PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano Shoulder Discomfort

Viva Medias B's
06-18-2008, 09:43 PM
According to the Cubune, Carlos Zambrano was removed from tonight's Cubs loss to the Rays because of "shoulder discomfort."

High Mileage
06-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Uh oh...

JohnnyInnsbrook
06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm no Dr. but he may need to cut down on the Gatorade cooler tossing.

Dub25
06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Granted Wood and Prior have had arm and shoulder issues but this always seems to happen when a Cubbie ace gets knocked around. "Oh my God, something must be wrong, our ace is getting hit."

Can't it ever be he sucked on that night or in Carlos' case, tonight?

MarySwiss
06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
ESPN said he threw 100 pitches through six. That probably didn't help.

gogosox16
06-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Granted Wood and Prior have had arm and shoulder issues but this always seems to happen when a Cubbie ace gets knocked around. "Oh my God, something must be wrong, our ace is getting hit."

I would laugh if he had to miss an extended period of time and alter their playoff hopes (probably not) and that's when you know that team is cursed

thomas35forever
06-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Time to end his hatred of water?:tongue:

FedEx227
06-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Exactly. I've noticed that as well.

Carlos gives up 6 runs in 5 innings, his forearm hurt from e-mailing his brother, his shoulder hurts... it's never Carlos' got lit-up.

But I'm sure we've all played with guys like that whether it's baseball or basketball.

Dub25
06-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I would laugh if he had to miss an extended period of time and alter their playoff hopes (probably not) and that's when you know that team is cursed

Until they start respecting the Goat instead of brushing him aside then maybe something good will happen for them.

gogosox16
06-18-2008, 09:56 PM
But I'm sure we've all played with guys like that whether it's baseball or basketball.
Haha. That is me. If I ever play PIG or HORSE and do bad I always blame it on from working out too much and how its throwing off my rhythm:tongue:

Dub25
06-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Carlos gives up 6 runs in 5 innings, his forearm hurt from e-mailing his brother, his shoulder hurts... it's never Carlos' got lit-up.

Don't forget not enough water after getting lit up.

gogosox16
06-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Don't forget not enough water after getting lit up.
Or not eating enough bananas:tongue:

Cuck the Fubs
06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Could it be all that stupid ass finger pointing to the sky has caught up to him finally?:redneck

That's gotta be hard on your shoulder!:D:

Jaffar
06-18-2008, 10:12 PM
He's been mediocre at best since the start in which he threw 130 pitches...

Blueprint1
06-18-2008, 10:16 PM

I was going to say the same thing. It sure seems like everytime he sucks there is an excuse.

DrCrawdad
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM

That was his May 28 start. He wasn't all that effective in the next two starts.

I suspect though that Zambrano has been laboring with pain for quite a while. He had a start May 17th start against Pittsburgh that I watched and I thought he seemed to be really laboring (think Freddy Garcia 2006).

As much as I hate Zambrano's antics, I don't wish him ill nor do I celebrate his apparent injury.

doublem23
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM

That just seems to happen to Zambrano; Wood and Prior had legitimate injuries, whenever Big Z tosses a stinker it's always "I have blisters," or "I drank too much Red Bull," or "my tummy hurts."

gobears1987
06-18-2008, 11:59 PM
And that is why Ozzie watches pitch counts with this team.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2008, 11:59 PM
ESPN News is reporting that he'll have an MRI on his shoulder on Thursday.

Lip

hawkjt
06-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Yea, I would rather face Z next weekend if he is pitching like tonite than have him be out, anyway. I know he is nuts but I still can see the guy is talented and I wish him no ill.

DrCrawdad
06-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Well the Cubbies will now get a chance to exhibit all that great pitching depth that The Greatest GM In MLB stockpiled for this season.

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2008, 12:34 AM
That just seems to happen to Zambrano; Wood and Prior had legitimate injuries, whenever Big Z tosses a stinker it's always "I have blisters," or "I drank too much Red Bull," or "my tummy hurts."Or "I spent too much time on the internet."

JB98
06-19-2008, 01:11 AM
It would be unfortunate if Zambrano is unable to pitch against the Sox this year. Even though he is the Cubbie ace, the Sox have had decent luck against him in the past.

The Critic
06-19-2008, 02:41 AM
It would be unfortunate if Zambrano is unable to pitch against the Sox this year. Even though he is the Cubbie ace, the Sox have had decent luck against him in the past.

I think their rotation lined up so Zambrano wouldn't face the Sox anyway.
Losing him for any length of time would be a big problem for them.

RadioheadRocks
06-19-2008, 02:49 AM
I'm no Dr. but he may need to cut down on the Gatorade cooler tossing.

... or the pointing towards the sky.

DrCrawdad
06-19-2008, 04:08 AM
I think their rotation lined up so Zambrano wouldn't face the Sox anyway.
Losing him for any length of time would be a big problem for them.

Not the first series, but Zambrano was scheduled to face the Sox on the Sunday game at The Cell.

SaltyPretzel
06-19-2008, 04:15 AM
I was going to say the same thing. It sure seems like everytime he sucks there is an excuse.

