PDA

View Full Version : Kid Announcers

thomas35forever
06-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Most of us know that one of the fantasy experiences the White Sox offer is that your kid can announce the lineups for one inning. What do you think of them? I really don't mind them. Of course, how good the kid is varies. The kid announcing the lineup tonight during the third inning was really good I thought.

MUsoxfan
06-18-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't like it. For minor leagues it's fine, but there should always be professional PA announcers in ML parks

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't like it. For minor leagues it's fine, but there should always be professional PA announcers in ML parks
Agreed.

JB98
06-18-2008, 01:06 AM
I find it annoying. But then again, I'm the stereotypic grumpy, pissed off, joyless Sox fan. Maybe I'm not a good measuring stick.

gr8mexico
06-18-2008, 01:13 AM
WOW Who cares if a Kid annouced the name of the player during the game. By tomorrow you will forget all about it but this Kid is going to have a great story and something he will never forget
Get over it and have a cold one:gulp:

IlliniSox4Life
06-18-2008, 02:29 AM
I mean, obviously I would prefer to hear Gene Honda announce then some kid. He's the best in the business. But hearing kids for an inning doesn't upset me enough that I really care. There's plenty of other things I'll bitch about before that.

soxstarter
06-18-2008, 03:36 AM
WOW Who cares if a Kid annouced the name of the player during the game. By tomorrow you will forget all about it but this Kid is going to have a great story and something he will never forget

Agreed. Besides, if it were you they gave the opportunity.......would you turn it down?

RadioheadRocks
06-18-2008, 03:44 AM
It's only one inning; let a kid have a great memory they can cherish forever.

I'm pretty sure they do this at most ML parks these days.

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 04:42 AM
When I was a kid going to Comiskey, I always wanted to run the scoreboard --never once thought about being p.a. announcer.

DumpJerry
06-18-2008, 06:16 AM
:rolleyes:

If it bothers you, give your ticket to someone who is there to appreciate the game on the field.

skobabe8
06-18-2008, 07:45 AM
I actually thought the kid last night was pretty good. Way better than Tom Shaer.

For one inning its not a big deal.

BigPapaPump
06-18-2008, 07:58 AM
No complaints here. Normally I don't even notice the announcer anyways, but anything the orginization can do for the benefit of children I'm down with that.:yup:

Harry Potter
06-18-2008, 08:03 AM
I think it's a good idea.

If it really bothers you, put your fingers in your ear and hum to yourself loudly before each batter and you will never hear the kid's introduction
:cool:

TParkin550
06-18-2008, 08:07 AM
A great memory for the child. It benfits a charity by the monies that it brings in. Deal with it!

If this is the best thing that some of have to complain about, we're in pretty good shape!

TP:D:

Jerko
06-18-2008, 08:07 AM
I'll take the kid in the booth's voice any day over the harpy that screeches over the mic throughout the home run contest on the fundamentals deck. My friggin shades shattered last game her voice was so high. I think it would be cool to announce the batters for an inning so I'm sure the kid gets a thrill of a lifetime.

Chez
06-18-2008, 08:30 AM
I think it's great. And the money paid for the privilege goes to White Sox Charities.

BringBackBlkJack
06-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I voted for Gene but I didn't know about the money being generated for charities. I'll have to quote Gheorghe Muresan and switch "this one for the kids!!!"

TomBradley72
06-18-2008, 08:39 AM

It's a game. It's entertainment. It's supposed to be fun. I don't mind at all. Keep it to one of the early innings during weekday games....but I don't need a PA guy to tell me who's coming up any way.

BigPapaPump
06-18-2008, 09:17 AM
I'll have to e-mail Brooks Boyer to see if I can get my kid to be Roger Bossard for an inning!:redneck

scarsofthumper
06-18-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeGbujmcYy8

The only time it's funny for a kid to be on the mic.

pdimas
06-18-2008, 09:25 AM
I usually never notice but yesterday I did and the kid was pretty good I thought. He even did a better job pronouncing the Spanish last names than many announcers with the accent and everything :gulp:

Frontman
06-18-2008, 09:26 AM
And the money the kid's parents donated goes towards the White Sox charities anyway, so for an inning?

