LITTLE NELL
06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Some interesting stats, the Sox in the AL are:
Tied for first in HRS
2nd in ERA
4th in Runs scored
6th in OBP
8th in Batting Average.
pretty good yet we are only 8 games over .500, why?
Im going with last in consistancy, for example we get shut out saturday night, scrounge for runs on sunday, and come back with 16 runs last night. If we had any consistancy we would be at least 15 games over .500.

AJ Hellraiser
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
You hit it right on the head.... they are one of the most inconsistent teams in baseball, something stats fail to show...

I don't know that I have ever seen a team that has no middle ground like this... they either bash the ball and look like the best team in the league or the play a game that is extremely difficult to watch and score 0-2 runs...

I hate comparisons to 2005, but the big difference is consistency... that team would find a way to score 3-4 runs per game... not much more and usually not less...

It's difficult to watch, but as long as our White Sox are in the playoffs in 2008 I don't care...

stl_sox_fan
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Some interesting stats, the Sox in the AL are:
Tied for first in HRS
2nd in ERA
4th in Runs scored
6th in OBP
8th in Batting Average.
pretty good yet we are only 8 games over .500, why?
Im going with last in consistancy, for example we get shut out saturday night, scrounge for runs on sunday, and come back with 16 runs last night. If we had any consistancy we would be at least 15 games over .500.

Another nice stat. They lead the AL in solo HRs(27). But if it keeps getting the job done, I am cool with ignoring the 800lb gorilla.

balke
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, by quick count I have 30 games with 3 runs or less scored this season. Compare that to 2005 with 19 at this point in the season.

All you can really say is things look up every time they do put up big numbers. Paulie not playing through an injury will help this team for now I think. Get fresher blood on the field, put Swisher at 1B, get BA more playing time.

I think if things go right, the Sox will find that groove everyone is waiting for.

By the time everyone hates BA again, Konerko should be healthy and ready to go. :tongue:

comet2k
06-18-2008, 02:04 PM
The one that bothers me is that they're 0-27 when trailing after 8 innings. That's the kind of consistency you don't want.

AJ Hellraiser
06-18-2008, 02:13 PM
The one that bothers me is that they're 0-27 when trailing after 8 innings. That's the kind of consistency you don't want.

Yeah, and it's not like they are just laying down and rolling over, either... I remember plenty of games where they bring the tying or winning run to the plate...

But, it's the same old story when they do, they just can't come through with the big hit...

jabrch
06-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, and it's not like they are just laying down and rolling over, either... I remember plenty of games where they bring the tying or winning run to the plate...

But, it's the same old story when they do, they just can't come through with the big hit...

Yet somehow - despite not being able to come through, this team is in first place.

balke
06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Yet somehow - despite not being able to come through, this team is in first place.

I doubt any team has a good record trailing after 8. That's closer time, and most teams have a good closer.

balke
06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Interesting note, Sox are 3rd in RBI's beyond the 6th inning.

Bob G
06-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah, by quick count I have 30 games with 3 runs or less scored this season. Compare that to 2005 with 19 at this point in the season.

All you can really say is things look up every time they do put up big numbers. Paulie not playing through an injury will help this team for now I think. Get fresher blood on the field, put Swisher at 1B, get BA more playing time.

I think if things go right, the Sox will find that groove everyone is waiting for.

By the time everyone hates BA again, Konerko should be healthy and ready to go. :tongue:

The '05 team could advance runners and steal some bases (mainly Pods) and bunt better than this team which all adds up to more runs.

balke
06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
The '05 team could advance runners and steal some bases (mainly Pods) and bunt better than this team which all adds up to more runs.

More consistant runs you mean.

I think its more the lethal player factor is missing. Pods was the lethal player that year, he could and would score when the Sox needed him.

Thome and Konerko are not the same this year. Dye is doing great, but he's not a top 5 slugger in baseball. Quentin is young and has gone cold. The Sox don't have that 1-2 guy threat that will beat any pitcher at any time. I.E. Thomas or Magglio in primes.

If Thome or Konerko can get back to form, maybe 9th inning rallies happen. Maybe 4 runs happens more. But, until then I think the Sox are going to feast on pitchers who aren't the best of the best, and find a way into the playoffs.

Jaffar
06-18-2008, 02:59 PM
More consistant runs you mean.

I think its more the lethal player factor is missing. Pods was the lethal player that year, he could and would score when the Sox needed him.

Thome and Konerko are not the same this year. Dye is doing great, but he's not a top 5 slugger in baseball. Quentin is young and has gone cold. The Sox don't have that 1-2 guy threat that will beat any pitcher at any time. I.E. Thomas or Magglio in primes.

If Thome or Konerko can get back to form, maybe 9th inning rallies happen. Maybe 4 runs happens more. But, until then I think the Sox are going to feast on pitchers who aren't the best of the best, and find a way into the playoffs.

I agree with you completely besides that comment. It seems like if this team is hitting they hit ANYBODY and if they aren't hitting it doesn't matter who is on the mound because they simply aren't going to hit.

balke
06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
I agree with you completely besides that comment. It seems like if this team is hitting they hit ANYBODY and if they aren't hitting it doesn't matter who is on the mound because they simply aren't going to hit.

Well I'm just mainly going with the no 9th inning rally stat. That would seem to indicate they get shut down by closers. That, and I don't remember a solid ace type who is going good, who's been beat up by the Sox yet.

Jaffar
06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Well I'm just mainly going with the no 9th inning rally stat. That would seem to indicate they get shut down by closers. That, and I don't remember a solid ace type who is going good, who's been beat up by the Sox yet.

I don't have any examples either but I bet we could find a bunch of pitchers they should have feasted on that they failed to.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Balke:

You are correct... 30 games, three or fewer runs this year. They are 6-24 in those games.

Jaffar:

Look no further then Saturday night. De La Rosa... 8.13 ERA.

Lip