PDA

View Full Version : Gorzelanny to fulfill Childhood Dream, writer trashes Comiskey

thedudeabides
06-18-2008, 04:00 PM
As many may know, he grew up a big Sox fan. He also takes a shot at Comiskey. Good quotes from Tom about the rivalry.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports//s_573246.html

SoxGirl4Life
06-18-2008, 04:03 PM
As many may know, he grew up a big Sox fan. He also takes a shot at Comiskey. Good quotes from Tom about the rivalry.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports//s_573246.html

I don't think Sox park is ugly :dunno:

IlliniSox4Life
06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
That whole second half of the article was unnecessary. Sounds like either they took what Gorzelanny said out of context, or he hasn't been to the park in quite a while. I imagine the later is probably true.

DSpivack
06-18-2008, 04:07 PM
That whole second half of the article was unnecessary. Sounds like either they took what Gorzelanny said out of context, or he hasn't been to the park in quite a while. I imagine the later is probably true.

All Gorzelanny said was that pitching at USCF would be different than pitching at Wrigley. Then the writer uses that to rail against a park he probably hasn't been to (since the renovations).

doublem23
06-18-2008, 04:09 PM
All Gorzelanny said was that pitching at USCF would be different than pitching at Wrigley. Then the writer uses that to rail against a park he probably hasn't been to (since the renovations).

I hope he enjoys his pretty ballpark and crappy team in Pittsburgh.

Jaffar
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Is that article 10 years old? Seriously, it sounds like all of the old complaints that don't really apply anymore.

btrain929
06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Either the author is making **** up or Gorzelanny is looking to piss off an offense that just scored 16 runs yesterday.

Bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off!

MeteorsSox4367
06-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I love the line about the lack of a trendy Wrigleyville aura around the Cell. What a crock.

Just another case of an ignorant out-of-towner who believes that everything around Wrigley is wonderful, while the area around the Cell is trash.

He can stick Wrigleyville's aura. I'll take Bridgeport, the Cell and the 2005 World Championship.

Besides that, this mope doesn't even write for the leading paper in Pittsburgh.

DumpJerry
06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Gorzelanny's dream will be a nightmare in about 6 hours.

I think the reporter added the **** about Comiskey to make up for Gorzelanny's trashing Cub culture. How dare he say something negative about the Lovable Fans?

Hitmen77
06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Is that article 10 years old? Seriously, it sounds like all of the old complaints that don't really apply anymore.

No kidding!

Maybe Mr. Biertempfel is auditioning for a job at the Chicago Tribune.

Corlose 15
06-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I always wonder if these writers that trash the upper deck at USCF have ever watched a game up there or if they just take what they've been told.

Anyone whose one word to describe the Cell is "ugly" is an absolute buffoon. I think its a very nice looking park. About the only issue with the Cell is that it faces Indiana instead of the skyline. But in facing to the southeast the Sox have played at the same street for what, 98 years? That's the longest tenured team in one location in major sports in the country and the White Sox never get any credit for their commitment to the Bridgeport neighborhood. I think its cool they've stayed in one place for that long.

hi im skot
06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
What a poorly-written piece of crap.

SoxGirl4Life
06-18-2008, 04:25 PM
I love the line about the lack of a trendy Wrigleyville aura around the Cell. What a crock.

That's one of my favorite things about US Cellular. The lack of anything wrigley. Save for the few tools I've seen in the stands wearing Cub jerseys. What's with that? I mean to each his own, but aren't you just trying to egg people on with that?

The Immigrant
06-18-2008, 04:27 PM

Nothing says "trendy" or "aura" like the city of Pittsburgh.

Hitmen77
06-18-2008, 04:37 PM
...I'm surprised this guy forgot to mention how Sox fans always run on to the field to attack coaches. :rolleyes:

Madvora
06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
I really don't get it. Are they looking at a different stadium than we are?

twsoxfan5
06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I went to high school with Tom and he actually kissed my wife once, not when we were together. If Tom thinks the Cell is ugly he should take a look in the mirror, either before or after his nose job.

soxfanatlanta
06-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I think he was comparing PNC park to the Cell. I've never seen PNC so I don't know one way or another. I agree with the other posters though: the article was poorly written at best.

Rocky Soprano
06-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I just emailed him:

Mr. Biertempfel,
I just read your article and was a bit surprised at your description of US Cellular Field, I was wondering, When was the last time you actually caught a game there?
While US Cellular Field may not be near the top of prettiest parks, it sure is not anywhere near the bottom. It's gone through many improvements in the recent years and its actually a great park to catch a game.
I invite you to come out to US Cellular Field and catch a game sometime. I feel you would be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for the time.

GoSox2K3
06-18-2008, 04:48 PM

The answer to your question is yes. They're looking at the 1991 New Comiskey (and probably the 1991 neighborhood too).

DumpJerry
06-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I went to high school with Tom and he actually kissed my wife once, not when we were together. If Tom thinks the Cell is ugly he should take a look in the mirror, either before or after his nose job.
:o: We're not bitter, are we?

DSpivack
06-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Haha, from the article I didn't see where Gorzelanny said anything bad about USCF.

Frontman
06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
What a poorly-written piece of crap.

Agreed. It seemed to be two articles, one about Gorzelanny returning "home" as it were; the other an out-dated critique on the ballpark.

doublem23
06-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Yep, they're looking at this one:

http://home.n00.itscom.net/kbt-t/jpg_mlb_al/comiskey9711.jpg

I don't know if the park has ever been "ugly," but it was definitely pretty bland when it first opened. However, the improvements over the last couple of years have made it a great place to watch baseball.

thedudeabides
06-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Haha, from the article I didn't see where Gorzelanny said anything bad about USCF.