Not a problem for me.

pierzynski07
06-18-2008, 09:29 AM
:rolleyes:

If it bothers you, give your ticket to someone who is there to appreciate the game on the field.
So if someone is bothered by the kids PA announcer, they should give their ticket to someone who enjoys the actual game on the field? :scratch:

pdimas
06-18-2008, 10:18 AM
So if someone is bothered by the kids PA announcer, they should give their ticket to someone who enjoys the actual game on the field? :scratch:

I am guessing you missed the sarcasm....:tongue:

sox1970
06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Can't stand it. Kids are pandered to, too much.

comet2k
06-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I'll take the kid in the booth's voice any day over the harpy that screeches over the mic throughout the home run contest on the fundamentals deck. My friggin shades shattered last game her voice was so high. I think it would be cool to announce the batters for an inning so I'm sure the kid gets a thrill of a lifetime.

Agree! Those ultra-high frequency voices are worse than fingernails on a blackboard for me.

Let kids announce the batters for one inning, and let's concentrate on more important things here -- like whether the players should wear white shoes.

The Dude
06-18-2008, 10:31 AM
As long as the kids do the opposing players and they leave the Sox players to Gene, so he can use that voice of his to pump up the crowd, I'm all for it. :gulp:

kobo
06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Can't stand it. Kids are pandered to, too much.
Yeah, I mean, it's horrible that the Sox are doing this and trying to get kids not only interested in baseball but interested in the Sox. THE HORROR!!!

Let the kids have fun and have a memorable time at the Cell. If it really bothers some of you that much then I feel sorry for y'all.

sox1970
06-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I mean, it's horrible that the Sox are doing this and trying to get kids not only interested in baseball but interested in the Sox. THE HORROR!!!

Let the kids have fun and have a memorable time at the Cell. If it really bothers some of you that much then I feel sorry for y'all.

There's plenty at the park to let the kids have fun and have a memorable time. But it's consistent with our culture of pandering to kid's wants, and not needs.

btrain929
06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
It's only one inning; let a kid have a great memory they can cherish forever.

I'm pretty sure they do this at most ML parks these days.

Thank you. As long as Ron Santo isn't saying the names, and giving dumb commentary while the mic is still on, I can care less. Let them have fun.

comet2k
06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
There's plenty at the park to let the kids have fun and have a memorable time. But it's consistent with our culture of pandering to kid's wants, and not needs.

Actually, this might be more a case of parents pandering to their own wants. I'll bet the parents brag about the opportunity more than most kids, especially since they arranged it.

For anyone who wants to keep kids from announcing the players, should we also eliminate the home run contest on the fundamentals deck, the hockey shot and the dance contest? I think the last time I actually saw a good dancer was in 2006.

MeteorsSox4367
06-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Let the kids do it. Since I do the PA for our high school's football games, I was able to do the PA the last two years when our baseball team played its annual game at the Cell.

Getting to do the PA for a high school game in a major league park is awesome. When it's the home stadium for your favorite team, your 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox, even better.

Hitmen77
06-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Agree! Those ultra-high frequency voices are worse than fingernails on a blackboard for me.

Let kids announce the batters for one inning, and let's concentrate on more important things here -- like whether the players should wear white shoes.

They're worse than Brandon McCarthy?

kninchicago
06-18-2008, 11:12 AM
For anyone who wants to keep kids from announcing the players, should we also eliminate the home run contest on the fundamentals deck, the hockey shot and the dance contest? I think the last time I actually saw a good dancer was in 2006.

I could live with that, certainly.

comet2k
06-18-2008, 11:17 AM
They're worse than Brandon McCarthy?

I didn't realize he has a soprano. Big guy, squeaky voice?

Hitmen77
06-18-2008, 11:17 AM

:rolleyes: Let me go out on a limb and guess that you don't have kids. It's very easy for people without kids to think that any activity for kids is pandering to kids (and that every parent is a bad parent these days for that matter).