I'm not so sure about it this time. Soto called out the trainer after a 70 mph pitch and Z wanted to stay in.

doublem23
06-19-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm not so sure about it this time. Soto called out the trainer after a 70 mph pitch and Z wanted to stay in.

I only watched 1 inning of the Rays/Cubs game last night, but it was the inning the Rays scored pretty much all their runs and Zambrano pitched like total ****. Everything was either significantly off the plate or he was just lollipopping high-80s fastballs or rolling off-speed stuff right over the plate. He had absolutely nothing last night.

Whatever, I don't want him to suffer any sort of serious injury, but I'm not exactly going to miss watching him dance around on the mound, pointing at the sky, and generally behaving like a lunatic.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Z may or may not be hurt, but as many have pointed out, the organization is just unable ever to say, "Even good pitchers have an off night now and again" even though everyone who plays, watches or has heard of the game knows this to be true. It's just another aspect of the carefuly manufactured cult of Cubbie exceptionalism.

spawn
06-19-2008, 08:36 AM
I saw the inning he was taken out. I don't think it was about him tossing up a stinker. Zambrano threw a pitch that was way outside, and immediately Soto called for the trainer.

soxfan13
06-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Z may or may not be hurt, but as many have pointed out, the organization is just unable ever to say, "Even good pitchers have an off night now and again" even though everyone who plays, watches or has heard of the game knows this to be true. It's just another aspect of the carefuly manufactured cult of Cubbie exceptionalism.

They are really going out of their way to hold up that exceptionalism then, by flying him home early to have an MRI.:rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
06-19-2008, 09:02 AM

I suspect though that Zambrano has been laboring with pain for quite a while. He had a start May 17th start against Pittsburgh that I watched and I thought he seemed to be really laboring (think Freddy Garcia 2006).

As much as I hate Zambrano's antics, I don't wish him ill nor do I celebrate his apparent injury.

The Cubune notes (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080618-chicago-cubs-tampa-bay-devil-rays,1,7425053.story) that May 17th game that I mentioned in the quote above. I don't wish Zambrano ill (even though I hate his antics) but I suspect that there is more to this than just a little soreness.

eriqjaffe
06-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I suspect that there is more to this than just a little soreness.Par for the course for the Cubs, they have a long and storied tradition of understating the severity of injuries, especially to their pitching staff.

The Immigrant
06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Thank goodness for Herm Schneider. The man is a gem.

the1tab
06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
How potentially devestating could the last 48 hours have been for the Cubs? Reed Johnson, Jim Edmonds, Ronny Cedeno and Carlos Zambrano all go down to injuries w/ Alfonso Soriano already out?

So much for "If they stay healthy...."

areilly
06-19-2008, 09:39 AM

I'm not familiar enough with Cubs staff and personnel to know off-hand what their pitching, training and conditioning philosophies are, but I remember this happening with Jon Lieber. He won 20 and threw 232 innings in 2001 after throwing 250(!) in 2000, and certainly hasn't been the same since. I know elite pitchers are a fleeting bunch, but it seems like the Cubs burn through them faster than any other organization out there.

alohafri
06-19-2008, 09:41 AM

The only injury of Zambrano's that I would "celebrate" would be one brought on by his own stupidity of breaking a bat over his leg or a temper tantrum in the dugout. :wink:

DrCrawdad
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
The only injury of Zambrano's that I would "celebrate" would be one brought on by his own stupidity of breaking a bat over his leg or a temper tantrum in the dugout. :wink:

Good point.

PatK
06-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Me too.

What's this about all those other guys being hurt?

Even though I have two Cubs fans at home, I pay as little attention to them as possible.

russ99
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm not familiar enough with Cubs staff and personnel to know off-hand what their pitching, training and conditioning philosophies are, but I remember this happening with Jon Lieber. He won 20 and threw 232 innings in 2001 after throwing 250(!) in 2000, and certainly hasn't been the same since. I know elite pitchers are a fleeting bunch, but it seems like the Cubs burn through them faster than any other organization out there.

Plus check baseballreference.com. The Cubs have been pouring the innings on him for a few years now. If it finally caught up with him and he were more seriously hurt, it really wouldn't surprise me. But as much as I dislike the guy, I can't wish a bad arm injury on him. Besides, then he wouldn't likely be able to finish his career with the Sox. :tongue:

There's no excuse for a 130 pitch outing, but hey if the Cubs want to burn out their starters, that's fine with me.

whitem0nkey
06-19-2008, 12:31 PM
out of all the cub players this is the most important player on that roster IMHO.

Woofer
06-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Lou has been using Marmol and Wood alot, even in games with big leads. All that proves is that they don't have anyone who Lou can trust with a lead. The overuse of these guys will come back to bite them down the stretch, maybe.

white sox bill
06-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Anyone know the staus on him yet? Or will the Evil Empire try to cover damage up--aka "ShoulderGate"

AJ Hellraiser
06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano was examined by Cubs orthopoedist Stephen Gryzlo on Thursday in Chicago, and was scheduled to have an magnetic resonance arthrogram on his shoulder on Friday. Zambrano said after Wednesday's game he hoped the problem was just tendinitis, in which case he could rest for a start or two while taking anti-inflammatories to reduce the swelling.

