PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Shiver Me Timbers! Sox Dump Bucs onto Poop Deck 6-18 Postgame Thread

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Discuss!

whitesox4eva
06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
that game was sexy LOL
SOX WIN:bandance::bandance::bandance:

NDSox12
06-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Love the thread title. Appropriate too!

October26
06-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Another good offensive game for the Sox tonight in support of Mark Buehrle. So happy to see Buehrle pitching well and be able to get the win. Sox win! Sox win! :bandance:

White City
06-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Mark Buehrle has lowered his ERA to 4.28 and has thrown six quality starts in his last seven outings. If he had pitched all nine and only yielded one earned run, then Vazquez would be the new "dog" of the staff with his 4.13 ERA.

If Mark And Javy can both pitch very well in their next outings, we very well could have all five starters below 4.00 (for a moment in time, anyway).

johnnyg83
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
OC in June .358/.389./507 before tonight

SluggersAway
06-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I really hope OC warms up to the city and the team, he could be a nice addition for a few years.

And, lets hope BA and Swish rock n roll while Paulie is on the DL and force Ozzie to think about a Thome/Konerko DH platoon at times. It does not have to be full-time, just until the vets can prove they can hit again.

Soxman219
06-18-2008, 09:39 PM
This is how I want all Sox games played, quality pitching and a consistent offense that scores 5-8 runs per game. This was a very good, relaxing win tonight.:bandance:

White City
06-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Great win, but it is somewhat of an indictment of our offense's inconsistency that the Pirates' pitcher, who is total garbage and actually IMPROVED his ERA tonight by giving up 4 in 6, has a better record than Mark Buehrle.

havelj
06-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Did anyone just see Toby Hall being interviewed on CSN just now? The entire interview he was looking left and right for a pie in the face!

stl_sox_fan
06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Did anyone just see Toby Hall being interviewed on CSN just now? The entire interview he was looking left and right for a pie in the face!

That stuff stings man. I remember Paulie wincing after his.

I was replaying Quentin's homer, a helicopter flew over as the fireworks blasted off. Wonder how close they came to it and if the pilot will be cleaning the cockpit seat tonight.

ChiSox89
06-18-2008, 09:48 PM
another nice win. this is the type of game i would like to see every game. pitching doing what it's been doing and the offense scoring 4 runs or more and if they do that, they will win a lot of games

soxfanreggie
06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I would love to play them 15 more times in the next two months!

BadBobbyJenks
06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Shiver me timbers is right, haha.

Buehrle's era is now 4.28
OC is now batting .273
Swisher is now up to Mr. 230
Thome looks much better lately
Crede quietly continues to have the best season by an AL third basemen not named Alex Rodriguez.

thomas35forever
06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
I don't care how often we win games this year as long as we're winning enough to get to the playoffs. Another great game and another great win.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
This is how I want all Sox games played, quality pitching and a consistent offense that scores 5-8 runs per game. This was a very good, relaxing win tonight.:bandance:

It is nice not to feel mentally drained after a game.:cool:

johnnyg83
06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
It's exciting to me, and I'm admittedly easily excitable, that we don't have to rely entirely on the Dye, Thome, Konerko trio for RBIs like we did last year ... Alexei, CQ, Swisher, OC ... all guys we didn't have last year. didn't really have Crede either.

SoxSpeed22
06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Good to see OC getting hot, he's a much better hitter than he's shown in the first few months. Buehrle was his old self, the offense was scoring runs and BA hit one out.
Let's sweep these guys and go into the crosstown series hot.

gogosox16
06-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Good to see OC getting hot, he's a much better hitter than he's shown in the first few months. Buehrle was his old self, the offense was scoring runs and BA hit one out.
Let's sweep these guys and go into the crosstown series hot.
He is finally showing us what he's capable of doing and what we expected from him when we got him.:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2008, 10:02 PM
that game was sexy LOL
SOX WIN:bandance::bandance::bandance:

It was more than sexy...it was orgasmic! :D:

Loved Toby Hall constantly looking both ways checking for people with pies or shaving cream during the postgame interview in the dugout!

TheOldRoman
06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Mark Buehrle has lowered his ERA to 4.28 and has thrown six quality starts in his last seven outings. If he had pitched all nine and only yielded one earned run, then Vazquez would be the new "dog" of the staff with his 4.13 ERA.Well, Javy has been terrible his last two starts (as has Jose), but I am confident they will recover. Buehrle is looking like the Buehrle we all know and love, and the rest of the staff will stay solid. If we can get any damn hitting, this will be a special year.