Whether taken out of context or not, referring to the park he said "Man, this place stinks."

oeo
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM

I don't think this guy has ever been there. And if he has, it was before all the renovations. That's usually the case when all they have to say is it's "ugly" (with no reason behind that opinion) and "the upper deck is too steep" (please...).

The guy seems to be a complete tool to turn a Gorzelanny "dream" article into a Cell bashing article. :scratch:

Hitmen77
06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
I just emailed him:

Mr. Biertempfel,
I just read your article and was a bit surprised at your description of US Cellular Field, I was wondering, When was the last time you actually caught a game there?
While US Cellular Field may not be near the top of prettiest parks, it sure is not anywhere near the bottom. It's gone through many improvements in the recent years and its actually a great park to catch a game.
I invite you to come out to US Cellular Field and catch a game sometime. I feel you would be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for the time.

Good e-mail. I'm glad someone sent a rationale comment like this instead of just a flame e-mail telling the guy he sucks.

A few years ago, someone on WSI posted a link to a ballpark guide website by Joe Mock where he ripped on Sox Park. A bunch of people from here sent him e-mails ripping on him, but he stuck to his guns....but if I remember correctly he eventually revisited the Cell (which he hadn't been to in years) and now he has a very positive review of the park on his site:

http://www.baseballparks.com/USCellular1.asp

oeo
06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Whether taken out of context or not, referring to the park he said "Man, this place stinks."

Well, it's possible that his comments were taken before he arrived in Chicago. Since he was drafted in 2003, it's also very possible that he hasn't been there since around that time. The park has changed quite a bit in those 5 years.

btrain929
06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
The last row in the upper deck at any stadium isn't going to be the best. However, I love sitting behind home plate in the first few rows of the upper deck (531/533). That view is amazing, and I almost prefer it there than in the bleachers or off to the sides.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Wow, US Cellular is a great park to go to! When I saw a Cubs-Sox game a few years ago, I had to go to Wrigly Field. It's a nice park too, but there are so many bad seats. My grandpa had to sit behind a poll, and there were a bunch of other seats like that too. At least when I go to US Cellular you can get a lot of good views everywhere. With the big screen and everything, I don't get how you couldn't like watching the game from anywhere in the park!

Btw.... Sox won that game in the 9th w/ an AJ 3-run hommer! :D:

soxpride724
06-18-2008, 06:33 PM
The cell is a much nicer park now than when it opened, personaly it is my favorite place to watch a baseball game but my opinion is biased.
I am glad there is no "Wrigleyville" trendy bull**** surrounding my park, and I am also glad Sox fans don't wear t shirts that say "U.S Cellular Field".
I like our park but we don't go to these baseball games to celebrate a stadium. And to this pithcer who says our place is ugly, I hope he gets lit up in front of his familt and friends in attendance tonight.

jabrch
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I hope he enjoed his childhood dream...

thedudeabides
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM

It is pretty cool he got to pitch there, I'm just glad it didn't work out for him.

doublem23
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM

At least his favorite team won. :cool:

Zisk77
06-18-2008, 11:24 PM
The Pirate announcers were very complimentary of the cell last night during their telecast.

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 11:51 PM

Just another case of an ignorant out-of-towner who believes that everything around Wrigley is wonderful, while the area around the Cell is trash.

He can stick Wrigleyville's aura. I'll take Bridgeport, the Cell and the 2005 World Championship.

Besides that, this mope doesn't even write for the leading paper in Pittsburgh.

"Wrigleyville" is like "Streeterville" a made-up yuppie-inspired term for "Lakeview".

DSpivack
06-18-2008, 11:56 PM
"Wrigleyville" is like "Streeterville" a made-up yuppie-inspired term for "Lakeview".

Huh? While the Wrigleyville/Lakeview thing can get annoying, Streeterville has been used for a long time to mean the area east of Michigan Avenue and north of the river.

TheOldRoman
06-19-2008, 12:00 AM
1.) To mediots and other random people on the internet who opine: For the last time, the upperdeck at the Cell is NOT that steep. It is about as steep at the UD in Jacobs Field. It is less steep than the UD in Coors Field and Yankee Stadium. Go to the cell, sit in the UD, then go to those parks.

2) Pure crap from the writer. Among the "mystique" for Wrigley, he lists the frat boys chugging old style (and hurling obscenities, racial epithets, and baseballs) and the W flag? Oh, if we could just fly a special flag when we won. That would really make the park feel warmer.

doublem23
06-19-2008, 12:13 AM

Huh? While the Wrigleyville/Lakeview thing can get annoying, Streeterville has been used for a long time to mean the area east of Michigan Avenue and north of the river.

Yes, Lakeview ≠ Streeterville

WSox597
06-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Interesting that somebody said "the park stinks". Perhaps he was confused with the Urinal, which in fact does stink.

Also, that Wrigleyville 'aura' has cost at least one person their life a couple of years ago. A man was killed right in front of the Urinal as the game let out.

The area around US Cellular hasn't killed anybody that I know about.

And Sox fans are the barbarians, huh?

wulfy
06-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Interesting that somebody said "the park stinks". Perhaps he was confused with the Urinal, which in fact does stink.

Also, that Wrigleyville 'aura' has cost at least one person their life a couple of years ago. A man was killed right in front of the Urinal as the game let out.

The area around US Cellular hasn't killed anybody that I know about.

And Sox fans are the barbarians, huh?

Anyone listen to Dave Wills on the Rays broadcast against the Cubs on XM? Made a nice dig about the Cubs playing out of sorts in Tampa because the ballpark actually smells good.