PDA

View Full Version : Random Sox Statistics

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-18-2008, 12:34 PM
I was just looking through some splits on espn.com and found some interesting tidbits. One thing that puzzles me is our ability to hit left handers. The guys that you would expect to do well in that category are not. For instance, Crede, Quentin, and Dye have OPS of .331, .751, and .607 respectively. The real surprise is that one of our best hitters against lefties is Thome at .993. Cabrera and Ramirez are pretty consistent against righties and lefties, and Konerko has sucked equally bad against both.

Although he has driven in a lot of runs from the #3 spot, Quentin has a better OPS from the 1, 5, 6, and 7 spots. Dye hits much better when nobody is on base (.956 vs .691), but Crede (.814 vs .976) and Quentin (.763 vs 1.117) both come through with runners on. Ramirez also does quite well with runners on: he has a sick .778 AVG with runners at 1st and 2nd. Also, Ramirez has clearly been heating up. After hitting only .138 in April, he batted .295 in May and .413 in June. At this rate, he'll be over .500 in July. :tongue:

Our most productive hitter in the #2 spot has been AJ, with a .313/.342/.411 AVG/OBP/SLG. Quentin has hit .297/.333/.459, Ramirez .263/.263/.368, and Cabrera .220/.298/.271. Cabrera does best in the #1 spot, where he's posted a .302/.339/.430 line, and Ramirez does best in #8 or #9, where he averages about .370/.410/.560.

Based on some of these numbers, I think that we should keep Cabrera and AJ at 1 and 2 in the lineup, and Ramirez at #9 (I like the back-to-back speed threat). Quentin does well enough at #3 but might also do well at #4, because he hits well with men on base. I think Crede should move up because he does so much better with men on. Against lefties we have trouble no matter what, but contrary to common opinion (including my own until I looked up the numbers), Thome should stay in the lineup.

Anyway, food for thought. Not that any of this will affect the way that Ozzie actually fills out the lineup card. :cool:

TomBradley72
06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure you can attribute so much of a hitter's performance ot their slot in the order. Especially when you have about 40% of a season to work with and some of the slot's sample sizes are probably very small. AJ would be raking no matter where we place him in the order. I think OC would deliver the same batting average in the #2 slot, Alexei would do just as well at the top of the order.

Since we're a struggling team on offense...I'd want my high average/speed guys (Ramirez/OC) at the top of the order. I'd want AJ's high average/low speed to be in an position to drive in runs (5th?). Quentin was originally moved to #3 because he was the only guy hitting...if he doesn't turn it around it might be time to move him lower in the order.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I think the spot in the batting order makes some difference, because batting 6th is a lot different than batting 2nd or 3rd. But, I agree that AJ has hit well with a fair amount of consistency. Cabrera, on the other hand, has a difference of about .100 on his batting average between #1 and #2. I like having AJ second because he is a pretty decent contact hitter, he seems to be better at situational hitting than most of the other guys on the team, and he is very alert to opportunities that present themselves. I wouldn't mind having Ramirez second, either, but I think that he does better with the decreased pressure of batting ninth.

BadBobbyJenks
06-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I think the spot in the batting order makes some difference, because batting 6th is a lot different than batting 2nd or 3rd. But, I agree that AJ has hit well with a fair amount of consistency. Cabrera, on the other hand, has a difference of about .100 on his batting average between #1 and #2. I like having AJ second because he is a pretty decent contact hitter, he seems to be better at situational hitting than most of the other guys on the team, and he is very alert to opportunities that present themselves. I wouldn't mind having Ramirez second, either, but I think that he does better with the decreased pressure of batting ninth.

I think the OC discrepancy in batting average is simply he started off cold and has come on strong for a month. I don't think the change from 2 to 1 has anything to do with that.