LongLiveFisk
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Hopefully tomorrow will be the sweep! And I'll be at the game, Section 103. :thumbsup:

Need to keep the momentum going for a tough weekend series coming up against our favorite friends to the North.

gogosox16
06-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Hopefully tomorrow will be the sweep! And I'll be at the game, Section 103. :thumbsup:

I will also be there in section 113 hopefully to break my personal 4 game losing streak:angry:

mccoydp
06-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Great win, but it is somewhat of an indictment of our offense's inconsistency that the Pirates' pitcher, who is total garbage and actually IMPROVED his ERA tonight by giving up 4 in 6, has a better record than Mark Buehrle.

Gorzelanny was 14-10 last year, with a 3.88 ERA; garbage is a bit strong, no? :redneck

Fun game tonight. Good to see TCQ with 2 hits, one a homer!

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, Javy has been terrible his last two starts (as has Jose), but I am confident they will recover. Buehrle is looking like the Buehrle we all know and love, and the rest of the staff will stay solid. If we can get any damn hitting, this will be a special year.

Third in the AL in runs scored and the batting averages are rising for almost everybody over the past two weeks. I think we exaggerate the hitting woes, but yes, it seems it disappears for games at a time.

I am optimistic. But nobody will run away with the Central this year.

voodoochile
06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, Javy has been terrible his last two starts (as has Jose), but I am confident they will recover. Buehrle is looking like the Buehrle we all know and love, and the rest of the staff will stay solid. If we can get any damn hitting, this will be a special year.

Javy wasn't horrible last night he only gave up 5 hits, he just was missing horribly up in the third inning and the ball was getting smoked.

Stringer
06-18-2008, 10:32 PM
I can't wait for tomorrow's post game thread more Pirate themed threads

LOL

Lip Man 1
06-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Stringer:

Let's hope it's not "Sox Walk The Plank...Sunk By Pirates"

LOL

Just win baby.

Lip

Vernam
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Loved Toby Hall constantly looking both ways checking for people with pies or shaving cream during the postgame interview in the dugout!I think that's why he kept the mask on top of his head, too. :D:

Wow, maybe that Buehrle re-signing wasn't such a bad idea after all?

Nice to see TCQ bouncing back with more good at-bats. OC's baserunning on that Thome blooper was inspiring -- both the way he read that the ball would fall in, and the way he went in spikes-up when the catcher blocked the plate without the ball. I love to see that stuff.

Let's close 'em out tomorrow afternoon and get a good night's rest before traveling 'cross town.

Vernam

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Stringer:

Let's hope it's not "Sox Walk The Plank...Sunk By Pirates"

LOL

Just win baby.

Lip

:rolling:

At the exact moment you were posting this, I literally was just remarking to my wife as we lay in bed that if I were to start tomorrow's Post Game Thread, and the Sox were to win, I would have it read, "Sox Make Pirates Walk the Plank."

Alas, I will be in conferences tomorrow and won't be near a computer tomorrow when the game ends unless there is a huge rain delay or it goes for many extra innings. So someone will have to keep up the themed thread titles for me...

I'm surprised no one remarked on my thread title pun for Sunday's loss to the Rockies. I thought about actually using the band's name (a Ministry side project), but the Sox third base coach didn't really play much of a role in the "Revolting" loss.
:tongue:

Bucky F. Dent
06-18-2008, 10:40 PM
This is one helluva way to get geared up for the series against our little friends to the north.

Let's cap it off with a Gavin Floyd complete game shut out!!!!:)

jabrch
06-18-2008, 10:45 PM
16 runs yesterday...8 runs today, we are toast. We've used up 6 weeks of runs.

sox1970
06-18-2008, 10:46 PM
:indianslose

At least the Rockies beat them too.

jabrch

Sure - who wouldn't want to score 1053 runs in a year?

How many teams in the HISTORY OF THE GAME have done that?

TheOldRoman
Javy wasn't horrible last night he only gave up 5 hits, he just was missing horribly up in the third inning and the ball was getting smoked.Terrible may have been too strong of a term, but he was bad, same as last week against Detoilet. It was more about him giving back the lead twice than the 5 runs (which is also bad). Either way, hopefully him and Jose step up and return to form this weekend.

voodoochile
06-18-2008, 10:47 PM
16 runs yesterday...8 runs today, we are toast. We've used up 6 weeks of runs.

:winner

:supernana:

:)

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Rockies have won 5 series in a row. The Sox caught them at the wrong time and I still think they will contend. But Sox still should have taken them at home.

soxstarter
06-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Games that are this close just drive me :bandance:

Love It!

ohthosechisox
06-18-2008, 10:56 PM
I was at the game tonight. It was a great victory all around, but it is especially nice to see Buehrle back in his groove. :)

Let's go finish off these Pirates tomorrow!

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Games that are this close just drive me :bandance:

You've been talking to DumpJerry, I see. He said almost the exact same thing to me when I saw him on the outfield concourse after last night's game. That, or the two of you have an uncanny way of thinking alike. :cool:

Mohoney
06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
It was really nice to see Mark Buehrle and Nick Swisher both make the huge contributions.

