PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Wishes the Cubs a "Happy Anniversary"

ws05champs
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Some interesting comments by KW regarding the Cubs and their fans. Hope it doesn't becom poster board material:

Linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=teamreports-2008-mlb-chw&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report)

It's Time
06-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Like it or dislike it?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1013628,CST-SPT-soxnt19.article

IMO, it just fuels the stereotype, especially when it's coming from the GM.

Mods: I forgot an N in anniversary. :/

soxfan21
06-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I read that this morning as well. Got a little laugh out of it.

twentywontowin
06-19-2008, 11:08 AM
We definitely have the momentum going into tomorrow. Now we just have to back up our words.

spiffie
06-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Kenny is obviously flubsessed, and an embarassment to Sox fans. Can't he just focus on the White Sox, instead of always worrying about the other team. The only time any Sox fan should care about them are when play those annoying 6 interleague games that any real Sox fan wishes were 6 more AL-only games against Seattle and Baltimore and other important games like that.

There, did that cover all the standard responses whenever the Cubs come up?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Like it or dislike it?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1013628,CST-SPT-soxnt19.article

:dunno: what stereotype are you referring to?

I like how honest KW is and that he didn't try to take a diplomatic approach. A lot of people here would be up in arms if he had said positive things about the Cubs or that he would welcome the Cubs GM job.

btrain929
06-19-2008, 11:11 AM
The only thing I don't understand is the thing about deep pockets. Aren't the Cubs and Sox salary pretty similar?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Kenny is obviously flubsessed, and an embarassment to Sox fans. Can't he just focus on the White Sox, instead of always worrying about the other team. The only time any Sox fan should care about them are when play those annoying 6 interleague games that any real Sox fan wishes were 6 more AL-only games against Seattle and Baltimore and other important games like that.

I'd like to note that KW was asked about the Cubs he didn't just volunteer his opinions. I get the feeling that the local writers want to bait KW and Ozzie to stir up controversy and sell more papers.

It's Time
06-19-2008, 11:14 AM
:dunno: what stereotype are you referring to?

How about: "I don't care about the Cubs" when asked a question about them?".

To me, this smacks of a guy who is pretty ticked off about the Cubs for whatever reason. Kenny, you have the ring and until they get one, take the high road.

oeo
06-19-2008, 11:15 AM
The only thing I don't understand is the thing about deep pockets. Aren't the Cubs and Sox salary pretty similar?

It mentions how the Cubs are willing to throw their money at anyone...no matter how much it takes. Soriano is a glaring example of that.

Torii Hunter would be wearing a White Sox uniform if the Sox were the same way.

DSpivack
06-19-2008, 11:15 AM

Yes, but (until they are sold) the Cubs have the Tribune Corporation backing them. I suppose that the collected shareholders of the White Sox are not as deep-pocketed.

doublem23
06-19-2008, 11:16 AM
To me, this smacks of a guy who is pretty ticked off about the Cubs for whatever reason. Kenny, you have the ring and until they get one, take the high road.

Whatever, it's sports, it's supposed to be fun. He's not negotiating a hostage situation.

Bring 'em on.

oeo
06-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Because the Cubs get all the attention in this town...

Maybe I'm in the minority, but it's about damn time the organization starts speaking out about the obvious biases.

I just hope our guys come ready to play. It's a series-to-series thing with this offense. Hopefully that sweep at the Cell last year is still fresh in their minds, and they kick some Cubbie ass.

White City
06-19-2008, 11:17 AM
So should the Sox hand out "Happy Anniversary" greeting cards to visiting Cubs fans next week?

SoxGirl4Life
06-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Salaries maybe. But I don't think you can't even put the income vs spending in the same stratosphere. In my opinion, the cubs have more to spend, even when the spend the same.

It's Time
06-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Whatever, it's sports, it's supposed to be fun. He's not negotiating a hostage situation.

Bring 'em on.

He is not happy and he was not having fun. He really is upset about the Cubs.

It's Time
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
So should the Sox hand out "Happy Anniversary" greeting cards to visiting Cubs fans next week?

Time to put a patent on that. :D:

spawn
06-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I like the idea of having it on a t-shirt.

It's Time
06-19-2008, 11:23 AM

Perhaps put it on the scoreboard?

Cat Thief
06-19-2008, 11:23 AM

Maybe too you he is. I'm good.

