PDA

View Full Version : Loudest cheer/boo

RockRiversoxfan
06-18-2008, 11:32 PM
what is the loundest cheer or boo that you have heard at a white sox game?

johnnyg83
06-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Tadahito -- Game 2 vs. Boston ALDS ... loudest ... longest ... wildest ...

Mohoney
06-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Game 1, Joe Crede's home run.

BadBobbyJenks
06-18-2008, 11:43 PM
AJ walk off in 05 against the Dodgers was intense. That was the longest I ever stayed in the park after a win.

Visiting cheer definitely Big Frank's return.

milrtyme28
06-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Definitely Pod's walk off home run during game two of the 05 WS. That was surreal and electric.

Otherwise, Frank Thomas' return from the DL and first at bat on Memorial Day 2005 was also pretty incredible.

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
In Comiskey, the Sox rally and win it in ninth on a Chet Lemon homer against KC in 1977 putting them 3 1/2 games up in August. KC takes the second and the Sox fizzzle the rest of the way and finish in third. A high watermark in what for me was the funnest season ever.

That place had 55,000 LOUD and involved Sox maniacs in it.I mean it was packed and hot. I ve never heard any baseball crowd louder.

Edit: it was the last day in July and I think maybe the lead was more than 3 1/2. I was certain they would take the West that year!

milrtyme28
06-18-2008, 11:45 PM
AJ walk off in 05 against the Dodgers was intense. That was the longest I ever stayed in the park after a win.

That Dodger game was incredible - first game I saw from the fan deck. Great memories. 1959 Redux.

Marqhead
06-18-2008, 11:48 PM

Second. I was in the right field seats for that game. Stood and cheered the whole time. Loudest section I have ever been in, unreal.

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Loudest boos also at the old park were reserved for Reggie Jackson.

sox1970
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
9/20/05--Crede's walkoff against Riske.

IlliniSox4Life
In person I would say the loudest cheer was after Crede got the winning RBI game 2 of the ALCS.

Frank's return with the A's was not as loud, but is was definitely the weirdest. Opposing player hitting a home run and he gets a standing O? Pretty odd. Pablo's walkoff bunt single was pretty loud too.

As far as boos go, I remember in 04 when Toriiii slammed into Jamie Burke at home pretty bad. The next game I was at and Hunter got booed very loudly.

I've seen the Sox on the road a few times, and AJ always manages to get booed wherever he goes. He is probably the highest booing/skill ratio I've seen (guys like Bonds get booed, but a lot of that has to do with how good they are).

chisoxfanatic

I'll have to agree with that. I was in the upper part of section 529 and felt the ground below me shake. Tadahito caused a major Soxquake on the south side that night!

I had the pleasure of sitting right next to Tekijawa for that game, and he called everything that transpired during that inning.

johnnyg83
06-18-2008, 11:59 PM
I'll have to agree with that. I was in the upper part of section 529 and felt the ground below me shake. Tadahito caused a major Soxquake on the south side that night!

I had the pleasure of sitting right next to Tekijawa for that game, and he called everything that transpired during that inning.

To me, that was the game that I started to believe. That was the game we'd lost every time in the past.

On contact, there was a quiet like the whole stadium was inhaling at the same time, and then when it landed over the fence ... bedlam ... and belief that destiny might be on our side.

If you re-watch game 2 of the WS on Pods' HR, there's a similar silence/inhale/held breath ... then this great, joyful release.

DumpJerry
06-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Pod's walk off. Lost my voice for two weeks.

Robin 7-31-91.

Luzinski's two roof shots (one hit the lights on its way up) on August 1, 1983.

Just about the entire weekend of July 1-3, 1977 when we swept the Twins in four (doubleheader on Sunday) to move into First Place.

Yes, I was at Gooch's HR off Boomer in Game 3. Did not come close to the above.

chisoxfanatic
06-19-2008, 12:06 AM
If you re-watch game 2 of the WS on Pods' HR, there's a similar silence/inhale/held breath ... then this great, joyful release.

I think we heard it a few blocks away from the ballpark in Puffers. :cool::D:

HomeFish
06-19-2008, 12:07 AM
When Frank Thomas threw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 1 of the 2005 ALDS. That was the first and only time I have ever heard the crowd noise drown out Gene Honda's voice.

johnnyg83
06-19-2008, 12:08 AM

Game 2, oui?

I didn't get to the WS so I'll defer.