Mark Buehrle was very crafty and economical, and Nick Swisher put this game on ice with that 2 RBI double.

I know I'll get some flack for this, but this is kind of looking 2005-ish, only more talented and less fundamentally sound.

Scoring runners from 3B with less than 2 out, advancing runners over, stolen bases, and 2 out hitting are definitely not at the 2005 level. That said, this team definitely has more natural ability offensively than the 2005 team did when you look at it position by position.

As for the pitching staffs, I might even take this one over the 2005 staff, especially when you consider the fact that the closer's role is firmly settled. 2008 Thornton >>> 2005 Cotts.
2008 Linebrink >>> 2005 Pollitte
2008 Dotel >>> 2005 Vizcaino
2008 Jenks > 2005's 3 man closer carousel (Dustin Hermanson was such a huge part of 2005)

Soxman219
06-18-2008, 11:12 PM

Doesn't hurt to dream about it, right!:smile:

pdimas
06-18-2008, 11:21 PM
:tongue:http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x26/ballstein12/paco1.jpg

I had fun :smile:. I got TCQ's 17th of the season! :tongue:

johnnyg83
06-18-2008, 11:22 PM

I read this spring that the 2008 Tigers did it.

jabrch
06-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I read this spring that the 2008 Tigers did it.

EXACTLY...

thomas35forever
06-18-2008, 11:58 PM

Congrats man!:thumbsup:

TDog
06-18-2008, 11:58 PM

You are stretching for negativity here. Giving up four runs in six innings equates to an ERA of 6. If you come into a game with an ERA under 7, giving up four runs in 6 innings is very close to what would you would expect. He might have matched his ERA if he had come out with two outs in the sixth instead of finishing the inning. The fact is, though that ERA is not a predictor of performance on a given night.

I got to go to the game tonight. I'm in Chicago for a convention, and this is the only Sox game I'll have a chance to see until the Sox come to Oakland later this year. I caught two wins in San Francisco, including a Buehrle 3-1 win over the Giants, making me 3-0 on the year with Buehrle looking great in two games. Anyone at the ballpark tonight, and presumably anyone watching television, could see that Buehrle was the superior starter tonight by a long shot.

It really was a great night at the ballpark. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Jim Thome impressed on the basepaths tonight.

chisoxfanatic
06-19-2008, 12:01 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Jim Thome impressed on the basepaths tonight.

He did, and so did Cabrera. That was some great "heads up" base running by him on Thome's duck snort that fell between three fielders, and he did a wonderful job pushing the catcher off home plate so that he could tag it before he was tagged out.

hawkjt
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I was just hoping Big Jim would not pull anything running the bases. With PK out,we can ill afford to lose Thome. I fully expected OC to be around .300 like he was last year and now it looks like he could get there. It sure would be great to have a few .300 hitters for a change, like OC,Alexei,AJ and maybe JD.

MB had it going on tonite, love when he is pitching from ahead all the time.
BA had a nice knock tonite...and Toby is our new secret weapon.
CQ showed signs of being back just in time for the Cubs(with PK down, and no C Lee, we need another cub-killer) and I think he could do some damage in Wrigley. Another lefty tomorrow, man it seems like there are more leftys than ever...and the sox have to continue to try to beat them.

soxcrazy49
06-19-2008, 12:27 AM
It would be nice to play them 19 times a year

johnnyg83
06-19-2008, 12:34 AM
How did the Twins (ALC) get the Nationals (NLE) when the NLC has six teams?

Mohoney
06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
It would be nice to play them 19 times a year

I don't think we have any room to complain about our interleague schedule this year. We stacked up against 4 complete suckfests in the Giants, Dodgers, Rockies, and Pirates in our non-crosstown interleague slate. With a win tomorrow, we go to 7-2 against this slate, with 3 against a pretty crappy Dodgers team left to go.

A 9-3 record against the dregs and a split with the Cubs would put us at 12-6 in Interleague play, which is right in line with our dominant home record and our dominant division record.

Like it or not, avoiding an anomaly in interleague play (or creating an anomaly if you totally kick ass) is a part of this game now, and has been for over a decade. This is a real chance to make some hay.

JB98
06-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I went to the Cell tonight, and it was an enjoyable evening.

Buehrle has given the Sox eight innings in each of his last three outings. He's looking like a top-of-the-rotation starter again.

