PDA

View Full Version : Beckham big in UGA's CWS win

wulfy
06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Mods: If this isn't in the right spot, please move.

Big win last night (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/06/16/gacws_0617.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab)for the Bulldogs over Stanford - putting UGA at 2-0 and in control of Bracket 1.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/00/61/99/slideshow_599610_doubleplay.jpg

First round pick Gordon Beckham went 2 for 4, with 2 runs scored including the game tying run. He also had 6 assists in the field.

sox1970
06-17-2008, 11:42 AM
He's a player. I watched the game last night, and he made a couple nice plays at SS too. He has a gun for an arm.

I think they drafted the right guy for this team.

btrain929
06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
He's a player. I watched the game last night, and he made a couple nice plays at SS too. He has a gun for an arm.

I think they drafted the right guy for this team.

I heard his frame is better suited for 2B. Do you think he could stick at SS? Either way, no matter how you flip flop it, a future middle combination of Alexei and Beckham is very tantalizing. It's far away, and a good amount of development and improvement has to be involved, but it's still a nice thought.

sox1970
06-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I heard his frame is better suited for 2B. Do you think he could stick at SS? Either way, no matter how you flip flop it, a future middle combination of Alexei and Beckham is very tantalizing. It's far away, and a good amount of development and improvement has to be involved, but it's still a nice thought.

Yeah, I think the same thing. He's not a big guy by any means. I think they're being generous saying he's 6'-185.

He could definitely be moved to 2B, but that'll be determined as he goes along. Hopefully they'll get him signed so he can play a little bit before the minor league season ends. Maybe the Arizona Fall League is in the plans. It wouldn't shock me if had a September callup in 2009, and an everyday player in 2010.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Does anyone who has seen Beckham play think that he could play third base?

Hypothetically, if Ramirez pans out at shortstop and Richar at second base, and assuming Crede leaves, we've got Fields at third base.

We all know that Fields is subpar defensively and may be best suited for 1B/DH.

So if Ramirez and Richar have entrenched themselves in the middle infield, could Beckham play well at third (to allow Fields to move to 1B or DH)?

BeeBeeRichard
06-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Mods: If this isn't in the right spot, please move.

Big win last night (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/06/16/gacws_0617.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab)for the Bulldogs over Stanford - putting UGA at 2-0 and in control of Bracket 1.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/00/61/99/slideshow_599610_doubleplay.jpg

First round pick Gordon Beckham went 2 for 4, with 2 runs scored including the game tying run. He also had 6 assists in the field.

I hate that goddamned Packers logo.

Corlose 15
06-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Does anyone who has seen Beckham play think that he could play third base?

Hypothetically, if Ramirez pans out at shortstop and Richar at second base, and assuming Crede leaves, we've got Fields at third base.

We all know that Fields is subpar defensively and may be best suited for 1B/DH.

So if Ramirez and Richar have entrenched themselves in the middle infield, could Beckham play well at third (to allow Fields to move to 1B or DH)?

I have not seen him play but Doug Lauman, the amateur scouting director for the Sox who drafted him, said that Beckham could play SS,2B, and 3B so it is a possibility.

whitesoxfan
06-17-2008, 04:45 PM
I hate that goddamned Packers logo.

I think it's quite beautiful.

KRS1
06-17-2008, 05:17 PM
All this talk about him needing to move from SS because of his "frame" is utter nonsense. Watch the guy field the position just one game, and you will see exactly why. Great arm, instincts, top notch reaction, and way more than "adequate range." Sure he could add another 10-15 lbs and likely stay just as rangy and athletic if need be, but the guy is already very strong and just plain athletically built. Look at the frames of past GG winners at SS; Vizquel, Orlando, Rollins, Izturis, Rey O, all small guys and some even of the "small and wiry" variety. Probably not the range or pure quickness that some of those guys possessed, but he is is infinitely more rangy than guys like Jhhhhony or JJ Hardy.

btrain929
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I have not seen him play but Doug Lauman, the amateur scouting director for the Sox who drafted him, said that Beckham could play SS,2B, and 3B so it is a possibility.

If you can do a great job at SS, then 2B, and ESPECIALLY 3B are not hard transitions.

SoxxoS
06-17-2008, 09:11 PM
All this talk about him needing to move from SS because of his "frame" is utter nonsense. Watch the guy field the position just one game, and you will see exactly why. Great arm, instincts, top notch reaction, and way more than "adequate range." Sure he could add another 10-15 lbs and likely stay just as rangy and athletic if need be, but the guy is already very strong and just plain athletically built. Look at the frames of past GG winners at SS; Vizquel, Orlando, Rollins, Izturis, Rey O, all small guys and some even of the "small and wiry" variety. Probably not the range or pure quickness that some of those guys possessed, but he is is infinitely more rangy than guys like Jhhhhony or JJ Hardy.

+1

Britt Burns
06-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I think he will be just fine at short, but if not it's good to know he could be an above-average 2b.

SouthSide2Ship
06-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I love the dawgs. I have a buddy from chicago who actually went to UGA for school and had nothing but good things to say about this kid. I think beckham will be on the south side for many years!