Hokiesox
06-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Perhaps he's referring to the fact that the Cubs just throw money at the latest hyped player at each position while the Sox strategically sign scouted players and make shrewd trades? :scratch:

doublem23
06-19-2008, 11:27 AM

How do you know he's not happy? 6 months ago, people around here and baseball were going crazy, saying that KW was a "moron" and an "idiot" for not imploding the roster and trying to start from scratch. He was a buffoon because he didn't care how the Knights, Barons, or Intimidators did, but built his roster the way he wanted. Now, the Sox have the cushiest lead of any division leader and are playing better than just about anyone could have expected.

If I were Williams, every morning I opened up the newspaper and saw the Sox at the top of the division, I'd laugh and laugh and laugh.

:KW
Life's good.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
He answered questions specific to the Crosstown series, which he answered. He was asked hout it would be to be a spendthrift GM, and he answered. He asked the media what would happen if the Sox won again before the Cubs, and got no answer.

Look at it this way - he refuses to respond or makes a general statement of "We don't care about the Cubs", he gets slammed for "ignoring" the significance of the 1st place Crosstown matchup. He answers questions POSED to him, and now he's an embarrassment. Some media people will look at this as his trying to instigate something. In this town, the man cannot win.

Lighten up. I like the article - it is the KW I expect. Say what you mean, mean what you say.

hi im skot
06-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Kenny Williams: Uber-TUFF

kobo
06-19-2008, 11:44 AM
You can tell all that from reading a couple quotes in a newspaper article?

It's Time
06-19-2008, 11:50 AM

I think it's pretty safe to say he does not like the Cubs, or is not happy about they're place in town when the quote is: "Happy anniversary". That is a direct shot at the Cubs, something that someone would say when they are provoked or ticked off.

russ99
06-19-2008, 11:51 AM

No, I didn't see that at all. He's just commenting on the state of affairs. Had we made the playoffs since 2005 things may have been different, but the championship buzz is long gone, and the media is in love with all things Cubs more than usual due to the "grand anniversary". Case in point, on Comcast Sports Night: We clobber the Pirates, and Buerhle flirts with a no hitter again - and the Cubs lose, but they're still the lead story.

The Sox seem like a forgotten team again. I hope that changes back a bit after this weekend. :cool:

MsSoxVixen22
06-19-2008, 11:53 AM

I would be too. Here he's the GM of the Sox and they're asking him about the Cubs? Leave it to the writers in this town to stir up controversy. Are they asking Lou Pinella about the Sox? I think it's amusing that Kenny said Happy Anniversary. It's a subtle **** you. I think though, just to save himself the aggrevation to just say I'm here to talk about the White Sox when he's asked about the Cubs in the future.

Something does need to be done about the media bias in this town though because it's getting out of hand. I hope the Sox kick ass and take name this weekend!

oeo
06-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Are they asking Lou Pinella about the Sox?

Of course not. Piniella has gone soft...he's a snooze fest these days. His post game interviews can put you to sleep.

asindc
06-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I saw nothing embarrassing about his comments, and I'm often annoyed by the Cubsession of a few Sox fans. I really like his response to what would happen if we won another before they did, and the reporter saying nothing would change. "Well, I intend to find out."

It's Time
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Of course not. Piniella has gone soft...he's a snooze fest these days. His post game interviews can put you to sleep.

If and when the Cubs start to hit a major skid, comedy gold will return. :D:

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 11:57 AM

Starting this afternoon about 5 PM ET, every Sox fan is allowed to be flubsessed for the next 100 hours or so.

Kenny cracking me up...

tebman
06-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Great line from KW about really, really needing a job before he'd consider working for the Cubs. :redneck

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Um yeah, normally, but the Sox and flubs actually play each other this weekend and next weekend too.

KW just trying to have some fun and feed the impression that these games mean more than they do.

asindc
06-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Mods should merge this with other thread.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM

How you can read that with anything but your tongue firmly planted in your cheek is beyond me. Take a look at the picture in that article. Kenny's nearly cracking up.

It's Time
06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
How you can read that with anything but your tongue firmly planted in your cheek is beyond me. Take a look at the picture in that article. Kenny's nearly cracking up.

That picture was not taken yesterday.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
That picture was not taken yesterday.

And you know this how? If you look at the blown up version, it has 6/19/08 in the title.

Of course I wouldn't expect anything else from you. You just want to rip on Kenny. Nothing more, nothing less, any excuse will do...

It's Time
06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
And you know this how? If you look at the blown up version, it has 6/19/08 in the title.

Of course I wouldn't expect anything else from you. You just want to rip on Kenny. Nothing more, nothing less, any excuse will do...

Voodoo, look at the Blue seats in the picture.:wink: The Cell does not have blue anymore.

voodoochile
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Voodoo, look at the Blue seats in the picture.:wink: The Cell does not have blue anymore.

