PDA

View Full Version : Mariners fire McLaren now

Sockinchisox
06-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Looks like they're gonna clean house.

Mariners axe McLaren (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2008006322_webmari19.html)

doublem23
06-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Jerry Manuel takes over for the Mets and now Jim Riggleman is in charge of the M's. I bet Don Baylor, Terry Bevington, and Gene Lamont are anxiously sitting by their telephones.

kba
06-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Riggleman joins an pretty exclusive club. Between Durocher and Piniella, the Cubs have had sixteen managers (who've managed more than 20 games.) After leaving the Cubs, only five ever managed again in the major leagues- Jim Marshall, Lee Elia, Jim Lefebvre, Dusty Baker, and now Riggleman.

For comparison, seven of the eleven ex-Sox managers during that time found managing jobs elsewhere.

High Mileage
06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Time to start the firesale...

palehozenychicty
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Well, they couldn't justify keeping him after they canned his boss. They have a lot of work to do. I don't envy them.

ondafarm
06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Riggleman joins an pretty exclusive club. Between Durocher and Piniella, the Cubs have had sixteen managers (who've managed more than 20 games.) After leaving the Cubs, only five ever managed again in the major leagues- Jim Marshall, Lee Elia, Jim Lefebvre, Dusty Baker, and now Riggleman.

For comparison, seven of the eleven ex-Sox managers during that time found managing jobs elsewhere.

Not questioning your accuracy but asking for the list.

Obviously Larussa, Torborg and now Manuel. Lamont and the Rooster, I think. But who else? Not Bevington.

kba
06-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Obviously Larussa, Torborg and now Manuel. Lamont and the Rooster, I think. But who else? Not Bevington.

The seven ex-Sox managers who got other managing jobs: Tanner, Lemon, LaRussa, Fregosi, Torborg, Lamont, and Manuel.

The four who never managed again: Richards, Doby, Kessinger, and Bevington.

High Mileage
06-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, they couldn't justify keeping him after they canned his boss. They have a lot of work to do. I don't envy them.
They are owned by Nintendo, I don't pity them...

doublem23
06-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Working backwards, the last 11 ex-Sox managers were:

Jerry Manuel, who up until Tuesday hadn't managed since being relieved by the Sox in 2003.
Terry Bevington, who has not managed in the Majors since he was fired in 1997.
Gene Lamont, who managed the Pirates from 1997-2000.
Jeff Torborg, who managed the Mets, Expos, and Marlins after the White Sox.
Jim Fregosi, who managed the Sox 1986-1988, went on to manage the Phillies and Blue Jays.
Doug Rader, who managed the Sox for 2 games in 1986 between La Russa and Fregosi managed the Angels from 1989-1991.
Tony La Russa, has managed the A's and Cardinals for almost 2,500 games since leaving the Sox in 1986.
Don Kessinger managed the Sox for the 1st 106 games in 1979 and never managed again.
Larry Doby managed the Sox for the last 87 games in 1978 and never managed again.
Bob Lemon managed the Sox for 236 games between 1977 and 1978 and would then go on to managed the Yankees for 172 games spread out over 4 seasons.
Paul Richards, who previously managed the Sox and Orioles for over 1,600 games between 1951-1961, managed the Sox for the 1976 season but never did again after that.That's 7 by my count.

goofymsfan
06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Time to start the firesale...

While I know this is just the latest move to clean house, I see them keeping a core of guys. I see Richie Sexson and Jose Vidro being canned if not now, certainly at the end of the season. I see them trading Arthur Rhodes.

Not sure what they are going to do with Jamie Burke or Kenji for that matter. I know they have had Kenji taking some grounders at first but he's not happy about the prospect of playing first.

Beltre might also be let go but I see them keeping him for maybe one more year to give Matt Tuiasosopo more time to adjust as he his just starting to come around at AAA.

Of the Starters, I'd say Miguel Batista, Carlos Silva, and Jarrod Washburn would be up for grabs.

kba
06-19-2008, 05:06 PM
That's 7 by my count.

I didn't count Rader's two-game managing stint for the Sox. Nor did I count guys like Charlie Fox, Frank Lucchesi, or Joe Altobelli, who did short stints in the Cubs' dugout.

Thigpen "57"
06-19-2008, 06:01 PM
This move is deifinetly no surprise. More deserving than the Randolph firing(guess the Mets had to start somewhere).

I for one actullay thought the Mariners would be a pleasant surprise in the West this year against Anaheim. Not division winners, but strong contenders. After the lose Sexson, they could actually develop a nice young base.

McLaren seemed to be a pretty good guy and manager. Too bad his players got him fired though! They, like the Mets players, probably need someone to take charge of the clubhousewhen needed, while "gettin" their backs too.. a la Ozzie.

goofymsfan
06-19-2008, 09:41 PM
This move is deifinetly no surprise. More deserving than the Randolph firing(guess the Mets had to start somewhere).

I for one actullay thought the Mariners would be a pleasant surprise in the West this year against Anaheim. Not division winners, but strong contenders. After the lose Sexson, they could actually develop a nice young base.

McLaren seemed to be a pretty good guy and manager. Too bad his players got him fired though! They, like the Mets players, probably need someone to take charge of the clubhousewhen needed, while "gettin" their backs too.. a la Ozzie.

That's definitely the truth. Last year they had Jose Guillen, but Bavasi let him walk. There is no one in the clubhouse to light a fire under the butts of the guys when they need a kick in the ass!

Ziggy S
06-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Jerry Manuel takes over for the Mets and now Jim Riggleman is in charge of the M's. I bet Don Baylor, Terry Bevington, and Gene Lamont are anxiously sitting by their telephones.

Thanks a lot, man. Now you will awaken the Timbertroll AKA WSI's/almost every sports web site's version of the dude on the South Park WOW episode that kept killing everyone's character and I don't know if what anyone here could create equals The Sword of A Thousand Truths. How do you kill that which has no life?

palehozenychicty
06-20-2008, 09:23 AM
They are owned by Nintendo, I don't pity them...

Me neither, but their organization is such a mess that they need to hire a ton of executives and revamp their farm system, since they gave it away for a dud like Bedard.

ondafarm
06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I didn't count Rader's two-game managing stint for the Sox. Nor did I count guys like Charlie Fox, Frank Lucchesi, or Joe Altobelli, who did short stints in the Cubs' dugout.

Tanner and Lemon I knew about and Fregosi I couldn't come up with the name but knew the nickname.

In short, thank God nobody hired Bevington. And to think Jerry Manuel was actually a step up at one time.