Daver
06-19-2008, 09:14 PM

You don't have to be an athlete to be a ballplayer, this kid is a genuine ballplayer, in every aspect.

KRS1
06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
You don't have to be an athlete to be a ballplayer, this kid is a genuine ballplayer, in every aspect.

Where in my post did I say you had to be? The athlete comment was strictly used to say that the guy has the frame to add on pounds if needed, and he would likely stay just as athletic (as relates to range, flexibility, quickness, and what have you, needed to stick at SS). Personally, I don't think much (if any) weight gain is necessary because he is a strong, well-built guy. However, like I said, if he has to his frame can easily pack on the pounds without taking away any of the above mentioned attributes he currently has.

Daver
06-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Where in my post did I say you had to be? The athlete comment was strictly used to say that the guy has the frame to add on pounds if needed, and he would likely stay just as athletic (as relates to range, flexibility, quickness, and what have you, needed to stick at SS). Personally, I don't think much (if any) weight gain is necessary because he is a strong, well-built guy. However, like I said, if he has to his frame can easily pack on the pounds without taking away any of the above mentioned attributes he currently has.

I was agreeing with you.

KRS1
06-19-2008, 09:36 PM
I was agreeing with you.

Oh, my bad. :redface:

peeonwrigley
06-20-2008, 12:45 AM
I haven't read anything that suggests this, but I also haven't seen anything the other way, so I thought I'd ask.

Is there any concern that this kid will be tough to sign? I hope not, I'm excited to watch his development.

btrain929
06-20-2008, 12:48 AM
I haven't read anything that suggests this, but I also haven't seen anything the other way, so I thought I'd ask.

Is there any concern that this kid will be tough to sign? I hope not, I'm excited to watch his development.

Leading up to the draft, I didn't hear he was going to ask an insane amount of money like we heard about others. Plus, the #1 pick out of high school pulled in a little over 6 million. So I'm guessing that would mean Beckham at 3-4 million max, which I think is worth it.

California Sox
06-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Leading up to the draft, I didn't hear he was going to ask an insane amount of money like we heard about others. Plus, the #1 pick out of high school pulled in a little over 6 million. So I'm guessing that would mean Beckham at 3-4 million max, which I think is worth it.

College players these days all seem to be angling for major league deals. I don't think Beckham's going to be a particularly tough sign, but I would not be surprised if it strings out until August 15th. MLB forces teams to announce any signing over slot or any major league deal as late in the signing season as possible. You can book that Jordan Danks won't sign until August.

btrain929
06-23-2008, 11:57 AM
For everyone who is interested and wasn't aware, Gordon Beckham and Georgia is now in the CWS Championship series, and that will be a best of 3 series going on Mon, Tue, and Wed (I believe) this week. Since I skipped work today (mainly to avoid the BS from the Cub fans), I figured I'd take advantage and watch Game 1.

Tekijawa
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Think he'll be ready for the start on Thursday? If this guy can get 2 hits in 1 game we need him on the roster now!

gobears1987
06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Beckham just had an amazing unassisted DP.

BadBobbyJenks
06-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Yes that was an athletic play and he will be coming up in the bottom half of the 8th with Georgia trailing by 3 on ESPN 2.

sox1970
06-23-2008, 09:41 PM

Looked like he was shaking out the wrist a little after that.

No injuries, Gordon.

DSpivack
06-23-2008, 09:48 PM
And he HRs in the 8th to bring UGA within a run!

06-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Dude's a stud.

06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
If you're not watching this game, you're missing out!

Huisj
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
That was a heck of a game. Beckham has been playing his rear end off this whole tournament, and tonight he was incredible again. Wow. And Fields has some nasty nasty stuff, though his control still doesn't look particularly great. I think Seattle drafted him, right?

SouthSide2Ship
06-23-2008, 10:26 PM
That was a heck of a game. Beckham has been playing his rear end off this whole tournament, and tonight he was incredible again. Wow. And Fields has some nasty nasty stuff, though his control still doesn't look particularly great. I think Seattle drafted him, right?

yes seattle. go beckham and the dawgs!!!!!!!

spongyfungy
06-23-2008, 10:29 PM

I think the braves did

oeo
06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I think the braves did

Last year they did, but he went back to school. The Mariners picked him this year.

DSpivack
06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I think the braves did

The Braves drafted him last year, but he didn't sign. Seattle drafted him this year.

btrain929
06-23-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm watching the replay of it now. Wow did Beckham pulverize that pitch. I like his stance at the plate too: not too much movement, stays balanced, Chicago Tough, etc.

I wonder how much doe he's gonna be looking for....

UofCSoxFan
06-23-2008, 11:06 PM

I think Fields (from Georgia) could be a huge bust. He has good stuff but no command at all. Last year he had 8 blown saves as he was averaging almosat a walk an inning. He was very shakey against Stanford on Saturday (I believe it was) when they put him in up 10-4 and he gave up 4 to make it 10-8.