Martinigirl
06-19-2008, 12:11 AM
I nornally have seats on the 100 level, but for ALCS, game 2, I was in the upper deck, right behind home plate. When Crede hit in the winning run, after AJ's dropped third strike call, it was insane. You could actually feel the building shaking. It was complete joyous insanity.

I was also at game two of the World Series, and the place was out of control for both Paulie and Pod's homeruns, but I didnt feel the building shake. It could have been because I was back on the 100 level, I don't know. But the Crede hit was the only one I have ever experienced that the cheers actually shook the building

HomeFish
06-19-2008, 12:13 AM
I nornally have seats on the 100 level, but for ALCS, game 2, I was in the upper deck, right behind home plate. When Crede hit in the winning run, after AJ's dropped third strike call, it was insane. You could actually feel the building shaking. It was complete joyous insanity.

I was sitting somewhere near you for that one, then. My memory is that the crowd just sat there for 10-15 minutes after the end of the game, wildly celebrating.

chisoxfanatic
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I was sitting somewhere near you for that one, then. My memory is that the crowd just sat there for 10-15 minutes after the end of the game, wildly celebrating.

I had an absolutely PERFECT view of everything that happened in that 9th inning from my seat in 535, Row 3. Pretty much half the crowd stayed at least a half hour after the game finished (I know I did before heading over to Jimbo's after the game)! Everyone was singing the Sox songs they had playing on the loud speakers in unison and everyone was extremely happy!

I must say that was pretty close to the Tadahito HR in the ALDS.

JB98
06-19-2008, 01:07 AM
I wasn't at Game 2 of the WS, so I'd probably go with AJ's home run against the Dodgers. That completed a four-run rally in the bottom of the ninth. At that point, I think everyone in the park realized the 2005 Sox had a chance to be something special.

Loudest boo? I'll go back to 2004 when Hunter steamrolled Jamie Burke. Honorable mention: Any time Sammy Sosa has ever stepped to the plate as a member of the opposing team.

The Dude
06-19-2008, 01:07 AM
The two loudest boos in recent times have to be Maggs return and Michael Barrett the game after punching AJ.

LITTLE NELL
06-19-2008, 06:16 AM
In Comiskey, the Sox rally and win it in ninth on a Chet Lemon homer against KC in 1977 putting them 3 1/2 games up in August. KC takes the second and the Sox fizzzle the rest of the way and finish in third. A high watermark in what for me was the funnest season ever.

That place had 55,000 LOUD and involved Sox maniacs in it.I mean it was packed and hot. I ve never heard any baseball crowd louder.

Edit: it was the last day in July and I think maybe the lead was more than 3 1/2. I was certain they would take the West that year!
Because I live in Florida I dont know how loud it got in 05, so that July 31st, 1977 first game win is still the loudest. Im pretty sure we went 6.5 games up after that win.

hose
06-19-2008, 06:41 AM

I was at that game and it was the loudest game in Comiskey I was ever heard or felt.

Game #2 against the Angels was the loudest I've heard the Cell.

BigPapaPump
06-19-2008, 07:05 AM

I was there also and would have to say it was the loudest I ever heard. It got increasingly louder starting withe Graffanino's gaff to Jenks coming in and shutting it down.

103 screwball
06-19-2008, 08:18 AM

Yep that still gives me chills. People were running up and down the isles to hug random fans in sheer joy. The crowd didn't even want to leave after the game and sang the Go Go White Sox song loudly even after all of the Sox were off of the field. Still gives me chills.

The loudest boo I can remember is when Ozzie came out to the mound to replace the starting pitcher with...Damaso Marte. There may have been louder ones, but I was probably too busy booing it remember what they were.

soxpride724
06-19-2008, 08:24 AM
As far as boos go, I can remember a few Javier Vasquez 5th inning meltdowns from 2006 that got the place riled up.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Cheers - had to be the standing O in 2000 when the Sox got home from the Cleveland/NY road trip; tied with Bo Jackson's HR in '93 to clinch the AL West.

eriqjaffe
06-19-2008, 08:26 AM
The two loudest boos in recent times have to be Maggs return and Michael Barrett the game after punching AJ.I was at game where Mags returned, that was pretty loud.

Loudest cheer I've ever heard in person had to be Crede's grand slam at the home opener this year. I'd never been at a game where I wound up high-fiving complete strangers until then.

beasly213
06-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I'll have to go with the big vote on here for loudest cheer and say Game 2 of the ALDS in 2005 with Tadahitos 3 run bomb!

