PDA

View Full Version : Disco Demolition night National anthem

RockRiversoxfan
06-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Hello I know this may sound like a werid question but who sang the national anthem on disco demolition night? Also did harrey carey still sing take me out to the ballgame that night?

WhiteSox5187
06-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Hello I know this may sound like a werid question but who sang the national anthem on disco demolition night? Also did harrey carey still sing take me out to the ballgame that night?
I know that Harry sang take me out to the ballgame because Roper described in his book "Sox and the City" how once the fans started storming the field and refused to return to the seats (with the infamous picture of the Sox-o-gram saying "Please return to your seats" with about a hundred people on the field) Nancy started playing Take Me Out to the Ballgame and Harry started singing it and then urged people to return to their seats in what was surely a very bizaare sight to behold. There used to be YouTube clips of Jimmy Piersall announcing what was going on as it occured (you also saw the pitcher and the cather throw a few warm up tosses and then quickly exited the field) but I believe those have been pulled. They MIGHT might be on fuzzymemories.tv.

:welcome:

stl_sox_fan
06-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the club!

I picked up the Pittsburgh broadcast on Extra Innings last night. They were talking about "that" night. I loved the footage of "Please Return To Your Seats".

VeeckAsInWreck
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the club!

I picked up the Pittsburgh broadcast on Extra Innings last night. They were talking about "that" night. I loved the footage of "Please Return To Your Seats".

Why did Pittsburgh's broadcast bring that up? :scratch:

stl_sox_fan
06-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Why did Pittsburgh's broadcast bring that up? :scratch:

I was wondering that myself. They had a pretty long segment about it. Probably had to fill time in between all those Sox hits last night.

russ99
06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I know that Harry sang take me out to the ballgame because Roper described in his book "Sox and the City" how once the fans started storming the field and refused to return to the seats (with the infamous picture of the Sox-o-gram saying "Please return to your seats" with about a hundred people on the field) Nancy started playing Take Me Out to the Ballgame and Harry started singing it and then urged people to return to their seats in what was surely a very bizaare sight to behold. There used to be YouTube clips of Jimmy Piersall announcing what was going on as it occured (you also saw the pitcher and the cather throw a few warm up tosses and then quickly exited the field) but I believe those have been pulled. They MIGHT might be on fuzzymemories.tv.

Also, the demolition "incident" took place in the break between games of a doubleheader. So Harry sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame in the 7th inning of the first game, and then a few bars of it while vainly attempting to get the fans off the field. Bill Veeck also went on the loudspeaker to make an atempt, but that failed too. It eventually took Chicago riot cops the clear the field, but the damage was done.

I have no idea if they had someone sing the National Anthem, but I know that vintage Loop girl Lorelei was part of the pregame festivities, and was hit on by a number of Sox and Tigers players. :tongue:

I was in 7th grade that year. I was and still am a big Steve Dahl fan so I really wanted to go, but my mom wouldn't let me. Good thinking there, Mom. :D:

RockRiversoxfan
06-18-2008, 04:30 PM
To make this a little clearer. I would like to know who sang the national anthem BEFORE the first game. and did harry carey sing take me out to the ballgame during the seventh inning strech of the first game.

GoSox2K3
06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
To make this a little clearer. I would like to know who sang the national anthem BEFORE the first game. and did harry carey sing take me out to the ballgame during the seventh inning strech of the first game.

Donna Summer.

DumpJerry
06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I was there that night. The idiots did not run on the field until Dahl blew up the records between games.

I doubt anyone, other than the actual singer, would remember who sang the National Anthem that day. That was not the memorable event of the day.

I think the Pirates broadcast showed it because they told the good people in Pittsburgh last night there was a rain delay, so it was Rain Delay Theater time.....anything to spare their feelings.

Harry always sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

Sox
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
You guys are making me feel old with all of this talk about Disco record demolition night at old Comiskey between twin bills with the motor city kitties.......:geezer:

Lip Man 1
06-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Here's Mike Veeck:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2520

Lip

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Donna Summer.

I don't know but back then, the national anthem was almost always just Nancy Faust on the organ--except for the home opener and maybe July 4.

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2008, 12:26 AM
I don't know but back then, the national anthem was almost always just Nancy Faust on the organ--except for the home opener and maybe July 4.That was what I was going to say. Back then, they expected the fans to actually sing the anthem, not just stand there listening to some American Idol wannabe doing vocal gymnastics on it.

DumpJerry
06-19-2008, 07:37 AM
That was what I was going to say. Back then, they expected the fans to actually sing the anthem, not just stand there listening to some American Idol wannabe doing vocal gymnastics on it.
That is my recollection of the old days. When Reinsdorf and Einhorn bought the team, they started using guest singers. After a while they started using a tape of the Oak Ridge Boys over and over and over......

It's not just the White Sox who use American Idol wannabes, it's all over major and professional sports now.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2008, 12:06 AM
It's not just the White Sox who use American Idol wannabes, it's all over major and professional sports now.I know, and I just hate it. It even happens at the university hockey games. About one out of ten singers do it the way it was written; the rest feel the need to "interpret" the song. Since there is some song stylist doing it, the audience doesn't dare sing, which should be the point of it.

I gained a great deal of respect for Hulk Hogan when his daughter sang the anthem at the NHL All-Star game. He told her "sing it straight, or I'm coming down there and body-slamming you to the ice."

VeeckAsInWreck
06-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I gained a great deal of respect for Hulk Hogan when his daughter sang the anthem at the NHL All-Star game. He told her "sing it straight, or I'm coming down there and body-slamming you to the ice."

Then the show's title is clearly apt then! :redneck

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/Image/hogan_knows_best.jpg

TommyJohn
06-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't know but back then, the national anthem was almost always just Nancy Faust on the organ--except for the home opener and maybe July 4.

Actually there was one day in June of 1977 where Lamar Johnson sang
the National Anthem, then went out and got all three Sox hits (including
2 solo homers) in a 2-1 win over the A's.