Nobody NEEDS to go to a baseball game. It's entertainment....and families are paying customers and the Sox have determined that serving them is good for the fanbase. Why is having fun events for kids "pandering"?

By your logic, one could argue that our culture panders way to much to single people in their 20s. Why all the beer at the park? It only promotes drunkenness. Then all these douchebags who just go to games and swear or are loud drunks ruin it for the rest of us. But it's consistent with our culture of pandering to that demographic.

tebman
06-18-2008, 11:33 AM
When I was a kid going to Comiskey, I always wanted to run the scoreboard --never once thought about being p.a. announcer.
So did I. I was a kid when Veeck installed the original monster scoreboard and thought the coolest job in the world would be to operate that thing and launch the fireworks, make the lights dance, and play the goofy noises.

PA announcer? Not so much, but I know if I had been asked I would've jumped at the chance.

Frontman
06-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Yikes. You don't think a kid having a memory of a lifetime isn't seeing to their needs? Special moments like that are something kids cherish. And something like that is truly special. Getting to run the bases, making the announcments, playing on the Fundamentals deck is the difference between the Cell and Wrigley. For all the talk about the Cell not being family friendly, its that type of activities that really make it for kids.

sox1970
06-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Yikes. You don't think a kid having a memory of a lifetime isn't seeing to their needs? Special moments like that are something kids cherish. And something like that is truly special. Getting to run the bases, making the announcments, playing on the Fundamentals deck is the difference between the Cell and Wrigley. For all the talk about the Cell not being family friendly, its that type of activities that really make it for kids.

Ok, fine...let the kids have their fun.

For the record, I have a Sox fan friend with a son, and he doesn't like the kid PA's either. Seems minor league to me.

gr8mexico
06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
:rolleyes: Let me go out on a limb and guess that you don't have kids. It's very easy for people without kids to think that any activity for kids is pandering to kids (and that every parent is a bad parent these days for that matter).

Nobody NEEDS to go to a baseball game. It's entertainment....and families are paying customers and the Sox have determined that serving them is good for the fanbase. Why is having fun events for kids "pandering"?

By your logic, one could argue that our culture panders way to much to single people in their 20s. Why all the beer at the park? It only promotes drunkenness. Then all these douchebags who just go to games and swear or are loud drunks ruin it for the rest of us. But it's consistent with our culture of pandering to that demographic.
I couldn't say it any better:gulp:

gr8mexico
06-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Ok, fine...let the kids have their fun.

For the record, I have a Sox fan friend with a son, and he doesn't like the kid PA's either. Seems minor league to me.
Ok ask the Kid if one day he would like to annouce his favorite player going up to bat and I bet you the Kid would love the idea.

Scottzilla
06-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Wow I feel bad for the poor sucker in the future, who has to listen to some guys story about how his parents paid for him to announce the PA for an inning.

haganaga
06-18-2008, 03:34 PM
This was tried once before and it didn't work out. Bottom line, he just came up too soon. :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxRkFtIIdA

rookie
06-18-2008, 05:23 PM
That kid last night was pretty good. Obviously, because of him we have a whole thread on the subject. Usually as a teacher out for summer vacation, the last thing I want to hear is kids, but it doesn't bother me. It's only one inning (though the inning went on and on so that kids' parents sure did get their money's worth).

BadBobbyJenks
06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Churros can't announce:dunno:

ilsox7
06-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Ah yes, this thread reminds me that if you offered to buy a $10 bill off of a Sox fan for $20, he/she would still complain about it.

chisoxmike
06-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I find it annoying. But then again, I'm the stereotypic grumpy, pissed off, joyless Sox fan. Maybe I'm not a good measuring stick.

:rolling: I'm right there with you.

Mohoney
06-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Children doing PA work makes me very angry.

I know that the kid might have a lifelong memory and all that other stupid fluff, but it angers me to no end.

Give me Gene Honda. The man knows his craft.

minutia
06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't really like it but then I am not that fond of kids either. That said if that was available when I was a kid I would have loved it but so I am a bit of a hypocrite here.