I was out in the right field seats and people were jumping in the isles literrally and hugging eachother and high fiving everyone in their section.

This was a time where the stadium shook! I'm getting the chills just thinking about it and it was such an amazing moment.

Sigh...let's hope for some more great moments in October this year. :bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
06-19-2008, 08:54 AM

I'm with you on this one. Me and my son were sitting close to first base. I remember the confusion when AJ ran to first, and the rest is history. One of the people I do business with had gone as well, and left in the top of the 9th to "beat traffic". He said, call me if something happens. He didn't make it to the car when the Cell exploded with Crede's hit. I have to agree, the stadium was shaking.

skottyj242
06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
When Toby Hall hit his first home as a member of the Pale Hose on June 18, 2008.

hi im skot
06-19-2008, 09:11 AM
When Toby Hall hit his first home as a member of the Pale Hose on June 18, 2008.

My friend totally called it, too. I think I just yelled out "TOBY ****ING HALL!" and high-fived my sister.

I was unable to make it to any of the 2005 playoff games, but Quentin's walk-off against the Angels this year was pretty loud. I stuck around for a good 20 minutes after the game just celebrating and high-fiving random people.

soxpride724
06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
My friend totally called it, too. I think I just yelled out "TOBY ****ING HALL!" and high-fived my sister.

I was unable to make it to any of the 2005 playoff games, but Quentin's walk-off against the Angels this year was pretty loud. I stuck around for a good 20 minutes after the game just celebrating and high-fiving random people.

I was at that game also, that would be my vote for this year thus far.

The Dude
06-19-2008, 09:36 AM

Damn, and I missed that one. Were you at least wearing his jersey while jumping around high-fiving?

kevingrt
06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm with you on this one. Me and my son were sitting close to first base. I remember the confusion when AJ ran to first, and the rest is history. One of the people I do business with had gone as well, and left in the top of the 9th to "beat traffic". He said, call me if something happens. He didn't make it to the car when the Cell exploded with Crede's hit. I have to agree, the stadium was shaking.

So right. Crede's double versus the Halos in Game Two ALCS 2005. The place was nuts. Crazier then either World Series game in my mind.

CQ's walkoff this year on Sunday night baseball was pretty nuts but not quite as nuts as the one mentioned above. Crede's HR off the Injuns in September 2005 was pretty unreal crowd-wise. And PK's walk-off in the 14th this year was ridiculous considering there was no one left in the park. And Paulie's grand slam versus the Cubs when we made that ridiculous comeback, I forget what year, was absolutely unbelieveable. The crowd was epic for that game.

spiffie
06-19-2008, 09:39 AM
As loud as the place got after Podsednik's walk-off in game 2, that was more of a sustained jubilation. When Konerko hit the grand slam that game it was like a nuclear blast. Everything was quiet, and then suddenly BOOM! the place erupts. That was the loudest crowd noise I've ever heard in my life.

The Milkman
06-19-2008, 09:48 AM
My day sucked until I started reading this thread...Crede's walkoff in game 2 of the LCS and PK's granny for me will not be topped.

skottyj242
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Damn, and I missed that one. Were you at least wearing his jersey while jumping around high-fiving?

I was wearing my Toby Hall jersey and I went nuts. Awesome. Jose was making fun of me the whole day, he shut up after that.

roylestillman
06-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Pod's walk off. Lost my voice for two weeks.

Robin 7-31-91.

Luzinski's two roof shots (one hit the lights on its way up) on August 1, 1983.

Just about the entire weekend of July 1-3, 1977 when we swept the Twins in four (doubleheader on Sunday) to move into First Place.

Before reading your post I had already picked 7/1/77 against the Twins as the loudest regular season game I was ever at. The noise underneath the 35th Street viaduct after the game unlike anything I have heard since. Veeck once commented that this game was best crowd he had seen/heard in his career. Man that old park could hold the noise.

And yes Pods' walk-off was loud (although gloved hands probably muted it somewhat) but the spontaneous jumping up and down by the entire park is what I'll remember.

LITTLE NELL
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Im a little bais on this but the noise level in old Comiskey, because it was almost entirely enclosed, had to be louder than the Cell. Plus on occasion they could squeeze over 50,000 in there.
Some writer wrote that Wrigley yeyed but old Comiskey roared. That being said theres no doubt that the Cell has had more to cheer about with 3 division titles and aWorld Series Championship.

