PDA

View Full Version : Thome to play 1st base

gogosox16
06-19-2008, 07:26 AM
possibly at wrigley.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080618&content_id=2956623&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Madvora
06-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Also in the Tribune today.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080618-jim-thome-chicago-white-sox-cubs,1,5809594.story

Swisher, Thome and Anderson have got some hits lately, so I guess we would be fine with any two of those three.

Bucky F. Dent
06-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Both from a defensive standpoint and a potential injury standpoint, I don't like the idea of having the big fella' out there at first.

White City
06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Maybe they want him to get hurt (now, rather than later) so that he doesn't meet his at-bats quota and enact the $13 million option for next year. That way, they don't look like jerks later in the year by intentionally benching him (see: Toronto Blue Jays and Frank Thomas).

I'm not sure if I intend this to be teal or not.

ondafarm
06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Maybe they want him to get hurt (now, rather than later) so that he doesn't meet his at-bats quota and enact the $13 million option for next year. That way, they don't look like jerks later in the year by intentionally benching him (see: Toronto Blue Jays and Frank Thomas).

Is JR really that cheap? Or should I say chintzy? Yeah, I guess he is. I don't think that is the reason Thome might play first though.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-19-2008, 09:16 AM

Yes, it should be teal. Lighten up. The Blue Jays' situation and the WS situation aren't comparable.

I don't like the idea of JT out there to possibly get hurt, but he did play 1st when he was with the Phillies and he's played limited 1B during IL before. If nothing else, it gives up options defensively with BA and Swish.

eriqjaffe
06-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Maybe they want him to get hurt (now, rather than later) so that he doesn't meet his at-bats quota and enact the $13 million option for next year.Dang, I hadn't noticed that the option becomes guaranteed if Thome has enough PAs between last year and this year.

TomBradley72
06-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Huge mistake. Risk of injury plus weakened defense at 1st base. Is it really he end of the world if we just let Swisher play 1st and Thome is available to pinch hit? Right when Swisher is heating up and Anderson is playing well...this is a very stupid move if Ozzie does this.

balke
06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Huge mistake. Risk of injury plus weakened defense at 1st base. Is it really he end of the world if we just let Swisher play 1st and Thome is available to pinch hit? Right when Swisher is heating up and Anderson is playing well...this is a very stupid move if Ozzie does this.

If its the best way to rest Vets, and get Thome in v. Righties its not dumb. Thome is a huge Cubs fan (http://www.theheckler.com/news/templates/?a=11&z=8), and will likely want to make an impact in this series. I believe he offered to go there for next to nothing, but they had DLee already.

Make them pay in Wrigley Jim. If Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard can play 1B, I'm sure you can still too.

stl_sox_fan
06-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Have to to go with the sentiment that I only want to see Thome at first with a batting helmet on. Swisher has been filling in nicely at first and I would like for Brian to get some more playing time. And to have a pretty good bat in the 9 spot late in the game seems like a no-brainer. But that's why Ozzie makes the big bucks.

soxfan21
06-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I just hope that if Thome does play first this weekend, he does not get hurt, and that he is still flexible enough to make some plays on grounders that might come in his direction.

Mohoney
06-19-2008, 12:21 PM
If Thome doesn't play any 1B, he's going to be sitting for a week without regular at-bats. I would try to get him in there once or twice, but against the Dodgers instead of the Cubs. That way he can take more grounders and get as prepared as possible.

It's Dankerific
06-19-2008, 01:49 PM
If Thome gets hurt, he's going to miss more than a week worth of games!!

(Which may not be bad for the sox overall, but I would hate to see any of our players get hurt).

BA AT FIRST!

havelj
06-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Thome is a huge Cubs fan, and will likely want to make an impact in this series. I believe he offered to go there for next to nothing, but they had DLee already.

They did not have DLee yet. Thome wanted to sign with them before the 2003 season (signed as a free agent 12/02 with Philadelphia) and possibly would have helped them win the World Series. Too bad.