Okay then...

Mohoney
06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
This is just a GM trying to get his team fired up for a huge series. It happens all the time in sports.

skobabe8
06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say he does not like the Cubs, or is not happy about they're place in town when the quote is: "Happy anniversary". That is a direct shot at the Cubs, something that someone would say when they are provoked or ticked off.

You and I read the same article and have 2 completely different interpretations of it.

DumpJerry
06-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Memo to KW:

It's not just an anniversary. Anniversaries happen every year.

This is a Centennial!

White City
06-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Memo to KW:

This is a Centennial!

Shall we christen it the "Cry Centennial Celebration?" Because the Cubs sucked in 1976, too.

Perhaps the Sox should wear their 1906 unis for the ESPN game.

jackbrohamer
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Memo to KW:

This is a Centennial!

Well done! A goal (very very low on my list but still a goal) is to live long enough to watch the Cubs celebrate their Sesquicentennial in the 2058 season. I believe that Soriano's contract will still be in effect then.

rocky biddle
06-19-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't think he was referring to the Cubs ballclub. He was talking about Cub fans. He said that a certain portion of baseball fans in this city chose to ignore the Sox '05 championship, so they can instead enjoy their team not having won anything in 100 years. I read as a reap what you sow kind of thing.

I don't know. I really hate the crosstown games.

hawkjt
06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Kenny keeps it spicy...good. Its a rivalry. Its a game. Have fun with it.
Go Sox. Beat the bucs.

MetroPD
06-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Kenny must be taking cues from Ozzie. Good.

soxpride724
06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
**** the Cubs and their fans. Kenny could have said alot worse, now these Cubbie fans are all crying over what Kenny said, so what.

DickAllen72
06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Like it or dislike it?

I love it.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Ozzie's now in the "spirit" of things...

"One thing about Sox fans, they show up and watch the game. Some people go to Wrigley Field -- I'm not going to say everyone -- some people go to Wrigley Field from Europe and Paris and want to have a tour of the game. No one wants to have a tour here. They're legit fans."

LOL

Right on Ozzie.

Lip

ChiSoxFan7
06-19-2008, 07:38 PM
this is amazing. i really enjoy the non diplomatic stance he takes here. if most of us were asked these questions we'd probably answer in a similar fashion.

It's the first time i've ever heard him talking like this so maybe there's more to the story....but i really really like his blunt honesty here:D:

:worship:IN KENNY WE TRUST:superman:

TheCommander
06-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Maybe they can show this video in between innings:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DINuAWoxy4Q

Soxman219
06-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Right on Kenny!

Cuck the Fubs, there fans think they are always entitled to win the WS every year. They always make excuses for their teams not doing well and the media buys into it. Here's how it goes down. Even if the Sox win this series this weekend, the media will find excuses. If the Sox lose this series, the media will rip into the Sox. Hell, if the Sox are in a playoff run, I 'm 100% sure Cubs fans get more coverage.

The only thing we can do is win. The more we win, the more other people outside Chicago we look and see how dumb the majority of the city is for supporting a losing team.

PennStater98r
06-19-2008, 09:41 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1897246#post1897246

I am the trend setter!

PeteWard
06-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Gee I wonder if the windsock will blow this out of proportion and make a hypocritical ass of himself again? :scratch:

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I like KW's attitude. Now let's back it up by winning games against them! If we fail, the media will poop in our faces all weekend.

MarySwiss
06-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Gee I wonder if the windsock will blow this out of proportion and make a hypocritical ass of himself again? :scratch:
Yes.

white sox bill
06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
As much as I like KW's candidcy, between him,Oz and Danks I hope all this trash talk doesn't come back to bite us! Karma's a you know what. Am I the only one worried about this?:?:

cheezheadsoxfan
06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
I would be too. Here he's the GM of the Sox and they're asking him about the Cubs? Leave it to the writers in this town to stir up controversy. Are they asking Lou Pinella about the Sox? I think it's amusing that Kenny said Happy Anniversary. It's a subtle **** you. I think though, just to save himself the aggrevation to just say I'm here to talk about the White Sox when he's asked about the Cubs in the future.

Something does need to be done about the media bias in this town though because it's getting out of hand. I hope the Sox kick ass and take name this weekend!

Very good point. The inference is that it would be an honor to work for the Cubs. Good for Kenny for his remarks.

Gammons Peter
06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
love it! whenever somebody tells me the're a cub fan, I'm going to tell them
Happy Anniversary!