The Cubs had no update on Zambrano as of late Thursday afternoon in St. Pete. They're likely to wait for the results of Zambrano's test before making an announcement, so the news may have to wait until Saturday.

Zambrano is next scheduled to pitch on Tuesday against Baltimore are Wrigley Field, though that start appears to be out of the question at this point.

PennStater98r
06-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Could it be all that stupid ass finger pointing to the sky has caught up to him finally?:redneck

That's gotta be hard on your shoulder!:D:

No one likes to be pointed at - especially God!

white sox bill
06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
No one likes to be pointed at - especially God!
Wasn't that funny when AJ mocked him after hitting home run a few yrs back!!

russ99
06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano was examined by Cubs orthopoedist Stephen Gryzlo on Thursday in Chicago, and was scheduled to have an magnetic resonance arthrogram on his shoulder on Friday. Zambrano said after Wednesday's game he hoped the problem was just tendinitis, in which case he could rest for a start or two while taking anti-inflammatories to reduce the swelling.

The Cubs had no update on Zambrano as of late Thursday afternoon in St. Pete. They're likely to wait for the results of Zambrano's test before making an announcement, so the news may have to wait until Saturday.

Zambrano is next scheduled to pitch on Tuesday against Baltimore are Wrigley Field, though that start appears to be out of the question at this point.

Looks like the North Side pitcher injury spin doctors are hard at work.

I don't understand why they'd fly him in early then postpone the MRI originaly set for today until tomorrow, unless there was excessive swelling and they were waiting for it to go down. Also, no comment after seeing the orthopedic guy... looks a bit ominous to me, and probably not "just tendonitis".

RadioheadRocks
06-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano was examined by Cubs orthopoedist Stephen Gryzlo on Thursday in Chicago, and was scheduled to have an magnetic resonance arthrogram on Zambrano's shoulder on Friday. Zambrano said after Wednesday's game Zambrano hoped the problem was just tendinitis, in which case Zambrano could rest for a start or two while taking anti-inflammatories to reduce the swelling.

Zambrano is ne xt scheduled to pitch on Tuesday against Baltimore are Wrigley Field, though that start appears to be out of the question at this point.

Fixed it for ya! :D:

southside rocks
06-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Looks like the North Side pitcher injury spin doctors are hard at work.

I don't understand why they'd fly him in early then postpone the MRI originaly set for today until tomorrow, unless there was excessive swelling and they were waiting for it to go down. Also, no comment after seeing the orthopedic guy... looks a bit ominous to me, and probably not "just tendonitis".

Tendinitis in the shoulder, when it's a chronic condition, can and often does lead to rotator cuff injuries. It will be interesting to see how the Cubs handle this, and whether they rush Big Z back into the rotation (which would not be a smart move).

SoxandtheCityTee
06-19-2008, 07:30 PM
They are really going out of their way to hold up that exceptionalism then, by flying him home early to have an MRI.:rolleyes:

I didn't say Zambrano wasn't hurt. I said maybe he was and maybe he wasn't; an MRI seems logical under the circumstances.

By exceptionalism I don't mean that they do everything backwards.

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Zambrano has a "mild shoulder strain," according to the Cubune. He is still likely to go on the DL and miss at least two starts.

DrCrawdad
06-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Zambrano has a "mild shoulder strain," according to the Cubune. He is still likely to go on the DL and miss at least two starts.

Is that two starts in human or dog years?

soxpride724
06-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Is that two starts in human or dog years?

Lol, what starts out as nothing with the Cubs (injury wise), almost always is SOMETHING.

PatK
06-21-2008, 07:40 AM
I caught some thing on ESPN after the game yesterday and Buster Olney was basically saying that the Cubs are lying about the extent of his injury.

He went along the lines of if it's tendonitis and so bad that it requires an MRI, there is no way he's missing only 1 start as announced.

Cuck the Fubs
06-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Perhaps Big Z should be consulting with Mark Prior on this :redneck

Viva Medias B's
06-21-2008, 08:41 AM
I caught some thing on ESPN after the game yesterday and Buster Olney was basically saying that the Cubs are lying about the extent of his injury.

He went along the lines of if it's tendonitis and so bad that it requires an MRI, there is no way he's missing only 1 start as announced.

Unless the Cubs secretly have Benny Hinn as a trainer.

soxwon
06-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Tendinitis in the shoulder, when it's a chronic condition, can and often does lead to rotator cuff injuries. It will be interesting to see how the Cubs handle this, and whether they rush Big Z back into the rotation (which would not be a smart move).

come on pitch him next weekend, i wanna see him get his arm ripped off by a thome linedrive.

ChiSox89
06-21-2008, 10:15 AM
just saw on espn that zambrano is going on the DL. very good news.:smile:

btrain929
06-21-2008, 10:31 AM
just saw on espn that zambrano is going on the DL. very good news.:smile:

Exxxxcellent. Let's take 2 out of 3 at the Urinal and sweep at the 'Cell. I hope today vs Marquis is a statement game, and we win 11-3.