PDA

View Full Version : "Top five teams in Baseball?"

SoxandtheCityTee
06-17-2008, 03:07 PM
An article in today's ST about Piniella's return to Tampa refers to the Cubs and Rays as "two of the top five teams in baseball." The concept of a top five struck me as odd so I looked at the standings.

Obviously there are six division leaders. Tampa is not one of them, so even if you somehow toss out the first-place teams with the lowest number of wins (D-backs and Sox), how does Tampa get into this "top five" before the Cards, also in second and with two more wins? There are six teams with 40 or more wins, and Tampa is at the bottom of that list with 40; they also have the sixth best winning percentage (.580 coming into today) with two teams at .592 and three above that.

Not that it matters, but I'm curious. Am I missing something here?

spiffie
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
An article in today's ST about Piniella's return to Tampa refers to the Cubs and Rays as "two of the top five teams in baseball." The concept of a top five struck me as odd so I looked at the standings.

Obviously there are six division leaders. Tampa is not one of them, so even if you somehow toss out the first-place teams with the lowest number of wins (D-backs and Sox), how does Tampa get into this "top five" before the Cards, also in second and with two more wins? There are six teams with 40 or more wins, and Tampa is at the bottom of that list with 40; they also have the sixth best winning percentage (.580 coming into today) with two teams at .592 and three above that.

Not that it matters, but I'm curious. Am I missing something here?
With the injuries the Cards are dealing with, I would say that even though up to the now the Cards have a slightly better record when you factor in their current situations, and the idea that the AL is a harder league, it seems reasonable to move the Rays up into the top 5 as a matter of opinion.

getonbckthr
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I would take Tampa over St. Louis even if they had Pujols.

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I'd support Tampa as being #5 considering where they play (ALED).

SoxandtheCityTee
06-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh, I'm not suggesting that the Rays aren't a good team, or where they belong, or AL vs. NL, anything like that. It's just that this wasn't an opinion piece analyzing "these are my top five teams and why." It didn't say who the others were. It was about something else and he made this reference in passing as though we're all supposed to know what the top five means.

soxpride724
06-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I'd have to agree, Tampa over St Louis.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-17-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd have to agree, Tampa over St Louis.

I'd agree with that too if we were just talking about travel destinations. :tongue:

getonbckthr
06-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Top 5 teams are in my opinion:
1) Philly
2) Cubs
3) BoSox
4) Anaheim
5) TBay

spiffie
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Top 5 teams are in my opinion:
1) Philly
2) Cubs
3) BoSox
4) Anaheim
5) TBay
I'd probably flip the order, but the same top 5.
1. Boston
2. Cubs
3. Anaheim
4. Philly
5. Tampa

cws05champ
06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
All of your answers are wrong.

It's so the ST can say either:
1) Look the Cubs beat one of the top 5 teams in baseball or
2) Well, the Cubs lost to a good team, one of the top 5 in baseball on the road. No big deal.

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I'd agree with that too if we were just talking about travel destinations. :tongue:

What about Cleveland?

PatK
06-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Who cares what Lou thinks?

I lost respect for him when he whined like a baby and quit on the team he is now calling one of the "Top 5".

jabrch
06-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Top 5 to me is meaningless. It is an arbitrarily selected cutoff based only on either number of digits on an author's hand or the mathematic simplicity of multiples of 5.

Madscout
06-18-2008, 07:29 PM
All of your answers are wrong.

It's so the ST can say either:
1) Look the Cubs beat one of the top 5 teams in baseball or
2) Well, the Cubs lost to a good team, one of the top 5 in baseball on the road. No big deal.
As of now, it appears to be the second option. Hopefully it continues well into next weekend.