I was also pleased to see TCQ collect two hits. With Konerko on the DL, the Sox need Quentin to get his bat going again.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-19-2008, 12:49 AM
I was supposed to be at the games yesterday and today, but my ride's car broke down. :( "We'll catch another game another day" ... I liked these two just fine! :mad: Seriously, I hope we don't go back into one of them bad hitting slumps, everything they get on a streak I think there is no going back... but they always manage to. :scratch: Well, 2 nice games in a row, too bad they don't have much effect on out standings... at least were not 2.5 up instead of 4.5! :tongue:

kevingrt
06-19-2008, 01:02 AM
When Buehrle starts to pitch well there really is nothing better. The game he pitched tonight was a pure gem, regardless of who it was against.

It's Dankerific
06-19-2008, 02:01 AM
I was also pleased to see TCQ collect two hits. With Konerko on the DL, the Sox need Quentin to get his bat going again.

Why? Its not like there is any production that we need to replace with Konerko on the DL. It would be nice to get Quentin hitting the ball well again, but it doesnt relate at all to Konerko.

SluggersAway
06-19-2008, 02:41 AM
Why? Its not like there is any production that we need to replace with Konerko on the DL. It would be nice to get Quentin hitting the ball well again, but it doesnt relate at all to Konerko.

Yea, at this point we are better of with BA and Swish and Thome/Konerko platooned at DH.

Am I beating a dead horse yet?

RadioheadRocks
06-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Love the thread title. Appropriate too!

I like it too.

How about "SOX THROW BORING OVERBOARD" ???
:smile:

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2008, 02:58 AM
... Thome/Konerko platooned at DH.Konerko's problems this year have been offensive. He's still a very good defensive first baseman. So, I don't see how platooning him at DH is any improvement.

It's Dankerific
06-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Konerko's problems this year have been offensive. He's still a very good defensive first baseman. So, I don't see how platooning him at DH is any improvement.

True, but we certainly dont need TCQ to heat up again because we're missing the great Konerko.

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Rockies have won 5 series in a row. The Sox caught them at the wrong time and I still think they will contend. But Sox still should have taken them at home.

I don't feel as bad about those losses now. The Rockies are, after all, the defending NL champs. I think they are a better team than their record indicates; they suffered some unfortunate injuries earlier this season.

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2008, 05:58 AM
As for the pitching staffs, I might even take this one over the 2005 staff, especially when you consider the fact that the closer's role is firmly settled. 2008 Thornton >>> 2005 Cotts.
2008 Linebrink >>> 2005 Pollitte
2008 Dotel >>> 2005 Vizcaino
2008 Jenks > 2005's 3 man closer carousel (Dustin Hermanson was such a huge part of 2005)

I think Logan is at least as good as, if not better than, Damaso Marte.

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2008, 06:03 AM
True, but we certainly dont need TCQ to heat up again because we're missing the great Konerko.

Yeah, it's not like dropping Paulie "Mendoza" from the lineup hurts us. :redneck

Seriously, I hope Paulie heals and clobbers the ball when he returns. I'll be pleased if he can reach .260 for the year, because that would mean he'd hit .300 after his return.

Railsplitter
06-19-2008, 06:04 AM
Avast ye scurvy dogs! Prepare to be swept! :bandance::bandance:

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Alexei doesn´t bat in the 2nd slot.

H 5, AB 23, BA .217, RBI 1

kraut83
06-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Classic MB outing last night. I love seeing the bullpen get some rest! :bandance:

Let's finish them off, and go to the Northside on a roll!

jabrch
06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Konerko's problems this year have been offensive.

In so many ways...

Hopefully a few weeks rest will help - I'm tired of being offended.

palehozenychicty
06-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Finally the Rox are helping us out, after bringing us down. :D:

palehozenychicty
06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
I don't feel as bad about those losses now. The Rockies are, after all, the defending NL champs. I think they are a better team than their record indicates; they suffered some unfortunate injuries earlier this season.

I still believe in them as well. At one point they were missing six starters from the lineup. No team has that kind of depth to sustain a high level. Arizona's cooled off considerably. So when people got mad about that, I said, hey, they have talent.

skottyj242
06-19-2008, 08:55 AM

I am two seats to his right.

Toby Hall.

Ava83
06-19-2008, 08:56 AM
I was at the game last night! It was good times to say the least...I think TCQ hit the home run to impress me.

I love to see wins like this.

IlliniOne82
06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
I met Swisher at Grandstand after the game. Seems like a really down to earth guy. Got a picture of he and I on my phone but apparently forgot to save it. :angry: Still a cool encounter. The reason we were there to begin with was that my girlfriend was buying his shirt.

hi im skot
06-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I celebrated my birthday a night early at the ballpark last night. A bunch of my friends who rarely go to Sox games joined me and had an awesome time. It was one of my friend's first Sox games, and she had an absolute blast.

And as for the Sox? It was great to see the Buehrle we all know and love show up last night.

Great win...sweep 'em today.

It's Dankerific
06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I was at the game last night! It was good times to say the least...I think TCQ hit the home run to impress me.

I love to see wins like this.

I'm 100% sure he did!