PDA

View Full Version : Cool Chat Today

WhiteSoxJack
06-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Brooks Boyer is doing a live chat today at noon on whitesox.com...should be a cool opportunity to share ideas with him...Personally I want to see if he can get a promo together to put the team in the old 1977 uni's WITH THE SHORTS...

VeeckAsInWreck
06-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Brooks Boyer is doing a live chat today at noon on whitesox.com...should be a cool opportunity to share ideas with him...Personally I want to see if he can get a promo together to put the team in the old 1977 uni's WITH THE SHORTS...

:cower: Oh no!

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Talk to Brooks? Cool.

Re-live the 1977 Short Uniforms? Not Cool.

Please.....don't bring that up.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Here's the chat transcript:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/fan_forum/chat.jsp

Lip

Parrothead
06-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah ! I am in there....guess who?:bandance:

minutia
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I have heard the reason they won't do the 77 uniforms is that while that team was good they didn't win anything and they don't want to celebrate a team that did not win anything. Or something to that affect.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Min:

From Brooks' interview at WSI:

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series. To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th. We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans. (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)

Lip

chisoxmike
06-19-2008, 04:57 PM
I have heard the reason they won't do the 77 uniforms is that while that team was good they didn't win anything and they don't want to celebrate a team that did not win anything. Or something to that affect.

For some reason, Sox fans/Chicago fans in general like to celebrate teams that don't do much. How many times have they celebrated the '83 team. Do we really need to celebrate them every five years? They did in '93 and 2003. They're doing it AGAIN this season.

The fact that some people around here were comparing this team to the '77 team earlier in the year and putting dancing bananas next to their statement was disgusting. What did the '77 team do besides fade away in the summer?

LET'S HONOR THE 2003 TEAM!!!!!

Lip Man 1
06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Chisox Mike:

If you are going to use the standard of "championships" then the pickings are going to be mighty slim.

To fans of any generation, certain teams have special meaning.

I can easily see, in my opinion, tributes to those great Sox teams of 1964 (won 98 games, lost pennant by one game), 1967 (won 89 games with the worst offense in the league, finished three back), 1972 (Dick Allen, need I say more?), 1977 (the Southside Hit Men), 1983, 1990 (the final season at Comiskey Park, won 94 games were expected to finish last), 1993-94 (combined) and eventually 2000 and 2005.

You don't automatically have to win a championship to have a good team beloved by fans.

On this Brooks and I disagree.

Lip

skobabe8
06-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I thought the question/answer about painting a logo behind home plate was pretty interesting. (they are having internal debates about it, but right now it is 'backburnered")