Huisj
06-23-2008, 11:46 PM
I think Fields (from Georgia) could be a huge bust. He has good stuff but no command at all. Last year he had 8 blown saves as he was averaging almosat a walk an inning. He was very shakey against Stanford on Saturday (I believe it was) when they put him in up 10-4 and he gave up 4 to make it 10-8.

And really, it wouldn't be unprecedented for a hard-throwing college closer to be a bust in the big leagues either. Blowing college guys away with bad command of a hard fastball is a whole lot different than blowing MLB guys away with bad command of a hard fastball. Matt Anderson could tell you that (although injuries had just as much to do with his struggles as command did).

SoxSpeed22
06-24-2008, 12:14 AM
There are plenty of pitchers who got by on their stuff that didn't pan out. That's why baseball is more mental than it is physical.
I am already excited about seeing Beckham play on the Sox. He just makes the right plays at the right time and those players always have good careers.

jabrch
06-24-2008, 12:20 AM
There are plenty of pitchers who got by on their stuff that didn't pan out. That's why baseball is more mental than it is physical.
I am already excited about seeing Beckham play on the Sox. He just makes the right plays at the right time and those players always have good careers.

well...not exactly. Even the most fundamentally solid, high performing college prospects are still major crapshoots.

06-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Beckham looks like a solid ballplayer. I'm exciting to watch him rise

Optipessimism
06-24-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm watching the replay of it now. Wow did Beckham pulverize that pitch. I like his stance at the plate too: not too much movement, stays balanced, Chicago Tough, etc.

I wonder how much doe he's gonna be looking for....
I don't know but doesn't the hunting season begin in the fall?

btrain929
06-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't know but doesn't the hunting season begin in the fall?

Touche'.

btrain929
06-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Looks like Georgia is going to lose the College championship as its 6-1 in the 9th, but he did hit another HR tonight, accounting for another run, and a line drive to the warning track to the opposite field.

Now let's get him signed quick and get a wood bat in his hands....

Daver
06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Looks like Georgia is going to lose the College championship as its 6-1 in the 9th, but he did hit another HR tonight, accounting for another run, and a line drive to the warning track to the opposite field.

Now let's get him signed quick and get a wood bat in his hands....

He's played in the Cape Cod League, he has experience with a wood bat.

SoxSpeed22
06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Congratulations to Fresno State. The underdog bulldogs pull off one of the most improbable runs in sports history. Now get Beckham signed, KW.

SoxNation05
06-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I think Beckham will be a Derek Jeter type hitter with more power and less batting average.

btrain929
06-25-2008, 10:42 PM

Where in my post did I say he didn't?

South Side Irish
06-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Relax, dude. I don't think he was calling you out, just letting you/others know he's played with wood before.

btrain929
06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Relax, dude. I don't think he was calling you out, just letting you/others know he's played with wood before.

It's Daver. He always calls you out.........dude.

Daver
06-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Where in your post did you say he did?

UofCSoxFan
06-25-2008, 11:20 PM

He led said league in home runs too. His power isn't just a product of the aluminum bat.

btrain929
06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Where in your post did you say he did?

:scratch:

That wasn't the purpose of my original post. It was to state he is officially done with his college tournament and the quicker we sign him the more at-bats he'll get against some better competition without the ringing sound of aluminum.

Daver
06-25-2008, 11:28 PM
:scratch:

That wasn't the purpose of my original post. It was to state he is officially done with his college tournament and the quicker we sign him the more at-bats he'll get against some better competition without the ringing sound of aluminum.

So to expand on that is the wrong thing to do?

Or you don't like anyone else stepping in on your self entitled right to speak on minor league baseball?

btrain929
06-25-2008, 11:41 PM
So to expand on that is the wrong thing to do?

Or you don't like anyone else stepping in on your self entitled right to speak on minor league baseball?

Expanding on what I said would have been "it's a good thing he was in the cape cod league so using a wood bat won't be too much of an adjustment for him." But, instead, you chose the combative route making it sound like I'm an idiot that didn't know he's used wood before, trying to show your authority. That's your schtick, always is, always will be.

I'll leave it at that before I dish out personal attacks that you, well, deserve.

SoxNation05
06-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I gotta side with btrain. Daver is always right no matter what and he will always call you out because he will have arm chair mods backing him up.

KRS1
06-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Well then, to get back on track.

Gordon couldn't have possibly done any more to help his team win. He got like one opportunity with runners on those last two games and that really sucks for him and Georgia. Oh well, gotta stay hungry young man.

Daver
06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Expanding on what I said would have been "it's a good thing he was in the cape cod league so using a wood bat won't be too much of an adjustment for him." But, instead, you chose the combative route making it sound like I'm an idiot that didn't know he's used wood before, trying to show your authority. That's your schtick, always is, always will be.

I'll leave it at that before I dish out personal attacks that you, well, deserve.

I gotta side with btrain. Daver is always right no matter what and he will always call you out because he will have arm chair mods backing him up.

If you don't like the way things are done here, post elsewhere.

btrain929
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
If you don't like the way things are done here, post elsewhere.

No, that's alright. 99% of what happens here is great, informative, and fun. I'm not gonna let you, the 1%, shoo me away and ruin any of the above.