indian team.

The Sox need to win series, not just games - if you know what I mean. They need to bounce back from this tough loss and win the next three as they did in Cleveland. As long as the Sox win series then they should win the division.

I'll really be interested to see what the Sox do when they face the Twins. If the Sox get spanked like last year, then I don't have much faith that they'll win the division. Humiliating losses like last season vs. the Twins would really be a downer.

- DrCrawdad.

I agree with everything said here. The Twins schedule has been much easier thus far. Although that's the way it works and you still have to beat the teams you play, good or bad. It will even out in the second half when the Sox schedule starts to lighten up a little bit. Just think though, even though the Sox schedule has been much tougher, they are still only a game back.

Winning each series is really the way to look at it. You can't look at each individual loss and threaten to jump off the nearest bridge every time. If they keep winning 2 of 3 and 3 of 4 they they will be just fine. Even 2 of 4 isn't too bad. There's still three games left in this series and 2 of them have Burly and Ritchie starting. Even Glover has been a good starter in the past. I feel more comfortable seeing him rather than Rauch or Parque. I think we'll be just fine. :smile:

Also, beating the Twins is going to be the key to this season. They need to at least split the season series. I've always said that if they could've just done that last year, we might have seen the post season again.

hold2dibber
05-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Although the Sox definitely have a tougher schedule during the first half, don't forget that the Twins have been winning despite the fact that Guzman, Mays and Vina (? - whoever their everyday second baseman is) have been out with injuries. The Twins are a good team that will get better when those guys return. That said, I think their bullpen has pitched over their heads to some extent. But I don't think the Twins are going to fade like they did last year. I think this will be a two horse race all the way to the wire.

Foulke You
05-07-2002, 02:54 PM
The Twins are a team built for sucess in the Twinkee Dome. I am interested to see how they react to playing a tough road stretch like the one we had early in the year. It's been established already that the Sox and Twins play very well at home. I think it will come down to whoever plays better on the road.

Plus the Sox in a bigger market would be more likely to pull the trigger on a deadline trade then the contraction candidates from Minnesota. A big trade could tip the balance to one team. It also remains to be seen if Minnesota can hang with the big boys in the AL.

Chisox353014
05-07-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The Twins are a team built for sucess in the Twinkee Dome. I am interested to see how they react to playing a tough road stretch like the one we had early in the year. It's been established already that the Sox and Twins play very well at home. I think it will come down to whoever plays better on the road.


The Twins are 6-10 on the road so far. And that is against Toronto, Tampa, Detroit, and Kansas City (also known as "the 4 worst teams in the American League"), plus Cleveland. We'll see what happens when they go west.
Meanwhile the Sox' 1-6 road record against the AL West is what's killed them so far this year. We're 6-3 against the Central on the road and have won every home series.

ma-gaga
05-07-2002, 05:33 PM
The Twins are 6-10 on the road so far. And that is against Toronto, Tampa, Detroit, and Kansas City (also known as "the 4 worst teams in the American League"), plus Cleveland.

The Twins are a little too streaky. Of that 6-10 road record, that includes a 4 game sweep by Cleveland and a 3 game sweep by Detroit. For them to seriously compete, they need to be able to avoid such funks.

0.700 home/0.400 road = 89 games.

Rivas is their second baseman.