PDA

View Full Version : Barry Zito revisited

doublem23
06-17-2008, 12:37 PM
After winning 2 of his last 4 starts and 2 of his last 3 decisions, Zito dropped his 10th game of the season this weekend against Oakland (sweet irony).

Anyways, he's probably got another 18 or so starts this year and he's currently on pace to finish 5-23... Can he do it?

Last time we ran this poll in mid- to late-April, 86 votes were cast with 64 (just under 75%) saying he wouldn't hit the magic number.

Over By There
06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't think they'd let him get there. He would probably be sent to pen, or "get injured."

gobears1987
06-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I can't see him being allowed to lose 20 either. I can see him being sent to AAA to work out his problems sort of like what the Tigers have done to Dontrelle.

chaerulez
06-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I think it's just the opposite, with the money they are paying him they have no choice but to put him out there every 5 days or look like idiots.

Marqhead
06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
I think it's just the opposite, with the money they are paying him they have no choice but to put him out there every 5 days or look like idiots.

Not sure about that, they already demoted him to the bullpen once this year.

doublem23
06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Not sure about that, they already demoted him to the bullpen once this year.

Sort of... He didn't make any appearances out of the bullpen, though, they just skipped 1-2 of his starts.

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 02:01 PM

With how he's pitching I think what they look like has already been decided. But I agree, they basicly have to trot him out there every fifth day. I'd like to see someone lose twenty games in a year, Zito is as good (or bad) as anyone.

jabrch
06-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Too late?

Over By There
06-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Too late?

Exactly. I really don't see them trotting him out there every fifth day to make some kind of point - it's not like they'll be in contention in August and September, either. I would predict that he "gets injured" and is placed on the DL later in the season, which would "explain" his poor performance and save him from humiliation.

JB98
06-17-2008, 03:43 PM

I agree with you. They're not going to pay Zito not to pitch.

Boondock Saint
06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm gonna stick with my original thoughts, and that is that he'll lose 20+ unless the Giants do something drastic like stick him back in the 'pen.

soxfanreggie
06-17-2008, 07:06 PM
He'll got moved to the pen or "magically" placed on the DL.

PKalltheway
06-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't think Zito will lose 20, but I do think he'll come close. 16-19 losses certainly aren't out of the question.

Jerome
06-18-2008, 12:57 AM
that contract is major LOL

What has his problem been? It's not like he was ever one to be suspected of PED, was he? Has he had arm troubles? Has that big breaking ball just stopped breaking?

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Here's to hoping he wins his next start against Det. :gulp:

After that I don't really care as I am indifferent to the NL except during interleague

palehozenychicty
06-18-2008, 09:37 AM

What has his problem been? It's not like he was ever one to be suspected of PED, was he? Has he had arm troubles? Has that big breaking ball just stopped breaking?

His decline was slowly beginning after his 2003 season. I don't have his numbers ready accessible, but his WHIP was rising, fastball losing velocity, and then the bottom fell out.

Marqhead
06-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Pulled after 2 innings against the Tigers. 5 Earned, in line for the loss.

VenturaFan23
06-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Pulled after 2 innings against the Tigers. 5 Earned, in line for the loss.

Well if we didn't wake up the Tigers, you knew this guy sure would have. Then again, he wakes up ANY team's offense. Wow, talk about a 126 million dollar mistake!

thedudeabides
06-18-2008, 11:53 PM

I don't like to be one to speculate about guys using PED's, but he did play for the A's and has been declining since testing. He's either hurt or maybe the other thing. Nobody called out Clemens for a while, or look at the other A's big three. How has Mulder been since then? Hudson is doing well, but hes had his troubles. Chavez hasn't been healthy in years, and then there is Tejada and the Giambi brothers. The A's were a huge roid factory. I'm not saying Zito did it, but there are signs there.

Anyways, this contract may go down as the worst. Even if Driefort didn't pitch, he didn't hurt his team directly. Chan Ho Park was not good, but not this bad. This contract makes Soriano's look like a steal.

FedEx227
06-19-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't think PED are at work here.

There are a lot of simple answers.

1. He reworked his delivery which screwed up his curve-ball aka his best pitch and his out pitch.

2. He got worked real hard every single year and his arm has finally caught up with him.

3. He no longer has the spacious foul ground of the Colosseum which likely helped him through some starts as foul balls were outs, not extra pitches.

thedudeabides
06-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I don't think PED are at work here.

There are a lot of simple answers.

1. He reworked his delivery which screwed up his curve-ball aka his best pitch and his out pitch.

2. He got worked real hard every single year and his arm has finally caught up with him.

3. He no longer has the spacious foul ground of the Colosseum which likely helped him through some starts as foul balls were outs, not extra pitches.

You may be right, and I hate making implications of PED use, but with the A's it's always there. And to you third point SF has one of the most pitcher friendly parks in baseball.

FedEx227
06-19-2008, 12:50 AM
You may be right, and I hate making implications of PED use, but with the A's it's always there. And to you third point SF has one of the most pitcher friendly parks in baseball.

Agreed, I know I've subscribed to the "guilty until proven innocent" ideals when it comes to the MLB too. So I absolutely see where you're coming from.

And yes, SF is pitcher friendly, but it doesn't mean a whole lot when your fastball tops out at 85, and your 12-6 curve breaks into the heart of the plate.

Palehose Pete
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
After last night's ass-tacular performance, I say yes, yes he will lose 20 games this season.

Worst. Signing. Ever.

White City
06-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Hudson was, and is, the real deal. As of a few days ago, he was leading MLB in quality starts.

Zito -- well, remember when ESPN and the Beane-ophiles said he was a better version of Mark Buehrle? Suck it, boys!

Eddo144
06-19-2008, 01:07 PM

The problem is giving a long-term, big-money contract to a pitcher. They're just too risky.

Even as euphoric as the Mets were to get Santana, even that's a huge risk; one injury can really snowball and stop a pitcher from being effective ever again.

FarWestChicago
06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
It's not just the possibility :smokin: was another of the endless line of A's 'roiders. In :smokin: case, there are other drugs. The dude is a serious head.