PDA

View Full Version : Swish "real comfortable" at first, reaches base five times. Coincidence?

White City
06-18-2008, 01:41 PM
In this link, Swish talks about being "real comfortable" at first, since it is the position he has played all his life. These quotes were prior to the ballgame, I believe, but can't confirm.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsVjM4TOdDGrE.LJfKuSifUU0bYF?slug=teamre ports-2008-mlb-chw&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report

Anyway, is it possible that letting Nick play first for a while could help him get out of his slump? I guess we're going to find out (although correlation does not equal causation, so it is possible he could bust out of the slump by coincidence).

UofCSoxFan
06-18-2008, 01:44 PM
In this link, Swish talks about being "real comfortable" at first, since it is the position he has played all his life. These quotes were prior to the ballgame, I believe, but can't confirm.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsVjM4TOdDGrE.LJfKuSifUU0bYF?slug=teamre ports-2008-mlb-chw&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report

Anyway, is it possible that letting Nick play first for a while could help him get out of his slump? I guess we're going to find out (although correlation does not equal causation, so it is possible he could bust out of the slump by coincidence).

Glad you said correlation does not eaual causation. Based on a 1 game sample, where everyone hit, I'd say it had more to do with horrendous Pitt pitching but it is certainly something to watch. Swisher will have plenty of time at first over the next two weeks. It would be great to get him going.

White City
06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah. Checking the stats, he is 8-for-40 while playing 1B, so he's worse there than at other positions. However, those were fill-ins in his endless odyssey around the field, not a sure day-to-day thing like he has now.

I note that he has played first in five of his last six games, but has only produced at the plate in the last two. Maybe it was just that -- a bad pitching night that everyone exploited -- but maybe, just maybe, Nick is settling into a comfort zone and will be able to get on a roll.

If he did, and he and the team felt it was due to playing 1B, what do we do when Paulie returns? Especially if Thome keeps heating up like he has recently?

I prefer those kinds of problems to the ones we have now.

cws05champ
06-18-2008, 01:55 PM

YTD Stats:
When playing OF: .237 avg, .345 OBP, 8 HR, 19 RBI in 190 AB's
When playing 1B: .122 avg, .280 OBP, 0 HR, 2 RBI in 41 AB's

Obviously his sample size of 1B AB's need to be higher to have any correlation, but the later was not indicative of last nights performance as 3 of his 5 hits on the year (at 1B) came last night. He was 2-38 prior to last nights game at 1B.

gamblinkenny
06-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Nick is comfortable when he plays first. Nick sometimes hits when he is comfortable. Therefore, if nick plays first he must hit.

it's like an LSAT question...find the flaw in the reasoning

White City
06-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Nick is comfortable when he plays first. Nick sometimes hits when he is comfortable. Therefore, if nick plays first he must hit.

it's like an LSAT question...find the flaw in the reasoning

OK, if that was my reasoning, you might have a point.

At some level, hitting slumps are about being uncomfortable, injured, or in a mental funk. Perhaps moving Nick all around in the field in his first season in Chicago has caused some discomfort - knocked him out of his routine that has led to the level of success he has posted in the past. Therefore, perhaps Nick having a familiar routine in the next few weeks will get him back on track to what he has done consistently through his career.

Find the flaw in that reasoning (especially given how hedged it is in the first place).

Tekijawa
06-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Based on last nights performance EVERYONE is comfortable with Nick at first. we should leave him there and jut continue to score 16 runs a game!

ondafarm
06-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I think several things are being confounded here.

First, Nick is clearly much more comfortable at 1B than in CF. LF or RF are both pretty good for him as well.

Why? Because Nick is a conscientious player who actually trys to work on his defense and the amount of work a good CF puts in, dwarfs that in the other three spots. The mental effort to well-prepare for games in CF is difficult for many guys, including Nick.

Second, this stretch with Paulie DL'd is the first time this year when Swish will get consistent time at 1B. Oh, Ozzie might yank his chain and put BA at first one day and Nick in CF, but I think Swish is at 1B for almost all of the next two weeks.

Third, most guys hit better when they are in a rthym and are comfortable.

Fourth, some managers prefer to play edgy guys and keep their easy going guys artificially edgy by keeping them uncomfortable.

As to the idea that Swish will hit better at 1B and break out of his season long (so far) funk will be put to the test unless Ozzie shows himself to be in the fourth category (q.v.)

White City
07-01-2008, 12:39 PM
As to the idea that Swish will hit better at 1B and break out of his season long (so far) funk will be put to the test ...

Put the test, and found to have merit, at least so far.

MCHSoxFan
07-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Put the test, and found to have merit, at least so far.

The last 2 times he was up with the bases loaded, he his a slam. I like that trend! :cool:

FYI-Last night it was when there was 2 outs and versus the Cubs on Friday there were 1 out.

getonbckthr
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I would like to see Swisher's career stats at 1B compared to OF and DH. Maybe its a factor being at 1B keeps you mentally focused every single pitch whereas in the OF if the pitcher is wild or a groundball/strikeout pitcher he might get bored or lose concentration.