RoobarbPie
06-19-2008, 09:54 AM
I was there for a lot of the recent ones mentioned. I would rank them:
1. Pod's WS walkoff HR
2. AJ vs LAD 1959 turn back the clock walk off
3. Crede's walkoff HR late in 05
4. Konerko WS Grand Slam HR
5. Iguchi vs Red Sox HR

Loudest boo? I guess I'd have to go with Hunter.

mccoydp
06-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I was at that game also, that would be my vote for this year thus far.

Agreed. I was there for that one. I hung around for 15 minutes after the game just to soak it all in.

Huisj
06-19-2008, 10:14 AM
I was at the Pierzynski walk-off against LA and the Crede walk-off against the Indians in '05, and they were both about equally as loud, but they were different kinds of loud. The LA game was when everything was going great, and it was just total jubilation and happiness; for the Crede shot, it was when things were on the verge of falling apart, and the cheers were more like cheers of relief from a month of torture--considering there were probably 10000 fewer fans at that game that at the Pierzynski game, it was quite a sound.

The biggest boo I remember was Antonio Osuna's relief appearance at the home opener in '01 against Detroit. He came in after Parque was struggling, hit a guy, gave up two hits, and then gave up a grand slam. Ouch.

RTI_SoxFan
06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Definitely Pod's walk off home run during game two of the 05 WS. That was surreal and electric.

Otherwise, Frank Thomas' return from the DL and first at bat on Memorial Day 2005 was also pretty incredible.

No question, Pods Homer takes the cake on this one!

JoeyCora28
06-19-2008, 10:58 AM
As loud as the place got after Podsednik's walk-off in game 2, that was more of a sustained jubilation. When Konerko hit the grand slam that game it was like a nuclear blast. Everything was quiet, and then suddenly BOOM! the place erupts. That was the loudest crowd noise I've ever heard in my life.

You nailed it! As soon as Paulie hit it, everyone knew it was GONE. Pods' HR was hit higher and it took a bit longer for everyone to realize it was going out. Both ended up at about the same levels as far as noise goes, but the blast of sound when Paulie connected was just awesome.

twentywontowin
06-19-2008, 11:42 AM
June 25th, 2006. White Sox vs. Astros, Sunday Night ESPN.

Sox are down 9-1 going into the 8th. In the 8th, Konerko hits a solo bomb to make it 9-2. Then again in the 8th, Iguchi hits a 3-run shot to make it 9-5.

We go into the bottom of the ninth, two outs, bases loaded. Iguchi up to bat, and he delivers with a game tying grand slam.

Down by 8, two innings to go, and the place was up for grabs.

soxpride724
06-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Agreed. I was there for that one. I hung around for 15 minutes after the game just to soak it all in.

Same here, I ordered two extra beverages before the seventh inning cutoff cause I thought the game might go into extras. After Quentin hit the walkoff I sat there and enjoyed my extra brew and watched the celebration.

twsoxfan5
06-19-2008, 12:09 PM

I was near you guys as well and that was the loudest for me. I was also at the Iguchi game and I thought that it could not get any louder or crazier than that, but it was then trumped by Crede's. The building was shaking and there were too many people jumping up and down to count.

barryball
06-19-2008, 12:48 PM
1993 - Bo Jackson game winning HR against the mariners to clinch the 1993 AL Central

2005 - Tadahito's HR against the "red cubs" after the error by former Whitesox player (can't recall his name right now) in the ALDS

2005 - Crede's game winning double against the Angels after the AJ drop-3rd strike in the ALCS

The place went wild after each of these but I would have to say the Tadahito HR was the loudest as it set the tone for things to come!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::ba ndance::bandance:

VeeckAsInWreck
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
I wish I could have attended Game 2 of the WS but for me the loudest cheering I ever witnessed was when Carlos Lee hit a grand slam off Courtney Duncan to beat the Cubs in the 10th inning at Comiskey Park. I lost my voice for two days I shouted so much.

That was on June 8th, 2001. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200106080.shtml)

Jimmy John
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
June 25th, 2006. White Sox vs. Astros, Sunday Night ESPN.

Sox are down 9-1 going into the 8th. In the 8th, Konerko hits a solo bomb to make it 9-2. Then again in the 8th, Iguchi hits a 3-run shot to make it 9-5.

We go into the bottom of the ninth, two outs, bases loaded. Iguchi up to bat, and he delivers with a game tying grand slam.

Down by 8, two innings to go, and the place was up for grabs.

