PDA

View Full Version : Sox in New York - anyone know Yankee Stadium?

ChicagoHoosier
06-17-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm hoping to road trip to Yankee Stadium to catch the Sox. On StubHub.com, there are tons of seats in the upper upper area behind home plate at a reasonable price ($21 a ticket).

Anyone sat up there before? I went to seatdata.com and it appeared to be not much different that high up in the UD at the Cell. $21 seems like a pretty good price.

Later in the summer, I'm sure I or someone else will take a roll call.

Thanks!

C-Dawg
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
$21 sounds pretty good to me, it IS New York and the final season at Yankee Stadium, after all. I'd jump on them.

I haven't sat up there but did wander around in the upper deck. Its steep, and the rows go pretty high (much higher than the reconfigured Cell upper deck). Being behind home plate though, you should have a great view in my opinion.

TomBradley72
06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm hoping to road trip to Yankee Stadium to catch the Sox. On StubHub.com, there are tons of seats in the upper upper area behind home plate at a reasonable price ($21 a ticket).

Anyone sat up there before? I went to seatdata.com and it appeared to be not much different that high up in the UD at the Cell. $21 seems like a pretty good price.

Thanks!

From my experience...the upper deck at Yankee Stadium is similar in height to the UD at the Cell. Get there early and give yourself plenty of time to walk around and explore the park...lots of "nooks and crannies' like Old Comiskey.

06-17-2008, 09:34 AM
From my experience...the upper deck at Yankee Stadium is similar in height to the UD at the Cell. Get there early and give yourself plenty of time to walk around and explore the park...lots of "nooks and crannies' like Old Comiskey.

Yes, and I do know there was a lengthy thread about Yankee Stadium and NYC in general in another section of the board, but one thing bears repeating ... if at all possible, anyone who goes should take the Yankee Stadium tour. Details are available at the Yankee website. This will allow you an insiders experience and it's well worth it.

In fact, having been to most of MLB's ballparks, the tours are very worthwhile at just about every one.

FUram5585
06-17-2008, 09:37 AM
The upper deck is full of nice views, not the worst place to see a game from especially from the MVP tier of the upper deck. I would reccomend the arthur ave deli for food, it is in the UD right behind home plate, the best taste of the Bronx at the ball park!

EastCoastSoxFan
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Upper deck behind the plate was the perfect place from which to watch Big Frank hit a grand slam off the foul pole against Roger Clemens.

As others have said, the angle is pretty steep; and also the seats are from an era when people were just generally smaller than they are today (or else fire codes were less stringent).
The seats are extremely narrow and there is almost no legroom -- basically it's a 55,000-seat sardine can.

But the fans who go to these games (at least the ones I've encountered) are hardcore and knowledgeable baseball fans. If you just want to talk baseball with fans who probably know at least as much as you do, Yankee Stadium is the place.

asindc
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I was there in 2006 when the Sox came to NY. Sat in the LF upper deck, about 20 feet beyond 3B. Very good seats, that cost me more than your seats will. That said, jump on it. Last season of the park, after all.

I also was there a few years before that in the bleachers. If you are taking children, don't sit there. I'm not kidding.

DSpivack
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I was there in 2006 when the Sox came to NY. Sat in the LF upper deck, about 20 feet beyond 3B. Very good seats, that cost me more than your seats will. That said, jump on it. Last season of the park, after all.

I also was there a few years before that in the bleachers. If you are taking children, don't sit there. I'm not kidding.

A caveat to that would be the bleachers in LF, there's a no-alcohol section that is full of families.

Chez
06-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Yes, and I do know there was a lengthy thread about Yankee Stadium and NYC in general in another section of the board, but one thing bears repeating ... if at all possible, anyone who goes should take the Yankee Stadium tour. Details are available at the Yankee website. This will allow you an insiders experience and it's well worth it.

In fact, having been to most of MLB's ballparks, the tours are very worthwhile at just about every one.

I agree. The tour of Yankee Stadium was terrific.

ike from nj
06-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks!
remember upper deck at yankee stadium much bigger than the cell. if you get too far up much higher than the cell. still worth going for last season. if you go from manhattan take the subway. dont drive!

FUram5585
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
A caveat to that would be the bleachers in LF, there's a no-alcohol section that is full of families.

Ive been to alot of games in the bleachers(which are all no alchol sections) and I would say that although tamer than right field, there many many better places to sit with your family at the stadium, that being said I should be at all 4 games that week and will choose the uppers over the bleachers to be sporting my White Sox gear

DSpivack
06-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Ive been to alot of games in the bleachers(which are all no alchol sections) and I would say that although tamer than right field, there many many better places to sit with your family at the stadium, that being said I should be at all 4 games that week and will choose the uppers over the bleachers to be sporting my White Sox gear

Yeah, I was just judging on the one game I was at in May. They were playing the Mariners and it was a Yankees blowout, so the crowd seemed pretty relaxed and calm.

SoxOnTop
06-17-2008, 05:31 PM
I was just at Yankee Stadium 2 weeks ago for the Yanks v Bluejays game. The UD is extremely steep, but I did not have any problems walking around the entire park and sitting almost anywhere I saw an open seat. The only seat security is for the inner circle on the lower deck. 2nd Tier seats (akin to the club level at the Cell) were great.

Do not get a Bleacher seat if you intend to walk around the stadium. I don't think you can get access to most of the stadium from there. Better to get UD.

Since the place is so big and the Yanks are playing well there should be plenty of open seats.

nysox35
06-18-2008, 12:26 AM
The Upper Deck is fine. I sit up there all the time. Even the highest row up (X) isn't that terrible if you're within sections 1-20 or so.
The lower the #, the better the section (1 & 2 right behind home plate).

Good luck.