That comeback was absolutely epic...two days before my birthday. It was such a letdown when they ended up losing that game.

haganaga
06-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I was there for a lot of the recent ones mentioned. I would rank them:
1. Pod's WS walkoff HR
2. AJ vs LAD 1959 turn back the clock walk off
3. Crede's walkoff HR late in 05
4. Konerko WS Grand Slam HR
5. Iguchi vs Red Sox HR

Loudest boo? I guess I'd have to go with Hunter.
Man, I was 1 lucky SOB in 2005. I saw 1-4 in person. It's tough to guess but Paulie's was fantastic because of it's the World Series, raining throughout the game then because of the pitching change, you heard Harvester of Sorrow followed by Na na na na, then I think Go Go White Sox then, if memory serves, an extended Harvester as Paulie was taking cuts while he warmed up. Then first pitch fastball.

Such an amazing year. I love this thread. :D:

edit: Oh yeah, with 2 outs to boot!

ChiSoxFan7
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
the loudest boos i have ever heard is when tori "the hunted" came back after he had destroyed our catcher.

the loudest cheer i have ever heard was either paulies Gs in game 2 or pods walk off of game 2 that landed about 15-20 rows ahead of us..... i have never hugged/ double high fived and chest bumped so many perfect strangers. it was so cold and rainy, but no one gave a damn. it was just purely amazing.

whitesox901
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
well, the loudest ive ever seen was that game in the early part of the month, when we swept the Twins, that was electric. The loudest boos was the game last June in 07 I went too when the Marlins got a 3-run HR in the 1st.

ChiSoxGirl
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
1993 - Bo Jackson game winning HR against the mariners to clinch the 1993 AL Central

2005 - Tadahito's HR against the "red cubs" after the error by former Whitesox player (can't recall his name right now) in the ALDS

2005 - Crede's game winning double against the Angels after the AJ drop-3rd strike in the ALCS

The place went wild after each of these but I would have to say the Tadahito HR was the loudest as it set the tone for things to come!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::ba ndance::bandance:

Tony Graffanino, or as he was being called after the play... Tony Gaffenino.

Frontman
06-19-2008, 10:51 PM
In person? I have to say this year's Home Opener; Crede's slam. I was sitting REAL close to the field for the first time (second row) and I never experienced something like that. Also, being on the 3rd base side of the stadium as the ball lands in the bullpen helps!

Having listened to games on TV/radio? That was Pod's walk off. That was incredible to hear, both from the TV and then of course through the whole neighborhood. Reminded me of growing up in Bridgeport, hearing from the other apartment buildings out here in Orland; cheering over Joe Buck/John Rooney's call.

The loudest boo? Can't really say, as I've never seen a crowd out of hand boo someone. The Last Home game of 2006 when Cotts gave up back to back homers probably, but that wasn't the whole stadium.

WagMan
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM

I fully agree on both accounts. AJ's walk off was the greatest game I've ever attended (only because I didn't make it to any of the '05 postseason!). Opening day '06 was pretty raucous as well. We were in 507, row 20 and between the cheering and the flyover at the start of the game? It was pretty darn loud.

Etownsox13
06-20-2008, 09:34 AM
One of the louder boo's that I heard was during last year's Cubs/Sox series when Tony Romo threw out the first pitch on Friday.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I think the loudest boos I witnessed was at the player introductions for the '03 All Star game when Dusty Baker was announced as the NL manager. When I got home I reviewed the tape and you could read Dusty lips saying something to the effect of "Go ahead and boo you mother****ers!"

It was funny to see. The other funny thing was that Sox fans booed AL Central players and Jerry Manuel. To which Chris Berman had a field day with calling us the worst fans in baseball.

johnr1note
06-20-2008, 11:41 AM
In person I would say the loudest cheer was after Crede got the winning RBI game 2 of the ALCS.

I have to agree with this. I thought the upper deck was going to fall in on us, the place was rocking so hard. Amazing.

PaleHoser
06-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Loudest boos for a home player was when Juan Agosto would make the long jog from the center field bullpen at Comiskey Park. It got so bad that when the P.A. announcer would announce the change it sounded like -

Now pitching, number 50 Juan Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

And Tony LaRussa loved that bum.

SpiderJames
06-20-2008, 05:52 PM
biggest cheer had to have been Konerko's grand slam to pods walkoff, the place was in a rampage, me being in the last row of the upper deck :p

another was iguchis go ahead homer, I remember right before Nancy played We Will Rock You, and the place kept singing it even when the song stopped playing, absolutely intimidating.

Barret punching Pierzynski probably got the most boos ive ever heard.